Series Thread: Texas Rangers @ Seattle Mariners

Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Series Thread: Texas Rangers @ Seattle Mariners 

Post#1 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Fri Jun 1, 2007 6:23 am

Well, good start for the Mariners to this series after a disapointing conclusion to the Angels games.

Baek pitched pretty well, and just had one horrible inning. Our offense was great though, especially Ichiro, Johjima, Betancourt, and Beltre. All had atleast two hits, and our great bullpen trio of Morrow, Sher, and Putz closed the door. Man, those guys are just golden everytime they step out there.

And the Angels lost too. Yay!
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 36

Post#2 » by Sweezo » Fri Jun 1, 2007 6:49 am

I wonder if Baek was just on cruise control since he had such a big league...don't know, as I didn't watch the game.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant

Post#3 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Sat Jun 2, 2007 3:54 am

What the hell is this White loser in the game for? I **** hate it when teams act as if they are trying to lose the game.

"Hey, we haven't used this really crappy pitcher in a while, so lets throw him in there when the game is close against a divisional rival."

People are so stupid sometimes.

EDIT: WHY IS NO ONE WARMING UP IN OUR DAMN BULLPEN! ****!

EDIT II: Oh great, warm up O'Flaherty after this idiot already allows Texas to tie the game. Christ.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant

Post#4 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Sun Jun 3, 2007 2:41 am

Lol wow, I was really upset last night.

But anyways, a double by Betancourt just gave us a 1-0 lead. Man, I have LOVIN Yunnie this season. He's hitting close to .300 now, and I just couldn't be more thrilled that we signed him to that extension prior to the season.

Its gonna look like a great deal for us in the not so near future. The guy is a really solid hitter.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7

Post#5 » by Basketball Jesus » Sun Jun 3, 2007 4:10 am

I wouldn't be too excited; his OBP is still only 20 or so points higher than his batting average. If it weren't for his (partial) power and defense, he'd be a pretty crappy major leaguer.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Sweezo » Sun Jun 3, 2007 5:04 am

Basketball Jesus wrote:I wouldn't be too excited; his OBP is still only 20 or so points higher than his batting average. If it weren't for his (partial) power and defense, he'd be a pretty crappy major leaguer.

His defense sucks. For all the talk we here about how good he is defensively, he airmails alot of throws and has far too many errors than he should. Who cares how good your range is if you can't do anything with the ball once you get it?
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Sun Jun 3, 2007 6:40 am

Basketball Jesus wrote:I wouldn't be too excited; his OBP is still only 20 or so points higher than his batting average. If it weren't for his (partial) power and defense, he'd be a pretty crappy major leaguer

I dont agree. He'll improve his base-running ability as he grows as a player, and personally, I think the lower OBP is a bit over-rated (or under-rated, whatever). He doesn't walk a lot, which is the reason for the lower number, but on the flip side, Yunny doesn't strike out much either. He puts the ball in play, and when you're hitting around 300, I dont see how you can complain, especially when he hits in the lower part of the batting order.

And Betancourt is still a really good shortstop, just this year, he's made a lot of boneheaded plays. Its been happening a lot around the league, especially with shortstops. Hell, look at Jeter. Guy won the gold glove last season, and this year, he's made 11 errors already.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Basketball Jesus » Sun Jun 3, 2007 2:13 pm

Sweezo wrote:
His defense sucks. For all the talk we here about how good he is defensively, he airmails alot of throws and has far too many errors than he should. Who cares how good your range is if you can't do anything with the ball once you get it?

Well, yeah, I wasn't going to completely burst his bubble but Yuni's defense is pretty damn overrated.
Manocad wrote:The universe is the age it is. We can all agree it's 13 billion years old, and nothing changes. We can all agree it's 6000 years old, and nothing changes. We can all disagree on how old it is, and nothing changes. Some people really need a hobby.
Basketball Jesus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Basketball Jesus » Sun Jun 3, 2007 2:25 pm

Bay_Areas_Finest wrote:
I dont agree. He'll improve his base-running ability as he grows as a player

Everything about Yuni is prefaced with "he's still a bit raw" since he's only had two full seasons of ball stateside but, for all his speed, he's never been a particularly instinctual baserunner. In the minors/bigs, he's never had a SB rate of greater than 65%. He may still develop some sort of baserunning IQ but he's 25 and the window's closing fast on the developmental portion of his career.

He puts the ball in play, and when you're hitting around 300, I dont see how you can complain, especially when he hits in the lower part of the batting order.

You can't. But when he's getting on base, however het gets there, at below a league average clip...it's usually indicative of a below league average hitter.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant

Post#10 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Mon Jun 4, 2007 1:42 am

Well, Yuni had a couple more hits, and extended his career high hitting streak while raising his batting average to 297, but I guess he's still pretty awful because he didnt walk and raise his OBP by even more points. :lol:

j/k, but nice game by Seattle. Our offense continues to whoop some ass, and if not for that Kenny Lofton grab, we probably sweet Texas, but 3 out of 4 is still very nice.

And I take back what I said about Jose Guillen a little while back. I love this guy in the 3 hole. He has power to all fields and is a solid run producer. And damn, Jose Lopez with 4 hits in the number 2 hole, gotta love that.
Sweezo
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Sweezo » Mon Jun 4, 2007 7:10 am

That ended up being a pretty nice series, but damn...do the Rangers stink. Worst pitching staff in baseball? Anyone disagree?

Unfortunately the Angels just keep winning. Making the playoffs is going to be extremely difficult...
Ex-hippie
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#12 » by Ex-hippie » Mon Jun 4, 2007 5:02 pm

Bay_Areas_Finest wrote:-= original quote snipped =-
He doesn't walk a lot, which is the reason for the lower number, but on the flip side, Yunny doesn't strike out much either.

Walks good. Strikeouts not bad.

Return to Seattle Mariners