Troy Weaver Press Conference Link

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,297

Troy Weaver Press Conference Link 

Post#1 » by GreekAlex » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:39 pm

[youtube] https://youtu.be/oTbam782fbo?si=n_POzs1IAAk6dtWM[/youtube]

I just found it. I’m going to leave some comments after I watch it in full.

I think most of us already saw the tweeted quotables but I wanted to see the video in its entirety.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,060

Re: Troy Weaver Press Conference Link 

Post#2 » by Snakebites » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:40 pm

I can’t watch it. Says unavailable.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#3 » by GreekAlex » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:40 pm

Snakebites wrote:I can’t watch it. Says unavailable.

I added the link in an edit.

Not sure why it’s not showing. Please let me know if I did something wrong.

https://youtu.be/oTbam782fbo?si=n_POzs1IAAk6dtWM
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#4 » by Snakebites » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:46 pm

GreekAlex wrote:

Thanks.

I’m a few minutes in and I’d like to say something:

I’ve heard people call Troy stupid and cite the way he talks as evidence.

I haven’t liked the overall job Troy has done but I don’t think he’s a stupid guy. Perhaps he’s not the negotiator or evaluator of talent he thinks he is, but those are skills, not measures of intelligence. I do think he’s a terrible public speaker who is extremely uncomfortable in these types of situations. You can see nervousness on his face in all of these.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#5 » by GreekAlex » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:00 pm

Snakebites wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:

Thanks.

I’m a few minutes in and I’d like to say something:

I’ve heard people call Troy stupid and cite the way he talks as evidence.

I haven’t liked the overall job Troy has done but I don’t think he’s a stupid guy. Perhaps he’s not the negotiator or evaluator of talent he thinks he is, but those are skills, not measures of intelligence. I do think he’s a terrible public speaker who is extremely uncomfortable in these types of situations. You can see nervousness on his face in all of these.

I agree with your assessment. I’m not of the camp that’s ever questioned his intelligence.

My frustration is with his defiance. When asked about why Killian, he put 100% of the blame on Killian and 0% on the organization’s scouting and draft process that he oversees. He still sees Killian as a superior prospect from that draft with more upside than all of the successful players that he passed on.

He even cited Marcus Smart as a guard that couldn’t shoot coming into the league and learned to shoot.

IMO, taking high draft picks like Killian and Ausar and assuming that they’ll suddenly learn the fundamentals is a bad approach in many cases.
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man
And1: 497

Post#6 » by MortSahlfan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:01 pm

This is what Troy said after drafting Killian...

“His dad is a former (pro basketball) player, so he’s been around the game all his life. He has a really competitive spirit. That’s the biggest trait we looked for, I said in the press conference that we want competitive guys. He’s extremely competitive. He’s been a pro for a while, since he was 16, so I think his learning curve may be a little faster than the normal rookie in the states.”
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#7 » by Snakebites » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:04 pm

GreekAlex wrote:My frustration is with his defiance. When asked about why Killian, he put 100% of the blame on Killian and 0% on the organization’s scouting and draft process that he oversees. He still sees Killian as a superior prospect from that draft with more upside than all of the successful players that he passed on.

He even cited Marcus Smart as a guard that couldn’t shoot coming into the league and learned to shoot.

IMO, taking high draft picks like Killian and Ausar and assuming that they’ll suddenly learn the fundamentals is a bad approach in many cases.

Agreed. He does early on say that it’s on him/the organization that the team has been this bad, but he seems reluctant to own up to specific mistakes- and I’d say Killian is the single largest error.
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by MortSahlfan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:12 pm

Troy Weaver could have a 2-hour press conference and saying nothing but 'uh' and basically nothing... I just WISH he uses the word 're-tool' because a re-build would be TOO much!
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,281

Post#9 » by BDM22 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:21 pm

Snakebites wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:My frustration is with his defiance. When asked about why Killian, he put 100% of the blame on Killian and 0% on the organization’s scouting and draft process that he oversees. He still sees Killian as a superior prospect from that draft with more upside than all of the successful players that he passed on.

Agreed. He does early on say that it’s on him/the organization that the team has been this bad, but he seems reluctant to own up to specific mistakes- and I’d say Killian is the single largest error.

He basically said Bagley was a mistake without saying it. Same with Killian. There's a fine line between owning mistakes and openly trashing guys you acquired publicly.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#10 » by Snakebites » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:23 pm

BDM22 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

He basically said Bagley was a mistake without saying it. There's a fine line between owning mistakes and openly trashing guys you acquired publicly.

But he did trash Killian. He blamed him for not becoming a better shooter rather than acknowledging he was wrong about Killian’s offensive ceiling.

And he didn’t really own up to the mistake of trading for Bagley when nobody else wanted him, just the mistake of giving him a big contract before he’d proven himself. Which granted was the bigger of the two mistakes, but that’s a pretty considerable asterisk.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#11 » by flow » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:28 pm

Still can't understand how he's still employed.

kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#12 » by kpt » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:24 pm

"Taken a little longer because injuries" orrrrr personelle, team make up, and drafting (aside from the gimmies)
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man

Post#13 » by MortSahlfan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:45 pm

The ONLY thing he owned up to was the fact that they were offered more for Bojan and Burks last year.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#14 » by BDM22 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:59 pm

Snakebites wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

He basically said Bagley was a mistake without saying it. There's a fine line between owning mistakes and openly trashing guys you acquired publicly.

But he did trash Killian. He blamed him for not becoming a better shooter rather than acknowledging he was wrong about Killian’s offensive ceiling.

And he didn’t really own up to the mistake of trading for Bagley when nobody else wanted him, just the mistake of giving him a big contract before he’d proven himself. Which granted was the bigger of the two mistakes, but that’s a pretty considerable asterisk.

I'm still totally fine with trading for Bagley. Cade needed the lob threat desperately, and the cost was low. Cade's game got a lot better with Bagley when Cade was a rookie. It cost the 55th pick last year and what looks to be about the 50th pick this year. Also gave Lyles, but there are 5 Lyles caliber players available in free agency every year for pennies (and he shot terribly with us). No one was devastated about losing Mr. slow motion pump-fake at the time lol.

The mistakes there were giving Bagley the bag after you landed Duren in the draft and not replacing the stretch 4. Then he added to the mistakes by trading for Wiseman. Weaver clearly gets too attached to "his" guys.

It's strange that he admitted you need at least one PF/C that can shoot on the floor at all times yet he assembled a front court with Duren, Bagley, and Wiseman. Where do the minutes come from?!
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#15 » by GreekAlex » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:05 pm

BDM22 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
BDM22 wrote:He basically said Bagley was a mistake without saying it. There's a fine line between owning mistakes and openly trashing guys you acquired publicly.

I'm still totally fine with trading for Bagley. Cade needed the lob threat desperately, and the cost was low. Cade's game got a lot better with Bagley when Cade was a rookie. It cost the 55th pick last year and what looks to be about the 50th pick this year. Also gave Lyles, but there are 5 Lyles caliber players available in free agency every year for pennies (and he shot terribly with us). No one was devastated about losing Mr. pump-fake at the time lol.

The mistakes there were giving Bagley the bag after you landed Duren in the draft and not replacing the stretch 4. Then he added to the mistakes by trading for Wiseman. Weaver clearly gets too attached to "his" guys.

It's strange that he admitted you need at least one PF/C that can shoot on the floor at all times yet he assembled a front court with Duren, Bagley, and Wiseman. Where do the minutes come from?!

Weaver Probably married the first girl he dated :lol:
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#16 » by Piston Pete » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:10 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:But he did trash Killian. He blamed him for not becoming a better shooter rather than acknowledging he was wrong about Killian’s offensive ceiling.

I'm still totally fine with trading for Bagley. Cade needed the lob threat desperately, and the cost was low. Cade's game got a lot better with Bagley when Cade was a rookie. It cost the 55th pick last year and what looks to be about the 50th pick this year. Also gave Lyles, but there are 5 Lyles caliber players available in free agency every year for pennies (and he shot terribly with us). No one was devastated about losing Mr. pump-fake at the time lol.

Weaver Probably married the first girl he dated :lol:

Is she tall? Does she have size to be a C?
BDM22
RealGM

Post#17 » by BDM22 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:15 pm

kpt wrote:"Taken a little longer because injuries" orrrrr personelle, team make up, and drafting (aside from the gimmies)

This was the worst thing he said. Stop blaming injuries. We've been arguably better when more guys are hurt lol. Cade came back this year and we got worse. Injuries have very little to do with it. Poorly balanced roster with no wings, vets that play zero defense to go with young guys that don't know how, and a horrendous coach that doesn't want to be here. Injuries are like 10th on the list of reasons this team is terrible.
GreekAlex
Veteran

Post#18 » by GreekAlex » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:21 pm

BDM22 wrote:
kpt wrote:"Taken a little longer because injuries" orrrrr personelle, team make up, and drafting (aside from the gimmies)

This was the worst thing he said. Stop blaming injuries. We've been arguably better when more guys are hurt lol. Cade came back this year and we got worse. Injuries have very little to do with it. Poorly balanced roster with no wings, vets that play zero defense to go with young guys that don't know how, and a horrendous coach that doesn't want to be here. Injuries are like 10th on the list of reasons this team is terrible.

Hey Troy, was your most expensive offseason acquisition Joe Harris injured or did you miss the memo last year that his previous injuries had left him cooked?
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man

Post#19 » by MortSahlfan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:28 pm

Bagley didn't seem to go to the hoop for alley-oops after he got a contract extension.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,121

Post#20 » by tmorgan » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:00 pm

I still like Weaver more than most — this trade deadline pushed him up to “ok” in my eyes — but I absolutely refuse to watch or listen to him speak. Just terrible.

Return to Detroit Pistons