Ask Jeff Risdon a question thread

Moderator: studcrackers

Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,977

Re: Ask Jeff Risdon a question thread 

Post#221 » by Manhattan Project » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:25 pm

Wondering about the Supplemental draft, where do you expect Pryor/Floyd to be drafted and any inclination as to where?
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#222 » by Icness » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:53 pm

Manhattan Project wrote:Wondering about the Supplemental draft, where do you expect Pryor/Floyd to be drafted and any inclination as to where?

Best guess is Pryor goes in the 4th round. Cleveland and Pittsburgh seem the most likely candidates, maybe the Jets. Of course New England has far more draft picks than they can use...

Just saw that McShay has "insider" info that the Colts will use a 5th on Pryor. I think that is complete BS.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
WAYSA
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#223 » by WAYSA » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:17 am

Icness wrote:That's true of a lot of big-school prospects. The Sanchize had a great college line and he's turned out pretty well, but Leinart had a similar line and he's a backup.

It's one of the reasons people got down on Ryan Mallett last year. Arkansas had a good line but they got exposed against Auburn and Ohio State and Mallett was brutal when pressured.

What scouts really like to see is a guy that can handle playing with a substandard line. Josh Freeman is a great example of a guy that was more ready to handle NFL pressure because he spent most of his K-State career dodging defenders in his face and disrupting his timing. It's why I liked Kaepernick a lot in this last draft, and Colt McCoy in the prior one. Some people put Jake Locker in that status because his line was dreadful, but Locker makes Tim Tebow look like Peyton Manning in terms of accuracy.

Cutler got a lot of praise for this as well coming out Vandy.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#224 » by SpeedyG » Thu Dec 1, 2011 7:52 pm

Blackmon or Claiborne?
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#225 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Wed Dec 7, 2011 8:52 am

How does scouts approach FBS-FBS and FBS-FCS transfers. Obviously the stigma of "couldn't hack it" goes away from some players (Joe Flacco) but how much are reasons for transfer scrutinized at the end of the day?
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#226 » by Icness » Wed Dec 7, 2011 4:27 pm

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:How does scouts approach FBS-FBS and FBS-FCS transfers. Obviously the stigma of "couldn't hack it" goes away from some players (Joe Flacco) but how much are reasons for transfer scrutinized at the end of the day?

It depends on the situation. Like, if there's a coaching change or academic issues involved it isn't much of a negative. System misfits (like Boren going to OSU from Michigan) are a little more troubling but not a huge deal.

There are two guys in this draft where I think it will negatively impact them: Aaron Corp (remember him?) and Janoris Jenkins. They both transferred down to FCS, Corp because Barkley wiped the floor with him at USC and Jenkins because he was a pothead criminal at Florida. I watchd Corp some this year at Richmond and he looked great; the arm, legs, poise, and accuracy are all worthy of at least 3rd round consideration, but he's not going above the 6th round because of the stigma on him.

Jenkins is the most talented corner in this draft, better than Claiborne IMO. But right now I have a hard time seeing him go top 20.

One guy to watch to gauge this year is Keith Nichol. He started at Oklahoma as a more prominent recruit than Sam Bradford but lost out to him. Went home to MSU, where he initially committed, but couldn't beat out Kirk Cousins. Moved to WR and became a solid player, probably worthy of 4th/5th round status if you factor in his special teams, sort of a more prominent Julian Edelman. But I know a lot of people still think of him as the guy that left Oklahoma in a tizzy and then couldn't beat Kirk Cousins, and not a productive wideout with glue for hands and possibly the best blocking wideout in the nation.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#227 » by Icness » Wed Dec 7, 2011 4:28 pm

SpeedyG wrote:Blackmon or Claiborne?

Claiborne because he's more consistently awesome.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,619

Post#228 » by Da Schwab » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:58 pm

In the same line as PNF's question:

Who are the small school (FBS/DII) guys we could be hearing about when the Combine and Draft roll around?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#229 » by Icness » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:45 pm

Da Schwab wrote:In the same line as PNF's question:

Who are the small school (FBS/DII) guys we could be hearing about when the Combine and Draft roll around?

Ryan Steed, CB, Furman. Dominant at his level, almost never got thrown at this year. I watched two games this year, he saw exactly 3 passes--and pick sixed one of them. Reminds me of Antonio Cromartie, he'll be great at times but make you want to kill him other times.

Tom Compton, T, South Dakota. He could have started on any Big 10 team this year, made 2nd team FCS All America as an 18-year old freshman. NFL right tackle (only 6'3"), but he'll be solid right away.

Jonathan Grimes, RB, William & Mary. Watch the Steelers draft him in the middle rounds (Tomlin went there). Insanely productive in the CAA, the best FCS conference. A do-it-all back a la Fred Jackson.

Amini Silatolu, G, Midwestern State. Played a lot of tackle too. Has a Carl Nicks-like nastiness to his game. He's better than Will Rackley (Jags 3rd rounder), could really rise up once more people see him. He could get as high as 2nd round.

Aston Whiteside, LB, Abilene Christian. Plays end at ACU but will move to backer, perhaps a 3-4 ILB. Thick dude with good instincts, pretty linear though. Poor man's David Harris, maybe.

Asa Jackson, CB, Cal Poly. Legit 4.35 speed, gambling-type corner with great PR skills. Big-time tackling numbers for a smallish guy (5'10", 180 soaking wet).

Brian Quick, WR, App State. I find him overrated but he's a legit 6'5", 225 pounds and runs in the low 4.4s. Very raw as a route runner and lets too many balls get to his pads, but his measurables will get some GMs hard.

Renard Williams, DT, Eastern Washington. Haven't seen him this year but last year when watching Taiwan Jones he leapt off the film. Very physical 0 or 1 technique (NT) with outstanding lower body strength.

Aaron Corp, Richmond. Yeah Lakeshow, that guy...I saw three Richmond games this year. Corp was 78-93 for over 800 yards, 11 TDs, 1 INT and three of the incompletions were drops. West Coast system passer. I'm not a huge fan (I see a less charismatic Colt McCoy) but I know some that see him as a 6th/7th rounder.

Jeremy Jones, CB/S, Wayne State. Dominated in the GLIAC, the SEC of DII. Played safety there but has the build (5'10", 185) of a slot/nickel CB. Smart dude, wants to be an eye doctor after he's done playing football. HS teammate of Keith Nichol. Root for this kid, I've seen him since he was a freshman in HS. WSU is playing in the DII title game this weekend so you can check him out.

Jonathan Hollins, DT, Texas State. Played pretty well this year despite being hurt. Big and nasty hombre.

Charles Deas, DT, Shaw. Tearing up the HBCU AS practices this week. I've never seen him play.

Delano Johnson, LB, Bowie State. Same as above. Nolan Nawrocki--my most trusted professional draftnik--really likes him.

Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana has legit NFL size and skills but got arrested around Halloween for assaulting a cop, his second arrest in 2 years, and he's missed games with injury.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#230 » by Da Schwab » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:39 pm

Good looks, Ic.

I've heard of Grimes before. I've got a buddy from home who plays for W&M (Alex Gottlieb, a TE) and he keeps me up on some of his play.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#231 » by Icness » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:55 pm

Da Schwab wrote:Good looks, Ic.

I've heard of Grimes before. I've got a buddy from home who plays for W&M (Alex Gottlieb, a TE) and he keeps me up on some of his play.

When I was in that area W&M was a joke program, not sure they won more than 2 games in any year. Good on them for rising up in a very tough conference. Every team in the CAA has been ranked at one point over the last three seasons.

I'm waiting to see which guys win up at which AS games. I'll be in Mobile for the Senior Bowl and Little Rock for the NFLPA game (used to be Texas vs Nation). There's another one in NoCal that is supposed to attract underclassmen, and another one in Florida that so far seems pretty unorganized aside from big-name coaches.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#232 » by Da Schwab » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:28 pm

Nick Toon, better or worse than his daddy as an NFL prospect?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#233 » by Icness » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:42 pm

Da Schwab wrote:Nick Toon, better or worse than his daddy as an NFL prospect?

Not even close to the old man. Al Toon was one of the greatest collegiate wideouts of the last 30 years. Arguably the best catcher of the football this side of Cris Carter. He was taller (6'4") than Nick (6'2"), longer, faster, and stronger. Had he not suffered all the concussions I absolutely believe he would be a no-brainer HOFer. He was easily as good as Tim Brown and unequivocally better than Michael Irvin.

Nick is a decent prospect but Al went #10 overall in an era where top 10 wideouts were uncommon; there were about two for every three years of drafting from 76-85.

FWIW Toon's draft year was fantastic for wideouts. He went #10, Eddie Brown went #13, Jerry Rice #16, Vance Johnson #31, Andre Reed #86, and Eric Martin was a 7th rounder. Brown was one of the best deep threats of the late 80s before his knee blew out, averaged 24 ypc in one year that remains the best YPC season in NFL history. He was the Rookie of the Year that year too. Johnson was Elway's #1 receiver in Denver's first Super Bowl run era. Martin basically wrote the Saints receiving record book and still holds a lot of them.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#234 » by Da Schwab » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:36 pm

So is Nick a late rounder, or an UFA?

Also, since I've had some free time I've had the chance to watch the first few bowls. A TE from Louisiana-Lafayette, Ladarius Green, caught my eye. Big dude, 6-6 230, and had some pretty decent break speed for a TE. Any looks on him?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#235 » by Icness » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:03 pm

Da Schwab wrote:So is Nick a late rounder, or an UFA?

Also, since I've had some free time I've had the chance to watch the first few bowls. A TE from Louisiana-Lafayette, Ladarius Green, caught my eye. Big dude, 6-6 230, and had some pretty decent break speed for a TE. Any looks on him?

Nick should be a 4th-5th rounder, probably will be a 2nd or early 3rd. The league is oversaturated with 6'2", 4.5ish wideouts and he'll be another one. People will buy into the name recognition and that he played in a major BCS program with a pro-friendly offense.

I like Green quite a bit. He's my #4 tight end. Real smooth receiver, has some open field speed, good hands. His stock is rising from what I can tell. He's another guy that can only help himself by doing the Senioe Bowl/Shrine games.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#236 » by Da Schwab » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:34 pm

Good stuff, Ic. I'll definitely be asking more questions as I get to watch more bowls.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,399

Post#237 » by RiotPunch » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:40 pm

This has probably been brought up, but any new word on whether or not Jarvis Jones will declare or go back to Georgia?
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#238 » by Icness » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:22 am

It doesn't sound like he's coming out. He registered for classes, which is something about 10% of guys that are leaving actually do. Georgia is tough to get info from until after their bowl game, not a scouting-friendly staff during the season. I would strongly advise him to stay in school anyways; they're going to be no worse than preseason #5 and can easily roll an even weaker SEC East next year.
Da Schwab
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#239 » by Da Schwab » Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:54 pm

What are your thoughts on Casey Pachall from TCU? I know he's not going to jump, or anything, but the kid looks like he could become the next big name for college QBs.

He actually reminds me a lot of Alex Smith in every aspect of his game. Same arm, same running style and same just about the same size.

Thoughts?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#240 » by Icness » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:40 pm

Da Schwab wrote:What are your thoughts on Casey Pachall from TCU? I know he's not going to jump, or anything, but the kid looks like he could become the next big name for college QBs.

He actually reminds me a lot of Alex Smith in every aspect of his game. Same arm, same running style and same just about the same size.

Thoughts?

He has some ability. Alex Smith is not a bad coparison but I think Pachall has a better temperament to handle adversity. He doesn't have Smith's ball velocity or open field speed.

Return to NFL Draft