The Matt Schaub continuation thread

Moderator: bwgood77

HTown34s
Senior
And1: 0

The Matt Schaub continuation thread 

Post#1 » by HTown34s » Tue Apr 3, 2007 5:16 pm

Once again I feel compelled to give another lecture concerning the Texans and their quote & quote BAD MANAGEMENT. There are several misconceptions propagated by the likes of ESPN and other
Coxtradaumus
Ballboy

Post#2 » by Coxtradaumus » Tue Apr 3, 2007 5:31 pm

So whats up with Domanick Williams?
I heard they released him, is his career finished or what?
Dude's only what? 26?
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#3 » by J.Kim » Tue Apr 3, 2007 5:37 pm

While I agree with most of your points, I have to pick at this one:

The second reason is this: Kubiak played as a backup to John Elway and was a Quarterbacks Coach for Denver. He knows QBs very well, and if he wasn't satisfied with Carr's mechanics, there was simply no way he would be able to live with the --poor mechanics of Young's throwing motion. Kubiak wants a traditional QB to lead this offense. Runningbacks are for rushing, and the system in place all but insures we have a productive running game.

Especially the "poor mechanics" part. Everyone knows he has an irregular throwing motion, but to say that it's a poor throwing motion is a bit of an oversight on your part.

His release point may be low in relative to other Quarterbacks, but he is 6'5", and his release point is around 2" above his head, meaning that his release point is around 6'7". He is around 2-3" above the prototypical Quarterback height, and hence, his height makes up for his lower than average release point.

As for his actual throwing motion itself, it may look awkward, but his set point to release point with the football, is pretty quick, and I'd say quicker than a lot of Quarterbacks in the league. You may look at his entire throwing motion and say that its slow, but that is mostly because of his follow through. Compared to other throwing motions that I've seen, his follow through is longer than average, hence giving the appearance of a long throwing motion, when in reality, his set point to release point is pretty quick.
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#4 » by treiz » Tue Apr 3, 2007 5:59 pm

:rofl: Domanick Williams

Besides that I agree with everything else....
HTown34s
Senior

Post#5 » by HTown34s » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:38 pm

J.Kim wrote:While I agree with most of your points, I have to pick at this one:

The second reason is this: Kubiak played as a backup to John Elway and was a Quarterbacks Coach for Denver. He knows QBs very well, and if he wasn't satisfied with Carr's mechanics, there was simply no way he would be able to live with the --poor mechanics of Young's throwing motion. Kubiak wants a traditional QB to lead this offense. Runningbacks are for rushing, and the system in place all but insures we have a productive running game.

Especially the "poor mechanics" part. Everyone knows he has an irregular throwing motion, but to say that it's a poor throwing motion is a bit of an oversight on your part.

His release point may be low in relative to other Quarterbacks, but he is 6'5", and his release point is around 2" above his head, meaning that his release point is around 6'7". He is around 2-3" above the prototypical Quarterback height, and hence, his height makes up for his lower than average release point.

As for his actual throwing motion itself, it may look awkward, but his set point to release point with the football, is pretty quick, and I'd say quicker than a lot of Quarterbacks in the league. You may look at his entire throwing motion and say that its slow, but that is mostly because of his follow through. Compared to other throwing motions that I've seen, his follow through is longer than average, hence giving the appearance of a long throwing motion, when in reality, his set point to release point is pretty quick.

I beg to differ, I think his release point is more or less parallel to his neck and you can
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,192
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#6 » by NO-KG-AI » Tue Apr 3, 2007 6:47 pm

BTW look at Reggie's last 8 games, if you want to get a feel for how good he will be next year.

He started off horrible, his last 8 are a true measure of how he has developed.

As for Vince's throwing motion, I think were me and very few others who weren't worried about it.

He gets the ball out really quick, and the ball is about at eye level.

I have never seen it cause any problems for him.

BTW playing at 6'2 and under isn't a bad thing anyway ask Drew Brees.

Vince can move around, so finding throwing lanes, or throwing right over the top isn't really a problem.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by J.Kim » Tue Apr 3, 2007 7:04 pm

HTown34s wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I beg to differ, I think his release point is more or less parallel to his neck and you can
HTown34s
Senior

Post#8 » by HTown34s » Tue Apr 3, 2007 8:38 pm

Well i can't pull up vids at work, but i only guess'timated'. I still think with a more standard release he could be that much more efficient.
UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#9 » by UrbanLegendMD » Wed Apr 4, 2007 2:06 am

When did Davis change his name?
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.
Fatty
Head Coach

Post#10 » by Fatty » Wed Apr 4, 2007 3:03 am

Good post agree with a lot of what you said.
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#11 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Wed Apr 4, 2007 9:57 am

Mario Williams was the right choice.

Fairly new franchise should start with Defense. Mario Williams was a freak like Julious Peppers.

So 6 sacks for a rookie first overall is bad rihgt? well lets start wiht would youlike to tell me who even helpde him on that line. To get six sack the way he had t0o would be incredibly hard.

Once they are ready WIlliams will be a beast.

Regie Bush was a game changer yes but he is not a great running back just mroe a dual threat. Micheal Vick and Regie Bush are simialar. Would revolutionize the position but is worse at the position they are playign tehn what there other skill is.

Vince young would have made to be a great pcik but he would not have been a good QB in Houston becasue of tehre offensive line or what they believe is an offensive line.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Apr 4, 2007 10:08 am

Bush's last 8 games....

74 rushes 358 yards, 4.83 YPC 6 TD's

42 catches 430 YPC 10.2 YPC 2 TD's

not bad for a 21 year old back up running back, who everyone was calling a bust after his first 8 games.....

he had a difficult transition, and he broke through it.

If you watch a Saints game, most of those catches are basically running plays......
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by J.Kim » Wed Apr 4, 2007 1:19 pm

The_Child_Prodigy wrote:Mario Williams was the right choice.

Fairly new franchise should start with Defense. Mario Williams was a freak like Julious Peppers.

So 6 sacks for a rookie first overall is bad rihgt? well lets start wiht would youlike to tell me who even helpde him on that line. To get six sack the way he had t0o would be incredibly hard.

Once they are ready WIlliams will be a beast.

Regie Bush was a game changer yes but he is not a great running back just mroe a dual threat. Micheal Vick and Regie Bush are simialar. Would revolutionize the position but is worse at the position they are playign tehn what there other skill is.

Vince young would have made to be a great pcik but he would not have been a good QB in Houston becasue of tehre offensive line or what they believe is an offensive line.

Actually, 6 Sacks for a Rookie DE is pretty good. Considering it takes most defensive linement 2-3 years to adjust and to play at a peak level, and considering that 10+ Sacks for a rookie DE is uncommon, Mario Williams put up pretty good Sack #s.
treiz
RealGM
And1: 564

Post#14 » by treiz » Wed Apr 4, 2007 9:16 pm

Vince Young actually has a very good release, when people say it's around 6"2, it actually varies between his forehead and his top lip depending on how deep he has to throw the ball....he also has a very nice zip for a side-arm.....overall I'm very impressed by Vince Young's rookie career as he's shown that he can look through his progressions, has nice accuracy, zip, and he's very patient.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Apr 4, 2007 9:40 pm

J.Kim wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Actually, 6 Sacks for a Rookie DE is pretty good. Considering it takes most defensive linement 2-3 years to adjust and to play at a peak level, and considering that 10+ Sacks for a rookie DE is uncommon, Mario Williams put up pretty good Sack #s.

I'm not sold on that, its ok but certainly I would expect more.

I'll go by our recent D-End picks as rookies.

Darren Howard- 11 sacks, 2nd round pick
Charles Grant- late first round(26th?) 7 sacks
Will Smith- Late First round(19th?) 7.5 sacks as a backup

Again, Mario's numbers weren't bad, but for a 1st pick, in 1 of the best drafts you will see, I would expect more, but their are a lot of other factors like how bad the rest of the line sucks.
HTown34s
Senior

Post#16 » by HTown34s » Wed Apr 4, 2007 9:44 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I'm not sold on that, its ok but certainly I would expect more.

I'll go by our recent D-End picks as rookies.

Darren Howard- 11 sacks, 2nd round pick
Charles Grant- late first round(26th?) 7 sacks
Will Smith- Late First round(19th?) 7.5 sacks as a backup

Again, Mario's numbers weren't bad, but for a 1st pick, in 1 of the best drafts you will see, I would expect more, but their are a lot of other factors like how bad the rest of the line sucks.

don't forget that he played half the season on 1 good foot.
[Insert witty comment here]
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Apr 4, 2007 9:46 pm

HTown34s wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

don't forget that he played half the season on 1 good foot.

Good point, was that hidden from the media like Reggie's Achilles heal problem??

I think they downplayed their injuries so they could bash them(media loves a good bashin'....)
Fatty
Head Coach

Post#18 » by Fatty » Fri Apr 6, 2007 4:35 pm

didnt Mark Anderson have 10.5 sacks? Sacks arent a good way to judge ends anyway
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst

Post#19 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Fri Apr 6, 2007 5:04 pm

J.Kim wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I was being sarcastic....
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by J.Kim » Fri Apr 6, 2007 5:28 pm

The_Child_Prodigy wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I was being sarcastic....

Green Font is key.

Return to The General NFL Board