ImageImageImageImageImage

PLAYOFFS Game 2 2022 WC: On the brink - Jays v. Marinerds

Moderator: JaysRule15

Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,816

Re: PLAYOFFS Game 2 2022 WC: On the brink - Jays v. Marinerds 

Post#761 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:38 am

s e n s i wrote:jamie campbell is actually great but how tone deaf do you need to be to wear mariners colours on MLB central the day after that debacle. come on brother.

If he's doing it to rub it in to Rogers, I support him.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#762 » by Raps in 4 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 4:56 am

Atkins press conference Tuesday. Prepare for him to say a bunch of nothing and for all the Rogers mouthpieces to ask him nothing.
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#763 » by polo007 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:15 am

Read on Twitter
polo007
General Manager
And1: 2,652

Post#764 » by polo007 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:20 am

Raps in 4 wrote:Atkins press conference Tuesday. Prepare for him to say a bunch of nothing and for all the Rogers mouthpieces to ask him nothing.

Read on Twitter
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach
And1: 7,246

Post#765 » by Madvillainy2004 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:23 pm

Randle McMurphy wrote:
HangTime wrote:After the wild pitch from Mayza, why didn't they put Santana on intentionally?

Probably because they expected Dylan Moore (who mashes LHP) would have just pinch hit for the next guy (Kelenec), which he did anyway after the HR. At least that's what I was thinking at the time, but I suppose I can't guarantee that's what the idiot managing this team on the field was thinking.

The mistake was ultimately bringing Mayza in at all in that spot and expecting anything good to happen against any RHBs. Such a senseless, indefensible move and it cost the Jays their season.

No idea how that's not Cimbers spot if you're gonna take out Gasuman at all(which he shouldn't). Bases loaded ground ball anywhere ends the inning with a force out at every base. And Cimber keeps the ball in the ballpark usually. In fact literally any pitcher save Kikuchi would've been a better person for that spot. Hell bringing in Manoah from the dugout would've been more ideal. We have a pick of our entire bullpen and schiender chooses the worst matchup lol

2 days later and I'm still baffled how a manager could cost a team a 7 run lead but here we are. The most insane thing is I would bet John is somehow back next year too lmao
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach

Post#766 » by Madvillainy2004 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:27 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:Atkins press conference Tuesday. Prepare for him to say a bunch of nothing and for all the Rogers mouthpieces to ask him nothing.

"We had a very successful season we said we would make the playoffs and we did. Ball didn't bounce our way and were confident in this group going forward. John will be back and we'll work on adding talent in the offseason"

I feel like the presser gonna go exactly like this lol
Hottie McShotty
Analyst
And1: 1,893

Post#767 » by Hottie McShotty » Mon Oct 10, 2022 2:40 pm

7+ years and counting. We'll get past the first round eventually. Right Atkins?

What an embarassment..
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,907

Post#768 » by agkagk » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:46 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
agkagk wrote:
s e n s i wrote:schneider's decision to not only pull gausman, but bring in the worst feasible option in that scenario is arguably the most spectacularly horrid decision I've seen from a jays manager in my lifetime. even montoyo doesn't do that for **** sakes.

Schneider literally went out of his way to make every bad decision possible.

Started with rookie manoah getting the game one nod over the veteran Gausman and just compounded from there.

Starting Manoah was fine. He was our best pitcher throughout the season and he deserved it. In fact, that was likely a decision by the FO. He also kept us in the game. A 4-0 deficit isn't insurmountable (as we found out).

But everything that happened yesterday was on Schneider.

Appreciate the logic but respectfully disagree.

Young team that’s never been there before, go with the veteran starter who can provide a calming presence. Also he gives up a lot of soft contact which would help the young players get in a rhythm and calm the nerves.

Castillo was on in game one but you could tell that every blue jay in the on deck circle was going to be hacking at the first pitch.

Doubling down, the veteran catcher Janssen shouldn’t have dh’ed game one either.

This is common sense stuff that any manager should know.
s e n s i
RealGM
And1: 3,565

Post#769 » by s e n s i » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:21 pm

agkagk wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
agkagk wrote:

Schneider literally went out of his way to make every bad decision possible.

Started with rookie manoah getting the game one nod over the veteran Gausman and just compounded from there.

Starting Manoah was fine. He was our best pitcher throughout the season and he deserved it. In fact, that was likely a decision by the FO. He also kept us in the game. A 4-0 deficit isn't insurmountable (as we found out).

Young team that’s never been there before, go with the veteran starter who can provide a calming presence. Also he gives up a lot of soft contact which would help the young players get in a rhythm and calm the nerves.

Castillo was on in game one but you could tell that every blue jay in the on deck circle was going to be hacking at the first pitch.

Doubling down, the veteran catcher Janssen shouldn’t have dh’ed game one either.

not really following here.
- if your argument is that manoah shouldn't have started game 1 and gausman should have started instead, then jansen would have been the starting C anyway, with kirk DH'ing.
- if your argument is that even with manoah starting, that jansen still shouldn't have been the DH and should have been C instead, despite the fact that manoah and kirk have been a battery all year, well that would be the opposite of common sense.
- if your argument is that jansen shouldn't have been in the lineup period, then i'm not sure what to tell you, other than maybe you should have watched more games this season
galacticos2 wrote:MLB needs to introduce an Amnesty clause. Bautista would be my first victim.

Bautista outplays his contract by more than $70 million over the next four seasons (2013-2016).
linery88
Sixth Man
And1: 571

Post#770 » by linery88 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 9:37 pm

Madvillainy2004 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:
HangTime wrote:After the wild pitch from Mayza, why didn't they put Santana on intentionally?

Probably because they expected Dylan Moore (who mashes LHP) would have just pinch hit for the next guy (Kelenec), which he did anyway after the HR. At least that's what I was thinking at the time, but I suppose I can't guarantee that's what the idiot managing this team on the field was thinking.

The mistake was ultimately bringing Mayza in at all in that spot and expecting anything good to happen against any RHBs. Such a senseless, indefensible move and it cost the Jays their season.

No idea how that's not Cimbers spot if you're gonna take out Gasuman at all(which he shouldn't). Bases loaded ground ball anywhere ends the inning with a force out at every base. And Cimber keeps the ball in the ballpark usually. In fact literally any pitcher save Kikuchi would've been a better person for that spot. Hell bringing in Manoah from the dugout would've been more ideal. We have a pick of our entire bullpen and schiender chooses the worst matchup lol

2 days later and I'm still baffled how a manager could cost a team a 7 run lead but here we are. The most insane thing is I would bet John is somehow back next year too lmao

Did 1 person make the decision to remove Gausman or did a bunch of them decide this? I think its possible a bunch of them did,and it was based on Schneiders love of using Mayza,when it is so obvious now that Cimber would have been the best choice to face Santana there.Cimbers way of pitching is tough to handle when he is on.
Whoever/Whatever made that decision knows less than **** about baseball.
SharoneWright
RealGM
And1: 12,521
Location: A low-variance future conducive to raising children

Post#771 » by SharoneWright » Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:30 pm

linery88 wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:
Randle McMurphy wrote:Probably because they expected Dylan Moore (who mashes LHP) would have just pinch hit for the next guy (Kelenec), which he did anyway after the HR. At least that's what I was thinking at the time, but I suppose I can't guarantee that's what the idiot managing this team on the field was thinking.

Did 1 person make the decision to remove Gausman or did a bunch of them decide this? I think its possible a bunch of them did,and it was based on Schneiders love of using Mayza,when it is so obvious now that Cimber would have been the best choice to face Santana there.Cimbers way of pitching is tough to handle when he is on.

In a twist of fate, not bolstering our bullpen even more this year didn't make a lick of difference.

Game 1. We scored 0 runs.

Game 2i) Sticking with Gausman was the right call regardless,, and ii) Schneider opted for his pet lefty out of the pen over a slew of better options anyway.
Is anybody here a marine biologist?
LLJ
RealGM
And1: 17,249

Post#772 » by LLJ » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:28 pm

Hottie McShotty wrote:7+ years and counting. We'll get past the first round eventually. Right Atkins?

What an embarassment..

Baby steps, man. First we have to win a single playoff game! :P
agkagk
Analyst
And1: 1,907

Post#773 » by agkagk » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:31 pm

s e n s i wrote:
agkagk wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:

not really following here.
- if your argument is that manoah shouldn't have started game 1 and gausman should have started instead, then jansen would have been the starting C anyway, with kirk DH'ing.
- if your argument is that even with manoah starting, that jansen still shouldn't have been the DH and should have been C instead, despite the fact that manoah and kirk have been a battery all year, well that would be the opposite of common sense.
- if your argument is that jansen shouldn't have been in the lineup period, then i'm not sure what to tell you, other than maybe you should have watched more games this season

I’m not arguing anything.

I’m stating the manager should have started the veteran pitcher and catcher not the two rookies.

Don’t know why your playing dense to bait me into an argument but good luck with that.
linery88
Sixth Man

Post#774 » by linery88 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:44 pm

SharoneWright wrote:
linery88 wrote:
Madvillainy2004 wrote:

In a twist of fate, not bolstering our bullpen even more this year wouldn't have made a lick of difference.

Game 2i) Sticking with Gausma was the right call regardless,, and ii) Schneider opted for his pet lefty out of the pen over a slew of better options anyway.

This reminds me of when Showalter did not bring in Zach Britton.How much worse was that decision than Mayza ?
I think the entire board was in shock with the Mayza decision,and just hoped it would work.
I think we did bolster our BP,just enough to come close to winning,but the difference between winning/losing going forward,might have obviously been if this BP was used properly by someone with a clue in the first place.Montoya/Schneider clueless,but Schneider is learning,or trying to learn on the job,just like Bo at SS(cringe).
Even at 8-1 Servais was trying to manage the game to win it,and it really showed after the Mayza inning.
One possibly good thing that will come out of this is that Schneider can never put Vladdy in the number 2 slot again.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#775 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:45 am

linery88 wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:
linery88 wrote:

In a twist of fate, not bolstering our bullpen even more this year wouldn't have made a lick of difference.

Game 2i) Sticking with Gausma was the right call regardless,, and ii) Schneider opted for his pet lefty out of the pen over a slew of better options anyway.

This reminds me of when Showalter did not bring in Zach Britton.How much worse was that decision than Mayza ?
I think the entire board was in shock with the Mayza decision,and just hoped it would work.
I think we did bolster our BP,just enough to come close to winning,but the difference between winning/losing going forward,might have obviously been if this BP was used properly by someone with a clue in the first place.Montoya/Schneider clueless,but Schneider is learning,or trying to learn on the job,just like Bo at SS(cringe).
Even at 8-1 Servais was trying to manage the game to win it,and it really showed after the Mayza inning.
One possibly good thing that will come out of this is that Schneider can never put Vladdy in the number 2 slot again.

Schneider isn't learning though. One week earlier he brought Mayza in to face Judge (lol). That ended predictably. So he decided to do it again in a playoff game.

He either has an irrational love affair with Mayza or he has a vendetta against him and wants to see him fail.
linery88
Sixth Man

Post#776 » by linery88 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:16 am

Raps in 4 wrote:
linery88 wrote:
SharoneWright wrote:

Schneider isn't learning though. One week earlier he brought Mayza in to face Judge (lol). That ended predictably. So he decided to do it again in a playoff game.

He either has an irrational love affair with Mayza or he has a vendetta against him and wants to see him fail.

Or,he thought he could get away with it.lol.
So he has not learned yet that you put in a lefty pitcher so he can face lefty batters.LOL
Replace him with someone who has MLB experience while we have this window.I,m not into having him learn on the job anymore while we are trying to win games,or Bo learning SS over a superior defender in Espinal.What a **** show.
If Schneider cant be trusted to make the right moves he should go,or we are again forced to predict or second guess the results of all of his moves.
Mayza must feel like a pinata because of Schneider.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#777 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:11 pm

- Springer has a concussion and shoulder sprain.

- "I find it hard to believe we could find a better option than Schneider". Atkins has no idea what to look for in a successful baseball manager.

- This one woman ripped into him asking why nobody took accountability for the loss. We need more of that from our journalists. Of course, Ross took no accountability himself.

- "I'm confident we can develop internally". Code for "prepare for minimal changes in the off-season".

- Someone asks him if he'd consider trading any pieces of the core. He responds with a firm "no chance".

- "It's not just pitching that gets you to the WS". That's rich, considering the season we just had.

- Someone asks "why hasn't the team done a better job developing relievers?" Atkins proceeds to give a BS non-answer.

Useless press conference, but that was to be expected. Atkins does not inspire any confidence.
Madvillainy2004
Head Coach

Post#778 » by Madvillainy2004 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:14 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:- Springer has a concussion and shoulder sprain.

- "I find it hard to believe we could find a better option than Schneider". Atkins has no idea what to look for in a successful baseball manager.

- This one woman ripped into him asking why nobody took accountability for the loss. We need more of that from our journalists. Of course, Ross took no accountability himself.

- "I'm confident we can develop internally". Code for "prepare for minimal changes in the off-season".

- Someone asks him if he'd consider trading any pieces of the core. He responds with a firm "no chance".

- "It's not just pitching that gets you to the WS". That's rich, considering the season we just had.

- Someone asks "why hasn't the team done a better job developing relievers?" Atkins proceeds to give a BS non-answer.

Useless press conference, but that was to be expected. Atkins does not inspire any confidence.

Lmao it's not just pitching but it's definitely a part of it. Especially considering we missed the playoffs on 2021 because of our inconsistent starters and bad bullpen lol. Idk man what's his track record for success that I gotta trust this guy to build a contender?
Randle McMurphy
RealGM
And1: 19,421

Post#779 » by Randle McMurphy » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:06 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:- Springer has a concussion and shoulder sprain.

Glad you did this summary because there was no way I was going to actually watch Ross Atkins say nothing for an hour as usual.
One flew east, one flew west, one flew over the cuckoo’s nest.
WuTang_OG
RealGM
And1: 43,708

Post#780 » by WuTang_OG » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:08 pm

only highlight from off-season will be the reno of that concrete box (finally)

shatkins gotta improve that bullpen from top to bottom. You need top end velocity guys. Just look what seattle did.

Move Bo to second. Sign a stud short stop.

Return to Toronto Blue Jays