And1: 4,549

Re: Dallas Mavericks 2024 Trade thread 

Post#301 » by dygaction » Tue May 7, 2024 7:11 pm

Mr B wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=3KaI_3QT7XTTm5N8gt4yQg

Luka is one of LeBron's favorite player;
Kyrie was LeBron's best teammate defeating 73-win Warriors;
Kidd was an assistant under Vogel on the LeBron' 2020 championship season and teammates at the 2008 Olympics;
LeBron filling in the most needed 3/4 seamlessly;
No roster adjustment for Luka's off minutes with LeBron playing 1...

If LeBron wants to force it and sacrifice salary wise, a $100M/3yr with player option at year 3 s&t for THJ + Green + all picks Mavs have? For Mavs, the media coverage and ability to attract other players offset the risk.
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,243

Post#302 » by BeiBeau » Tue May 7, 2024 7:21 pm

Jg41 wrote:Packaging THJ, cash, the TOR ‘25 2nd (and even 2-3 of our remaining 2nds and/or our ‘26 1st round swap if necessary) in a dump to ORL for a low value 1st (Denver’s ‘25 pick for example) is my slightly preferred use of the THJ asset(?) vs. most alternates.

Why? Orlando needs shooting and wouldn’t be giving up much in return. We’d open up a spot in the rotation for Hardy and unlock our full mid-level exception—which we’ll need to be able to retain DJJ. His value is only going to go up from here, and the BAE is only in play if we get destroyed by OKC in 4 or 5. If we make it out of this round, retaining him for the BAE is a pipe dream.

Then you focus on packaging Green and our 3 firsts (along with a Powell or Exum if necessary for salary matching purposes) to go out and get a bonafide 2-way SF that’s legitimately good enough to relegate DJJ to the bench. Herb Jones would be my pick ideal pick, especially when you factor in age, contract, size, and skillset, but acquiring him specifically will depend on how NO wants to proceed this summer.

Then you sign Hardy to a team friendly extension (3 for 25ish) and give him a legit shot (20-24 min a night) pre-trade deadline to prove he can be our third guard off the bench. If he leaves something to be desired, that’s when you go make a move for a N. Powell / C. Sexton caliber player. Doing so this off-season shortchanges Hardy and neuters his potential as an asset (whether that be on the court or in a trade).

I know Exum’s health + Kyrie and Luka’s RS workload / injury history compels us to think that a more competent tertiary playmaker should be at the top of Nico’s summer wishlist, but anyone who’s watched Hardy play knows he’s a walking bucket. With more polish (he’s got Kidd, Luka and Kyrie to study under— every resource a young guard could ask for) and a consistent role in the rotation, he could absolutely be that guy provided he puts the work in and improves his decision-making.

‘24-‘25 Depth Chart:

PG: L. Doncic (36) / D. Exum (8)
SG: K. Irving (36) / J. Hardy (20) / A. Lawson
SF: H. Jones (30) / D. Jones Jr. (20) / O. Prosper
PF: P. Washington Jr. (30) / M. Kleber (16) / M. Morris
C: D. Lively (24) / D. Gafford (20) / D. Powell

2-ways:
B. Williams
A. Fudge
2024 2nd Rd Pick (Via Boston)

If Dallas could magicallly get Herb then DJJ would not get enough playing time to make his new contract worth it.

Ingram is the odd man out in NOLA not Jones or Murphy so the Pelicans would need to be blown out of the water. Josh Green and 3 **** 1st won’t get Herb. Green is useful on the court but his contract is negative unless he pops the **** off for Dallas in the rest of the post season.

I like Hardy and think the kid could take some THJ minutes with out much drop off, but he shot 41% for the field and 36% from the field with a 2:1 assist to turnover ratio. Any ideas that he’s the 3rd playmaker with out serious improvement is the same type of wishful thinking that cause us to miss the post season last year.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#303 » by dygaction » Thu May 9, 2024 8:37 am

How much would Obi Toppin get in his new contract? Luka and Kyrie can sure run with another Slam Dunk champion who is 4 inches taller than DJJ and shooter better 3s. Younger Aaron Gordon anyone? Might need a s&t. Would Carlise be interested in getting some former Mavs?
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,102

Post#304 » by daoneandonly » Thu May 9, 2024 11:06 am

dygaction wrote:How much would Obi Toppin get in his new contract? Luka and Kyrie can sure run with another Slam Dunk champion who is 4 inches taller than DJJ and shooter better 3s. Younger Aaron Gordon anyone? Might need a s&t. Would Carlise be interested in getting some former Mavs?

Unfortunatley he's not close to the defender or even ball handler that Gordon is, so he's not worth much
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#305 » by dygaction » Thu May 9, 2024 3:32 pm

daoneandonly wrote:
dygaction wrote:How much would Obi Toppin get in his new contract? Luka and Kyrie can sure run with another Slam Dunk champion who is 4 inches taller than DJJ and shooter better 3s. Younger Aaron Gordon anyone? Might need a s&t. Would Carlise be interested in getting some former Mavs?

Unfortunatley he's not close to the defender or even ball handler that Gordon is, so he's not worth much

Gordon was not known for defense at Magic, the same for PJ. DJJ may command full MLE if he performs well and Mavs pass OKC, Obi has been consistently better.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#306 » by daoneandonly » Thu May 9, 2024 3:54 pm

dygaction wrote:
daoneandonly wrote:

Gordon was not known for defense at Magic, the same for PJ. DJJ may command full MLE if he performs well and Mavs pass OKC, Obi has been consistently better.

Gordon was always known as a defender from what I remember. People were comparing him to Shawn Marion
arkuo
General Manager
And1: 1,935

Post#307 » by arkuo » Sun May 19, 2024 8:12 am

Toronto is said to be trading Bruce Brown in the summer. Although I prefer Dallas to get a Jaden Mcdaniels or KCP type. Brown is still another player who can play defense. And players like Mcdaniels doesnt exactly grow on trees.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#308 » by dygaction » Sun May 19, 2024 8:51 am

Cason Wallace is another Dallas local that Mavs should keep in mind for future trade or sign, maybe after his rookie scale contract. Always more exciting to have more family and friends in the arena.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#309 » by dygaction » Sun May 19, 2024 8:57 am

Who do you think is better, current DJJ or 22 playoff DFS? DFS got a contract of $55M/4yr.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 10,995

Post#310 » by Mavrelous » Sun May 19, 2024 9:05 am

dygaction wrote:Who do you think is better, current DJJ or 22 playoff DFS? DFS got a contract of $55M/4yr.

DJJ replaced Bullock not DFS, as a POA defender, DJJ>>DFS, as a defensive Swiss army knife 4 who covered for lack of rim protection, and as a spot up 3 pt shooter, DFS is better.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
arkuo
General Manager

Post#311 » by arkuo » Sun May 19, 2024 10:23 am

DFS was the primary defender when Dallas went on that awful losing season. I get the semtimental value and all, but he's no OG Anunoby or anything. No use bringing him back IMO. Just move on and re-sign DJJ and continue adding pieces.
daoneandonly
RealGM

Post#312 » by daoneandonly » Sun May 19, 2024 10:57 am

arkuo wrote:DFS was the primary defender when Dallas went on that awful losing season. I get the semtimental value and all, but he's no OG Anunoby or anything. No use bringing him back IMO. Just move on and re-sign DJJ and continue adding pieces.

Yea I was a huge DoeDoe fan, but I wouldn't trade assets for him. If it were a straight swap of THJ or Green sure, but not adding incentives
StoneIsland
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#313 » by StoneIsland » Sun May 19, 2024 11:04 am

We don’t need DFS right now. What we need to do is find a way to trade Green/THJ and eventually Hardy, so we can get a decent SF to play with DJJ. I wouldn’t mind someone like Thybulle or De’Andre Hunter.
arkuo
General Manager

Post#314 » by arkuo » Sun May 19, 2024 2:53 pm

StoneIsland wrote:We don’t need DFS right now. What we need to do is find a way to trade Green/THJ and eventually Hardy, so we can get a decent SF to play with DJJ. I wouldn’t mind someone like Thybulle or De’Andre Hunter.

I'd trade Green/THJ for Herb Jones. This puts Dallas over the top on defense. But with Valinciunas walking away, Im afraid Nola will want Gafford instead.
StoneIsland
Freshman
And1: 38

Post#315 » by StoneIsland » Sun May 19, 2024 5:41 pm

arkuo wrote:
StoneIsland wrote:We don’t need DFS right now. What we need to do is find a way to trade Green/THJ and eventually Hardy, so we can get a decent SF to play with DJJ. I wouldn’t mind someone like Thybulle or De’Andre Hunter.

I'd trade Green/THJ for Herb Jones. This puts Dallas over the top on defense. But with Valinciunas walking away, Im afraid Nola will want Gafford instead.

Actually, as far as I’ve read, NOLA is looking for a center that can spread the floor for Zion to operate inside. Maybe someone like Reid or Vucevic. I don’t think they would value Gafford that much.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,152

Post#316 » by ozwizard8 » Sun May 19, 2024 7:09 pm

Having Lively-PJ-Gafford made a big change to this team. That trio would change a lot for most teams. Imagine adding Lively-PJ-Gafford to SUNS instead of Beal-Nurkic. Signing DJJ-Exum for vet min is also crazy.

Nico brought the team back where he started. Hopefully next year, we'll have some home court advantage in playoffs as well.
There are owners and GMs who insist on the mistakes, or double-down on mistakes -> like Suns. But our FO realized their mistakes of last year. Great pick in Lively, thanks to lottery, thanks to last two games tanking and thanks Presti trading up. Then PJ-Gafford for dirt cheap. It was highway robbery.

Seriously though, 2024 NBA Draft's top 3 pick may not be as good as D.Lively. Its like winning lottery for Mavs FO. Simply great!

I like both Lively and Gafford. If they improve their game, they may both ask for 30+mpg and also 30% of salary cap type of contracts. - Lively is on a cheap rookie deal because he is picked at #10. Making $22m/4-year.
- Gafford is on reasonable $40m/3-year deal.

So Gafford expiring at 2026 and Lively's rookie deal run out on 2027. We may give Gafford an extension next year and keep until Lively's new deal comes up. At some point we may need to trade one though.

There could be a possibility to trade some contracts for sign&trade Paul George or some wing player going forward. We also need to resign DJJ so its not easy but we have assets thanks to highway robbery in Gafford-PJ and great FA signings on DJJ-Exum.

Luka Doncic is a great player to play with to boost your value. Any ring chaser, or a career journey man should think about playing with Luka. Its similar to what Jokic did for Bruce Brown. Luka raising value of DJJ! Hope more cheap vet deals coming up in next years.
dygaction
Head Coach

Post#317 » by dygaction » Sun May 19, 2024 11:54 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
dygaction wrote:Who do you think is better, current DJJ or 22 playoff DFS? DFS got a contract of $55M/4yr.

DJJ replaced Bullock not DFS, as a POA defender, DJJ>>DFS, as a defensive Swiss army knife 4 who covered for lack of rim protection, and as a spot up 3 pt shooter, DFS is better.

Agree with the analysis. My question was really to calibrate DJJ's next contract. Bullock/DFS/Dinwiddie, now DJJ/PJ all peaked with Mavs in the WCF runs. I am wondering how much value Mavs or other teams should put. In my opinion full MLE might be overpay but likely there are teams willing to overpay.
Archx
RealGM
And1: 8,225

Post#318 » by Archx » Mon May 20, 2024 12:15 am

dygaction wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:

Agree with the analysis. My question was really to calibrate DJJ's next contract. Bullock/DFS/Dinwiddie, now DJJ/PJ all peaked with Mavs in the WCF runs. I am wondering how much value Mavs or other teams should put. In my opinion full MLE might be overpay but likely there are teams willing to overpay.

I'm probably a bit biased because i already wanted DJJ before he was on anyone's radar. I thought he would be a perfect fit next to Luka and this team. I was pleasantly surprised when he was actually picked up. So, i think i would give him around 8-10M. Though in reality he'll want something in that 10-14M range (Green money). PJ i think is worth a bit more due to more reliable offense 15-20M.

But it's a free market so, who knows really. And keep in mind that cap is going up. 10M last season is not the same as 10M next season. That's why even Green's contract will look slightly cheaper.

Trading THJ will be important just to clear some cap. Hardy is a direct replacement for THJ so not upgrading over THJ is not going to be a massive problem. Mavs dropped the ball by forcing him to play so much this season instead of Hardy, who has been a nice boost in the lineup lately.
Teffer10
Head Coach
And1: 860

Post#319 » by Teffer10 » Mon May 20, 2024 8:15 am

Archx wrote:
dygaction wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:

I'm probably a bit biased because i already wanted DJJ before he was on anyone's radar. I thought he would be a perfect fit next to Luka and this team. I was pleasantly surprised when he was actually picked up. So, i think i would give him around 8-10M. Though in reality he'll want something in that 10-14M range (Green money). PJ i think is worth a bit more due to more reliable offense 15-20M.

But it's a free market so, who knows really. And keep in mind that cap is going up. 10M last season is not the same as 10M next season. That's why even Green's contract will look slightly cheaper.

Trading THJ will be important just to clear some cap. Hardy is a direct replacement for THJ so not upgrading over THJ is not going to be a massive problem. Mavs dropped the ball by forcing him to play so much this season instead of Hardy, who has been a nice boost in the lineup lately.

Yeah, agree about keeping Hardy.
If we can re-sign DJJ, we wont need to make any major moves.
Maybe shop THJ, Green, Exum, and Maxi to improve the bench, but I don't see any reason for this team to make any major moves.

Hardy, OMax and Lawson can probably provide as much offense as Green, Exum and THJ if they take their game to another level, and OMax should get the opportunity to get into the SF/PF rotation next season and maybe get some of Maxi's minutes. I'd probably want to keep Maxi though.
Bob8
General Manager
And1: 3,677

Post#320 » by Bob8 » Mon May 20, 2024 8:24 am

Teffer10 wrote:
Archx wrote:
dygaction wrote:

Yeah, agree about keeping Hardy.
If we can re-sign DJJ, we wont need to make any major moves.
Maybe shop THJ, Green, Exum, and Maxi to improve the bench, but I don't see any reason for this team to make any major moves.

Why would you shop Exum, he's on minimum and even, if you play him only in RS, he's more than worth it? Just somehow trade THJ and Josh and that's it.

Return to Dallas Mavericks