ImageImageImage

RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Magic (Mond. 830PMEST)

Moderators: Dirk, HMFFL, Mavrelous

Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,934

RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Magic (Mond. 830PMEST) 

Post#1 » by Dirk » Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:53 pm

The Magic play the Suns today and then Mavs.

Injuries

Someone please fill me in. I've given up understanding how there is never an healthy roster this season.
60/21/10
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,036

Re: RS 23/24 - Mavs vs Magic (Mond. 830PMEST) 

Post#2 » by tleikheen » Sun Jan 28, 2024 9:06 pm

Suggs is a athletic big guard who wont stop Luke (no one does) but Luka is starting to show alittle tiredness . But I think all these minutes are making Luka tougher ,mentally and physically . But still Dante and Kyrie need to be healthy when they come back.
I keep seeing ....enough of JKidds smallball lineup.
GermanFan120
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,185

Post#3 » by GermanFan120 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:09 pm

Luka needs to score 54+ to barely beat the Magic. Good luck.
Everyone has a right to be stupid. Some just abuse the privilege.
ejs78
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,091

Post#4 » by ejs78 » Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:22 pm

FYI:

Read on Twitter
?t=Q8zoxUGrP8LReK_rNPNmBA&s=19

Sent from my SM-G960U using RealGM Forums mobile app
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer
And1: 719

Post#5 » by BliscoSantos » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:28 am

Damn, another game without Kyrie...this really sucks...now Luka's gonna have to play,yet again, 45 minutes just so that the Mavs stay close... that's a recipe for disaster...we know Luka's banged up...playing him heavy minutes is not a good idea... they're gonna run him to the ground, yet again....Kyrie's got to be healthy for the playoffs, they're gonna need him, offcourse they have to get there first and without trades(and all the injuries piling up) it's gonna be hard
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,152

Post#6 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:03 am

BliscoSantos wrote:Damn, another game without Kyrie...this really sucks...now Luka's gonna have to play,yet again, 45 minutes just so that the Mavs stay close... that's a recipe for disaster...we know Luka's banged up...playing him heavy minutes is not a good idea... they're gonna run him to the ground, yet again....Kyrie's got to be healthy for the playoffs, they're gonna need him, offcourse they have to get there first and without trades(and all the injuries piling up) it's gonna be hard

After the Kyrie trade, even making playoffs become a challenge for Mavs. A team with an MVP favorite is failing to make playoffs would be only possible with Kyrie. Congrats. #1 franchise destroyer.

Mavs paying all the money for Kyrie, sending unprotected picks and trading decent players in Dinwiddie-DFS did not work at all. On-court performance is lackluster. Defensive fit with Luka-THJ is trash, and offensive fit is not great. Physical/mental health issues are disappointing but not surprising.

I cannot imagine what would be Mavs record if Dereck Lively was not a solid rookie center. Seriously no one expected him to be ready for heavy NBA starting minutes like. Lively is playing much better than the rookie version of Tyson Chandler.

Luka is also doing great, it is not like the 2021-22 season, where he missed 15 games before January. Cant imagine what would happen if Luka missed 15 games this season.

I am not sure if this team can make #5, #6 seeds without a really good trade. Luka Magic can advance the team to playoffs with a successful play-in tournament performance. But then again, this team would require to have a very lucky matchup to get 2nd round in playoffs. Clippers-Nuggets can easily finish the West #1-#2 seeds and I dont think Mavs can win series against them.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:23 am

tleikheen wrote:Suggs is a athletic big guard who wont stop Luke (no one does) but Luka is starting to show alittle tiredness . But I think all these minutes are making Luka tougher ,mentally and physically . But still Dante and Kyrie need to be healthy when they come back.
I keep seeing ....enough of JKidds smallball lineup.

I dont like putting 3-guard lineups either.
But he really doesn't have much to play with. Holmes is not doing good similar to his last few years in NBA.
Maxi still couldn't get back to his old form after injury. DJJ is playing on a vet.min deal so you cannot expect more than him. and now out for this game anyway.
I wouldn't want to be in Kidd's position right now.

The idea of paying MAX money, trading unprotected picks+DFS+Dinwiddie for a superstar was having that superstar to makeup for others.

Like you can see how Kevin Durant sometimes play with trash lineups but keep them in the game with his greatness. Booker can also make shots and keep his team afloat for some time. Our so-called superstar kyrie is always injured and when he plays he rarely shows up like a MAX player.
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:25 am

GermanFan120 wrote:Luka needs to score 54+ to barely beat the Magic. Good luck.

Luka made 17 assists last game. If he wants he can always go for 40-50 points. Some of his assists are simply looking for finding a better shot, making others engaged in the game.

Read on Twitter
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by BliscoSantos » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:52 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:Damn, another game without Kyrie...this really sucks...now Luka's gonna have to play,yet again, 45 minutes just so that the Mavs stay close... that's a recipe for disaster...we know Luka's banged up...playing him heavy minutes is not a good idea... they're gonna run him to the ground, yet again....Kyrie's got to be healthy for the playoffs, they're gonna need him, offcourse they have to get there first and without trades(and all the injuries piling up) it's gonna be hard

After the Kyrie trade, even making playoffs become a challenge for Mavs. A team with an MVP favorite is failing to make playoffs would be only possible with Kyrie. Congrats. #1 franchise destroyer.

Mavs paying all the money for Kyrie, sending unprotected picks and trading decent players in Dinwiddie-DFS did not work at all. On-court performance is lackluster. Defensive fit with Luka-THJ is trash, and offensive fit is not great. Physical/mental health issues are disappointing but not surprising.

I cannot imagine what would be Mavs record if Dereck Lively was not a solid rookie center. Seriously no one expected him to be ready for heavy NBA starting minutes like. Lively is playing much better than the rookie version of Tyson Chandler.

Luka is also doing great, it is not like the 2021-22 season, where he missed 15 games before January. Cant imagine what would happen if Luka missed 15 games this season.

I am not sure if this team can make #5, #6 seeds without a really good trade. Luka Magic can advance the team to playoffs with a successful play-in tournament performance. But then again, this team would require to have a very lucky matchup to get 2nd round in playoffs. Clippers-Nuggets can easily finish the West #1-#2 seeds and I dont think Mavs can win series against them.

I get what you're trying to say but it's not Kyrie's fault the rest of the roster is bad...sure if Kyrie was healthy they'd go to the playoffs,but it's not like they're a contender...a rookie(who didn't even dominate in college) came to the team and became the best big man on the team by a longshot...that just tells you how terrible the Mavs big man (C's and PF's) have been for the last 5 years(healthy Porzingis was the exception...he and Luka were on a tear their first year,bubble...before his injuries)...this team kept on resigning their big man Just because they're nice guys,even though they're terrible at basketball...I never understood the love for Powell,Maxi...Powell was a nice pick'n roll player,Maxi could play solid D(not great...he got torched by Kawhi and People were praising his D...he can't guard C's,he's a nice help defender)...at least Powell is now on a OK contract(though Drummond is better and cheaper),meanwhile Maxi is becoming the new Bertras of the NBA(a terrible/unmovable contract)..you have Holmes who looks cooked(Lost on D,bad at setting blocks...at least he can grab a rebound) and an undersized PF who looks like Charles Barkley without the talent...small ball is dead and yet the Mavs insist on playing it with dumb lineups like Luka-Hardy-THJ-Green-Grant( or Kyrie-Hardy-Seth-DJJ-Grant)...those four guards lineups are terrible
41Dirk41
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,868

Post#10 » by 41Dirk41 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:19 pm

We have 3 Cs who earn 30M and they combinated play worse than a vet min guy... This is the biggest problem right now, not Kyrie/THJ/or someone else.

Then we can talk about Kidd, defense and other basketball stuff.
dirkforpres
RealGM
And1: 7,863

Post#11 » by dirkforpres » Mon Jan 29, 2024 5:37 pm

This team is lifeless and the fact that we are so dependent on Luka playing 40+ min and having a record breaking performance just to eek out wins against lowly EC teams is embarrassing.

Cant wait for trades or Kidd being fired to shake things up. Not even gonna bother watching until then.
FIRE JASON KIDD
ozwizard8
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by ozwizard8 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:20 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:

I get what you're trying to say but it's not Kyrie's fault the rest of the roster is bad...sure if Kyrie was healthy they'd go to the playoffs,but it's not like they're a contender.

It is Mavs FO's fault of bringing kyrie. It took us unprotected picks, dfs, dinwiddie to get kyrie. Kyrie is making max money.
Kyrie is not playing like a max player.
Imagine Mavs having Paul Geroge, KAT, Bam Adebayo, D.Booker etc. I did not even count the superstars. Just listed some max players that are worth the given salary.

Kyrie being unavailable due to mental or physical health issues is not a new thing. As a max player he is fraud but I cant accuse him for taking the max contract, that's the FO's mistake. Cuban is probably paying $1m/game for Kyrie since Kyrie is out for half of the games. I dont care how much money Cuban would lose, but I do care about salary cap.

Paying Kyrie max money (while having Luka-THJ) means the rest of the roster to be bad. He may not be responsible for signing a lucrative deal. But Mavs FO is responsible for investing in Kyrie. Its been 1 year and total record is terrible. The reality is Mavs are struggling to make playoffs after that trade while having prime Luka.
tleikheen
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,036

Post#13 » by tleikheen » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:33 pm

When I saw Curry and Harden out there I turned to a movie channel .They were'nt going to win.......
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,012

Post#14 » by Mavrelous » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:07 pm

This is the 2nd year in a row team's franchise player is stranded with inadequate roster, climbing an impossible hill, 1-4 in the last 5 with him scoring 73 to squeak the sole win.
The franchise isn't in a good spot and everyone from FO, through coaching staff to players need to reflect and draw conclusions.
6th year of an MVP calibre player shouldn't look like that.
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer, but not much to be excited about at this point.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#15 » by dirkforpres » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:20 pm

Mavrelous wrote:This is the 2nd year in a row team's franchise player is stranded with inadequate roster, climbing an impossible hill, 1-4 in the last 5 with him scoring 73 to squeak the sole win.
The franchise isn't in a good spot and everyone from FO, through coaching staff to players need to reflect and draw conclusions.

Cuban doing an AMA on X right now. Go let him have it... (A lot of MFFLs are :lol: )
FIRE JASON KIDD
Mavrelous
Forum Mod - Mavericks
Forum Mod - Mavericks
And1: 11,012

Post#16 » by Mavrelous » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:23 pm

dirkforpres wrote:
Mavrelous wrote:This is the 2nd year in a row team's franchise player is stranded with inadequate roster, climbing an impossible hill, 1-4 in the last 5 with him scoring 73 to squeak the sole win.

Cuban doing an AMA on X right now. Go let him have it... (A lot of MFFLs are :lol: )

Blocked him long ago, can't stand his sanctimonious ass.
blicka wrote:Can't wait to see doncic on an island vs jimmy butler,paul george or kahwi leonard and those weak ass moves that work in europe getting shut down
dirkforpres
RealGM

Post#17 » by dirkforpres » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:26 pm

Mavrelous wrote:
dirkforpres wrote:

Blocked him long ago, can't stand his sanctimonious ass.

Only reason I havent blocked him is to complain about how hes wasting Luka. Might not make a difference, but he still deserves all of the shade that gets directed his way because of it.
FIRE JASON KIDD
BliscoSantos
Bench Warmer

Post#18 » by BliscoSantos » Mon Jan 29, 2024 8:31 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:

I get what you're trying to say but it's not Kyrie's fault the rest of the roster is bad...sure if Kyrie was healthy they'd go to the playoffs,but it's not like they're a contender.

It is Mavs FO's fault of bringing kyrie. It took us unprotected picks, dfs, dinwiddie to get kyrie. Kyrie is making max money.
Imagine Mavs having Paul Geroge, KAT, Bam Adebayo, D.Booker etc. I did not even count the superstars. Just listed some max players that are worth the given salary.

Kyrie being unavailable due to mental or physical health issues is not a new thing. As a max player he is fraud but I cant accuse him for taking the max contract, that's the FO's mistake. Cuban is probably paying $1m/game for Kyrie since Kyrie is out for half of the games. I dont care how much money Cuban would lose, but I do care about salary cap.

Paying Kyrie max money (while having Luka-THJ) means the rest of the roster to be bad. He may not be responsible for signing a lucrative deal. But Mavs FO is responsible for investing in Kyrie. Its been 1 year and total record is terrible. The reality is Mavs are struggling to make playoffs after that trade while having prime Luka.

That's because you're assuming Mavs could bring in another star(KAT,Booker,George)...btw,you named three players who the Mavs had no chance of getting,those teams were buyers,not sellers
The only problem Kyrie has is injuries(Towns and George aren't ironmen either, they've been relatively healthy this season)
Mavs Got the Best Player they could for verry little...and let's not pretend like they'd be any better with those two...they traded them away cause it didn't work(Both their stats are down)...
I said it before and I'll say it again...DJJ and Exum are on minimum contracts and and are outplaying everybody not named Luka,Kai,THJ and Lively...what do Holmes,Kleber,Grant,Powell give you??Green Just started playing good,was **** the entire season before this stretch,Hardy is giving you nothing(he's basicaly a worse THJ)
At least Mavs get something from the backcourt,the frontcourt apart from Lively gives you nothing..Maxi,Holmes and Kleber combined make 30 mio and they give you 10pts and 10reb and no D
joesha1698
Senior
And1: 125

Post#19 » by joesha1698 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:15 pm

ozwizard8 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:

Mavs are lucky to have signed Kyrie. FA aren't lining up to play in Dallas or play with Luka's style of play. And we got Kyrie at a discount. Plus, Kyrie is a great human being that gives back to the community. We're lucky to have his talents.
joesha1698
Senior
And1: 125

Post#20 » by joesha1698 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:16 pm

BliscoSantos wrote:
ozwizard8 wrote:
BliscoSantos wrote:

That's because you're assuming Mavs could bring in another star(KAT,Booker,George)...btw,you named three players who the Mavs had no chance of getting,those teams were buyers,not sellers
The only problem Kyrie has is injuries(Towns and George aren't ironmen either, they've been relatively healthy this season)
Mavs Got the Best Player they could for verry little...and let's not pretend like they'd be any better with those two...they traded them away cause it didn't work(Both their stats are down)...
I said it before and I'll say it again...DJJ and Exum are on minimum contracts and and are outplaying everybody not named Luka,Kai,THJ and Lively...what do Holmes,Kleber,Grant,Powell give you??Green Just started playing good,was **** the entire season before this stretch,Hardy is giving you nothing(he's basicaly a worse THJ)
At least Mavs get something from the backcourt,the frontcourt apart from Lively gives you nothing..Maxi,Holmes and Kleber combined make 30 mio and they give you 10pts and 10reb and no D

Well said.

Return to Dallas Mavericks