CF. Bernadina
SS. Desmond
3B. Zimmerman
1B. LaRoche
RF. Werth
LF. Morse
C. Rodriguez
2B. Espinosa

Alberto Gonzalez, Wilson Ramos, two platoon guys above, and perhaps Matt Stairs would comprise the bench. Perhaps also Justin Maxwell, as it would be nice to get his right-handed bat in the lineup as Ankiel and Morgan usually can't hit lefties.

I tend to agree with the general premise. I agree with batting Desmond second, and so prefer LaRoche as a left-handed separation between Zimmy and Werth. I think Bernadina will see plenty of time in left, as the Nats want to see if he can win that position long term. Michael Morse will also see more time than just against lefties as well.
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,820

Re: Nats projected lineup for 2011 

Post#2 » by Rafael122 » Sun Jan 9, 2011 6:29 pm

Morse is a sleeper. If he can get enough at bats, he could be a good player. He was raking it this past year.
Bickerstaff: who's up for kickball?!!
Ed Wood: Only if it's the no-pants variety.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Re: Nats projected lineup for 2011 

Post#3 » by Jollay » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:45 pm

Sure enough, Raf, Morse has won a full-time job in left field. I like this because I like the guy and also my tickets are in left field. He'll respond to us more than Bernadina...

Anyway, I like that, but it does leave the Nats without right-handed pop off the bench. Now the competition is in center between Morgan, Bernadina, and Ankiel, but expect Morgan to still win-out.

Adam Kilgore's guess as the roster...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nat ... _blog.html
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: Nats projected lineup for 2011/Morse wins LF 

Post#4 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:30 pm

We still have a hole at center though. Morgan doesn't do enough to get on base, IMO. Plus I still get the hot head vibe from him.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by Jollay » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:39 pm

Interesting rumblings that Morgan AND Bernadina might be sent down. I'll believe it when it happens.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by Jollay » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:35 am

Adam Kilgore of the Post is claiming the Nats have settled on Ankiel as the starting center fielder.

Real dubious but it'll be fun watching his arm in center at least.

The question would be, what to do with Nyjer Morgan? The Nats do not have a true leadoff man without him in center, although some would argue he can't get on base enough to fill that spot anyway.

If Ankiel starts, barring a trade one might think the Nats go with Matt Stairs, Laynce Nix, Wilson Ramos, Jerry Hairston, and Alberto Gonzalez, which would support Morgan and Bernadina being sent down.

If anyone is traded it will be Morgan or Gonzalez, I imagine.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Nats projected lineup for 2011/Morgan traded 

Post#7 » by Jollay » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:22 pm

So Morgan is dealt to the Brewers. Very sorry to see him go, but I think it's the right thing to do. Nats got a fairly solid prospect in Dykstra, although hardly a spectacular one.

So now everything is fairly settled, with Ankiel the regular center fielder.

I assume Desmond will now lead off, perhaps with Ankiel batting second. Dubious. Best case scenerio is Espinosa hits enough to go from #7 to #2 in the order.

Dykstra, Eury Perez, Bryce Harper outfield in 2014? Destin Hood?
Rafael122
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by Rafael122 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:51 pm

Werth is batting second it looks like. Not a fan of the Morgan trade, indifferent would best describe it. Lateral move.

BTW, LaRoche has a slight tear in his rotator cuff....not good, I wonder how this affects his swing.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by Jollay » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:03 pm

Rafael122 wrote:Werth is batting second it looks like. Not a fan of the Morgan trade, indifferent would best describe it. Lateral move.

BTW, LaRoche has a slight tear in his rotator cuff....not good, I wonder how this affects his swing.

LaRoche going down for any significant amount of time would really hurt. I assume in that scenerio Morse would move to first with Stairs getting a little time there as well.

Nats seem to like Alex Cora to make the squad, thus making a trade of Alberto likely. Nats assistant GM Scott Boras would have to give his okay I guess.

So, if they go with Werth second and LaRoche is healthy...

SS. Desmond
RF. Werth
3B. Zimmerman
1B. LaRoche
LF. Morse
CF. Ankiel
2B. Espinosa
C. Rodriguez

Makes sense I guess.

I did hear on the radio yesterday that Ramos might bat up slightly further in the lineup versus lefties as well....

Return to Washington Nationals