Russell vs Johnson?

Moderator: studcrackers

Wade3Iverson
Head Coach
And1: 2

Russell vs Johnson? 

Post#1 » by Wade3Iverson » Mon Apr 2, 2007 2:26 am

Who do you thing is going to be better and who you gonna take with the first pick?

All the mocks currently have Russell at number 1 but I just dont see him on the same level Johnson.

Johnson is a physical specimen that runs a sub 4.4 and great hands/route running. He's one of those can't miss players....Russell, well not so much.
The best engine in the world is the vagina -- started with one finger, self-lubricating, takes any size piston and changes it's own oil every month. Pitty it's so temperamental
CB4_Toronto_Raptors
Bench Warmer
And1: 4

Re: Russell vs Johnson? 

Post#2 » by CB4_Toronto_Raptors » Mon Apr 2, 2007 3:28 am

Wade3Iverson wrote:Johnson is a physical specimen that runs a sub 4.4 and great hands/route running. He's one of those can't miss players....Russell, well not so much.

I agree here. CJ is the top WR prospect I've ever seen he's comparable to Randy Moss. I also really like Russell he's a big QB that can toss the ball 70+ yards. He's really tough to take down which is a plus in Oakland when you have no Oline to speak of. CJ is the overall better talent and top talent in the draft but I think the Raiders will go Russell.
UKF
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#3 » by UKF » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:30 am

I would go with Johnson because you want to draft a future Pro Bowler and Calvin Johnson shows that more than Jamarcus Russell.

I know the Niners need a QB but you need an 0-line before you draft Russell. Before the Raiders draft a QB they need to get some players that can protect the qb.

Calvin Johnson for sure!
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,192
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#4 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Apr 2, 2007 4:53 am

I'm an LSU fan, and I love Jamarcus, but CJ is the best receiving prospect I have ever seen, and I would go with him, even if I had a need for a QB.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
Doctor MJ
Senior Mod
Senior Mod
And1: 19,673

Post#5 » by Doctor MJ » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:11 am

Y'know, I'm not going to dispute that Johnson is more of a sure thing than Russell, but I've just heard "can't miss" about too many wide receiver disappointments to get too behind that. I mean c'mon, *none* of the dominant receivers of the early part of this decade where true can't miss guys, meanwhile the only receiver can't miss enough to go #1 in the last 20 years is Keyshawn Johnson who's been lapped by several guys in the draft class.

If I'm Oakland, I'd say the key for me would be to make sure I'm not falling for Russell just for the jawdropping physical stuff.
Getting ready for the RealGM 100 on the PC Board

Come join the WNBA Board if you're a fan!
NO-KG-AI
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,192
Location: The city of witch doctors, and good ol' pickpockets

Post#6 » by NO-KG-AI » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:00 pm

Doctor MJ wrote:Y'know, I'm not going to dispute that Johnson is more of a sure thing than Russell, but I've just heard "can't miss" about too many wide receiver disappointments to get too behind that. I mean c'mon, *none* of the dominant receivers of the early part of this decade where true can't miss guys, meanwhile the only receiver can't miss enough to go #1 in the last 20 years is Keyshawn Johnson who's been lapped by several guys in the draft class.

If I'm Oakland, I'd say the key for me would be to make sure I'm not falling for Russell just for the jawdropping physical stuff.

I agree, i don't believe in the can't miss prospect, and I wouldn't always go best player available either.

I think in this case though, Calvin is far and away the best player available.

I don't think Jamarcus will be a top 5 at his position, even if he turns out to be a great player.

Calvin could be the best receiver in the league. The guy really doesn't have any weakness.
Doctor MJ wrote:I don't understand why people jump in a thread and say basically, "This thing you're all talking about. I'm too ignorant to know anything about it. Lollerskates!"
shagadelic45
General Manager
And1: 86

Post#7 » by shagadelic45 » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:38 pm

They SHOULD draft CJ...but I think they will draft Russell. The best scenario would be to trade down to #2 or #3 and still get CJ............
Triple_6_Mafia
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#8 » by Triple_6_Mafia » Mon Apr 2, 2007 9:48 pm

God I hope the bears could get CJ.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,601

Post#9 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Apr 3, 2007 4:21 am

CJ is obviously the better measurable prospect.

But Russell has significant upside at THE position, hence he might go higher.

I still think the 49ers trading up for CJ makes so much sense it will never happen.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#10 » by J.Kim » Tue Apr 3, 2007 4:23 am

Harry Palmer wrote:CJ is obviously the better measurable prospect.

But Russell has significant upside at THE position, hence he might go higher.

I still think the 49ers trading up for CJ makes so much sense it will never happen.

Just wondering, What would the 49ers give up?
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,601

Post#11 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Apr 3, 2007 4:33 am

J.Kim wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Just wondering, What would the 49ers give up?

Not counting players, in that salaries complicate, on a straight up picks for picks move, for the Niners to move up to 3rd, it would take something like this:

3rd pick: 2200 pts.

for

11th pick (1250)
42nd pick (480)
2nd round pick next year (~480-450)
124th pick (48)

=2258-2238.

I think market means Niners have to go over a tad like this, maybe even more.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#12 » by jumanji » Thu Apr 5, 2007 1:37 am

Quinn.
gswhoops
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,909

Post#13 » by gswhoops » Fri Apr 6, 2007 12:34 am

As a Niners' fan, I'd definatly be willing to overpay for CJ.

Johnson-Vernon-Frankie Gore would be a sick offense.
Danielite
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#14 » by Danielite » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:21 am

gswhoops wrote:As a Niners' fan, I'd definatly be willing to overpay for CJ.

Johnson-Vernon-Frankie Gore would be a sick offense.

Couldn't agree more.

Return to NFL Draft