Moderator: bwgood77

DOT
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 48,739

Sean Payton to Denver 

Post#1 » by DOT » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:30 pm

Read on Twitter

Broncos are in desperation mode. Hear it's a 1st rounder, rather, pick 30 this year

Can't imagine trading a 1st for a coach.
BaF Lakers:

Darius Garland/Cory Joseph
Klay Thompson/Shaedon Sharpe
Keldon Johnson/De'Andre Hunter
Evan Mobley/Tari Eason
Nic Claxton/Draymond Green

Bench: Leonard Miller, Jett Howard, Markquis Nowell, Kennedy Chandler, Day'Ron Sharpe
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,513

Re: Sean Payton to Denver 

Post#2 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:40 pm

Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#3 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:52 pm

Read on Twitter
Dr Positivity
RealGM
And1: 15,592

Post#4 » by Dr Positivity » Wed Feb 1, 2023 4:39 am

If that was the best Payton can do I would have waited a year
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,626

Post#5 » by Worm Guts » Wed Feb 1, 2023 5:24 am

You’d think Denver could get a better deal for a guy who wasn’t actually coaching. New Orleans wouldn’t take a third rounder for someone who has no impact on their team?
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#6 » by El Turco » Wed Feb 1, 2023 5:28 pm

Worm Guts wrote:You’d think Denver could get a better deal for a guy who wasn’t actually coaching. New Orleans wouldn’t take a third rounder for someone who has no impact on their team?

my impression is he has been working with benson and loomis to get a decent compensation for the saints, he still seems to have really good relationship with saints management.

i think he'll do well, wilson was already turning it around after hackett got fired and payton needs to make him only an average starter to make the playoffs anyway.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
El Turco

Post#7 » by El Turco » Wed Feb 1, 2023 5:29 pm

Dr Positivity wrote:If that was the best Payton can do I would have waited a year

walmart money has spoken

azcatz11
RealGM
And1: 27,568

Post#8 » by azcatz11 » Fri Feb 3, 2023 3:16 am

Can someone explain to me why he didn’t just go back to New Orleans? They didn’t wanna pay him?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#9 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Feb 3, 2023 3:24 am

azcatz11 wrote:Can someone explain to me why he didn’t just go back to New Orleans? They didn’t wanna pay him?

No QB. Bad cap situation. Not a ton of promise. They're kind of looking at a lengthy rebuild unless they hit on a QB.
Worm Guts
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
Forum Mod - Timberwolves
And1: 10,626

Post#10 » by Worm Guts » Fri Feb 3, 2023 1:04 pm

azcatz11 wrote:Can someone explain to me why he didn’t just go back to New Orleans? They didn’t wanna pay him?

Dennis Allen was his defensive coordinator for like 7 seasons, I would guess he doesn't necessarily want to take his opportunity. It's also possible he just wants a different challenge.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#11 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:12 pm

Read on Twitter
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,378

Post#12 » by bluejerseyjinx » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:53 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

I can't help wonder if there is more to this story. I don't ever recall Payton ever blasting another coach or any coach for that matter. So unlike him. Not saying that everything he is saying here isn't true, but still unlike him. I'll stay tuned.
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,217

Post#13 » by Micah Prescott » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:33 pm

I know it's still very early, but what a doozy of a start for Payton.

Did he get overrated?

As a Cowboys fan, I wanted him here badly. And when rumors were flying around about him coming to Dallas there were comparisons to McCarthy. Many don't know this but McCarthy actually has more playoff success than Payton does.

When someone points out that McCarthy has a ring, that person is usually shut down with "He had Rodgers!"

It's true...McCarthy had Rodgers, a HOF QB

But Payton had Brees...arguably a better QB than Rodgers ever was (IMO Brees > Rodgers)

So why did Payton get SOOOOO much more respect than McCarthy? Both won with a HOF QB, and McCarthy did more winning. But you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks McCarthy is the better coach.

Again, did we all overrate Sean Payton? Was he put too high on a pedestal?
El Turco

Post#14 » by El Turco » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:05 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:I know it's still very early, but what a doozy of a start for Payton.

Did he get overrated?

As a Cowboys fan, I wanted him here badly. And when rumors were flying around about him coming to Dallas there were comparisons to McCarthy. Many don't know this but McCarthy actually has more playoff success than Payton does.

When someone points out that McCarthy has a ring, that person is usually shut down with "He had Rodgers!"

But Payton had Brees...arguably a better QB than Rodgers ever was (IMO Brees > Rodgers)

So why did Payton get SOOOOO much more respect than McCarthy? Both won with a HOF QB, and McCarthy did more winning. But you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who thinks McCarthy is the better coach.

I think people put him on such a high pedestal because Saints were such a dumpster fire before he got there. Turning the Saints into a Super Bowl contender for the better part of two decades is something even Saints fans wouldn't have dreamed of. Maybe Brees was the main reason but still can't be easy running that ship. In contrast, McCarthy won with a team that has been winning for three decades so winning Super Bowls was more or less expected from him. That's why McCarthy got criticized for only winning one Super Bowl with a Hall of Fame quarterback while nobody criticizes Payton for only winning one.

There was also Katrina, keeping the team together and winning the Super Bowl soon made him look invincible in New Orleans. Maybe if we remove all that aura and great quarterback play he is not as good as most people think, but it is too early to say.

Although I still can't wrap my mind around how last year's great defense became such a crapshow in one offseason

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#15 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:43 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:I know it's still very early, but what a doozy of a start for Payton.

Did he get overrated?

They went 3 years (2014-16) going 7-9. That was with Drew Brees. They had a great draft in 2017 (lattimore, Kamara, Ramczyk) that gave them a boost for a few years. But otherwise they underachieved with only 1 SB. Considering they had a HOF QB during that time.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,358

Post#16 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 7:36 pm

He sure is eating a lot of crow now.

But he's got a huge salary to make it palatable.

Denver could end up in the sweepstakes for the top pick but can they pay Wilson so much just to sit on the bench?

They will have to hit some mid round picks to build up the roster until they get Wilson's contract off the books. I don't know how great Payton's drafting record was in New Orleans. Obviously they built Super Bowl rosters but the big one was Brees, who came in as a free agent.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#17 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Oct 9, 2023 9:17 pm

wco81 wrote:He sure is eating a lot of crow now.

But he's got a huge salary to make it palatable.

Denver could end up in the sweepstakes for the top pick but can they pay Wilson so much just to sit on the bench?

They will have to hit some mid round picks to build up the roster until they get Wilson's contract off the books. I don't know how great Payton's drafting record was in New Orleans. Obviously they built Super Bowl rosters but the big one was Brees, who came in as a free agent.

Denver has the same issues now with Wilson that he had the last few years in Seattle. A roster that just isn't all that good. While his play hasn't been good enough to overcome the deficiencies. The defense has bottomed out. He also doesn't have the playmakers that he had in Seattle. Metcalf & Lockett are superior to Jeudy & Sutton.

The contract extension that he signed hasn't even kicked in yet (2024). I think he realistically has one more year in Denver. His cap number takes a big jump in 2025. The team will have to make a decision by then.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,358

Post#18 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 9, 2023 9:42 pm

He has over $150 million in guaranteed money so what can the team do.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#19 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Oct 9, 2023 9:50 pm

wco81 wrote:He has over $150 million in guaranteed money so what can the team do.

If the team decides to move on next offseason (2024) they are on the hook for $85m in guaranteed money. Which they can split up over two years. But this money would still count against their cap.

In 2025, that number drops to $50m (dead cap). But it's also worth noting that his cap number also balloons from $35m to $55m.

So when you break it down, it would seem that 2025 is when the team would decide to pull the trigger.
GeorgeSears
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,724

Post#20 » by GeorgeSears » Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:01 am

If he doesn't turn it around, his legacy is ruined.

He inherited a team with a QB that's borderline HOF and in his early 30s. I personally don't think Wilson is a HOFer, but he's certainly in the discussion. This should've worked. Wilson has played better than last season, but everything else has also fallen apart. To start out 1-4 is just embarrassing. Losing by 50 to the Dolphins, blowing a 20 point lead vs. Washington, losing to the Jets at home. It's turning into the worst season in franchise history, and this franchise has had plenty of those.

Return to The General NFL Board