Why do the NFL boards have a fraction of the volume of posts of the NBA boards?

Moderator: bwgood77

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,374

Why do the NFL boards have a fraction of the volume of posts of the NBA boards? 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:25 pm

Are NBA fans on RealGM just more chatty?

Does the bigger social media following of the NBA drive more posting activity?

Is RealGM an outlier?
AirInTheLoop
Pro Prospect
And1: 261

Re: Why do the NFL boards have a fraction of the volume of posts of the NBA boards? 

Post#2 » by AirInTheLoop » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:03 am

I could be wrong on this but i think RealGM started off as an NBA site and that is where all their efforts have gone.
Tussin33
Sophomore
And1: 38

Re: Why do the NFL boards have a fraction of the volume of posts of the NBA boards? 

Post#3 » by Tussin33 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:39 am

nah Real GM is basketball country. The real GM news wire for NBA is relevant. the NFL is always some old stuff I heard a week ago.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,513

Post#4 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:13 am

I blame the absence of Ernie.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,813

Post#5 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:32 am

LOOOL!
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,380

Post#6 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:06 pm

If I posted my true feelings on the matter I would most likely get suspended for a few days, so I'll refrain.
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,209

Post#7 » by therealbig3 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:20 pm

It's primarily a basketball forum, a lot of fans actually post about all their sports teams on their basketball team's forum given that they're all from the same city/state.

Also, RealGM has a large Canadian fanbase, and football isn't as popular there as it is in the US, so it's not going to be a major talking point for many of them.
2018C3
Pro Prospect
And1: 539

Post#8 » by 2018C3 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:39 pm

AirInTheLoop wrote:I could be wrong on this but I think RealGM started off as an NBA site and that is where all their efforts have gone.

Correct, it started as a NBA Fan site. When I first started following the current Bulls forum. "if I remember correctly it was not even part of realgm yet and I believe the access site went by another name". Over the years I have taken several breaks from actively posting, but the site has been a solid source of NBA Information for close to 20 years now.

I may not be remembering all the details correctly but I think several nba boards may have got incorporated into realgm to allow fans to come to one place. Over the years other sports were added. The NFL Section of this site has always been slower then the NBA Chat.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,772

Post#9 » by bwgood77 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:01 am

wco81 wrote:Are NBA fans on RealGM just more chatty?

Does the bigger social media following of the NBA drive more posting activity?

Is RealGM an outlier?

RealGM is mostly a basketball site with tools created for actual real GMs. And most of the users here are die hard NBA fans. But I am still shocked that there are not more fans of the NFL among these forums that might want to discuss football.

I tried building it a little bit....kind of tough..had to put links in sig and stuff.

But I know there are tons of NFL fans here.

I guess one think I will say is that team boards...the active NBA ones have communities, and many of those discuss their NFL team on those forums. But those threads are still not usually that active.

The Bucks forum is run well and is very active and it carries over to the Packers forum.

So since the NFL team forums are so dead, the users who post mostly only in their team forums (the vast majority of users)...I know the GB seems busy but if you added up all users on all team forums who posts regularly it would dwarf the GB.

So of GB posters, most of those are probably more of the die hard NBA, follow all teams variety, many of various teams who may post on their team forums, but some who post mostly or mainly on the GB. Those users are so addicted to the NBA GB they are unlikely to post here.

There are also very large NFL forums in different places. I know there is an enormous Chargers forum and they probably have one of the smallest fanbases in the league.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,472

Post#10 » by CBS7 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:01 pm

Realgm definitely started as a nba forum. The football forum was added years later.

This forum used to be a bit more lively. Still nowhere near the basketball forums, but in recent weeks we haven't even reached a second page in the weekly discussion thread. I remember the years of pick em and the prize pool we did a couple years.

I dunno, its a bit of a downward spiral too. If you don't have a ton of activity, people find other places to post, which leads to further inactivity, and so forth. I've been using Reddit for my nfl needs, but the quality of posts there is pretty much garbage. 50% spamming the same memes, 40% hot takes, 10% good content.

I do wish this forum was more lively.
bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,772

Post#11 » by bwgood77 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:32 am

CBS7 wrote:Realgm definitely started as a nba forum. The football forum was added years later.

This forum used to be a bit more lively. Still nowhere near the basketball forums, but in recent weeks we haven't even reached a second page in the weekly discussion thread. I remember the years of pick em and the prize pool we did a couple years.

I dunno, its a bit of a downward spiral too. If you don't have a ton of activity, people find other places to post, which leads to further inactivity, and so forth. I've been using Reddit for my nfl needs, but the quality of posts there is pretty much garbage. 50% spamming the same memes, 40% hot takes, 10% good content.

I do wish this forum was more lively.

We still do pickem, but it was being manually graded here, so we moved it to espn and added spreads...so the scores are there.

It was even more busy the last few years, but I was more actively trying to build activity than this year. Not sure why exactly the game week threads died so much though given it was usually the same group of posters in them.
wco81
RealGM

Post#12 » by wco81 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:59 am

TBH, I find myself more interested in the NBA than the NFL these days.

I'll watch the random NBA game on NBA TV or TNT than MNF or SNF or the non-market games where I live.

But I know that's not typical, NFL games get much higher ratings on average.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#13 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Dec 11, 2018 3:40 am

wco81 wrote:TBH, I find myself more interested in the NBA than the NFL these days.

I'll watch the random NBA game on NBA TV or TNT than MNF or SNF or the non-market games where I live.

Niner fan? I don't blame ya! :wink:
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#14 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:12 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
wco81 wrote:TBH, I find myself more interested in the NBA than the NFL these days.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That's why we always called them the 49 whiners !!!
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#15 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:32 am

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That's why we always called them the 49 whiners !!!

Or just "Whiners" for short. :wink:

Honestly, during the football season, I could care less about basketball or the NBA in general. I don't start watching basketball til March. Maybe that's partly due to Seattle not having an NBA team. Along with a meaningless 82 game regular season. But, Football is still far & away my favorite sport & I'd choose to watch it over pretty much anything.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#16 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:19 pm

I agree. But apparently RealGM and the mods could careless if the football forum grows. In the 4 years I have been here the football forum hasn't grown a bit. Year 4 is the deadest its ever been. Ratings, interest, etc., for football is through the roof except here and the West coast. I guess when fans from the west coast when they eventually do go to the game, they better bring their knitting.
CBS7
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,472

Post#17 » by CBS7 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:26 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:I agree. But apparently RealGM and the mods could careless if the football forum grows. In the 4 years I have been here the football forum hasn't grown a bit. Year 4 is the deadest its ever been. Ratings, interest, etc., for football is through the roof except here and the West coast. I guess when fans from the west coast when they eventually do go to the game, they better bring their knitting.

I used to mod the Bears forum and put some effort into game threads every week but nothing really changed. We only have so much control over who posts here.

I dunno, its not even for lack of interest on the basketball side. Bears related posts on the Bulls forum get tons of hits/posts but die when they are moved to the Bears forum.

Edit: I somewhat take that back. The Bears' season opener in the 2007 season had a 27 page game thread! Now we get 2-3 page threads. It could be because we were coming off a Super Bowl loss then, and now we've sucked for the past 8 years.

Doesn't explain the lack of General NFL board activity though.
wco81
RealGM

Post#18 » by wco81 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:48 am

The baseball forums are dead too.

Haven't looked at the hockey or soccer forums.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#19 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:56 am

wco81 wrote:The baseball forums are dead too.

Haven't looked at the hockey or soccer forums.

The General Soccer Forum can be hit or miss at times (Much like this one). But, it's still a solid group. You should definitely check it out. Are you a Soccer (Football) fan?
wco81
RealGM

Post#20 » by wco81 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:14 am

Yeah I watch some matches, here and there, EPL on weekends and some CL matches.

Local sportsnet used to air a weekly show about AS Roma but they stopped this year unfortunately.

Return to The General NFL Board