Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,686

Re: 3 guard lineup (Luka ,Kyrie,Dante) the way to go 

Post#21 » by Bob8 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 7:46 am

Captain_Obvious wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
He wrote it wrong and we don't need Reddit for that.

https://www.nba.com/team/1610612742/mavericks/

I have no idea, why it doesn't show the right link. You have to go to stats, lineups/ advanced, 2 players lineups.

Thanks, so
134.4 OffRat 112.7 DefRat in 135 min

Hardaway and Seth looking good as well

https://www.nba.com/stats/team/1610612742/lineups-advanced?GroupQuantity=2&dir=D&sort=NET_RATING

It's very questionable talking about 2 players lineups in basketball. But it's true that Exum has incredible +/-, on/off numbers. So he's basically crucial in all lineups.

Exum is +15.4 and +18.6 on/off. He's just incredible for Mavs and the main reason, together with THJ's scoring, for Mavs winning without Kyrie. Luka can average 50 and Mavs would lose without those 2, when Kyrie is not playing.

Mavs have 4 crucial players this year. Luka, Exum, THJ and Lively. All others wasn't that important for winning. The biggest disappointment Josh, Hardy and Kleber. Powell shouldn't be in rotation anymore.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 862

Post#22 » by Teffer10 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:01 am

Bob8 wrote:
Captain_Obvious wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
I have no idea, why it doesn't show the right link. You have to go to stats, lineups/ advanced, 2 players lineups.

Thanks, so

https://www.nba.com/stats/team/1610612742/lineups-advanced?GroupQuantity=2&dir=D&sort=NET_RATING

It's very questionable talking about 2 players lineups in basketball. But it's true that Exum has incredible +/-, on/off numbers. So he's basically crucial in all lineups.

Exum is +15.4 and +18.6 on/off. He's just incredible for Mavs and the main reason, together with THJ's scoring, for Mavs winning without Kyrie. Luka can average 50 and Mavs would lose without those 2, when Kyrie is not playing.

Mavs have 4 crucial players this year. Luka, Exum, THJ and Lively. All others wasn't that important for winning. The biggest disappointment Josh, Hardy and Kleber. Powell shouldn't be in rotation anymore.

I'm beginning to think Morris might actually become a good fit in the rotation. He is bigger and stronger than all of our wings and has the ability to help spread the floor.
He also gives this team a little bit of an attitude element that has been missing.
Wouldnt surprise me if he ends up with Maxi's expected role before the end of the season.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,015

Post#23 » by Mavrelous » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:43 am

Despite being different, Exum reminds a lot of Derrick White on the Celtics, defensive guard who's a great connective piece on offense, White is a better shooter and defender, Exum is better rim pressure guy.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Bob8
General Manager

Post#24 » by Bob8 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:49 am

Mavrelous wrote:Despite being different, Exum reminds a lot of Derrick White on the Celtics, defensive guard who's a great connective piece on offense, White is a better shooter and defender, Exum is better rim pressure guy.

I'm not sure that White is better defender, Exum is bigger and defensive advanced stats are very questionable. There is almost impossible to have good defensive stats in bad defensive team. Exum is better playmaker than White.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#25 » by Bob8 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:51 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Bob8 wrote:
Captain_Obvious wrote:Thanks, so

I'm beginning to think Morris might actually become a good fit in the rotation. He is bigger and stronger than all of our wings and has the ability to help spread the floor.
He also gives this team a little bit of an attitude element that has been missing.
Wouldnt surprise me if he ends up with Maxi's expected role before the end of the season.

Mavs desperately need upgrade in 4. And they need backup C. Until they fix those 2 problems, not much can be done.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#26 » by Mavrelous » Mon Dec 18, 2023 9:58 am

Bob8 wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:Despite being different, Exum reminds a lot of Derrick White on the Celtics, defensive guard who's a great connective piece on offense, White is a better shooter and defender, Exum is better rim pressure guy.

I'm not sure that White is better defender, Exum is bigger and defensive advanced stats are very questionable. There is almost impossible to have good defensive stats in bad defensive team. Exum is better playmaker than White.

Eye test, White is very smart defender, I like Exum as a defender don't get me wrong.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#27 » by Mavrelous » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:07 am

Athletic 4s and big 3s are the most sought after commodity in the league, asset deprived Mavs can't compete for them (unless someone wants Kyrie...)
I'd target lesser or flawed 4s, OPJ and Achiwua on TOR should very cheap.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,615

Post#28 » by Maverick41 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:26 am

41Dirk41 wrote:So you want Luka or Kyrie guard opposite wings in this NBA? It will be a bloodbath in PO...

I don't think Kidd will ever put that lineup with a full healthy roster.

Most teams aren't rolling with 2 main option offensive big wings. Look at GSW for example. Who do you want chasing Curry around? I'm taking Exum easily over GW or DJJ.

Come playoff time, lineups will depend on matchups. Obviously against bigger teams, it may require a bigger SL.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks

Post#29 » by Mavrelous » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:40 am

Maverick41 wrote:
41Dirk41 wrote:So you want Luka or Kyrie guard opposite wings in this NBA? It will be a bloodbath in PO...

Most teams aren't rolling with 2 main option offensive big wings. Look at GSW for example. Who do you want chasing Curry around? I'm taking Exum easily over GW or DJJ.

Come playoff time, lineups will depend on matchups. Obviously against bigger teams, it may require a bigger SL.

My impression is that DJJ is the best screen navigator on the team.
Maverick41
Analyst
And1: 2,615

Post#30 » by Maverick41 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:53 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Maverick41 wrote:

My impression is that DJJ is the best screen navigator on the team.

DJJ can jump outta the gym but his foot speed is average. I agree that he's good st reading screens and slithering off people especially off a pick but he's not quick enough to chase Curry around. I like my chances more with Exum vs Curry or quick guards. I like my chances more with DJJ versus slower footed or strong guards. It depends on matchups.
Bob8
General Manager

Post#31 » by Bob8 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:02 am

Mavrelous wrote:
Bob8 wrote:

Eye test, White is very smart defender, I like Exum as a defender don't get me wrong.

It's easier being smart in Celtics' team D than in Mavs'. ;)
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,868

Post#32 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Dec 18, 2023 12:29 pm

Maverick41 wrote:

Of course Exum, he is playing great this season... But GSW is the last team carried by guards.

It's not disrespectful being 3th ballhandler beyond Luka&Kyrie and play 20/25 minutes from the bench like secondary ballhandler around one of them... The Frank freakin Ntilikina spot :lol:

If he continues to be so aggressive and good shooters i think it's his perfect role when all roster Will be healthy.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,036

Post#33 » by tleikheen » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:11 am

MINUS the 1st game he started where he was a PLUS 40.......The last 6 games started , Dante Exum has shot lights out making 41/58 (FG) for 70.6 percent and 14/ 21 (3pt) for 66 percent .

How many here still think he should come off the bench when Green and Kyrie get healthy.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by tleikheen » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:15 am

Everybody is tradeable NOT named Luka ,Kyrie ,Lively ,Dante Exum to find a PF to fit Luka's timeline .
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,153

Post#35 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:36 am

tleikheen wrote:Everybody is tradeable NOT named Luka ,Kyrie ,Lively ,Dante Exum to find a PF to fit Luka's timeline .

Finding an elite PF requires cap space and trade assets.
There is no viable elite PF option to add with Luka without sending Kyrie's cap space and trade asset value.

Mavs playing without Kyrie is looking fine, other than missing a solid frontcourt. Even without THJ-Kyrie both out, Mavs still performed fine. Exhaustion is on defense.

Kyrie should be tradeable, and even Exum, if he is getting a lot of value back. Kyrie had the last 7 years of making his teams worse. It's evident that he is not helping the team other than bringing in some Kyrie fans and his antics. Last year he made Mavs from 4th to 11th seed. if you were able to add Kyrie for free without cap space implications, he might be positive. In NBA, adding Kyrie means losing a lot of rotation players, starters.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by ozwizard8 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:42 am

PLAYOFFS for Luka Mavs in the last 4 years
Lost series against Clippers(x2), Warriors:
- Mavs still have no answer to Kawhi-PG. Both teams were able to score in the paint effortlessly.
- Wiggins-Draymond-Looney frontcourt win their matchups. We did not have plus defenders in the frontcourt to offer help defense against Steph without conceding easy points.

Win series against Jazz, Suns:
- Jazz is supposed to have a better frontcourt against us with Gobert. Kleber won his matchup against Gobert due to the small ball lineup, and Maxi making 3s. Gobert couldn't dominate and infact Maxi-plan was better which made Gobert be benched at times! Jazz lacked have elite size at SF-PF to overpower DFS-Dinwiddie-Maxi. Even without Luka, Mavs were on par with Jazz.

- Suns had bunch of 3&D defensive wingmen who couldn't overpower DFS-Dinwiddie-Maxi as they were able to switch. Their center Ayton, was not expected to dominate and their guards did not feed him well so Mavs did not lose the frontcourt battle much. Their frontcourt rotation was better, they offered rebounding, steals, and blocks for sure but not dominate totally.
Luka-Brunson vs Booker-Paul, and we know who would win!

I dont think Mavs lost playoff series due to lack of scoring, or lack of offense created by backcourt players. Luka is crazy good, he can easily score 40-point triple-double even against the best defensive teams like LAC of 2021.
Mavs lost against better frontcourt rotations.

2023 playoff matchup that Mavs would suffer: Denver, TWolves, Clippers
If healthy and on-form these teams would overpower our frontcourt: Lakers-Warriors-Pelicans

If Mavs are lucky to play against teams like Kings, injured Pels, Suns, we may still make WCF. Otherwise, this team looks like first-round exit even with Luka's greatness.
I feel similar things about Suns. Durant-Booker-Beal is great offensive power but that's not a solid balanced playoff team.
Kyrie sounds great offensively but his playoff teams suffered for last 6 years.

Mavs team would rather have Wiggins+6th men guard scorer, Gordon+6th men guard scorer, J.Grant+6th men guard scorer than only having Kyrie.
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,868

Post#37 » by 41Dirk41 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:52 am

ozwizard8 wrote:Mavs playing without Kyrie is looking fine

What????

3-3 with 2 W against lottery team :lol: :lol: :lol:

Not even numbers confirm your opinion :banghead:
tleikheen
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by tleikheen » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:41 pm

What????

SMH ,LOL ........ the 4th quarter mindset of Kyrie is missing ,which is needed . Kyrie handles the ball more than Luka 4th quarters because Kyrie doesnt miss FT's which Luka does.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#39 » by ozwizard8 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:44 pm

41Dirk41 wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:Mavs playing without Kyrie is looking fine

What????

W T F are you talking about?

If you fully invest in a star player and he does not play, you will suffer. This player has a habit of having physical and mental injuries and not playing for a considerable amount of time.

Mavs invested $40m dollars, 2 starters and an unprotected pick. Imagine if Mavs paying this money to Aaron Gordon+Kentavious Caldwell-Pope. Or pay this much to Brunson + a solid frontcourt player. It'd be much better outcome.

The problem is even Kyrie plays he is not bringing wins. 4th seed Mavs to 11th seed. Same **** with Boston and Brooklyn. Cavs Kyrie without Lebron was epic disaster too.

Kyrie is one of the worst price/performance player in the league. He clearly does not fit well with Luka to justify his MAX.
7 years history of losing with Kyrie says the problem is him not Luka.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach

Post#40 » by tleikheen » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:19 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/bask-in-dante-exum-s-glow-up-from-nba-exile-to-dallas-mavericks-starter/ar-AA1lZ1Wn?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=35b8608b140b4e5f8bde37ff56859d2e&ei=36

“You know, it’s ironic. He ended the game [on the floor], and when we got him, that’s kind of the role [Exum fit] — third point guard,” Kidd said in his postgame interview. “But what he’s done is put himself as a starter, and we’ll probably keep him as a starter. If we’re healthy tomorrow, he’s going to start with Kai and Luka.”

There it is ...... 3 guard lineup . Its about the pressure and pace they will put on opposing defenses.It's not a small guard lineup with Luka 6'7" and Dante a hair under 6'6" either. The odd man out the guessing is Grant Williams heads to the 2nd unit and Derek Jones Jr joins Lively,Doncic,Irving,&Exum as starters. But look for more emphasis on a trade for a PF 6'9" or bigger.

Return to Dallas Mavericks