ImageImageImage

Is the Blaha/Kelser homerism wearing thin?

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,224

Is the Blaha/Kelser homerism wearing thin? 

Post#1 » by Laimbeer » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:41 pm

I realize they aren't going to completely fry the Pistons, but I so rarely hear criticism when it's very clearly warranted - bonehead plays, lack of concentration, questionable coaching, etc.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,992

Re: Is the Blaha/Kelser homerism wearing thin? 

Post#2 » by zeebneeb » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:00 pm

Laimbeer wrote:I realize they aren't going to completely fry the Pistons, but I so rarely hear criticism when it's very clearly warranted - bonehead plays, lack of concentration, questionable coaching, etc.
Other commentators are a little more harsh it seems on their own team, and openly question some moves by coaches, or players.

I watch a ton of NBA games, and the Piston guys, all of them, are way, way to nice in never questioning the team.

Yes, it has worn thin, for me at least.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,158

Post#3 » by bstein14 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:28 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:I realize they aren't going to completely fry the Pistons, but I so rarely hear criticism when it's very clearly warranted - bonehead plays, lack of concentration, questionable coaching, etc.
Other commentators are a little more harsh it seems on their own team, and openly question some moves by coaches, or players.

I watch a ton of NBA games, and the Piston guys, all of them, are way, way to nice in never questioning the team.

Yes, it has worn thin, for me at least.

They literally fly on the team plane with the players which I didn't know previously... So they essentially are team employees and friends with the players so its not like they are going to be some unbiased duo reporting on the games. That said, you'd hope the beat reporters are more unbiased in their reporting of the ins and outs of the organization, players, coaching, etc.... that's where we shouldn't be getting the homer-ism we get from the broadcast team.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,376

Post#4 » by Spider156 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:47 pm

I stopped listening to Kelser and Blaha. Even the Charlotte announcer sounds better.

I’m gonna go ahead and say it

I don’t think I hate but I definitely can’t stand anything Pistons. From top to bottom. I can’t stand Gores. I can’t stand Weaver. I can’t stand Kelser. I do appreciate Blaha still though. I can’t stand the players, can’t stand Stewart Ivey even Duren. I don’t care what numbers he puts up, the guy is NOT interested in playing defense. The only guy I truly care about is Cade. Next up to ME is Monty, I don’t mind him. Why? Monty is literally the ONLY successful person in the whole organization top to bottom. Fans want him out? I’m starting to not stand the fans either. We’re all confused. This isn’t our job to fix this team. So I don’t blame fans. I blame the whole organization top to bottom including Kelser and Blaha not criticizing anything.
Defense wins championships
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man
And1: 497

Post#5 » by MortSahlfan » Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:54 pm

I love Blaha. He actually said (the last game Cade didn't play), "This is tough to watch" (being down so big in the 1st quarter, especially turnovers).. I love his references, his love for the team, his longevity. I loved he and Laimbeer - my favorite, and for me, the game suffers on those few games he misses. No way I could listen to Johnny Kane. I'd mute the game instead.
smann7
Sophomore
And1: 156

Post#6 » by smann7 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:37 pm

I’ll listen and enjoy Blaha until the day I can’t. “Count that baby and the foul” takes me back to my childhood.

Johnny Kane on the other hand makes me want to puke in my mouth.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,550

Post#7 » by ComboGuardCity » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:16 pm

I would say the opposite. We have the most even keeled announcers in the league
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 15,055

Post#8 » by Snakebites » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:30 pm

You can’t be honest about this team if you’re covering them. Not when the only honest words would discourage any rational person from watching.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,864

Post#9 » by theBigLip » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:37 pm

The only good announcers are at a national level. They are not beholden to a team. They do have to tiptoe around relationships w individual players, but not so much owners and GMs.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#10 » by theBigLip » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:42 pm

Spider156 wrote:

I stopped listening to Kelsey and Blaha. Even the Charlotte announcer sounds better.

I don’t think I hate but I definitely can’t stand anything Pistons. From top to bottom. I can’t stand Gores. I can’t stand Weaver. I can’t stand the Kelser. I do appreciate Blaha still though. I can’t stand the players, can’t stand Stewart Ivey even Duren. I don’t care what numbers he puts up, the guy is NOT interested in playing defense. The only guy I truly care about is Cade. Next up to ME is Monty, I don’t mind him. Why? Monty is literally the ONLY successful person in the whole organization top to bottom. Fans want him out? I’m starting to not stand the fans either. We’re all confused. This isn’t our job to fix this team. So I don’t blame fans. I blame the whole organization top to bottom including Kelser and Blaha not criticizing anything.

Cade, Ivey and Stewart are 22. Thompson is 21. And Duren is 20. Just curious what you think at what age do you peak at in the NBA?
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,955

Post#11 » by Uncle Mxy » Mon Apr 1, 2024 12:28 am

MortSahlfan wrote:I love Blaha. He actually said (the last game Cade didn't play), "This is tough to watch" (being down so big in the 1st quarter, especially turnovers).. I love his references, his love for the team, his longevity. I loved he and Laimbeer - my favorite, and for me, the game suffers on those few games he misses. No way I could listen to Johnny Kane. I'd mute the game instead.

Agreed 100%!
Blaha and Laimbeer are my "dream team" Pistons announcers. I like Special K, but I think a "nice + incisive" pairing works better than a "nice + nice" pairing. Swap Blaha for "Smooth" Johnny Kane and it's a "nice + barf" pairing.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 475

Post#12 » by Crymson » Mon Apr 1, 2024 3:17 am

I hate to put it this way, but I think Kelser and Blaha are sort of washed up. They're both old and have slowed down -- this becomes an issue even with very renowned sportscasters; see Marv Albert and Bob Cole for recent examples -- and they're also remnants of a bygone era of sports coverage. They're all about hype rather than analysis. It's now a very scientific game which they don't examine with an analytical eye -- Kelser occasionally tries, but he clearly doesn't do his homework -- or from a critical standpoint. They're still focused primarily upon generating as much excitement from any given play as possible. That might still be okay if they were each in their respective primes, but they're both far past those.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is Blaha's last season with the Pistons. Maybe Kelser's as well, though I think it's likely that they'll keep him on for one more season rather than replace them both at the same time.

theBigLip wrote:Cade, Ivey and Stewart are 22. Thompson is 21. And Duren is 20. Just curious what you think at what age do you peak at in the NBA?

I believe he was referring primarily to Duren, whose level of effort on defense declined from good last season to pretty good early this season to plumbing the depths of maximum-pout Drummond at times lately. It has most often ranged from poor to despicable, and his decision making on defense has been troublesome even on the rare occasions when effort hasn't been a problem. It's an issue with potentially enormous implications for the rebuild, and that's on top of it being unpleasant and frustrating to watch.
Spider156
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Spider156 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:57 am

MortSahlfan wrote:I love Blaha. He actually said (the last game Cade didn't play), "This is tough to watch" (being down so big in the 1st quarter, especially turnovers).. I love his references, his love for the team, his longevity. I loved he and Laimbeer - my favorite, and for me, the game suffers on those few games he misses. No way I could listen to Johnny Kane. I'd mute the game instead.

I hate Johnny Kane with all my heart even more than Weaver. It’s not can’t stand with Johnny Kane. It’s just pure hatred.
Spider156
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Spider156 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:04 am

theBigLip wrote:
Spider156 wrote:

I stopped listening to Kelsey and Blaha. Even the Charlotte announcer sounds better.

I don’t think I hate but I definitely can’t stand anything Pistons. From top to bottom. I can’t stand Gores. I can’t stand Weaver. I can’t stand the Kelser. I do appreciate Blaha still though. I can’t stand the players, can’t stand Stewart Ivey even Duren. I don’t care what numbers he puts up, the guy is NOT interested in playing defense. The only guy I truly care about is Cade. Next up to ME is Monty, I don’t mind him. Why? Monty is literally the ONLY successful person in the whole organization top to bottom. Fans want him out? I’m starting to not stand the fans either. We’re all confused. This isn’t our job to fix this team. So I don’t blame fans. I blame the whole organization top to bottom including Kelser and Blaha not criticizing anything.

Cade, Ivey and Stewart are 22. Thompson is 21. And Duren is 20. Just curious what you think at what age do you peak at in the NBA?

I know very well the reason we suck is because of this reason. Why? Duren that’s why. I knew he wasn’t gonna protect the paint this season. What I didn’t know was the whole league stepped it up scoring the ball cuz of the rules change, it’s a double whammy. So I saw a losing season I just didn’t think it was gonna be this bad. I actually would rather keep Stewart because he’s actually a competent NBA two way player. The reason I’d trade him is because he’s worth more to another team like Celtics Mavs than he is to us and I’d rather save money on the contract and get a real wing that can dribble off the catch like Reid. Ivey? I’ve been disappointed in him since the beginning of the season, I agreed he should be coming off the bench early in the season, that was good coaching. The problem was starting Killian. Oh wait no. The problem is we have a jack*** GM who didn’t get these rookies ANY veterans and kept Bagley killian livers all one season too long. You dont get wiseman and keep bagley, what? Then he trades Bagley and waives who he traded for? What? Haha this guy is a lunatic!! I can’t believe it, 30+ players play this season, what a piece of ****.
Spider156
Head Coach

Post#15 » by Spider156 » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:11 am

Crymson wrote:I hate to put it this way, but I think Kelser and Blaha are sort of washed up. They're both old and have slowed down -- this becomes an issue even with very renowned sportscasters; see Marv Albert and Bob Cole for recent examples -- and they're also remnants of a bygone era of sports coverage. They're all about hype rather than analysis. It's now a very scientific game which they don't examine with an analytical eye -- Kelser occasionally tries, but he clearly doesn't do his homework -- or from a critical standpoint. They're still focused primarily upon generating as much excitement from any given play as possible. That might still be okay if they were each in their respective primes, but they're both far past those.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is Blaha's last season with the Pistons. Maybe Kelser's as well, though I think it's likely that they'll keep him on for one more season rather than replace them both at the same time.

theBigLip wrote:Cade, Ivey and Stewart are 22. Thompson is 21. And Duren is 20. Just curious what you think at what age do you peak at in the NBA?

I believe he was referring primarily to Duren, whose level of effort on defense declined from good last season to pretty good early this season to plumbing the depths of maximum-pout Drummond at times lately. It has most often ranged from poor to despicable, and his decision making on defense has been troublesome even on the rare occasions when effort hasn't been a problem. It's an issue with potentially enormous implications for the rebuild, and that's on top of it being unpleasant and frustrating to watch.

I’m glad you see that with Duren. Here’s the thing, I’m the last person to deny someone’s capability. I believe Duren is capable of becoming Adebayo and even Dwight Howard. The difference is simple, Dwight Howard wanted to be dominant on defense. Duren has no interest. I see wiseman contest shots at the rim way more than Duren. It gets Wiseman in foul trouble which is most likely why Duren stopped contesting shots. Because he fouls out and he needs to be on the floor. It’s not a lack of capability, it’s a mindset. He gets excited over alley oops sticking his tongue out (naturally) but blocks, contested shots doesn’t strike his fancy. It’s just awareness, wiseman can get his numbers too. I’m ready to move on before the league figures out he can’t shoot! Having Valanciunas on the team would do wonders for our defense and shooting, he can easily become our Sabonis! Having Alex Sarr starting at 7’1” at center is a lot more interesting considering he’s a willing jump shooter. I appreciate talent for what it is, Duren is a dime a dozen. I’m just not impressed! I’ll tell you what, he’s a good free throw shooter, I don’t see why he can’t shoot midrange. Maybe next year, I’d rather not wait, we need a starting PF badly. We should’ve kept Jerami Grant imo.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#16 » by theBigLip » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:30 am

Crymson wrote:

Agree that Duren playing quality D is essential to the rebuild. He came a long way on post scoring this year. I hope he can make that same progress on the defensive end next year. Again, he’s only 20. He hasn’t peaked yet. Not even close.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,283

Post#17 » by MrBigShot » Mon Apr 1, 2024 5:51 am

I love blaha and special K and wouldn't want to listen to any other duo calling pistons games.

The problem is that pistons games suck and have for quite a long time now.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
MortSahlfan
Sixth Man
And1: 497

Post#18 » by MortSahlfan » Mon Apr 1, 2024 11:42 am

Spider156 wrote:

I hate Johnny Kane with all my heart even more than Weaver. It’s not can’t stand with Johnny Kane. It’s just pure hatred.

LOL, Mr. Silly Ass Grin "I'm on my 5th cup of coffee!"
I honestly MUTE when he's on, even if it's for 20 seconds. Great time for me to take a piss.
NYPiston
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,282

Post#19 » by NYPiston » Mon Apr 1, 2024 1:40 pm

Crymson
Rookie
And1: 475

Post#20 » by Crymson » Mon Apr 1, 2024 4:38 pm

theBigLip wrote:Agree that Duren playing quality D is essential to the rebuild. He came a long way on post scoring this year. I hope he can make that same progress on the defensive end next year. Again, he’s only 20. He hasn’t peaked yet. Not even close.

I'd argue that the presence of remarkable gaps in effort as a second-year player is a frightening warning sign. He's very willing to consistently go all-out on offense, but he very much seems to care a whole lot less about playing defense.

Return to Detroit Pistons