Yankees acquire 3B Chase Headley

Moderator: nykgeneralmanager

bishnykfan
Knicks Forum Game Commish
And1: 13,669

Yankees acquire 3B Chase Headley 

Post#1 » by bishnykfan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:38 pm

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_ ... ego-padres

Yankees get an upgrade at 3B. Headley has been rumored to NY for awhile. Goodbye to Solarte and minor league pitcher Rafael De Paula. Headley is hitting just .229 this year, but has 7 HRs and 32 RBIs in a pitchers park. He should be an offensive upgrade over Solarte. Basically its a lightning in a bottle deal similar to the McCarthy-Nuno trade. Yanks hoping Headley can recapture the stroke he had in 2012 when he hit .286/31/115. If he can do even close to that in a hitters park like Yankee stadium and in a pennant race then the Yankees might have just gotten a steal for the remainder of the year.

Anyone know anything about DePaula?
All-Time Draft

PG- Oscar Robertson/Bob Cousy
SG- Earl Monroe/James Harden/Dana Barros
SF- Billy Cunningham/Michael Finley/Chet Walker
PF- Elvin Hayes/Dolph Schayes/Tom Chambers/Danny Manning
C- Walt Bellamy/Neil Johnston/Darryl Dawkins
bishnykfan

Re: Yankees acquire 3B Chase Headley 

Post#2 » by bishnykfan » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:40 pm

Headley is a FA after the year, so no long term salary obligation again in this trade.

Just looked up De Paula also. Kind of what I expected in a deal like this. Not much of a prospect. 23 years old in Tampa A ball. 89 innings this year he is 6-5 and a 4.15ERA. He also has a 1.416WHIP. He does have an impressive 104 strike outs however, but overall, he doesn't seem like a guy who will come back to haunt us in a few years.

Overall, I like the trade. Very little risk at all and potential for some decent reward.
All-Time Draft

DowNY
RealGM
And1: 10,366

Post#3 » by DowNY » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:08 am

Nice start to his Yankee career with that walk-off.
bishnykfan

Post#4 » by bishnykfan » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:42 pm

Yup, made a nice leaping catch on a line drive and a bloop walk off hit after starting 0-3. Considering the craziness of his day, its a pretty good start. McCarthy and Headley have both contributed to three wins so far in the three games that they have played. Nice pickups by Cashman to this point.
All-Time Draft

moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,191

Post#5 » by moocow007 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:16 pm

Funny thing is there was an article recently (don't remember the source) where the writer basically proposed a series of moves that he recommends followed by a counter of what the Yankees would actually do. Really good read and his suggestions made a lot of sense. The only suggestion that he made where what he recommended and what the Yankees would actually do were the same is acquiring Chase Headley.

Very good move. De Paula is a hard thrower but I doubt he'll ever be able to get his stuff together enough to make the majors. Solarte was good for a couple months before everyone figured him out and the fire died down. I would imagine they'll look to resign him long term.

The Yankees will likely offer him arbitration so if they lose him they should be able to get at least a supplemental draft pick (between the 1st and 2nd rounds in the 2015 draft) since Headley will probably be classified as a Type B player. If they resign him then great too since he'd be a better option than anything they have (and avoid having to have ARod move back to 3rd full time when his suspension is over, assuming he doesn't retire). His arbitration number likely wont be cheap but for the Yankees, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

The Yankees have done relatively well with the supplemental pick having picked up both Aaron Judge and Ian Clarkin with supplemental picks (and I believe both players are currently ranked top 10 in their farm system).
Dr. Detfink
RealGM
And1: 4,552

Post#6 » by Dr. Detfink » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:27 pm

The scouting report caught up with Solarte. Damn shame too.

WE have the GREATEST collection of .230 hitters. I'm hoping Chase Headley, whom Brian Cashman has wanted for a very, very long time, gets back some of the pop he had when he was an RBI machine. His defense has always been very good.

One wonders, what happens when A-Rod comes back?
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by moocow007 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:46 pm

Dr. Detfink wrote:The scouting report caught up with Solarte. Damn shame too.

WE have the GREATEST collection of .230 hitters. I'm hoping Chase Headley, whom Brian Cashman has wanted for a very, very long time, gets back some of the pop he had when he was an RBI machine. His defense has always been very good.

I would guess the Yankees will try to convince ARod to retire by buying him out up front for some good healthy portion of what they owe him. That or trade him to another team for a handful of used bolts and a dirty squeegee. Although...I guess...they could always just make him the highest paid DH in baseball history. I'm guessing that ARod would still be able to drive in runs upon his return. I don't get caught up in all the personality issues so to me ARod can still be productive with a bat in his hand. But I would think Cashman and the Yankees probably don't want the distraction even at the cost of losing his production and/or having to eat his salary in some gigantic percentage.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by moocow007 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:48 pm

The next question would be whether the Yankees go seriously after Troy Tulowitzki to pair with Headley as a very intense and potentially extremely productive (on both ends of the game) pairing for the next x many years. I would guess not.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#9 » by Dr. Detfink » Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:16 am

A-Rod to SS?
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#10 » by isiah_thomas » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:56 am

very good move . he needed to get off the garbage padres. resign him and get a new ss for jeter . i really hope the yanks are not thinking abt putting arod at ss
isiah_thomas
Analyst
And1: 1,154

Post#11 » by isiah_thomas » Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:58 am

Dr. Detfink wrote:A-Rod to SS?

lets hope not
thebuzzardman
RealGM
And1: 83,065

Post#12 » by thebuzzardman » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:49 pm

moocow007 wrote:The next question would be whether the Yankees go seriously after Troy Tulowitzki to pair with Headley as a very intense and potentially extremely productive (on both ends of the game) pairing for the next x many years. I would guess not.

I would think, off the top of my head, there are at least 5 organizations who can throw a better packages of assets for Troy T than the Yanks

Let me rephrase that.

There are probably 28 teams that could offer better assets.

I'd say there are probably 5 that are interested in Troy T and whose assets could blow what the Yanks have out of the water.
moocow007
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by moocow007 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:42 pm

thebuzzardman wrote:
moocow007 wrote:The next question would be whether the Yankees go seriously after Troy Tulowitzki to pair with Headley as a very intense and potentially extremely productive (on both ends of the game) pairing for the next x many years. I would guess not.

I would think, off the top of my head, there are at least 5 organizations who can throw a better packages of assets for Troy T than the Yanks

Let me rephrase that.

There are probably 28 teams that could offer better assets.

I'd say there are probably 5 that are interested in Troy T and whose assets could blow what the Yanks have out of the water.

[insert 'So what you're saying is...there is a chance? Yeah!' gif]?
Vides990
Starter
And1: 972

Post#14 » by Vides990 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:35 pm

moocow007 wrote:
Dr. Detfink wrote:The scouting report caught up with Solarte. Damn shame too.

I would guess the Yankees will try to convince ARod to retire by buying him out up front for some good healthy portion of what they owe him. That or trade him to another team for a handful of used bolts and a dirty squeegee. Although...I guess...they could always just make him the highest paid DH in baseball history. I'm guessing that ARod would still be able to drive in runs upon his return. I don't get caught up in all the personality issues so to me ARod can still be productive with a bat in his hand. But I would think Cashman and the Yankees probably don't want the distraction even at the cost of losing his production and/or having to eat his salary in some gigantic percentage.

Arod isn't going anywhere, he'd probably be the best player on the team this year even with his diminished abilities......let that sink in for a minute.
Preemptively joining the Bucks and Twolves bandwagons.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Post#15 » by TNBT » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:52 pm

I'm pretty happy with the Headley and McCarthy pickups. They're not stars, but we didn't give up much of any value to get them, and they've been solid so far. As for A-Rod, I'm hoping he falls off the face of the earth or is abducted by aliens or something. Anything would be better than having him back in pinstripes and having to pay him the rest of his deal.
Dr. Detfink
RealGM

Post#16 » by Dr. Detfink » Fri Aug 1, 2014 11:04 pm

Offensively I expect him to come back down to Earth but defensively a huge upgrade.

Return to New York Yankees