RealGM
And1: 11,007

WELCOME TO DETROIT MR. GRIMES. 

Post#1 » by zeebneeb » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:57 pm

Absolutely love these moves, as it landed the team this guy;

https://youtu.be/VXw_of3RB9A?si=wDNVstdzuw8l1Srn

https://youtu.be/ETrSPhePyKM?si=p2qbdxxfDgDxxYF8

https://youtu.be/1JCV32BRBUQ?si=L8dLe0eqy-ypiRl8

Good luck to Burks/Bojan, but welcome Quentin Grimes!

Seems like a link is all I get lately. Oh well.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,062

Re: WELCOME TO DETROIT MR. GRIMES. 

Post#2 » by Snakebites » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:25 pm

Brace yourself for the “we should have gotten our first back for our aging expiring vets” wailing.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,969

Post#3 » by MotownMadness » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:27 pm

Nice to get a young piece back
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,464

Post#4 » by Billl » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:32 pm

I like grimes. Tough nosed guy that can shoot the 3. Should fit well with our other young guys.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#5 » by zeebneeb » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:55 pm

Snakebites wrote:Brace yourself for the “we should have gotten our first back for our aging expiring vets” wailing.
I am not going to listen, nor engage.

I will let Grimes game do the talking for me.

He is exactly the type of player that should be targeted by Weaver, and to my surprise, and absolute shock, he went after exactly who I wanted.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#6 » by Snakebites » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:58 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Brace yourself for the “we should have gotten our first back for our aging expiring vets” wailing.

He is exactly the type of player that should be targeted by Weaver, and to my surprise, and absolute shock, he went after exactly who I wanted.

What have you seen of him this year? Does Thibs just not like him?
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,330

Post#7 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:04 pm

I like Grimmes but the value we paid is laughable. Weaver is so bad. Grimmes is an ok 2 way player that can shoot around league average but that's about it.

Bojan and Burks were really good players.

We are going to waive a lot of people. What a mess.
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#8 » by zeebneeb » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:09 pm

Snakebites wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:

What have you seen of him this year? Does Thibs just not like him?
Thibs is an absolute task master, and doesn't abide mistakes. Grimes is young, and can turn the ball over.

Most of it stems from this;

https://youtu.be/raEBbQYlpNk?si=eC5dEbSgpJxW8IkZ

Thibs is in win now mode, title on the line. This is to the benefit of Detroit.

Fans are gonna absolutely love this guy. 100% effort, and passion. Its gonna rub off on other players, trust me.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:11 pm

vege wrote:I like Grimmes but the value we paid is laughable. Weaver is so bad. Grimmes is an ok 2 way player that can shoot around league average but that's about it.

So we got a young guy you like and 2 picks for two guys with no future on this team and it’s laughable?
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,864

Post#10 » by theBigLip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:11 pm

He’s 23 and plays a position of need. We don’t know the offers that were available for Bogdonovich and Burks, combined or separate. I thought we’d get our pick back but it was probably either that or Grimes.

Our pick to New York handcuffs us, but really isn’t super valuable and could very easily become two seconds.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#11 » by theBigLip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:13 pm

Snakebites wrote:
vege wrote:I like Grimmes but the value we paid is laughable. Weaver is so bad. Grimmes is an ok 2 way player that can shoot around league average but that's about it.

So we got a young guy you like and 2 picks for two guys with no future on this team and it’s laughable?

Expecting a different response? :lol:
vege
RealGM

Post#12 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:14 pm

Snakebites wrote:

Those 2 guys were helping develop our young players making it semi functional with all the spacing and gravy they were providing. We don't know which 2nds are those, but I would bet they're bad ones.

Bojan had another years under contract.

The young guy is passable. I wanted us to get him, but I would want him for Burks or for 2nds not for Burks AND Bojan.

The return is laughable. Just because the bar is super low doesn't make it any better.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,298

Post#13 » by GreekAlex » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:16 pm

Have you considered that your valuations are off and need to be recalibrated?

If the team didn’t trade Bogey & Burks, I imagine you’d be frantic.

Have you considered that this is the best deal that was available and the team likes Grimes?

If Grimes doesn’t work out, I can imagine being able to move him for multiple 2nds.

You said all along that Bogey & Burks weren’t worth what other posters suggested.

Would you have been happier with 4 second round picks?
zeebneeb
RealGM

Post#14 » by zeebneeb » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:16 pm

vege wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Those 2 guys were helping develop our young players making it semi functional with all the spacing and gravy they were providing. We don't know which 2nds are those, but I would bet they're bad ones.

The young guy is passable. I wanted us to get him, but I would want him for Burks or for 2nds not for Burks AND Bojan.

The return is laughable. Just because the bar is super low doesn't make it any better.
Grimes is primed for a break-out, much like Monk was.

This move is amazing, and ill bet anything, New York told Weaver that if you want Grimes, you gotta cough up Bojan as well.

He fits perfectly here in Detroit.
vege
RealGM

Post#15 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:18 pm

GreekAlex wrote:

Have you considered that this is the best deal that was available and the team likes Grimes?

If Grimes doesn’t work out, I can imagine being able to move him for multiple 2nds.

You said all along that Bogey & Burks weren’t worth what other posters suggested.

We would be better by keeping those 2 players and trying to develop our young players instead of donating them to a contender.

We became the league's farm. We donate cap space and good players for peanuts for other teams, while we build a GLeague talent level roster and have a draft capital deficit. How can you defend Weaver. Seriously. Do you understand we have 7 wins, and we owe a 1st and no FA want to sign with us?
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#16 » by theBigLip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:19 pm

vege wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

You want trades to go down but they all suck because you don’t think we got a huge return. We don’t know what the market was for our vets. I’m sure they were shopped and this was the best deal available.
vege
RealGM

Post#17 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:21 pm

theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:
Snakebites wrote:So we got a young guy you like and 2 picks for two guys with no future on this team and it’s laughable?

You want trades to go down but they all suck because you don’t think we got a huge return. We don’t know what the market was for our vets. I’m sure they were shopped and this was the best deal available.

KEEP THE VETS TO HELP DEVELOP CADE/AUSAR/DUREN neither of them can shoot. It's not rocket science. And don't sell your cap space for 2nds and then donate those 2nds on terrible deals, like Bagley, Wiseman, etc etc etc.

We have 7 wins and our draft capital is negative. WAKE UP.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#18 » by theBigLip » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:21 pm

vege wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

We would be better by keeping those 2 players and trying to develop our young players instead of donating them to a contender.

We became the league's farm. We donate cap space and good players for peanuts for other teams, while we build a GLeague talent level roster and have a draft capital deficit. How can you defend Weaver. Seriously. Do you understand we have 7 wins, and we owe a 1st and no FA want to sign with us?

I don’t think we’d be better keeping BB and Burks. Win a couple more games this year? Probably. But that shouldn’t be the goal.
vege
RealGM

Post#19 » by vege » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:23 pm

theBigLip wrote:
vege wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

I don’t think we’d be better keeping BB and Burks. Win a couple more games this year? Probably. But that shouldn’t be the goal.

The only goal should be putting a functional team on the court to develop Cade/Ausar/Duren. Bojan and Burks and Monte Morris would help accomplish that. Grimes Fontecchio and the rest of the garbage we got are not.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,464

Post#20 » by Billl » Thu Feb 8, 2024 6:23 pm

vege wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Grimes is more valuable than burks. And NY wasn't punting him for seconds. Let's not pretend those were options.
Realistic trade value around the league
burks = 1 second
Bogie = 2 seconds or young prospect.
These guys just don't hold much trade value. Certainly not if you are searching for 2-way wings in return.

Return to Detroit Pistons