NL Central Watch

mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

NL Central Watch 

Post#1 » by mizzoupacers » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:25 pm

Today's games:

Cincinnati beat the Small Bears and Zambrano 5-1 behind Harang's pitching and Dunn's two home runs.

Milwaukee beat the Dodgers 7-1, with Ben Sheets pitching a complete-game two hitter and Bill Hall getting his first homer.

Pirates vs. Astros tonight.

The Brewers scare me. They've amassed some good young talent, and have put together a pretty solid-looking rotation. Just seems like an organization that has been on the right track for the last few years too. They could be this year's Tigers, NL version. Look out for them.

And the Astros always scare me. I'm not sure they have quite the talent they once had, but they are just a tough, veteran team. Houston always gives us problems.

OTOH, I think Chicago is going to be pretty average this year, despite the spending spree. I think their pitching and defense are suspect, at least on paper. And while they have some good hitters, it's kind of a wierd-looking lineup with too many generals and not enough foot soldiers. I think it's going to be an offense that blows hot and cold.

Not sure what to think of the Reds...Harang is good, maybe Arroyo will have another good year, and they can hit. But I'm not sure I can see them finishing above .500.

The Pirates showed signs of life the second half of last year, but they too are a team I can't see finishing above .500.

The Cardinals are of course a 110-win juggernaut. Right?
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#2 » by mizzoupacers » Tue Apr 3, 2007 2:09 pm

Lidge gave up a ninth-inning homer in the nightcap, blowing a typically excellent Roy Oswalt start. And Carlos Lee put up an oh-fer.

I'm guessing that Astros fans aren't too happy about it.
Gervin
Starter
And1: 20

Re: NL Central Watch 

Post#3 » by Gervin » Tue Apr 3, 2007 3:16 pm

mizzoupacers wrote:Today's games:

The Cardinals are of course a 110-win juggernaut. Right?

of course....DUH! :wink:
From the Glory Days of The Lakers Board - Respect That
Follow on Twitter @Gervination
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by mizzoupacers » Thu Apr 5, 2007 8:05 pm

With Cincy's win over the Cubs this afternoon, the NL Central doesn't resume again until tomorrow night. Looks like Jason Marquis actually pitched a pretty good game, but Chicago's bullpen let it get away.

All six teams square off against each other this weekend: Brewers vs. Cubs, Pirates vs. Reds, Cardinals vs. Astros.

Our series is the battle to escape the basement: Houston is 0-3 too. Can we hit the ball? Can we catch the ball? Can we win in Minute Maid Amusement Park? That place has been a house of horrors for us. The 200-foot home runs to left field have something to do with that. And don't forget the hill with the freakin' flagpole in center. What a joke. I greatly respect the Astros team and fans, but that ballpark is a piece of crap.
kg2005
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#5 » by kg2005 » Thu Apr 5, 2007 8:33 pm

I just hope that Pujols gets 7 or 8 at bats against Brad Lidge.
boogiesdad
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 52

Post#6 » by boogiesdad » Fri Apr 6, 2007 3:17 pm

We can only wish.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by mizzoupacers » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:57 pm

Jeff Suppan is now 0-2 for the Brewers, with an ERA over 4. Milwaukee's paying $10 million a year for that?!? They are CRAZY. 8)

(I'm being facetious--it's been all of a week.)

Despite our poor opening series, we can be tied for first in the Central by the end of the day if we beat the Pirates and Cincinnati loses in Arizona. Nothing to it, just have to ride on Randy Keisler's back.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#8 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:02 pm

1st place!!!
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:07 pm

We must be the only first-place team ever with a home winning pct. of .000.

Another historic feat, brought to you by YOUR St. Louis Cardinals. :lol:
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#10 » by BuckFan25226 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:56 pm

mizzoupacers wrote:Jeff Suppan is now 0-2 for the Brewers, with an ERA over 4. Milwaukee's paying $10 million a year for that?!? They are CRAZY. 8)

(I'm being facetious--it's been all of a week.)

Despite our poor opening series, we can be tied for first in the Central by the end of the day if we beat the Pirates and Cincinnati loses in Arizona. Nothing to it, just have to ride on Randy Keisler's back.

In all reality, I liked Soup. But that's what the guy is. He simply made his money coming up big in the postseason. He's a 4-5 ERA guy who will occasionally throw a gem and occasionally get rocked. And Milwaukee's bats have yet to prove they can back him up and get some wins. St. Louis IMO was the best place for him. We gave him run support, and gave him a nice defense.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,
blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:50 pm

^ Can't argue with that. Suppan is what he is. I expressed hope last winter that he would re-sign with us out of a realization that the Cardinals are just about the perfect team for him to play for. But, he got a lot more money from Milwaukee. Can't fault him for taking it. Nor can I really fault the Cardinals for not offering it to him.

I do think that he could be a good fit for the Brewers--they don't need him to be the ace, they have Ben Sheets. Suppan could really stabilize their rotation, but only if they put a good enough defense behind him to make his "pitch to contact" style work.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#12 » by bigboy1234 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:01 am

Suppan will most likely put up a 4.20 ERA, basically because thats what he does. In the 2nd half of last year he was one of the best pitchers in the game.
Buck You
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 541

Post#13 » by Buck You » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:39 am

Suppan has had some bad luck so far. He has pitched pretty well and i'm very sure he'll win over 14 games this year.
BuckFan25226
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#14 » by BuckFan25226 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:02 pm

ReddBogutCharlieV wrote:Suppan has had some bad luck so far. He has pitched pretty well and i'm very sure he'll win over 14 games this year.

Soup is what he is. He's a 4-5 ERA guy, he'll pitch a gem every once in a while. He excelled on our hitting and defense in St. Louis. It's whether Milwaukee will be able to give him his 4-6 runs to get him wins and back him up because he gives up alot of home runs and ground balls.
"didnt you watch the game with the raptors?bucks is also a playoff team ,they have enough ability to find wins from dalas and utach,

blow jazzs bitches and mavericks bitches out !"

- yiyiyi
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by mizzoupacers » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:46 pm

No one has pulled away from the pack at this point, but after beating the Astros and Roy Oswalt yesterday, the Brewers are looking more and more like the best team in the NL Central to me if the Cardinals can't figure out how to hit on days of the week that don't start with "S-U-N."

Milwaukee is second in the league right now in team batting average, and third in team OPS.

They are only eleventh in team ERA, but part of that is because Sheets has an ERA of 5. We know he's better than that. Capuano and Suppan have both been about as good as expected. Francisco Cordero has been lights-out as their closer.

It's still early, but the Brewers are the team I am most worried about. I think they're for real.
Gervin
Starter
And1: 20

Post#16 » by Gervin » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:56 pm

I gotta think the Cards will start gaining some momentum and take the Central.

I dont see the Brewers w/ a better record than maybe a few games over .500
From the Glory Days of The Lakers Board - Respect That
Follow on Twitter @Gervination

Return to St. Louis Cardinals