The Draft Thread

Moderator: studcrackers

Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Re: The Draft Thread 

Post#741 » by Icness » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:10 pm

I'll buy that Wilson might have gone in the 3rd. But there wasn't anither team that was going to touch Ebert before the late 7th. I do know that the Pats forced the Lions to trade up for Greenwood, so I guess there's that.

I'm going to enjoy watching all the prominent talking heads eat their own feces when Chandler Jones is a rotational end getting 3.5 sacks a year in 3 years. Nobody liked him until everyone suddenly did and it sure as hell didn't come from anything he did on the field. I vastly prefer Bruce Irvin.
It's not whether you win or lose, it's how good you look playing the game
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,209

Post#742 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:18 pm

Any thoughts on the Texans draft? Can Posey be the #2 WR they've been looking for forever? Can we please finally say goodbye to Mr. Jones?
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#743 » by TSE » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:27 pm

Posey was a mega-reach, I thought they could have had a decent draft if they just replaced that pick. Granted I don't know much about Posey, but I've seen the WR they took almost 2 rounds later rated higher than Posey on a lot of rankings boards. That's fine if you think you found a gem, but you should find a gem for every round and they should have found a commonly ranked 3rd rounder that surely wouldn't be available and a guy like a Sean Spence would have no chance of dropping to the later rounds, but perhaps a guy like Posey could have.

Don't they need LB help anyhow? And then to boot they took some low profile OT and a K in place of very interesting LB choices that were still around in the 5th and the 6th. Bullock seems like one of the better kickers so not a huge deal there but they should have gambled a little longer on filling their Kicker need. So questionable 3-5-6 picks, but good 1-3-4-4 picks.

My draft grade for them is a C, and it's only that high because almost every other team bombed their drafts too.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,077

Post#744 » by Pharmcat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:37 pm

i really enjoyed the draft

that is all :)
TSE
Banned User

Post#745 » by TSE » Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:58 pm

Pharmcat wrote:i really enjoyed the draft

I didn't really. I think ESPN and the NFL Network do a lousy job of recapping the picks. They profile many lower profile players seemingly at random but then they completely don't even talk about some of the higher profile players and picks. They should have clips and information/analysis on every single pick in the draft, and a better system of communicating team needs and how each additional pick contributes to the overall team drafting map. It would also be nice for the fans to learn about and be introduced to all of these new players by having at least one sentence or clip of effort contributed in the very least. It's a horrible presentation from an enjoyability standpoint imo.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,077

Post#746 » by Pharmcat » Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:54 pm

TSE wrote:
Pharmcat wrote:i really enjoyed the draft

I didn't really. I think ESPN and the NFL Network do a lousy job of recapping the picks. They profile many lower profile players seemingly at random but then they completely don't even talk about some of the higher profile players and picks. They should have clips and information/analysis on every single pick in the draft, and a better system of communicating team needs and how each additional pick contributes to the overall team drafting map. It would also be nice for the fans to learn about and be introduced to all of these new players by having at least one sentence or clip of effort contributed in the very least. It's a horrible presentation from an enjoyability standpoint imo.

thats why I ignore their "analysis" and just wait for Iceness to post his stuff
alwayslovetheceltics
Analyst
And1: 6

Post#747 » by alwayslovetheceltics » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:00 pm

CC and Jeff-
any truth to the rumor that the Chargers were going to pick Wilson the pick after NE (chargers pick was 49, Wilson was 48).

Also the Texans apparently liked him?

Celtics_Champs wrote:
Icness wrote:I'm doing behind-the-scenes digging today on some of the more questionable picks, like the Patriots two safeties, Cousins to WAS, pretty much every Lions pick after Ronnell Lewis, some of the fallers. Might take a few days as lots of the people I connect to are travelling and then taking their week off.

Report from Mike Reiss is that multiple teams were ready to pounce on Tavon Wilson.

I'm happy with there late round selections. My only fault was that the packers seemed to get the better of the patriots in the trades. Basically, a 2nd rounder for a late 3rd, 2 6ths and a 7. Fuggin steal.
TSE
Banned User

Post#748 » by TSE » Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:07 pm

Pharmcat wrote:
thats why I ignore their "analysis" and just wait for Iceness to post his stuff

Yeah but even he can't cover everybody. Plus it would be nice if Iceness had a staff of people that could look through the game tape of every single player that could possibly be drafted and edit out at least 15 seconds of their best footage so we could at least see a glimpse of them, and at least one lousy factoid about what makes the player stand out to deserve the right to be drafted. To me it's a big deal for any player to get drafted, that's news to me that needs reporting on, and on the magical box we call "television". There needs to be a specialized network just to cover this sport.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#749 » by Icness » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:54 pm

RaoulDuke79 wrote:Any thoughts on the Texans draft? Can Posey be the #2 WR they've been looking for forever? Can we please finally say goodbye to Mr. Jones?

Had Posey played all year with a QB that has any sort of accuracy he might have justified that pick. Maybe. I agree with TSE, I like Keshawn Martin more though they play different roles. Martin is Kevin Walter in this offense. Posey isn't nearly as explosive as Jones and carries some of the same knocks. Regardless of how much Posey brings to the table I think Jones is done in Houston. Don't forget about Lestar Jean from last year, the Texans love him.

Love Ben Jones for Houston. Immediately no worse than the top interior backup and can play all three inside OL positions, could capably start at any of them. I don't get Brandon Brooks. Like the player, not the scheme fit; he's a leaning mauler, not a mobile zone guy. My guess is he becomes a short-yardage situational sub and that's too early to take one of those. I like the Bullock pick, clutch local guy and they needed a kicker. I doubt Crick ever cracks the active roster, because the 2011 version of him was completely undraftable. Smart to pick up Case Keenum as a UDFA and he's similar to Yates, plus the UH angle doesn't hurt. I also like Desmond Marrow and Shawn Loiseau a lot. Loiseau could be the #3 ILB by the end of camp. The tackle from Mary Hardin Baylor is a Rick Smith special. I have never seen him play but I know Smith personally scouted him.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#750 » by Icness » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:57 pm

alwayslovetheceltics wrote:CC and Jeff-
any truth to the rumor that the Chargers were going to pick Wilson the pick after NE (chargers pick was 49, Wilson was 48).

Celtics_Champs wrote:Report from Mike Reiss is that multiple teams were ready to pounce on Tavon Wilson.

I'm happy with there late round selections. My only fault was that the packers seemed to get the better of the patriots in the trades. Basically, a 2nd rounder for a late 3rd, 2 6ths and a 7. Fuggin steal.

He was on Houston's radar but not until at least the 4th round. Can't speak for San Diego but they got a better player in Brandon Taylor some 20 picks later.

And I agree the Packers schooled the Pats on the trade front.
Bucksfans1and2
Banned User
And1: 189

Post#751 » by Bucksfans1and2 » Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:42 pm

Icness wrote:
alwayslovetheceltics wrote:CC and Jeff-

Celtics_Champs wrote:Report from Mike Reiss is that multiple teams were ready to pounce on Tavon Wilson.

He was on Houston's radar but not until at least the 4th round. Can't speak for San Diego but they got a better player in Brandon Taylor some 20 picks later.

And I agree the Packers schooled the Pats on the trade front.

60 for 92, 197, 224, and 235

300 for 147.6 on the trade value chart.

What the hell was happening in that room?
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#752 » by Icness » Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:28 pm

If you like to keep track, I got 82/100 in the top 100 picks. My list:
http://nflsfuture.com/2012/04/26/teamless-mock-draft/
That would have tied for 4th but I missed the submission deadline by like 20 minutes thanks to the manager of that website not posting it for some 30 hours after I sent it in.

Here's the full list of entrants:
http://huddlereport.com/Free/Top.100.Scores/2012.shtml
FakeScreenName123
RealGM
And1: 5,113

Post#753 » by FakeScreenName123 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:42 pm

Icness wrote:As bad as the Jaguars taking a punter in the 3rd round might be, the Patriots drafting Nate Ebner is easily the biggest reach. He was Ohio State's #7 safety. Not #7 on his jersey, but rather 7th on the depth chart at safety. He's a former elite rugby player that played exactly 3 snaps of non special teams in three years. He has one of the 5 fastest short-shuttle times ever recorded in workouts. It gets no more arrogant than Belichick drafting a rugby player specifically to play only special teams.

Why is that arrogant? I think it's pretty interesting to think outside the box like that.

Every year you don't like the patriots draft.

Most of the time they hit on someone late with those weird picks. As a fan, I'll take that. Especially this year, when late draft picks aren't going to really help a team that is in win- now mode with a bunch of young players already on the roster who are supposed to improve from last year. I wish they just drafted a first and two seconds.
Icness
NFL Analyst

Post#754 » by Icness » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:23 pm

FakeScreenName123 wrote:
Icness wrote:As bad as the Jaguars taking a punter in the 3rd round might be, the Patriots drafting Nate Ebner is easily the biggest reach. He was Ohio State's #7 safety. Not #7 on his jersey, but rather 7th on the depth chart at safety. He's a former elite rugby player that played exactly 3 snaps of non special teams in three years. He has one of the 5 fastest short-shuttle times ever recorded in workouts. It gets no more arrogant than Belichick drafting a rugby player specifically to play only special teams.

Why is that arrogant? I think it's pretty interesting to think outside the box like that.

Most of the time they hit on someone late with those weird picks. As a fan, I'll take that. Especially this year, when late draft picks aren't going to really help a team that is in win- now mode with a bunch of young players already on the roster who are supposed to improve from last year. I wish they just drafted a first and two seconds.

Just about every year my low opinion of the Patriots draft proves correct, and I liked a lot of last year's haul (Solder, Ridley, Cannon).

Taking a straight special teamer is just asinine considering the new kickoff rules and ongoing movement to eliminate kickoffs altogether. There's not one other team that would even consider drafting him, certainly not in the 6th round. One team I talked to literally did not know who he was when his name was called. The only reason to draft him there is arrogance that in the off chance he becomes a player you get to gloat about your prescience. I love Belichick but his draft strategy is just not working. I actually admire that he traded up this year for specific targets to change things up, my opinion of Jones nonwithstanding. They had to trade up to get him and pulled the trigger.
reeDfense
Sophomore

Post#755 » by reeDfense » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:42 pm

Icness wrote:
FakeScreenName123 wrote:

Just about every year my low opinion of the Patriots draft proves correct, and I liked a lot of last year's haul (Solder, Ridley, Cannon).

Taking a straight special teamer is just asinine considering the new kickoff rules and ongoing movement to eliminate kickoffs altogether. There's not one other team that would even consider drafting him, certainly not in the 6th round. One team I talked to literally did not know who he was when his name was called. The only reason to draft him there is arrogance that in the off chance he becomes a player you get to gloat about your prescience. I love Belichick but his draft strategy is just not working. I actually admire that he traded up this year for specific targets to change things up, my opinion of Jones nonwithstanding. They had to trade up to get him and pulled the trigger.

Meh we all know that BB is arrogant..the guy thinks he can win with anyone..i do give him props in the upper rounds though..Hightower and Jones are good players..i cant help but get the feeling that he intentionally traded up to get hightower just to screw tha ravens..i mean how much of a pressing need was hightower? he adressed the pass rush with jones..and what not but what about the defensive backfield? or perhaps a younger reciever such as jeffrey?it seems as if though BB being beaten in the super bowl twice by giants is bringin him down to earth a bit..but yes he still carriers a smug and arrogant attitude.
alwayslovetheceltics
Analyst

Post#756 » by alwayslovetheceltics » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:16 pm

the PATS started Tracy White in the superbowl. Getting the best linebacker fit on the board was an absolute need. Hightower will start from day 1 and be 3 down player. He can also provide pressure up the middle-something we haven't had in a long time. I think Jones will contribute on 3rd down next year but is really a developmental guy for the next year- as he is still really raw.

Meh we all know that BB is arrogant..the guy thinks he can win with anyone..i do give him props in the upper rounds though..Hightower and Jones are good players..i cant help but get the feeling that he intentionally traded up to get hightower just to screw tha ravens..i mean how much of a pressing need was hightower? he adressed the pass rush with jones..and what not but what about the defensive backfield? or perhaps a younger reciever such as jeffrey?it seems as if though BB being beaten in the super bowl twice by giants is bringin him down to earth a bit..but yes he still carriers a smug and arrogant attitude.
Roger Murdock
RealGM
And1: 4,886

Post#757 » by Roger Murdock » Tue May 1, 2012 12:08 am

FakeScreenName123 wrote:

I've watched literally every single game of Ebners college career and I never knew who he was. None of my friends who I went to OSU with knew who he was either.
ohara
Head Coach
And1: 167

Post#758 » by ohara » Wed May 2, 2012 10:28 pm

Charlotte Observer said the Panthers were planning to take Mark Barron at #9, But he went at #7. Kuechly was their fallback pick. Very interesting to hear that tidbit. Personally, I would have been happy with either of them. Think they will both be great.
[RCG]
Head Coach
And1: 135

Post#759 » by [RCG] » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:44 pm

Here are the measurements from the Senior Bowl:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/201 ... ables.html

Margus Hunt is a legit 6'8"
Fluker is 6'4" 355 lbs with 36 3/8" arms and a massive wingspan. Monster.
Quntion Patton is a disappointing 6' even.
Lane Johnson has nice length while Justin Pugh does not.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,772

Post#760 » by Cammo101 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:28 am

[RCG] wrote:Here are the measurements from the Senior Bowl:
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/201 ... ables.html

Margus Hunt is a legit 6'8"
Fluker is 6'4" 355 lbs with 36 3/8" arms and a massive wingspan. Monster.
Quntion Patton is a disappointing 6' even.
Lane Johnson has nice length while Justin Pugh does not.

Fluker is a guy who I can't ever figure out why he is a mid second round prospect. He is huge, mobile, and proven at the highest level. No idea why he is not a mid first round grade to most people.

Return to NFL Draft