Charlie Strong out as Texas coach

Moderator: studcrackers

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Charlie Strong out as Texas coach 

Post#1 » by El Turco » Wed Oct 5, 2016 9:36 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-charlie-strong-out-as-texas-coach-after-the-season-155551688.html

reportedly at the end of the season. possibly crazy number of high profile positions will be open end of the season, texas, lsu, auburn, baylor, usc etc
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
bleu
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,146

Re: Charlie Strong out as Texas coach 

Post#2 » by bleu » Wed Oct 5, 2016 2:50 pm

Wow. Not super unexpected with how coaching works these days, but still. I wonder if Texas is thinking they have a shot at the Tom Herman sweepstakes, or who they have in mind. There are going to be a lot of coaches getting promoted this offseason, that's for sure.
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#3 » by El Turco » Wed Oct 5, 2016 7:39 pm

i am not a big charlie strong fan but did he even have one cycle of recruits to build a team? should be given more time
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,511

Post#4 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Oct 5, 2016 8:13 pm

Les Miles to Texas??
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 930

Post#5 » by kdawg32086 » Sun Oct 9, 2016 12:07 am

When you look at how many of the guys they have starting are sophomores (and how many key players are freshman), it makes you realize how bad Mack Brown really was... I think if Strong was able to nab one more stellar recruiting class this year, they prob win the Big 12 next year.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#6 » by studcrackers » Sun Oct 9, 2016 4:15 am

Arda K wrote:i am not a big charlie strong fan but did he even have one cycle of recruits to build a team? should be given more time

Nope. This is his 3rd year at Texas and he just nabbed his best recruiting class. The amount of underclass men forced to start is insane. Mack left that cover bone dry and half the people he left behind was kicked off the team.

He was never given much of a chance to succeed.
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#7 » by studcrackers » Sun Oct 9, 2016 4:17 am

kdawg32086 wrote:When you look at how many of the guys they have starting are sophomores (and how many key players are freshman), it makes you realize how bad Mack Brown really was... I think if Strong was able to nab one more stellar recruiting class this year, they prob win the Big 12 next year.

The only thing Mack Brown could do was recruit. Every player that went there left the school no better than when they came in with only a few exceptions. I'd kill for ok st to have a class like he had
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Post#8 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Oct 9, 2016 11:57 am

studcrackers wrote:
Arda K wrote:i am not a big charlie strong fan but did he even have one cycle of recruits to build a team? should be given more time

Nope. This is his 3rd year at Texas and he just nabbed his best recruiting class. The amount of underclass men forced to start is insane. Mack left that cover bone dry and half the people he left behind was kicked off the team.

He was never given much of a chance to succeed.

Truth is Vince Young (and to some extent Colt McCoy) extended Mack's career there 3-4 years. You look at his record up to Vince's time there and it wasn't Machovic bad... but it wasn't that good either. He raised money like crazy and he knew how to work the room and the boosters but the reality is he was a somewhat more than average coach. He caught lightning in a bottle with VY & Colt though.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."

Return to NCAA Football