ImageImageImage

How much weaver offer Tobias Harris?

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

Patrick27
Junior
And1: 107

Re: How much weaver offer Tobias Harris? 

Post#21 » by Patrick27 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:09 pm

Piston Pete wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:Weaver was extremely high on Patrick Williams in the draft. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Weaver target Williams as a FA.
This has been my speculation. So, do you even like Patrick Williams as a player yourself? Because everytime I see him mentioned, it's because Weaver allegedly liked him 4 years ago, BEFORE he got to show the world how awesomely average he is.

Side note, he really liked Killian 4 years ago, too.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app

I like Williams as a 3&D stretch-the-floor option. If you don’t expect more of him other than 3&D, he fits.

I think Bulls fans rag on him cuz of their expectations of him, being such a high draft pick. They want more out of him. But he is what he is…..a good 3&D support role type.

This team is Cade’s, Ivey’s, and Duren’s.

I think what Williams does well compliments those guys.

Spot on, and Patrick Williams needs a change of scenery to break free of those expectations. Very high chance that it happens this offseason.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#22 » by DetroitSho » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:25 pm

Piston Pete wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
Piston Pete wrote:Weaver was extremely high on Patrick Williams in the draft. Wouldn’t surprise me at all to see Weaver target Williams as a FA.
This has been my speculation. So, do you even like Patrick Williams as a player yourself? Because everytime I see him mentioned, it's because Weaver allegedly liked him 4 years ago, BEFORE he got to show the world how awesomely average he is.

Side note, he really liked Killian 4 years ago, too.

I like Williams as a 3&D stretch-the-floor option. If you don’t expect more of him other than 3&D, he fits.

I think Bulls fans rag on him cuz of their expectations of him, being such a high draft pick. They want more out of him. But he is what he is…..a good 3&D support role type.

This team is Cade’s, Ivey’s, and Duren’s.

I think what Williams does well compliments those guys.
We're at the point where we need high-level impact guys, not known 5th wheels. Add in the money you'd have to pay to outbid his RFA status, I can't be certain that acquisition would be any better than Kevin Knox for the minimum.

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,969

Post#23 » by MotownMadness » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:56 pm

Not very excited about adding Harris but there's not much else
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,449

Post#24 » by Mr Peanut » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:06 pm

The cap is continuing to go up and we will be paying the Detroit tax. If Fred Van Vleet just got 3 years 129M then that will be the starting point for Tobias, and perhaps a little more.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,864

Post#25 » by theBigLip » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:26 pm

Where is all this Weaver excitement about Harris? It’s against NBA rules for him to comment on getting Harris. Are you guys just making this **** up?

Regardless, he should not be our top option. I wouldn’t go over 30 per, and 3 years max, preferably 2 years.
Mr Peanut
Starter

Post#26 » by Mr Peanut » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:14 am

theBigLip wrote:Where is all this Weaver excitement about Harris? It’s against NBA rules for him to comment on getting Harris. Are you guys just making this **** up?

Regardless, he should not be our top option. I wouldn’t go over 30 per, and 3 years max, preferably 2 years.

Mostly reported by our beat writers, and then the Jake Fischer report that we tried to trade Bojan/Burks for him (presumably as a precursor to signing him this summer). Also, Zach Lowe said on his podcast two days ago that Detroit fans should be prepared for a Tobias Harris pursuit this off-season.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#27 » by Piston Pete » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:23 am

Mr Peanut wrote:
theBigLip wrote:Where is all this Weaver excitement about Harris? It’s against NBA rules for him to comment on getting Harris. Are you guys just making this **** up?

Mostly reported by our beat writers, and then the Jake Fischer report that we tried to trade Bojan/Burks for him (presumably as a precursor to signing him this summer). Also, Zach Lowe said on his podcast two days ago that Detroit fans should be prepared for a Tobias Harris pursuit this off-season.

Instead of going after Harris, I could also see us possibly kicking the tires on a DeAndre Hunter trade again this offseason.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,281

Post#28 » by BDM22 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:25 am

Mr Peanut wrote:The cap is continuing to go up and we will be paying the Detroit tax. If Fred Van Vleet just got 3 years 129M then that will be the starting point for Tobias, and perhaps a little more.

FVV was an all-star, won a ring, and was about 3 years younger when he signed than Tobias will be, which I think inflates his value a bit more. Tobias has had a really solid career, but let's be real, his biggest accomplishment was getting $180M out of Philly when he did lol
Mr Peanut
Starter

Post#29 » by Mr Peanut » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:54 am

BDM22 wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:The cap is continuing to go up and we will be paying the Detroit tax. If Fred Van Vleet just got 3 years 129M then that will be the starting point for Tobias, and perhaps a little more.

FVV was an all-star, won a ring, and was about 3 years younger when he signed than Tobias will be, which I think inflates his value a bit more. Tobias has had a really solid career, but let's be real, his biggest accomplishment was getting $180M out of Philly when he did lol

Yeah I agree, I can just see Tobias's agent (who is his dad!) using that contract as a starting point. Realistically I think Weaver offers 3y 120M, although I think the value is closer to 90-100M.
FloridaMan78
Sixth Man
And1: 604

Post#30 » by FloridaMan78 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:58 am

I really hope there’s some deal we don’t know about. I’m not big on paying Harris 40 mil a year.

My hope is there’s some type of deal sending out our pick this year and maybe adding our 2030 1st and trading for someone using all that cap space that’s actually good.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,379

Post#31 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:22 am

Per league sources, the Pistons remain interested in the sharpshooting forward who played in Detroit from 2016-18. While a move before the deadline for Harris wouldn’t surprise me[b], the feeling I’ve gotten is that the Pistons are more likely to go after Harris in the summer using cap space. [/b]Detroit appears to be on the fence about giving up any type of asset for a player it could simply sign this summer. Harris has personal connections to Detroit and relationships with several in the front office and coaching staff. Depending on Philadelphia’s asking price for Harris, it might make more sense for the Pistons to just sit it out until this summer.

https://theathletic.com/5248955/2024/02/05/pistons-trade-deadline-nba-zach-lavine-tobias-harris/

League sources tell The Athletic that the likes of OG Anunoby, Tobias Harris and other proven forwards are going to be targets for the Pistons between now and free agency this offseason.

https://theathletic.com/5142623/2023/12/18/detroit-pistons-trade-scenarios/
Neptune
Veteran
And1: 1,279

Post#32 » by Neptune » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:23 am

If we have close to 70 mil is cap space, I would offer a 1yr/45mil deal. Harris gets his money, Pistons get a true stretch 4. If it works out, we talk about contract extension before the season for a less annual amount, if not, we trade him or get the benefits of cap space next offseason.

Win win for both parties
BDM22
RealGM

Post#33 » by BDM22 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:30 am

Mr Peanut wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

Yeah I agree, I can just see Tobias's agent (who is his dad!) using that contract as a starting point. Realistically I think Weaver offers 3y 120M, although I think the value is closer to 90-100M.

Yep. The closer Weaver can push it down toward that 90M number the better.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#34 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:26 am

Neptune wrote:If we have close to 70 mil is cap space, I would offer a 1yr/45mil deal. Harris gets his money, Pistons get a true stretch 4. If it works out, we talk about contract extension before the season for a less annual amount, if not, we trade him or get the benefits of cap space next offseason.

Win win for both parties

That would be ideal but a older player like Harris is going to want to lock in as much guaranteed as possible knowing the wheels could come off at anytime. Also if hes bypassing the chance to go to a playoff team its going to be all about the money.

We still would have to beat out the Sixers offering him a new contract and a team like OKC who could use him for example has 35mill open and is actually a good roster. Not a ton of teams have cap space we have the most but its also a very weak market so a guy like Harris will be more interesting then usual.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#35 » by BDM22 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 1:08 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Neptune wrote:If we have close to 70 mil is cap space, I would offer a 1yr/45mil deal. Harris gets his money, Pistons get a true stretch 4. If it works out, we talk about contract extension before the season for a less annual amount, if not, we trade him or get the benefits of cap space next offseason.

Win win for both parties

That would be ideal but a older player like Harris is going to want to lock in as much guaranteed as possible knowing the wheels could come off at anytime. Also if hes bypassing the chance to go to a playoff team its going to be all about the money.

We still would have to beat out the Sixers offering him a new contract and a team like OKC who could use him for example has 35mill open and is actually a good roster. Not a ton of teams have cap space we have the most but its also a very weak market so a guy like Harris will be more interesting then usual.

I feel like OKC has to have bigger goals than Tobias given their wealth of draft picks that they really cannot use (no PT for that many young guys). Depending on how they look in the playoffs, they should target Lauri in the offseason. Maybe they don't really need him and they can just keep trading those draft picks for future picks to kick the can down the road.

Tobias isn't exciting by any means, but he's solid and would help this team a lot, I think. A true PF. I'd be OK with probably any 3-year (or less) deal for him, mostly because there's no one else on the market that seems realistic and we have to spend the money.

Obviously OG would be the best option but he'd be dumb to leave NYK (or not just go to Philly). I don't really know if Siakam is better for us as Tobias is a better shooter for his career, and Siakam will be a true max contract (plus he'd be dumb to leave Indy). Tobias makes a lot of sense with his connections here, and him being a solid vet. Just wish he'd cost like Kuzma money, which I think is closer to his value.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:15 pm

Pistons fans better brace themselves for the Tobias Harris pursuit of the summer of 2024, cause it's coming," Lowe said on his podcast, "The Lowe Post" on Thursday night. "Probably, maybe, probably."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/signs-point-tobias-harris-detroit-174138399.html
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:20 pm

BDM22 wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

Win win for both parties

I feel like OKC has to have bigger goals than Tobias given their wealth of draft picks that they really cannot use (no PT for that many young guys). Depending on how they look in the playoffs, they should target Lauri in the offseason. Maybe they don't really need him and they can just keep trading those draft picks for future picks to kick the can down the road.

Tobias isn't exciting by any means, but he's solid and would help this team a lot, I think. A true PF. I'd be OK with probably any 3-year (or less) deal for him, mostly because there's no one else on the market that seems realistic and we have to spend the money.

Obviously OG would be the best option but he'd be dumb to leave NYK (or not just go to Philly). I don't really know if Siakam is better for us as Tobias is a better shooter for his career, and Siakam will be a true max contract (plus he'd be dumb to leave Indy). Tobias makes a lot of sense with his connections here, and him being a solid vet. Just wish he'd cost like Kuzma money, which I think is closer to his value.

I still would prefer Bridges but thats obv controversial no need to debate that here. We pretty much have to spend the money now on someone as you stated. Obv we would prefer OG or pulling a rabbit out to get Lauri but Harris might be the only date in town.

Harris does fit at least. Hes solid and should age ok. Just a boring pickup. Would prefer someone with a ceiling. I expect its gonna cost us more then we would like as well.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,864

Post#38 » by theBigLip » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:35 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:

Per league sources, the Pistons remain interested in the sharpshooting forward who played in Detroit from 2016-18. While a move before the deadline for Harris wouldn’t surprise me[b], the feeling I’ve gotten is that the Pistons are more likely to go after Harris in the summer using cap space. [/b]Detroit appears to be on the fence about giving up any type of asset for a player it could simply sign this summer. Harris has personal connections to Detroit and relationships with several in the front office and coaching staff. Depending on Philadelphia’s asking price for Harris, it might make more sense for the Pistons to just sit it out until this summer.

https://theathletic.com/5248955/2024/02/05/pistons-trade-deadline-nba-zach-lavine-tobias-harris/

League sources tell The Athletic that the likes of OG Anunoby, Tobias Harris and other proven forwards are going to be targets for the Pistons between now and free agency this offseason.

Thanks for the response, and Mr Peanut as well. Trading Bojan and Burks for him is one thing, but spending huge money on him in the offseason is another. He’s a solid player and a good fit, but we should be patient and not overpay. We’ve suffered enough through this rebuild, got cap space to use, and now we’re going to spend it all on someone 10 years older than our core?
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,517

Post#39 » by Canadafan » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:09 pm

Win win for both parties

Ya, I'm down for a 1yr deal.
Also down for Weaver to not spend everything prior to free agency like he did with the waste that was Harris.
Would much prefer for the dust to settle and sign a couple good players that missed out on finding a deal and have no choice but to at least sign with us for a 1 yr deal .
I need 2 legit rotation players. And preferably 2 starters at,forward spots this summer.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#40 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Feb 11, 2024 5:08 pm

theBigLip wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:

r.

Thanks for the response, and Mr Peanut as well. Trading Bojan and Burks for him is one thing, but spending huge money on him in the offseason is another. He’s a solid player and a good fit, but we should be patient and not overpay. We’ve suffered enough through this rebuild, got cap space to use, and now we’re going to spend it all on someone 10 years older than our core?

Harris is likely the worst case scenario. Its just a matter of we need to spend the cash because other players will need raises soon. The other option is a trade of some kind.

Seems like most the rumored market next year is going to be guards. Sounds like Atl has switched their plans to keep D.Murray and may be looking to trade Trae instead. Then maybe D.Mitch and Irving. I've been the leader of the trade Ivey bandwagon but the way hes been playing even I'm like oh crap I was off on that(not the first nor the last time I like to make hot takes for the chat action) gotta hold this guy. So dont see any of those on ball guys being it maybe a surprise wing or 4 hits the market we shall see.

Return to Detroit Pistons