ImageImageImageImageImage

Are you Ok with the Yanks standing pat at the trade deadline?

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#1 » by Dr. Detfink » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:19 pm

Cole Hamels...Chapman...CĂ©spedes...David Price...There are a lot of pieces that can help make the Yankees even better than they are. Right now, the KC Royals are in the driver's seat to repeat as AL Champs. Toronto Blue Jays are set to make a serious run behind the Yanks. Things are tightening up.

In year's past, the Yanks would deal to win today. But the mindset seems to be, just make the playoffs. Are you comfortable with this?
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,460
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#2 » by BKlutch » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:03 am

Tonight, at least, the hitting seems pretty good in the early innings.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
NickAndersonsBack25
Rookie
And1: 67

Re: Are you Ok with the Yanks standing pat at the trade deadline? 

Post#3 » by NickAndersonsBack25 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:18 am

Given that the Royals seem to be much better, I'd rather not sacrifice the future. But if something comes along that doesn't kill the future, I'm game for it
Bobby Knight says:
"Most people have the will to win, few have the will to prepare to win."
"You don't play against opponents, you play against the game of basketball. "
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#4 » by Grover » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:55 pm

I'm surprised with the lack of love for Prado. He takes over for Drew at second, backs up Headley at third and Tex if Headley moves over to first, is right-handed insurance for an outfield injury. The Yanks are already paying $3M of his salary so it seems like a no brainer to me as a upgrade and excellent insurance policy and won't cost much by way of prospect.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#5 » by moocow007 » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:12 pm

There has to be someone that can make an impact and help this team push through the playoffs that doesn't require trading Severino, Judge, Bird or Mateo. Sanchez, Clarkin, something? I would not stand pat. Doesn't have to be a Hamels or some such but they should do something. What would it take to get Kimbrel? I do like the "if you can't trade for a top notch starter, let's stock up on relievers." approach. I think offensively they are fine.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#6 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:35 pm

Well the Blue Jays went all in, grabbing David Price and Troy Toluwitski. Toronto is going to be CHOMPING at the Yanks' butts in this second half.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by moocow007 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:58 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:Well the Blue Jays went all in, grabbing David Price and Troy Toluwitski. Toronto is going to be CHOMPING at the Yanks' butts in this second half.

What's interesting to note is that Daniel Norris, the best player going to the Tigers, is ranked lower than both Severino and Judge on the prospect totem pole despite Norris having actually played already in the majors.

The good news is that the Yankees generally have done well against Price (relatively speaking of course). McCann, Ellsbury and Headley have hit Price real well in particular in the past. In the last 4 years, Price has posted a 6-5 record with a 4.5 era against the Yankees.
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#8 » by isiah_thomas » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:45 pm

Blue Jays missing the playoffs and losing Price would be funny
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#9 » by isiah_thomas » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:46 pm

Yankees need to add some type of pitcher before the deadline and if they can upgrade 2nd from Drew since they don't seem to believe in Refsynder that would work
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by moocow007 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:47 pm

isiah_thomas wrote:Yankees need to add some type of pitcher before the deadline and if they can upgrade 2nd from Drew since they don't seem to believe in Refsynder that would work

Maybe Ackley will turn things around but this season he's been pretty much worse than Drew in almost every way.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#11 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:22 pm

Well, the Yanks are going with what they have...
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#12 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Aug 1, 2015 9:40 pm

The New York Yankees were prepared to include Jorge Mateo while taking back Jedd Gyorko in order to acquire Craig Kimbrel from the San Diego Padres.

Mateo is the Yankees' third ranked prospect, while Gyorko has $33 million remaining on his contract beyond 2015 and has been underperforming.

Whew. THAT would have been a colossal mistake. This is why I get nervous with Brian Cashman around.

NO MORE F-ing relievers!!!!!

Get some goddam starting pitching.
Grover
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#13 » by Grover » Mon Aug 3, 2015 4:59 pm

Next year's nearly $184M before arbitration raises might have had something to do with it but I'm happy that Severino and Judge were not moved for rentals. The August waiver opportunities will certainly avail themselves as several players are unlikely to be claimed that might benefit the staff and I like Prado even more as he only costs the Yanks an additional $8M for this year and next. I'm fascinated by the prospect of how many and who he might exposed alongside Sabathia and probably Ryan. Largely guarding against catastrophic injuries in terms of numbers I expect several of the high priced position players to be exposed and pass through or be pulled back should a claim be filed but what if by some odd chance a team makes a claim against Arod or Beltran. It would be an interesting dilemma.

Return to New York Yankees