ImageImageImage

Duren watch. Just in case you missed it.

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 11,005

Duren watch. Just in case you missed it. 

Post#1 » by zeebneeb » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:03 pm

So I have been paying close attention to Jalen Durens rebounding numbers this year, and his growth, and I figured let's make a thread about the man.

CURRENT REBOUNDING LEADERS:

1.Domantas Sabonis-13.2 (10.1D 3.1O)35.5mpg

2.Rudy Gobert-12.5 (9.0D 3.5O)33.4mpg

(Tie)3.Jalen Duren-12.2 (8.8D 3.4O)30.4mpg

(Tie)3.Nikola Jokic-12.2 (9.1D 3.0O)33.8mpg

Absolutely impressive, but when you factor in Durens age(turned 20 just 85 days ago), and minutes, it becomes ridiculous. How ridiculous you ask?

The youngest player to ever lead the league in rebounding was Dwight Howard. He was 22 years and 130 days old. Howard that season averaged 14.2 (10.8D 3.4O) in 37.7mpg

But wait, it gets even more ridiculous.

If Duren, who is currently sitting at 30.4mpg, was playing 36mpg, he would be averaging 14.4 (10.4D 4.0O).

Because of all the trades, and Duren just exploding right now, his minutes are going to continue to climb, and if he stays healthy, could end up as the youngest player to ever lead the league in rebounds.

I'm pretty confident that he will do it, providing health, and that his minutes are ticking up, and he's had two 20/20 games in the past few weeks, and just had an 18 rebound game last night.

So far, here are Jalen Durens stats for the year;

14.3 PPG
12.2 RPG
2.5 APG
0.8 BPG
0.4 SPG
2.0 Turns

0.742 FT%
.641 FG%

Per whitehops, I forgot to add rebounding percentage. (sorry about that)

Current leader:

1.Jalen Duren-22.5%
2.(tie) Jusuf Nurkic 21.5%
2.(tie) Rudy Gobert 21.5%

Absolute monster. Can he lead the league in rebounds, and become the youngest to ever do it?

Let's find out! (Turns out those Howard comps were decently accurate, save for the blocks, but I got a theory on that)
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,764

Re: Duren watch. Just in case you missed it. 

Post#2 » by Cowology » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:27 pm

Numbers are super inflated in todays league. I like the kid, but take things like pace into context.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,548

Post#3 » by whitehops » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:39 pm

duren would have to average 14.7 boards a game in our last 30 games to beat sabonis' 13.2 RPG.

Cowology wrote:Numbers are super inflated in todays league. I like the kid, but take things like pace into context.

he's #1 in the league in rebound percentage and his rebound % is better than any of dwight's orlando days.

drummond is the only player with a better rebound % but he doesn't qualify minute-wise, and he has the best career rebound percentage in nba history.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,090

Post#4 » by joedumars1 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:14 pm

I love duren, but I loved dre 1-2 years longer than I should’ve. I’m just saying I hope he is no Dre. I haven’t watched many pistons games, so I can’t tell if he has any of Dre bad attributes, doesn’t seem like it tho, don’t see to many people bitching about him
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,377

Post#5 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 3:45 pm

Cowology wrote:Numbers are super inflated in todays league. I like the kid, but take things like pace into context.

Leading the league is pretty relevant in any era.
Patrick27
Junior
And1: 107

Post#6 » by Patrick27 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 4:04 pm

His rebounding numbers do seem a bit inflated because most of the others on the floor with him are poor rebounders. I never feel like he's tearing rebounds away from other people. Instead, he gets the ones that bounce his way.

He doesn't have that Rodman/Wallace rebounding sixth sense where he is always in the right space, or stealing rebounds from opposing players. He doesn't seem elite in boxing out. He's just grabbing the ones that come his way.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,377

Post#7 » by Kalamazoo317 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:07 pm

Ausar, Cade, and Ivey are all solid rebounders for their positions
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,322

Post#8 » by Moses ShamMoses » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:30 pm

I was surprised to see Jalen's points and rebounding numbers so high. And doing it in 30 minutes is impressive. Not to be a negative Nancy, but I was also surprised to see he only averages .8 blocks per game. I'd trade some of those rebounds for more blocks/rim protection.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
kierkegaard
Freshman
And1: 39

Post#9 » by kierkegaard » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:41 pm

joedumars1 wrote:I love duren, but I loved dre 1-2 years longer than I should’ve. I’m just saying I hope he is no Dre. I haven’t watched many pistons games, so I can’t tell if he has any of Dre bad attributes, doesn’t seem like it tho, don’t see to many people bitching about him

Dre vs Duren: night 'n' day
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#10 » by DetroitSho » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:43 pm

Patrick27 wrote:His rebounding numbers do seem a bit inflated because most of the others on the floor with him are poor rebounders. I never feel like he's tearing rebounds away from other people. Instead, he gets the ones that bounce his way.

He doesn't have that Rodman/Wallace rebounding sixth sense where he is always in the right space, or stealing rebounds from opposing players. He doesn't seem elite in boxing out. He's just grabbing the ones that come his way.
These days, people just love being loud and wrong. I swear.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,061

Post#11 » by Snakebites » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:01 pm

I’ve always been high on Duren but am more interested to see him develop into a legit rim protector than I am in seeing him lead the league in rebounds.

And yeah, I know that’s not an either/or deal.

I already know he’s a great rebounder and like his offensive game as a roll man and even in the odd post-up. But the greatest potential for him to help this team grow is through improvement on the defensive end.
keepitrealhomes
Sophomore
And1: 141

Post#12 » by keepitrealhomes » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:11 pm

SVG literally ushered in small ball and the 4-out offense.
joedumars1
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,090

Post#13 » by joedumars1 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:17 pm

kierkegaard wrote:
joedumars1 wrote:I love duren, but I loved dre 1-2 years longer than I should’ve. I’m just saying I hope he is no Dre. I haven’t watched many pistons games, so I can’t tell if he has any of Dre bad attributes, doesn’t seem like it tho, don’t see to many people bitching about him

I pray that’s correct. They do seem different, just little scary with having Dre. I’m a lions fan also, so they’ve kinda trained my mind don’t get my hopes up to much.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,410

Post#14 » by mattao313 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:19 pm

Who cares protect the rim and don't get bullied but 7 footers and I'll be happy.

Sent from my SM-A528B using RealGM mobile app
Championships
breezypeezy
Senior
And1: 305

Post#15 » by breezypeezy » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:21 pm

"duren would have to average 14.7 boards a game in our last 30 games to beat sabonis' 13.2 RPG"
^^^
Presumes Sabonis actually finishes year at 13.2, who is to say his average doesnt trend slightly down over the last months and that he doesnt only finish at 12.9 or 12.8 boards?

It will be challenging for Duren to close that gap but he might make a race out of it if Sabonis slips off a bit and Duren continues to come on strong.
kierkegaard
Freshman
And1: 39

Post#16 » by kierkegaard » Sun Feb 11, 2024 7:49 pm

joedumars1 wrote:
kierkegaard wrote:

I pray that’s correct. They do seem different, just little scary with having Dre. I’m a lions fan also, so they’ve kinda trained my mind don’t get my hopes up to much.

I hear ya re both Dre and Lions.

I just get completely different vibes re Duren. First, Dre lacked mental fortitude, which I don't see lacking in Duren. As well I look at free throw form to determine shooting potential. Duren's form + his FT numbers suggest that he has the capacity to develop a nice mid-range game. Despite his impressive athletic profile, Dre just didn't have that in him.

I will admit, as some others seem to suggest, that Duren's impressive rebound numbers may reflect a smaller league as much as rebound prowess. So in my mind there are still some things for Duren to prove. But at only 20 years old, there's a lot of time for growth.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#17 » by Uncle Mxy » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:09 pm

We had the best rebounder of this generation in Drummond. He's still the best. He can't crack a starting lineup.

There's more important things than rebounding titles.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#18 » by DetroitSho » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:48 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:We had the best rebounder of this generation in Drummond. He's still the best. He can't crack a starting lineup.

There's more important things than rebounding titles.
What exactly is the point of your post? This thread is specifically to point out Duren's rebounding prowess. Nobody made Duren All-NBA, an All-Star or a HOF'er in this thread because of his rebounding. I'm sure 100% of the fans are well aware there are more important things than rebounding FFS.

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 11,005

Post#19 » by zeebneeb » Sun Feb 11, 2024 9:07 pm

As i stated in my OP, I also have a theory on why Durens block numbers are low, when, he has showed that he can, and has in spectacular fashion, protected the rim, on numerous occasions. (Portland being one of those spectacular fashions).

Duren has twisted his ankles numerous times since entering the league, and if you watch him play, he is very, very aware of where his feet are going to land.

I believe that during the game, he's in his head, worrying about twisting his ankle, as when you block shots, your usually going for maximum extension, with complete disregard for your landing space.

This may sound stupid, but as someone who has twisted their ankles(not joking)perhaps 20 times, all serious, I am hyper cognizant of where my next step is.

Just a thought.

As for the downer comments about Duren, whether it be about era, defense, e.t.c., sure. Everyone has an opinion, no problem.

Just be aware, it's not bad, to have nice things, and for a 20 year old to be this dominant on the boards, is exceedingly rare.

Enjoy it for what it is.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#20 » by Uncle Mxy » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:30 pm

DetroitSho wrote:What exactly is the point of your post? This thread is specifically to point out Duren's rebounding prowess. Nobody made Duren All-NBA, an All-Star or a HOF'er in this thread because of his rebounding. I'm sure 100% of the fans are well aware there are more important things than rebounding FFS.RealGM mobile app

I get bad flashbacks of Drummond when I hear about what a great a rebounder Duren is... call it PTSD.

I'm happy for Duren, am hoping he makes it to the next level despite this year's clownshow of a front office.

Return to Detroit Pistons