Big 12 Expansion

Moderator: studcrackers

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Re: Big 12 Expansion 

Post#21 » by Mr. E » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:53 pm

I've read a few articles stating the position that opposition to adding University of Houston is coming from the non-Texas schools who are worried that it will hurt other teams chances of recruiting in the Houston market.

I don't know why the Big 12 thinks that Houston is an area which they can take for granted. SEC football is by far and away more dominant in this market over the past several years. I think that the SEC has recruited close to 50% of the top rated prospects over the past 5 years. They are killing them in TV ratings as well.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
goober
GOTB's Cancun
And1: 5,959

Post#22 » by goober » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:16 pm

I've began to see more and more, that the two most likely teams are BYU and Houston
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Mr. E » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:52 pm

There is supposed to be some sort of announcement today at 5:30 central time. I am expecting them to announce there will be no expansion.
- Winston Churchill
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Post#24 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:02 pm

Mr. E wrote:There is supposed to be some sort of announcement today at 5:30 central time. I am expecting them to announce there will be no expansion.

I am too. And if that's the case, Houston and Cincinnati should be happy. No sense jumping on a sinking ship.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#25 » by goober » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:58 pm

BYUtv is airing the presser... maybe they know something
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#26 » by goober » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:05 pm

well no expansion, and BYU might be better off not joining that crumbling conference
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Post#27 » by bleu » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:09 pm

Goober wrote:well no expansion, and BYU might be better off not joining that crumbling conference

Come on, I know you don't actually believe that.
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by bleu » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:10 pm

Multiple tweets going out from some reputable sources that they had a vote and no team was able to get enough votes to get in to the conference. Not really a surprise, I don't think they expand any time soon if at all. Very, very stupid move.
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#29 » by goober » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:29 pm

bleu wrote:
Goober wrote:well no expansion, and BYU might be better off not joining that crumbling conference

Well with how well the Big 12 handled this situation, it's quite apparent they're very incompetent.

When the Big 12 crumbles, and Texas and Oklahoma bolt for the SEC, i'm sure the other super conferences will be looking to fill out their conferences to 16 teams, and I think BYU will be in contention along with some other teams to join the Pac-12 or Big 10 (i can see the ACC adding Kansas and West Virginia)

Sure it might sting for now, but this is not the end of the world for BYU sports.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#30 » by studcrackers » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:40 pm

This conference is run by complete dipsh*ts. Everyone who is in power in this conference is a f*ckin joke
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#31 » by Otis Driftwood » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:35 pm

bleu wrote:

I do believe it, bleu.

Trust me. Oklahoma and Texas will bolt as soon as these TV contracts are up. They will be forced to take their little sisters Oklahoma State and Texas Tech with them to appease the powers that be within their respective state governments just as Baylor was made a part of the Big XII because Ann Richards deemed it necessary.

But - this conference is dead. It's just a matter of when.
Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Mr. E » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:27 pm

The president of UT issued a statement that he was proud to join the other Big 12 presidents in a unanimous vote not to expand because 10 teams is right for the Big 12.

Basically what I think happened over these past several months is that the Big 12 snookered 11 schools into giving them a lot of money for consideration with no real intention of actually expanding.

I am very hopeful that local media in Houston starts to take a much closer look at the potentially illegal land deal UT went through with their hopeful expansion to the Houston Medical Center.
- Winston Churchill
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#33 » by Otis Driftwood » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:44 am

Mr. E wrote:I am very hopeful that local media in Houston starts to take a much closer look at the potentially illegal land deal UT went through with their hopeful expansion to the Houston Medical Center.

That would be wonderful. And if they somehow discovered a tie to our goofball Lieutenant Governor, even more so.
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by bleu » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:47 am

Basically all that I learned from that entire news conference is that David Boren is an enormous idiot, and the Big 12 is doomed.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#35 » by Otis Driftwood » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:50 am

Yeah. Boren is an idiot. He is also (along with Greg Fenves) are pretty much the reason the Big XII exists. I read this comment in the Dallas Morning News over coffee. I found it a little revealing.

Iowa State athletic director Jamie Pollard went on a Des Moines radio station to address the Big 12 presidents staying at 10 members and maybe got a little too real. He suggested that the conference can strengthen itself by "quit having these public disagreements" and that Texas and Oklahoma weren't necessarily the problem.

"I'm in the room. That's not the case. The Big 12 exists because we've got Texas and Oklahoma in the room," Pollard said. "If we take Texas and Oklahoma out of the room, we're the Mountain West Conference and we're going to get $3 million [per school]."

If there is indeed that kind of in-fighting going on with the other 8 members of the Big XII, they would do well to heed this guy.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#36 » by Manocad » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:17 pm

See my B1G expansion thread.

A thought being kicked around by one of the popular Detroit sports talk radio show hosts is to create four 16-team power conferences, the four conference winners being the four playoff teams.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant

Post#37 » by Otis Driftwood » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:51 pm

Manocad wrote:See my B1G expansion thread.

A thought being kicked around by one of the popular Detroit sports talk radio show hosts is to create four 16-team power conferences, the four conference winners being the four playoff teams.

I think this (four 16 team super conferences) is almost a foregone conclusion at this point. Only questions are who goes where (OU, OSU, UT) along with who the Texas political machine tries to force Texas to take with them... and where the remaining wretched refuse of the Big XII end up.

I could see Kansas and its basketball legacy ending up in the ACC. KSU could be the tag along brother. But someone(s) in the Big XII better get ready for a serious disappointment.
goober
GOTB's Cancun

Post#38 » by goober » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:46 am

teams like Houston and BYU could be added over Iowa State, Kansas State etc

Return to NCAA Football