RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Raptors (Nov 8)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,946

RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Raptors (Nov 8) 

Post#1 » by Dirk » Tue Nov 7, 2023 3:30 pm

The Raptors have the horses to trouble Luka, but has done well against them.

60/21/10
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,871

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Raptors (Nov 8) 

Post#2 » by 41Dirk41 » Tue Nov 7, 2023 3:42 pm

Trust in D-Rex :rock:
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,863

Post#3 » by dirkforpres » Tue Nov 7, 2023 4:15 pm

Just gonna say... Thank God we picked Lively over Dick
FIRE JASON KIDD
BeiBeau
Starter
And1: 1,273

Post#4 » by BeiBeau » Tue Nov 7, 2023 4:23 pm

dirkforpres wrote:Just gonna say... Thank God we picked Lively over Dick

I know that I’ve always been the biggest believer in lively going back to the draft. But was that ever truly an option?

“Hey Luka we know you need defense but we drafted you another unathletic white guy who can shot”
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#5 » by dirkforpres » Tue Nov 7, 2023 4:41 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:Just gonna say... Thank God we picked Lively over Dick

I know that I’ve always been the biggest believer in lively going back to the draft. But was that ever truly an option?

“Hey Luka we know you need defense but we drafted you another unathletic white guy who can shot”

Mavs worked him out and GD had also posted pics at the Mavs training facility, so there was smoke coming from both sides that there was mutual interest. I never truly believed he was in serious contention at 10, but once we went down to 12 I did start to get a little worried. I think the thinking at the time was that if we did end up with Capela or Ayton, then SF would be the area of concern on draft night.
FIRE JASON KIDD
kacey ring
Sixth Man
And1: 920

Post#6 » by kacey ring » Tue Nov 7, 2023 5:52 pm

Raptors are a good rebounding team. Plenty of size and length to give us problems.

TRex > Raptor tho.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#7 » by BeiBeau » Wed Nov 8, 2023 6:13 am

If Masai travels for the game hopefully Nico can sit with him and talk some OG trades.
Michaellam1987
Rookie
And1: 367

Post#8 » by Michaellam1987 » Wed Nov 8, 2023 8:32 am

BeiBeau wrote:If Masai travels for the game hopefully Nico can sit with him and talk some OG trades.

There are no realistic trade offer that DAL can acquire OG.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#9 » by BeiBeau » Wed Nov 8, 2023 1:30 pm

Michaellam1987 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:If Masai travels for the game hopefully Nico can sit with him and talk some OG trades.

OG is on an expiring and is probably not going to resign. There is a trade for him that exists. But only if Dallas is willing to overpay.
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,027

Post#10 » by Mavrelous » Wed Nov 8, 2023 1:35 pm

No one is trading expensive package for OG when DET, IND, PHI and ORL have max space next summer waiting to sign player like him, especially not the Mavs.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
Michaellam1987
Rookie

Post#11 » by Michaellam1987 » Wed Nov 8, 2023 1:44 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:

OG is on an expiring and is probably not going to resign. There is a trade for him that exists. But only if Dallas is willing to overpay.

There will be teams willing to overpay, and provide better assets to TOR
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#12 » by BeiBeau » Wed Nov 8, 2023 1:55 pm

Michaellam1987 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:

Hasn’t been one yet
Michaellam1987
Rookie

Post#13 » by Michaellam1987 » Wed Nov 8, 2023 1:58 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:

Hasn’t been one yet

Let's see who will be right at the end. Please bookmark this thread.
Michaellam1987
Rookie

Post#14 » by Michaellam1987 » Wed Nov 8, 2023 2:28 pm

Mavrelous wrote:No one is trading expensive package for OG when DET, IND, PHI and ORL have max space next summer waiting to sign player like him, especially not the Mavs.

I think the team trading for OG will also get his bird right, so that particular team can offer him the most money to resign him in the offseason. I seriously think PHI will offer anything not named Embiid and Maxey, to trade for him.
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#15 » by BeiBeau » Wed Nov 8, 2023 2:32 pm

Michaellam1987 wrote:
BeiBeau wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:

Hasn’t been one yet

Let's see who will be right at the end. Please bookmark this thread.

Right about what? I have made 0 hot takes in this thread, nor have I said anything that I’d eat crow over. Dallas could get OG if they were willing to overpay which no teams currently are willing to do or he’d be traded.

The reason no teams are making that trade is as was mentioned in this thread. OG could leave for nothing at the end of the season. But that decrease in value goes both ways, because he is probably going to walk from the raptors for nothing right now.

I’m suggesting Dallas should consider overpaying for a decreased value premium player. Just like they did last year. I don’t know if it’s what they should for sure do, but it’s an idea. And I doubt OG actually ends up on the Mavs, but mostly because after the gamble that was Kyrie, I don’t know if Dallas would be willing to roll the dice again.
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#16 » by dirkforpres » Wed Nov 8, 2023 2:35 pm

Mavrelous wrote:No one is trading expensive package for OG when DET, IND, PHI and ORL have max space next summer waiting to sign player like him, especially not the Mavs.

We all know that agents make trades. If OG gets dealt to Dallas (or anywhere), I assume it comes with a handshake agreement beyond this season.

Same thing with Porzingis... Same thing with Kyrie...
FIRE JASON KIDD
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,027

Post#17 » by Mavrelous » Wed Nov 8, 2023 2:54 pm

dirkforpres wrote:

We all know that agents make trades. If OG gets dealt to Dallas (or anywhere), I assume it comes with a handshake agreement beyond this season.

KP was a RFA, significantly younger, and higher profile player in general, and he returned unprotected 1st and a heavily protected 1st (+ salary dump).
OG is an UFA, can choose where he wants to go, and there is no guarantee he chooses to stay, teams will choose to wait for him or try to get him in S&T.
OG isn't Kyrie, Kyrie had very little suitors, Mavs felt confident in ability to resign him, OG OTOH, fits everywhere and doesn't have that kind of baggage, top 3 3&D player in the league who seems to be loved by his teammates, I definitely see IND and PHI offering him north of 130/4 in FA, and teams lining up to do S&T, you don't bankrupt yourself out of assets for the option to overpay a 3&D player.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
BeiBeau
Starter

Post#18 » by BeiBeau » Wed Nov 8, 2023 3:52 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

KP was a RFA, significantly younger, and higher profile player in general, and he returned unprotected 1st and a heavily protected 1st (+ salary dump).
OG is an UFA, can choose where he wants to go, and there is no guarantee he chooses to stay, teams will choose to wait for him or try to get him in S&T.
OG isn't Kyrie, Kyrie had very little suitors, Mavs felt confident in ability to resign him, OG OTOH, fits everywhere and doesn't have that kind of baggage, top 3 3&D player in the league who seems to be loved by his teammates, I definitely see IND and PHI offering him north of 130/4 in FA, and teams lining up to do S&T, you don't bankrupt yourself out of assets for the option to overpay a 3&D player.

I think he’s going to get closer to 160/4
mademan
RealGM
And1: 28,654

Post#19 » by mademan » Wed Nov 8, 2023 4:41 pm

BeiBeau wrote:
Michaellam1987 wrote:

Whats Dallas willing to overpay with tho? At this point, Lively will almost certainly be off the table, which means Raps arent getting a singular high upside asset (besides like an unprotected pick 6 years from now that might be high value).

Dallas is still a 3 way team option for whatever role player salary filler Toronto would get from ATL in a potential Siakam deal that i think both teams will circle back on (hunter or capela), as i think the Raps would value Hardy a lot and he seems like a luxury at this point for you guys.
daoneandonly
RealGM
And1: 3,106

Post#20 » by daoneandonly » Wed Nov 8, 2023 5:00 pm

Yet another reason why extending Green at an inflated # was a mistake. His best value would be in a trade, which is all but impossible now. It o ne thing if you got him for 9-10 mil, probably his value, but now u just locked urself in and cant trade him in deals for guys like an OG or someone similar that would help the team.

Just because it was a mistake not extending Brunson because u thought he had more value in a trade doesnt mean Josh was the same situation.

Return to Dallas Mavericks