A's have signed Cuban center fielder Yoenis Cespedes

Moderator: HMFFL

HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,163

A's have signed Cuban center fielder Yoenis Cespedes 

Post#1 » by HMFFL » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Finally some good news for Oakland fans.

Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that the A's have signed Cuban center fielder Yoenis Cespedes.
Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle says the deal is worth $36 million over four years, beating the record six-year, $30.25 million contract that the Reds handed Aroldis Chapman in January 2010 by a wide margin. It's an incredibly surprising move by the supposedly cash-strapped A's. Cespedes carries great hype and has the potential to contribute at the major league level in his first year, but the A's have quite a few holes to patch before they can be considered competitive. And the "prospect" they just signed is already 26 years old. He'll make $9 million per year before hitting the free agent market again heading into the 2016 season. The contract will be finalized in about 10 days. Cespedes has already passed a physical, an identity investigation, and a drug test.
Source: Susan Slusser on Twitter
Slats
Junior
And1: 28

Re: A's have signed Cuban center fielder Yoenis Cespedes 

Post#2 » by Slats » Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:38 pm

Did not see that coming! I think he is really going to be a boom or bust type of player.
HMFFL
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 8,163

Post#3 » by HMFFL » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:45 pm

I think he's the real deal. The problem is, I doubt he stays around very long, so I expect him to be here two seasons at the max, but I hope a great deal of value is acquired for him. Moving talent is how this team operates as much as I hate it.
leafsfan89
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#4 » by leafsfan89 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:25 pm

There was an ESPN insider article about Yoenis Cespedes today. Just wondering if anyone has the insider club and would like to share it or the main points? I'm interested to see what is being said about Yoenis. Thanks!
"Yes they deserved to die, and i hope they burn in hell!"

Return to Oakland Athletics