Michael Vick

Moderator: bwgood77

UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Michael Vick 

Post#1 » by UrbanLegendMD » Wed Apr 4, 2007 1:37 am

NFL's version of Vince Carter has been the league's most overrated player for years now. Still clanging passes right in front of his receivers (who also suck), Michael Vick still has not learned how to pass. With Petrino coming in and preaching the pass, do you think Vick will finally live up to the hype? By that I mean complete 60% of his passes. Since we still have months to go till the opener, let's waste our time predicting his stats for the season.

2600 yds passing
600 yds rushing
14 total TDs
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,192
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#2 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Apr 4, 2007 1:49 am

If by Clanging passes off of his recievers chest and hands then I agree.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#3 » by J.Kim » Wed Apr 4, 2007 2:14 am

Atlanta had 24 according to this site

Which, even if those attempts were made, still puts Vick's Comp% at a below average, 58.8%. (Of course, this is assuming that Schaub's attempts were not dropped by his receivers)
nesta
Sixth Man
And1: 242

Post#4 » by nesta » Wed Apr 4, 2007 3:28 am

no way is he vince carter of the nfl.Mike Vick is Mike Vick

my predictions
2900 yards passing
900 yards rushing
25 pass tds
5 rush tds
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Apr 4, 2007 3:53 am

J.Kim wrote:Atlanta had 24 according to this site

Which, even if those attempts were made, still puts Vick's Comp% at a below average, 58.8%. (Of course, this is assuming that Schaub's attempts were not dropped by his receivers)

I am in no way a staunch Vick supporter, and I know what I saw....

Do those drops account for all the passes that are short armed?? or when a guy quits on a route?? how about the poor offensive line play?? Those receivers were absolutely horrid.

I'm a Saints fan, and I can see the problem wasn't Vick.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
NDaATL
Lead Assistant
And1: 554

Post#6 » by NDaATL » Wed Apr 4, 2007 6:17 am

J.Kim wrote:Atlanta had 24 according to this site

I can GUARANTEE it was more drops than that. Vick actually passed significantly more accurate this year, if you actually saw the games.

Even considering all that, he was still top 10 in TD passes. On top of that, he rushed for 1000 yards.

It's funny how people just discredit his rushing as if it means nothing.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Apr 4, 2007 6:32 am

NDaATL wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I can GUARANTEE it was more drops than that. Vick actually passed significantly more accurate this year, if you actually saw the games.

Even considering all that, he was still top 10 in TD passes. On top of that, he rushed for 1000 yards.

It's also funny how the defense's in the NFC south are basically tailored to stop Vick.

Don't even let it bother you, even if he doesn't crack 60% he is still a gamechanger, A guy who has to be accounted for with a spy, and a guy that must be gameplanned for accordingly.

If you don't think Vick's throws are accurate, you watch with your eyes closed.
NDaATL
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by NDaATL » Wed Apr 4, 2007 8:02 am

^ Check this out, and this is just ONE GAME,
this crap happened ALL season. BTW Vick rushed for like 180 yards this game, he had no other choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4aUWrLAX3U
The_Child_Prodigy
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#9 » by The_Child_Prodigy » Wed Apr 4, 2007 9:51 am

I can see the comparrison to VInce but he stepped in his first season and propelled us to the post season plus um we have not missed the playoffs in his tenure here. Something Vick has not done.
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by NO-KG-AI » Wed Apr 4, 2007 9:55 am

Vick has not propelled his team to the Playoffs?

NFC championship game?? have you seen the Falcons record without him???

Get your facts right before you post BS.

BTW I know their were at least 10 drops in the 2 Saints games, and I remember Mike Jenkins badly shortarming two passes.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by J.Kim » Wed Apr 4, 2007 2:34 pm

Because Rushing doesn't have much to do with pure passing?....
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by J.Kim » Wed Apr 4, 2007 2:43 pm

NO-KG-AI wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I am in no way a staunch Vick supporter, and I know what I saw....

Do those drops account for all the passes that are short armed?? or when a guy quits on a route?? how about the poor offensive line play?? Those receivers were absolutely horrid.

I'm a Saints fan, and I can see the problem wasn't Vick.

You gotta consider though. Why are these receivers dropping the passes that are thrown directly at their chest? Most people would assume because it's a lack of concentration... Then I ask, why is there a lack of concentration?

IMO, from what I've seen, it's because Vick (to a degree) still doesn't understand the timed offense (maybe not "doesn't understand" but rather can't get the timing right still). Becasue of this (and partially because from what I've seen he keeps his eyes towards his receivers), he attracts the safeties/corners towards his receiver, and the receiver, expecting the hit to come, loses concentration and drops the ball.

At any rate, we'll know whether or not it's Vick's fault or not this year. Joe Horn usually has a catch rate of around 60% (even with Brooks in there as a QB), so we'll know, barring any injuries, that if he drops his catch rate below 60%, that it may be Vick's fault rather than the receivers.
Wizards2Lottery
RealGM
And1: 26

Post#13 » by Wizards2Lottery » Wed Apr 4, 2007 4:58 pm

The Falcons are stuck with him forever anyways. I don't think hes as bad as many seem to label him. The team around him has always sucked or been extremely average.
FlightNo.23
Senior

Post#14 » by FlightNo.23 » Wed Apr 4, 2007 6:15 pm

They should have never tried developing the West Coast Offense with him; especially not with Greg Knapp (OC).

He's got one of the best arms in the game. He would have excelled better in a vertical oriented passing game.
TheHassassin
Banned User

Post#15 » by TheHassassin » Wed Apr 4, 2007 8:29 pm

I would gladly trade Elisha Manning for Michael Vick.

Anyone who even tries to give his trash offensive line and receivers an excuse for not blocking and dropping POINT BLANK CATCHES has either something against Vick or is an idiot. People need to point at the root of the problem in Atlanta and stop crucifying Vick because he's the only player on that offense worth a damn, its baffling how some of you can watch these games(IF YOU HAVE WATCHED, THAT IS) and say that its Vick's fault Michael Jenkins, Roddy White, and Ashlee Lelie sucks ass.
Official hitman of the New Jersey Nets forum

NDaATL
Lead Assistant

Post#16 » by NDaATL » Wed Apr 4, 2007 8:30 pm

J.Kim wrote:You gotta consider though. Why are these receivers dropping the passes that are thrown directly at their chest?
IMO, from what I've seen, it's because Vick (to a degree) still doesn't understand the timed offense (maybe not "doesn't understand" but rather can't get the timing right still). Becasue of this (and partially because from what I've seen he keeps his eyes towards his receivers), he attracts the safeties/corners towards his receiver, and the receiver, expecting the hit to come, loses concentration and drops the ball.

Exactly, In YOUR opinion. You don't watch Falcon games so you just go by the consensus of him having a poor percentage.

This is just finding something to bash about Vick. These recievers are PROFESSIONALS, they are paid MILLIONS to catch the football. If they can't catch a football that lands right in their hands or chest, how is that Vick's fault? I don't care what happened on the play, you have to make those catches.
Did you watch this video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4aUWrLAX3U

Keep in mind that's only in ONE GAME. Dropped passes on 3rd downs are DRIVE KILLERS, and make a HUGE difference in a game.

Oh, and why does Crumpler not have a problem catching his passes? Why does Brian Finneran not have a problem with his passes?

At any rate, we'll know whether or not it's Vick's fault or not this year.

This is what I hate. EVERYTHING is on Vick REGARDLESS of what goes wrong with the Falcons. Can you name the last college-to-NFL coach that was successful?? You probably can't without looking it up or thinking for a while, and this is why I hated the hiring of Petrino. College coaches generally don't work out in the NFL, especially right off the bat. But it doesn't matter because if we fail, all the blame will be on Vick.

Joe Horn usually has a catch rate of around 60% (even with Brooks in there as a QB), so we'll know, barring any injuries, that if he drops his catch rate below 60%, that it may be Vick's fault rather than the receivers.

If you watched our games last year, you would KNOW those drops weren't Vicks fault. Alge Crumpler PUBLICALLY called out Roddy White last year. Saying something like "If these receivers don't start doing what they're paid to do, this team is going nowhere, and I'm talking specifically about Roddy White."

That's pretty much the exact quote, and the bolded part is 100% a sure quote.
NDaATL
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by NDaATL » Wed Apr 4, 2007 8:35 pm

J.Kim wrote:Because Rushing doesn't have much to do with pure passing?....

Thanks for proving my point. When is rushing for 1000 yards on almost 8 yards per carry hurting the team? I don't care if he's a QB or not, that's a TREMENDOUS help.

People just look at his passing and say he's horrible (which would be a lot better if our receivers didn't suck), as if the rushing doesn't matter.

Noone seemed to discredit Vince Young's rushing, or his performance in the championship game.
TheHassassin
Banned User

Post#18 » by TheHassassin » Wed Apr 4, 2007 8:39 pm

Do the Falcs get Finneran back or is he finished?

Horn is old as hell and wont even finish the season, IMO Atlanta's GM is also a big reason why the team hasnt done anything, all of their signings suck. Joe Horn????
Official hitman of the New Jersey Nets forum

NDaATL
Lead Assistant

Post#19 » by NDaATL » Wed Apr 4, 2007 8:52 pm

TheHassassin wrote:Do the Falcs get Finneran back or is he finished?

Horn is old as hell and wont even finish the season, IMO Atlanta's GM is also a big reason why the team hasnt done anything, all of their signings suck. Joe Horn????

Yeah Joe Horn is like 36 and coming off one of his worst seasons, and an injury plagued one at that. But hey! If he doesn't do well it's Vick's fault!

I'm not sure about Finnerans status yet, we may cut him although I hope not. He's been Vick's #1 receiver since Vick took the starting job. But then again, he's had some serious injuries so I'm not sure about how effective he'll be.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by J.Kim » Wed Apr 4, 2007 9:02 pm

Thanks for proving my point. When is rushing for 1000 yards on almost 8 yards per carry hurting the team? I don't care if he's a QB or not, that's a TREMENDOUS help.

People just look at his passing and say he's horrible (which would be a lot better if our receivers didn't suck), as if the rushing doesn't matter.

Noone seemed to discredit Vince Young's rushing, or his performance in the championship game.

:-?

What does Rushing for 1000 yards have anything to do with passing at a rate of 53%?

We're looking at a pure passer perspective here, rushing doesnt figure much into it.

(Actually, you'd have to think that considering he rushes for that many yards, he'd throw at a higher clip since teams will be afraid of the run)

If you can prove to me how Rushing a 1000 yards in a season, correlates to under/over-throwing receivers, and not throwing accurately, then I'll concede that point to you.

I'll tackle your other points after I get back home from work.

Return to The General NFL Board