Ichiro traded to the Yankees 

Post#1 » by nuke the whales » Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:57 pm

Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Re: Ichiro traded to the Yankees 

Post#2 » by Sweezo » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:32 pm

Obviously a mutual decision, but wow...I did not expect this. I got tickets and will be at the game tonight. Hopefully Ichiro makes his NYY debut so I can root him on. I hope he does well for the Yankees, which I rarely say for players when they leave. By and large, I don't feel our fanbase fully appreciated how good he was. Many of us did/do, but a lot certainly did not.

Why? I don't know. You don't have to be a power hitter to be one of the best in the game.
Zyme
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Post#3 » by Zyme » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:53 pm

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@######################$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Damnit all to hell. Why, of all teams, the Yankees.

Sigh, this is why we cannot have anything nice.
LaMarcus for Heisman!!!

Roster:Lillard/Mathews/Batum*/LA/Lopez

*Its not pronounced with a !@#$ing s, he's french. It's Nico-la, not Nico-las.

—Peace!
TTown
Bench Warmer
And1: 11

Post#4 » by TTown » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:59 am

are either of the two pitchers we got back any good?
ImageImageImageImage
The Emcee
General Manager
And1: 156

Post#5 » by The Emcee » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:05 am

Why do we always seem to trade with the Yankees? Doesn't anyone else give up prospects?
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#6 » by Bulltalk » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:00 am

Yes. I was stunned. Saw it here first in the thread title. What a career with the M's. Another Mariner HOFer to be (Randy, Ichiro, Griffey, Felix, Edgar...we hope).
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
Mr Swagtastic
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,208

Post#7 » by Mr Swagtastic » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:10 am

Been a M's fan since Ken Griffey Jr (who I consider the best player of the last 30 years) so hopefully The M's will retire Ichrio's number and induct him to their hall of fame/excellence. The guy was one of the best to put on a M's uni. If he played his whole career in Seattle you would be talking about the best hitter of all time and would easily be a first ballot HoF guy.

Hate the fact he's on The Yankee's but I wish him luck.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Sweezo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:43 am

TTown wrote:are either of the two pitchers we got back any good?

Not really. But I don't think that was the point of the trade...Ichiro requested a trade, and this gives him a chance to win a ring and the M's get to shed some salary. Plus, it allows for a nice, clean break instead of dragging things out.

I went to the game tonight...it was weird. I sat in RF and the whole thing seemed surreal. All the people who called into KIRO saying they were going to boo Ichiro must have found something better to do as the crowd was appreciative.

Oh, and on the car ride home I heard Smoak's been sent down to AAA, while Carp's getting called up. About time. Delabar can also hitch a ride south so he can figure out how to avoid giving up a home run every time; he served up a meatball that A-Rod just killed tonight.
Zyme
Bench Warmer
And1: 28

Post#9 » by Zyme » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:01 am

Mr Swagtastic wrote:Been a M's fan since Ken Griffey Jr (who I consider the best player of the last 30 years) so hopefully The M's will retire Ichrio's number and induct him to their hall of fame/excellence. The guy was one of the best to put on a M's uni. If he played his whole career in Seattle you would be talking about the best hitter of all time and would easily be a first ballot HoF guy.

Hate the fact he's on The Yankee's but I wish him luck.

My comment was really based upon my hatred of everything NYY. His number needs to be retired tomorrow and I really, really hope he will give Seattle some love when he gets voted into the MLB HOF.
BlackMamba
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 81

Post#10 » by BlackMamba » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:16 pm

Wow, just wow. I really never expected something like this to happen, at least not to the Yankees, which I "hate".

So, this is a sad day for the M's, but also a break point moment. He was the symbol for the team for at least the last decade. Who's going to step up to the plate? King Felix?

Well, I really hope him the best, even though that means the NYY could do better.

And Ben Gibbard, the frontman for Death Cab For Cutie, wrote him a song several years ago. http://soundcloud.com/gibbstack/ichiros-theme
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Sweezo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:47 pm

I've hated the Yankees as long as I can remember, but in this situation I was mostly unfazed with the Yankees being the destination. If Ichiro wanted to play for a contender, I imagine the Yankees held massive appeal for him. He was able to see how they treated Matsui when he was there, and there's playing time to be had in their OF with Gardner out. It sounds like the Yankees let it be known they would only have interest if Ichiro agreed to their terms, which he did.

The Yankees are the flagship franchise. I'd rather see him with a team like that, getting his due, instead of pretending to make a difference for a team like the Pirates or the Orioles.
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#12 » by TTown » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:23 am

Sweezo wrote:
TTown wrote:are either of the two pitchers we got back any good?

Not really. But I don't think that was the point of the trade...Ichiro requested a trade, and this gives him a chance to win a ring and the M's get to shed some salary. Plus, it allows for a nice, clean break instead of dragging things out.

giant kick to the teeth to those of us who thought it'd be best to trade him 2-3 years ago when we could have brought back somebody's farm system, though.
ImageImageImageImage
TTown
Bench Warmer

Post#13 » by TTown » Wed Aug 1, 2012 2:27 am

league, delebar also traded. delebar got us a quasi-interesting outfield prospect. league got us a pair to keep an eye on down the line.

i thought vargas and his best-in-the-majors 1.46 july era may have been shipped, but alas. and hey, if the right deal wasn't there, good for z for keeping him around. no sense in making a trade just to make a trade.
ImageImageImageImage
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by Sweezo » Wed Aug 1, 2012 5:32 am

Alright, so we've won six in a row. Amazing how this team is coming together since the Ichiro trade. I don't think Ichiro was holding the team back, but it looks like they're just starting to gel a little bit.

TTown wrote:league, delebar also traded. delebar got us a quasi-interesting outfield prospect. league got us a pair to keep an eye on down the line.

I remember Thames hitting a home run against us last year. For Delabar, I think he was an interesting addition.

TTown wrote:i thought vargas and his best-in-the-majors 1.46 july era may have been shipped, but alas. and hey, if the right deal wasn't there, good for z for keeping him around. no sense in making a trade just to make a trade.

Same with Millwood. I don't think either of them were worth a ton on the opening market due to the Safeco effect, so why not keep them around and try to get some wins?

I think a lot of the hitters Jack Z was targeting [Allen Craig/Brandon Belt/etc.] are guys he was laying the groundwork for after the season. Seeing what their value is right now, and having a plan to attack the market/free agency in the offseason.

Return to Seattle Mariners