DPOY Finalist

Moderator: bwgood77

Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,171

DPOY Finalist 

Post#1 » by Mr B » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:10 pm

Here are your finalist for Defensive Player of the Year.
QB_Eagles
Rookie
And1: 333

Re: DPOY Finalist 

Post#2 » by QB_Eagles » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:23 pm

I think Trevor Lawrence got the Best Hair award in the bag.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,213

Post#3 » by RaoulDuke79 » Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:00 pm

QB_Eagles wrote:I think Trevor Lawrence got the Best Hair award in the bag.

Generational hair. He's an all-time legendary hair swishing talent.

As far as this list, Myles is pretty good too when he's not matched up against Tunsil.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#4 » by El Turco » Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:57 pm

Yeah give me Garrett easy
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
GoRapstheoriginal
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,813

Post#5 » by GoRapstheoriginal » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:51 am

Crosby :\
Mr B
RealGM

Post#6 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:23 am

Of the group it seems that what Bland accomplished this season was rarer than what any of the other guys on the list did. Watt had 19 sacks, how often do we see that happen? Bland had 9 picks with 5 pick six’s. How often do we see that?
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,217

Post#7 » by Micah Prescott » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:16 am

Bland scored 5TDs

No amount of sacks can equate to that.

Justin Jefferson scored 5 TDs this season.

It will be a travesty if Bland doesn't win
QB_Eagles
Rookie

Post#8 » by QB_Eagles » Sat Jan 27, 2024 2:57 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:Bland scored 5TDs

But Myles Garrett and TJ Watt helped their QBs win more.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,379

Post#9 » by bluejerseyjinx » Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:04 pm

Mr B wrote:Of the group it seems that what Bland accomplished this season was rarer than what any of the other guys on the list did. Watt had 19 sacks, how often do we see that happen? Bland had 9 picks with 5 pick six’s. How often do we see that?

Totally agree here !!!! :nod:
Mr B
RealGM

Post#10 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:00 pm

QB_Eagles wrote:

DPOY is a regular season award right? So technically Bland helped Dak win more since the Cowboys finished with a better record than Garrett or Watt.
El Turco

Post#11 » by El Turco » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:36 pm

Getting pick-sixes doesn't really impress me for a defensive back. Generally teams don't throw to cornerbacks who are lockdown corners, therefore I am always skeptical of cornerbacks who get a lot of interceptions, as it might mean they are gambling too much on defense. Bland might be like Diggs a couple of years ago, he might have given up more yards than he picked because he was always gambling. I haven't looked at his metrics, but I haven't heard many people call him a lockdown corner either.

Plus if you have two players in DPOY race you better have a historically good defense which wasnt the case.

QB_Eagles
Rookie

Post#12 » by QB_Eagles » Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:41 pm

Mr B wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:

DPOY is a regular season award right? So technically Bland helped Dak win more since the Cowboys finished with a better record than Garrett or Watt.

But I thought the Cowboys defense didn't help Dak enough. That can't be said for the Browns and Steelers QBs -- they've had multiple each and still made the playoffs!
Mr B
RealGM

Post#13 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:22 pm

El Turco wrote:Getting pick-sixes doesn't really impress me for a defensive back. Generally teams don't throw to cornerbacks who are lockdown corners, therefore I am always skeptical of cornerbacks who get a lot of interceptions, as it might mean they are gambling too much on defense. Bland might be like Diggs a couple of years ago, he might have given up more yards than he picked because he was always gambling. I haven't looked at his metrics, but I haven't heard many people call him a lockdown corner either.

Plus if you have two players in DPOY race you better have a historically good defense which wasnt the case.

They may not impress you but they do impress the NFL. Out of all these guys Bland is the only one that set an NFL record.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#14 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:26 pm

QB_Eagles wrote:
Mr B wrote:
QB_Eagles wrote:But Myles Garrett and TJ Watt helped their QBs win more.

But I thought the Cowboys defense didn't help Dak enough. That can't be said for the Browns and Steelers QBs -- they've had multiple each and still made the playoffs!

It’s a good thing the award isn’t called Defensive Team of the Year Award.
El Turco

Post#15 » by El Turco » Sat Jan 27, 2024 9:55 pm

Mr B wrote:
El Turco wrote:Getting pick-sixes doesn't really impress me for a defensive back. Generally teams don't throw to cornerbacks who are lockdown corners, therefore I am always skeptical of cornerbacks who get a lot of interceptions, as it might mean they are gambling too much on defense. Bland might be like Diggs a couple of years ago, he might have given up more yards than he picked because he was always gambling. I haven't looked at his metrics, but I haven't heard many people call him a lockdown corner either.

They may not impress you but they do impress the NFL. Out of all these guys Bland is the only one that set an NFL record.

Obviously he is not impressing the NFL that much either lol considering he has the worst odds to win the award among the finalists. Setting an NFL record doesnt give you an award.

Mr B
RealGM

Post#16 » by Mr B » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:29 pm

El Turco wrote:
Mr B wrote:

Obviously he is not impressing the NFL that much either lol considering he has the worst odds to win the award among the finalists. Setting an NFL record doesnt give you an award.

You’re probably right. No one thinks breaking an all time defensive record a big deal. I’m surprised it’s even being brought up.

El Turco

Post#17 » by El Turco » Sat Jan 27, 2024 10:56 pm

thread is about the DPOY, "things that I think are a big deal" thread is thattaway pal ---->

hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,589

Post#18 » by hermes » Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:13 pm

danielle hunter
Mariner
Senior
And1: 108

Post#19 » by Mariner » Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:24 am

Mr B wrote:
El Turco wrote:
Mr B wrote:They may not impress you but they do impress the NFL. Out of all these guys Bland is the only one that set an NFL record.

You’re probably right. No one thinks breaking an all time defensive record a big deal. I’m surprised it’s even being brought up.

Not saying I believe in it but there was this new metric trying to show that a pick 6 has the same value as 5 sacks. Not sure how you would quantify that but thought it was interesting.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#20 » by Mr B » Sun Jan 28, 2024 3:33 am

Mariner wrote:
Mr B wrote:
El Turco wrote:

Not saying I believe in it but there was this new metric trying to show that a pick 6 has the same value as 5 sacks. Not sure how you would quantify that but thought it was interesting.

One puts points on the board and one doesn’t. Makes sense that a pick 6 would be more valuable than 1 sack.

Return to The General NFL Board