ImageImage

I think the Cardinals are done dealing this winter

mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

I think the Cardinals are done dealing this winter 

Post#1 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:11 pm

OK, we might still add a cheap starter/swingman pitcher. But with the Rolen trade, I think we already see pretty much the guys we are going to have in 2008.

Assuming everyone is healthy:

The infield starters are probably pretty much set. Pujols, Glaus, Molina, Kennedy, Izturis. The only guy who might not be a lock is Izturis, I could see Brendan Ryan starting at shortstop if Izturis has a really bad spring. But I'd give it probably 90% or better odds that Cesar will be the starter.

Outfield is a lot less clear. But unless Spring Training results change my mind, here's what I'd do: put Duncan in left, and Ankiel in right. (IMO Ankiel is meant to be a right fielder, not a center fielder; I don't think he has the experience/instincts for center, plus that cannon arm belongs in right). Center field, at least on opening day, probably goes to either Barton or Schumaker (or a platoon of those two)...we need somebody to bat lead-off, and I don't want it to be Kennedy or a low OBP guy like Ankiel. (We also don't want to waste Ankiel's power on the leadoff spot if he isn't getting on base at a steady rate.)

Hopefully Rasmus is ready to take over center field pretty quickly. He'd be OK hitting leadoff as far as I'm concerned.

Pitching rotation is Waino, Clement, Pineiro, Looper, and hopefully Mulder. Since Mulder probably won't be ready at the start of the season, and since I think he's probably not going to make it back anyway, we still need a fifth starter...I'd like to see Wellemeyer get first crack at it, unless one of our minor-leaguers really steps up. Thompson belongs in the pen. Reyes could get one last chance, but I wouldn't count on it, I think LaDuncan have already given up on him.

So there's your 2008 Cardinals. Probably a team that finishes fourth or fifth in the NL Central, ahead of the Pirates and maybe the Astros. But with this winter's moves, the door is open for the team to have a chance to be a lot better in 2009.

Overall, I'm actually fairly happy with what our front office has done this winter. With a lack of ready-to-go minor-league prospects and so much dead salary, we really weren't in a position to do too much. The only thing I think they kinda screwed up is shortstop, where we could have got someone better for the same money (Adam Everett, please) or just let Ryan have a shot at it for LESS money but potentially a higher ceiling. But at least Izturis only got a one-year deal.

As for 2008...oh well, I'll enjoy some of my favorites (Pujols, Wainwright, Molina), look forward to seeing some new guys (Glaus, Clement, and most especially Rasmus) and rewatch those '06 DVDs a bunch of times.
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#2 » by bigboy1234 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:22 pm

Way to many words to read in that above post.

You think Ryan has a shot to start over Aaron Miles if Izturis doesn't cut it? Ha.

You right Ankiel is clearly a RF, nothing else, except occasional Miles/Spiezio type pitcher. Ankiel should also be hitting 5th behind Glaus, Duncan 2nd in my opinion. Which leaves Izturis/Kennedy/Molina/Pitcher for the last 4 slots, nice.

I hope Barton is our leadoff hitter and opening day CF. But I doubt it, I could see TLR batting Barton 8th and starting Schumaker over him although that would make an all lefty OF.

I want Rasmus to come up as soon as we know he won't be granted this year towards his free agency, and he has to play at least 5 times a week.
mizzoupacers
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12

Post#3 » by mizzoupacers » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:43 pm

bigboy1234 wrote:Way to many words to read in that above post.

Come on now, I give you quality AND quantity, all for the same low price. :)

bigboy1234 wrote:You think Ryan has a shot to start over Aaron Miles if Izturis doesn't cut it? Ha.

Even Tony wouldn't play Miles every day at shortstop. Would he? Please God, no. :pray:

I think Izturis and Kennedy start, Miles is the backup. And Ryan starts too. For Memphis. It ain't right, but that's my hunch as to what will happen.

But I sure hope that if Izturis bombs, Ryan gets the everday job for the Cardinals.

bigboy1234 wrote:Which leaves Izturis/Kennedy/Molina/Pitcher for the last 4 slots, nice.

That's why we're coming in fourth or fifth. Well, that and our starting pitching. Although I actually expect the rotation to be a little better than last year.

bigboy1234 wrote:I want Rasmus to come up as soon as we know he won't be granted this year towards his free agency, and he has to play at least 5 times a week.

Yeah, he definitely has to play every day, wherever he is. But if he's ready, he's ready, and IMO, better not to waste a productive season of his on Memphis if he can be productive in St. Louis. If he reaches the big money a year sooner as a result, then good for him.
chatard5
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#4 » by chatard5 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:31 am

I would like to see Ryan get a lot of PT. After all the news of the HGH with Ankiel, he went down hill. Hopefully he can recover from that and hopefully pitchers don't notice he can pretty much only hit fastballs...

Return to St. Louis Cardinals