Denard Span

Moderator: Ralnor

TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Denard Span 

Post#1 » by TheFranchise21 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:49 am

I love this guy. I felt bad for him when he got sent down during ST. I think it was more of an PR/image type move by the Twins to hand the CF job to Gomez. They needed at least one player from the Johan trade to be a full-time player and because of that, Span had to get sent down.

He's been playing very well during his tenure in the bigs. And today, he played like a prototype leadoff man.

We're in such a tricky situation too. We can't move Gomez from his leadoff spot cause it would probably hurt his feelings and stunt his development. While Span is the best fit at the top of the order, Gomez needs to be there. It looks like Span is a nice fit in the bottom of the order though.

We need to find a way to keep this guy up here once Cuddyer gets back. Span is a good player and a great guy. Didn't pout or complain about getting sent down. He just went out and proved in Triple A why he belongs in the bigs.
My Kobe Bryant website I designed myself: http://personal.stthomas.edu/dnnguyen/kb24.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,384

Re: Denard Span 

Post#2 » by Klomp » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:50 pm

TheFranchise21 wrote:We're in such a tricky situation too. We can't move Gomez from his leadoff spot cause it would probably hurt his feelings and stunt his development. While Span is the best fit at the top of the order, Gomez needs to be there. It looks like Span is a nice fit in the bottom of the order though.

I remember Gomez saying he would rather be a middle of the lineup guy eventually. Put him either third before MM or 5th after MM, then move Span to leadoff.
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,604

Post#3 » by Worm Guts » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:36 pm

It looks like Span has figured out the art of the walk. His OBP has skyrocketed this season compared to his previous seasons in the minors. As long as his OBP stays above .370, he's a decent player. The worst part of the Santana trade is that the key piece was a centerfielder and this year our only prospects that have performed at a high level are centerfielders, Span and Revere.
TheFranchise21
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by TheFranchise21 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:01 pm

klomp44, Gomez says he envisions himself batting third in a year or two. I think he has adequate power to be a 3rd in the order guy. He just needs to take more pitches and not swing at everything.

Worm Guts, I'm not a huge stat guy when it comes to baseball but how do you judge OBP? Like batting average is easy, you could probably say a .275 hitter is average, .290+ is above average, .300 is good, .315+ is very good. But for OBP, how does it go?

Span has definitely come a long ways when it comes to drawing walks. I had a lot of hope for him and Matt Moses back when they were drafted in the first round in back to back years. Then after 2-3 years, they both didn't look like anything more than MLB backups at best. But now, Span is looking like an everyday CF. He went 4-4 today with a walk.

One last question for you WG, I was looking at some player's stats the other day, forgot who, but their batting average was higher than their OBP, how does that work?
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#5 » by Worm Guts » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:23 pm

TheFranchise21 wrote:
One last question for you WG, I was looking at some player's stats the other day, forgot who, but their batting average was higher than their OBP, how does that work?

I don't think it is possible. If it is, I don't how.

TheFranchise21 wrote:
Worm Guts, I'm not a huge stat guy when it comes to baseball but how do you judge OBP? Like batting average is easy, you could probably say a .275 hitter is average, .290+ is above average, .300 is good, .315+ is very good. But for OBP, how does it go?

I'm not a huge stats guy either, but for a frame of reference I look at the league leaders. Right now, Milton Bradley leads the league at .440, Mauer is 2nd at .420, JD Drew is 3rd at .405. I'd call anything over .400 awesome and anything over .380 very good. (Barry Bonds best year was .609!)
collin_k41
Analyst

Post#6 » by collin_k41 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:23 am

It really seems like we have a ton of young and upcoming outfielders. We can't use all of them so hopefully they can make good trade bait. Not to say that I want to trade Span just that eventually some of them have to go.
NewWulf
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#7 » by NewWulf » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:50 am

From what I've heard, I think Span's here to stay. I don't know who they'd get rid of but Span's too good to not get into the lineup regularly.

One thing's for certain: Span's a better 4th OF than Lew Ford. How's that for going out on a limb? :lol:

He can rotate through the OF, plus be a late-inning defensive replacement plus be DH a bit.

BTW, I think it's quite possible that they use Revere & a minor league arm to get a blalock or a reliever.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#8 » by Worm Guts » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:51 pm

Blalock has missed most of the last two seasons and was mediocre the year before that. There's no way I'd trade Revere for him. I think Revere is probably our best prospect.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#9 » by john2jer » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:43 pm

Chances of getting Beltre? The Mariners are done this year, and I'm sure they'd like to clear Beltre off their payroll. Only thing is he makes 12mil a year.

If we could move a couple prospects and get Seattle to pick up a portion of his salary, he'd look great at 3rd Base. Great right-handed bat to help us against lefties. He also has a gold glove, so our defense would improve. That would help since it's been a little down this year compared to year's past. It would stable the left side of the infield.
kg2005
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by kg2005 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:03 pm

TheFranchise21 wrote:

A sac fly will maintain your batting average but lower your OBP.
kg2005
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by kg2005 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:05 pm

john2jer wrote:Chances of getting Beltre? The Mariners are done this year, and I'm sure they'd like to clear Beltre off their payroll. Only thing is he makes 12mil a year.

If we could move a couple prospects and get Seattle to pick up a portion of his salary, he'd look great at 3rd Base. Great right-handed bat to help us against lefties. He also has a gold glove, so our defense would improve. That would help since it's been a little down this year compared to year's past. It would stable the left side of the infield.

I really don't think they'll do the Beltre thing. It would be nice, but as far as I can tell they haven't even asked Seattle about it.
kg2005
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by kg2005 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:07 pm

NewWulf wrote:From what I've heard, I think Span's here to stay. I don't know who they'd get rid of but Span's too good to not get into the lineup regularly.

One thing's for certain: Span's a better 4th OF than Lew Ford. How's that for going out on a limb? :lol:

He can rotate through the OF, plus be a late-inning defensive replacement plus be DH a bit.

BTW, I think it's quite possible that they use Revere & a minor league arm to get a blalock or a reliever.

Blalock probably wouldn't be a good idea. His home/away splits are ridiculous. Getting a reliever would also be a pretty bad idea. How often do you see a trade work out where somebody gets a good reliever? The most consistent arms are far too expensive.
NewWulf
Ballboy

Post#13 » by NewWulf » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:51 am

Span went hitless tonight but he's still hitting .307, which is better than we had a right to expect. He's here to stay.

Getting Beltre would be a great move which I can see happening if the price is right in terms of prospects. The Twins have the room to fit him in. More importantly, he'd make pitchers think twice about pitching around Justin late in the game.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#14 » by Worm Guts » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:19 pm

kg2005 wrote:
john2jer wrote:Chances of getting Beltre? The Mariners are done this year, and I'm sure they'd like to clear Beltre off their payroll. Only thing is he makes 12mil a year.

I really don't think they'll do the Beltre thing. It would be nice, but as far as I can tell they haven't even asked Seattle about it.

Lavelle E. Neal said they've talked to Seattle about it.
NewWulf
Ballboy

Post#15 » by NewWulf » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:51 pm

Worm Guts wrote:
kg2005 wrote:

Lavelle E. Neal said they've talked to Seattle about it.

LaVelle has a post up saying that it's unlikely that they'll get Beltre because the M's are asking for way too much, something like one of our young starters + a prospect. Screw that.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves

Post#16 » by Worm Guts » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:57 am

I wondering if we shouldn't make Span our starting centerfielder when Cuddyer gets back. Gomez has alot more potential but Span is better right and gives us a better shot to compete.
kg2005
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by kg2005 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:38 pm

It all depends upon if you're playing for now or the future. It would probably help us on both fronts if we just sent him to Rochester, but I don't see that happening.

Return to Minnesota Twins