ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Lakers (Tonight., 730PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

kacey ring
Sixth Man
And1: 919

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Lakers (Tonight., 730PMEST) 

Post#101 » by kacey ring » Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:49 pm

Dirk wrote:Damn refs, make it less obvious you have money on LA.

So what were the guys arguing on this play?
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,232

Post#102 » by Archx » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:39 pm

kacey ring wrote:So what were the guys arguing on this play?

Double dribble on Russell.
Realtalk420
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#103 » by Realtalk420 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:41 pm

Archx wrote:
kacey ring wrote:So what were the guys arguing on this play?

Double dribble on Russell.

Read on Twitter

Better angle
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,024

Post#104 » by Mavrelous » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:44 pm

I'm looking at the box score and still have no clue how they pulled it off:
- Flawless game from AD/LBJ
- LAL won the rebound battle 40-36
- LAL shooting split 54/52 DAL 49/49
- LAL heavily favoured by the refs
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,105

Post#105 » by daoneandonly » Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:48 pm

Mavrelous wrote:I'm looking at the box score and still have no clue how they pulled it off:

Great W. Luka, Exum, THJ, Grant, Lively, just a solid team effort.

Nba really has to keep refs accountable for terrible mistakes, becoming a joke
Archx
RealGM

Post#106 » by Archx » Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:00 pm

Mavrelous wrote:I'm looking at the box score and still have no clue how they pulled it off:

We forget that THJ also had one of those random games where he turns into prime Ray Allen :D And at first i haven't even noticed Grant also had 19 on 5-7 from 3. So Mavs offense simply prevailed.

And yeah like i said earlier to BeiBeau, Ham's predictable defensive scheme on Luka made it possible for Mavs to basically counter plan from the start. Kidd did a good job in this game sticking to what works. Well, no clue if that was just Luka doing his thing or Kidd making it possible.

Read on Twitter
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,258

Post#107 » by BeiBeau » Wed Dec 13, 2023 4:14 pm

Archx wrote:

We forget that THJ also had one of those random games where he turns into prime Ray Allen :D And at first i haven't even noticed Grant also had 19 on 5-7 from 3. So Mavs offense simply prevailed.

And yeah like i said earlier to BeiBeau, Ham's predictable defensive scheme on Luka made it possible for Mavs to basically counter plan from the start. Kidd did a good job in this game sticking to what works. Well, no clue if that was just Luka doing his thing or Kidd making it possible.

Read on Twitter

Grant reviving is similar to what I was saying about Kyrie earlier this season. Lower body stuff **** with your shooting so hard.

It is not a coincidence that Grant shot great to start the season, starts shooting horrendously, we find out he has lower leg soreness, rest to fix that, and shots great once that is taken care of.

Despite some *posters* on this forum constantly calling injuries fake that actually do affect the game. Minor changes make big differences in a game of inches.

Please try to engage in conversations w/o invoking your perceived IQ level of other posters
Dan1970
Freshman
And1: 55

Post#108 » by Dan1970 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:11 pm

Glad we got the second year on the Dante Exum contract. $3 million a year is a bargain.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#109 » by Mavrelous » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:33 pm

NBA noticed and gave our guy a dedicated video
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,161

Post#110 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:40 pm

Archx wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:Adding Kyrie wont help the offense. He’ll take Luka and THJ shots.

That's not really a bad thing.

Not much improvement on Luka team.

Tremendous loss on defense and rebounding
Archx
RealGM

Post#111 » by Archx » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:45 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
Archx wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:Adding Kyrie wont help the offense. He’ll take Luka and THJ shots.

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Mavrelous wrote:NBA noticed and gave our guy a dedicated video

It's funny how ESPN just ranked him only as a bench player for an all star team. They have Curry ahead of him and barely mention him in MVP conversation.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#112 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 5:56 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:This was a good win on a back to back. Curious about the rotation when everyone comes back cause right now Exum on the starting line up has been gold.

Adding Kyrie wont help the offense. He’ll take Luka and THJ shots.

On defense we’ll get worse.
Worse rebounding too.

Luka played 44 MPG to beat Memphis and LAL at home, fresh Luka is playing great defense, Mavs need Kyrie, but it's looking more and more apparent, they need to be staggered and Exum should get a bigger role.
We watched Luka flame out last year w/o a co-star...

I think this is a revisionist take on what happened last year.
Mavs, prior to the Kyrie trade, was a 4th seed in the West.
Luka with Kyrie become the 11th seed in the West.

Mavs still rely on Luka to win games heavily. Luka took one game off against the bottom-tier Memphis team and Kyrie failed to facilitate offense.

Its nice to have more scorers to help Luka for sure. Kyrie on MLE contract would be nice. Its not that great contribution for max contract though.

Luka's Mavs are already great on offense. Luka's offensive genius is worthy when his team is decent on defense and rebounds.
When you easily concede points and give tons of rebounds, then Luka's offensive genius does not bring Wins.

Its also easier to hide Luka on defense when he is the weakest link on defense. The team can simply match him to easiest to guard player and provide help defense. That way, Luka stays fresher.
When Kyrie plays, he is too small, so matchups are made as Kyrie being worst defender and Luka being 2nd worst defender. Team defense can not focus on helping Luka because there is Kyrie. As a result, teams target Luka on defense more and tire the **** out of him.

Luka is a better defender when he is given the easiest defensive matchup and the team focuses on how to help him. The problem arises when the team focuses on Kyrie's mismatch and rebounding woes, which leads Luka to be exposed.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#113 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:00 pm

agentofatlas wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
agentofatlas wrote:This was a good win on a back to back. Curious about the rotation when everyone comes back cause right now Exum on the starting line up has been gold.

Adding Kyrie wont help the offense. He’ll take Luka and THJ shots.

On defense we’ll get worse.
Worse rebounding too.

Actually I like having Kyrie out there with Luka, Exum and Lively. Luka with playmakers has always been a good combo for me.

It's really the 5th guy I'm thinking about cause DJJ might be a better fit than Grant.

It is good on paper. It is probably good on video games as well.
In real life, in NBA games, having Kyrie with Luka only resulted in misery.

You are trying to improve offense from a 95% to 96% rating while playing Kyrie drops defense from 70% to 30%.

Luka with good defenders/rebounders who can make open shots is a good combo. If such a player can also facilitate offense, then its better. I mean, Dirk did not win a title with Nash but he did with great defenders in Chandler, Marion, and Kidd.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#114 » by ozwizard8 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:04 pm

Archx wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
Archx wrote:

You only quoted the first two sentences of my comment. I added the second part of it.

Adding Kyrie is not changing much on offense but it makes Mavs team suck on defense and rebounds. Luka becomes vulnerable as he starts to play along as a player with a huge liability on defense and rebounding.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#115 » by Mavrelous » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:05 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:I think this is a revisionist take on what happened last year.

Mavs still rely on Luka to win games heavily. Luka took one game off against the bottom-tier Memphis team and Kyrie failed to facilitate offense.

Not really, the revisionist history is to make this claim...
Mavs couldn't win w/o Luka, Mavs had a very easy schedule, they still lost some absurd games WITH Luka (Nuggets w/o Joic, Murray and Gordon, Pelicans w/o Zion, Ingram and Herb Jones, Wizards twice, got embarassed by Kyle Kuzma, OKC while leading by 14 with 3.5 minutes to go).
The reason they were 4th in west was 6-0 run w/o Green, DFS and Maxi, in which they beat Houston SAS and Knicks w/o Brunson and Barret, before they gelled and became good (the famous 60/20/10 game), and the west was like this year, packed from 2-11, barely any difference between the teams and mutiple teams struggling with injuries/chemistry (Lakers with Westbrook, Warriors, Clippers, Suns had Booker and CP3 missing time).
The low point of the season was the Pelicans game, Mavs with Luka up 30 midway through the 3rd, Luka goes for a dunk and strains his thigh, Mavs nearly lose the game, in addition, this specific injury caused Luka to not be himself for the rest of the year.

Mavs couldn't afford to play Luka on B2Bs before the injury.

For reference, MAvs are 7 games above .500, they were never at this point last year despite having massive advantage in schedule and injuries in the 1st 2-3 months.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 367

Post#116 » by Michaellam1987 » Wed Dec 13, 2023 6:22 pm

Dan1970 wrote:Glad we got the second year on the Dante Exum contract. $3 million a year is a bargain.

We also get DJJ under minimum contract.
Archx
RealGM

Post#117 » by Archx » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:23 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
Archx wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:Not much improvement on Luka team.

You only quoted the first two sentences of my comment. I added the second part of it.

Adding Kyrie is not changing much on offense but it makes Mavs team suck on defense and rebounds. Luka becomes vulnerable as he starts to play along as a player with a huge liability on defense and rebounding.

Where exactly are you getting your info from? Mavs only have -1.7% rebounding with Kyrie on the floor. Which is nothing to be worried about.

Mavs best 5 man unit is L. Dončić | D. Exum | K. Irving | D. Jones | D. Lively. They outscore their opponents by 77 pts per 100 poss. Next best lineup also features Kyrie but they are at 36pts and with much less minutes example.

So all in all, i can't find anything that indicates Kyrie is bad for the Mavs like you're saying.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#118 » by daoneandonly » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:39 pm

Mavrelous wrote:

Mavs couldn't win w/o Luka, Mavs had a very easy schedule, they still lost some absurd games WITH Luka (Nuggets w/o Joic, Murray and Gordon, Pelicans w/o Zion, Ingram and Herb Jones, Wizards twice, got embarassed by Kyle Kuzma, OKC while leading by 14 with 3.5 minutes to go).
The reason they were 4th in west was 6-0 run w/o Green, DFS and Maxi, in which they beat Houston SAS and Knicks w/o Brunson and Barret, before they gelled and became good (the famous 60/20/10 game), and the west was like this year, packed from 2-11, barely any difference between the teams and mutiple teams struggling with injuries/chemistry (Lakers with Westbrook, Warriors, Clippers, Suns had Booker and CP3 missing time).
The low point of the season was the Pelicans game, Mavs with Luka up 30 midway through the 3rd, Luka goes for a dunk and strains his thigh, Mavs nearly lose the game, in addition, this specific injury caused Luka to not be himself for the rest of the year.

For reference, MAvs are 7 games above .500, they were never at this point last year despite having massive advantage in schedule and injuries in the 1st 2-3 months.

Well put Khalil
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#119 » by daoneandonly » Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:40 pm

Kyrie is not a bad rebounder at all given his height
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#120 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Dec 14, 2023 7:20 am

Mavrelous wrote:

Luka playing with injuries is not a new thing. In fact Luka started the last season visibly out of shape too.
The schedule being easy or hard is just mental gymnastics at this point. I mean, you are even saying x team had this player injured etc. We are not talking about 1 or 2 games here. It was 50+ games without Kyrie. 50 games cannot be too easy compared to the rest of the season.
I am not claiming Mavs became 4th seed and dropped to 5th seed after two weeks.

First half of the season without Kyrie: Luka Mavs were 4th seed. 29-26
Second half of the season with Kyrie: Mavs drop from 4th seed to 11th seed. 9-18

This is a massive failure which is caused by Kyrie trade.

If you can show Mavs record where Mavs lose games because of Luka's burnout, then go ahead.
Luka started the season with a lot of mileage on him and nagging injuries. He usually has stretches where he looks exhausted physically and also games that he plays better.

Mavs team, 29-26, would make playoffs if they did not trade for Kyrie.

Kyrie has been cancer to his teams for the last 7 seasons.

Return to Dallas Mavericks