9. Dennis Erickson, Arizona State
10. Mack Brown, Texas
KingInExile
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4

Re: The Sporting News ranks BCS conference coaches 

Post#2 » by KingInExile » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:33 pm

AirCanada_1515 wrote:http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=200861

1. Pete Carroll, Southern California
2. Jim Tressel, Ohio State
3. Rich Rodriguez, West Virginia
4. Jim Grobe, Wake Forest
5. Bob Stoops, Oklahoma
6. Frank Beamer, Virginia Tech
7. Nick Saban, Alabama
8. Steve Spurrier, South Carolina
9. Dennis Erickson, Arizona State
10. Mack Brown, Texas

GIVE ME A BREAK!!! Erickson has been fired from NFL teams twice because his teams sucked. He has a bad history of bailing on programs for "better opportunities" after 1-3 years (granted, he stayed at Miami 5 years, but that was 1 exception). He hasn't done anything yet with ASU and his last stint with Idaho was one where he took a WAC team from sucking a lot to sucking just a little less.

This guy is so massively overrated based on name alone. He has zero concept of enforcing discipline in his teams and when he eventually bails, his last school has to spend 3-5 years cleaning up the mess he leaves. He's a joke that deserves a 99th ranking, but not a 9th.
This space needs to be filled with a new sig...but I'm too lazy to make one.
Red Robot
Assistant Coach
And1: 114

Post#3 » by Red Robot » Sat Apr 28, 2007 9:53 pm

LMAO at Dennis Erickson. He had one great year at Oregon State, and a couple good years with WSU and Idaho. It's not hard to win at Miami. Meanwhile, he's bailed or been fired what? Eight times? That's not the sign of oa great coach. It's telling that everyone at OSU prefers no. 25 Mike Riley.

I actually like the list overall. Not exactly the way I would have it, but there are fewer mistakes than I'd expect. The explanations are reasonable.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#4 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:31 am

That, my friends, is why they're The Sporting News and no one pays attention to them.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#5 » by GYBE » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:43 am

LOL at Dan Hawkins over Charlie Weis.

8)
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 11,190

Post#6 » by Scoot McGroot » Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:16 am

GYBE wrote:LOL at Dan Hawkins over Charlie Weis.

8)

Yeah, not just Dan Hawkins, but Rich Brooks (UK), Mark Mangino (Kansas), Brian Kelly (Cincy), Al Groh (Virginia), Joe Tiller (Purdue), Chan Gailey (GT), Houston Nutt (Arkansas), Tom O'Brien (NC State), and Jim Grobe (Wake Forest) all ahead of Charlie Weis? There's some decent coaches in there, but not a single one have done anything to compare with Charlie. Seriously, this team has what, 6 guys left in this year's senior class (one of Ty's last classes), and the one that projects to get some the most time is Junior Jabbie at 3rd or 4th string RB? Look at how quickly he's loaded up that ridiculously thin roster. Nutt has lucked out, yet is still on the hottest of hot seats, Tiller is losing a ton of steam, Grobe has had one decent year, and O'Brien, Kelly, Groh, Mangino, and Brooks have done a whole lot of nothing at their current stops, and not a ton of success as head coaches at the college level.
Monkeyfeng06
Banned User

Post#7 » by Monkeyfeng06 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:26 am

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:That, my friends, is why they're The Sporting News and no one pays attention to them.

true that. their magazine sucks! website sucks too. low budget piece of crap.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#8 » by lpsevier » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:19 pm

Pete Carrol gets the top spot because he's still 21, and cool.

Right?
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Tue May 1, 2007 12:27 am

Scoot McGroot wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Yeah, not just Dan Hawkins, but Rich Brooks (UK), Mark Mangino (Kansas), Brian Kelly (Cincy), Al Groh (Virginia), Joe Tiller (Purdue), Chan Gailey (GT), Houston Nutt (Arkansas), Tom O'Brien (NC State), and Jim Grobe (Wake Forest) all ahead of Charlie Weis? There's some decent coaches in there, but not a single one have done anything to compare with Charlie. Seriously, this team has what, 6 guys left in this year's senior class (one of Ty's last classes), and the one that projects to get some the most time is Junior Jabbie at 3rd or 4th string RB? Look at how quickly he's loaded up that ridiculously thin roster. Nutt has lucked out, yet is still on the hottest of hot seats, Tiller is losing a ton of steam, Grobe has had one decent year, and O'Brien, Kelly, Groh, Mangino, and Brooks have done a whole lot of nothing at their current stops, and not a ton of success as head coaches at the college level.

Actually, if you want my honest opinion, as of right now I probably WOULD put Dan Hawkins ahead of Charlie Weis. But there's no way in hell I would have put Weis behind any of those other guys...especially not Gailey and Nutt.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#10 » by Icness » Tue May 1, 2007 12:43 am

That's just unbelievable. I agree with the first two slots, and Rodriguez has done a great job at WVU with the criminal element, but how is Grobe over Stoops or Brown? I know Jim Grobe, he coached at Ohio U. my last year there and I like him a lot, but we'll see how great he is next year with most of his top talent gone.

Frank Beamer is criminally underrated. I know VT has been in the news a lot lately, but before that, just try and get a kid from Hampton Roads or Philly or Tampa to even visit Blacksburg. It's in the middle of nowhere, one of the poorest areas of the country, no minorities except fellow college students, nothing to do. Yet Beamer draws kids in and there's not one player that leaves VT that isn't a significantly better football player than when they got there. He's done more with less for a lot longer than Rodriguez.

Glad to see Lloyd Carr didn't make their top 10, as I was expecting from that trash rag.

Edit--this was post #8000, one day after my 6th year anniversary at RealGM. Props to me for not being a post padder!
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Scoot McGroot » Tue May 1, 2007 6:34 pm

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Actually, if you want my honest opinion, as of right now I probably WOULD put Dan Hawkins ahead of Charlie Weis. But there's no way in hell I would have put Weis behind any of those other guys...especially not Gailey and Nutt.

Really? What about Dan Hawkins makes him a better coach than Charlie Weis? Was it the 2-10 record in the BCS (since this is ranking the BCS coaches)? Yeah, he had a great 3 year run in the WAC where he only lost 3 games, and surrounded those years with solid, but not spectacular 4 loss seasons in the WAC, not a BCS schedule by any means.

Dan Hawkins was a very good coach at Boise State, but the success under Dirk Koetter before Hawkins got to Boise State and under Chris Peterson after he left Boise State either states that all 3 of those coaches have been absolutely top notch coaches, or that they all succeeded very well under a certain system, especially since Boise State made their huge leap in production under Koetter, not Hawkins. Kind of the Butler of football if you ask me. Look at what happened to Barry Collier after he left Butler. Thad Matta had success elsewhere, and we'll see what happens with Todd Lickliter.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Wed May 2, 2007 9:45 am

Hawkins is the program builder. Weis has a little ways to go. Koetter may have supplied Hawkins the pieces, but Hawkins had to get them to excel.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 2, 2007 4:54 pm

PhilipNelsonFan wrote:Hawkins is the program builder. Weis has a little ways to go. Koetter may have supplied Hawkins the pieces, but Hawkins had to get them to excel.

Koetter was the program builder. He's the one that went from 6-5 to 10-3 to 10-2. Houston Nutt is the one that took them from 2-10 to 5-6, then Koetter went 6-5, 10-3, 10-2, and then Hawkins came in and went 8-4, 12-1, 13-1, 11-1, and 9-4. I feel Hawkins held the program at a level that Koetter built it up to, while having two solid seasons that seemed like low years.

Colorado is at least a 6-6, 7-5 team. Hawkins lead them wonderfully to a 2-10 year. I'm not sold on him as a coach anywhere else but Boise State.
Icness
NFL Analyst
And1: 129

Post#14 » by Icness » Wed May 2, 2007 8:23 pm

I wouldn't hold anything in Colorado on Hawkins just yet--they darn near got the death penalty for football and were fighting with DII schools for recruits 2 and 3 years ago. Next year they should be at least .500 in the Big 12 North though, good barometer to tell how good he really is; if they're in a bowl he's a fantastic coach, but if they're 3-9 then it was Boise and not him that was great.
Scoot McGroot
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by Scoot McGroot » Wed May 2, 2007 9:40 pm

Eh, I tend to think that if they're 4-8, 5-7, then it's Colorado self-correcting itself in a way. Most any state school has it's up's and down's; think Washington, Kentucky, South Carolina, Cal, etc. About the only one that seems way more down than up is Indiana :lol:
49erhokie
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#16 » by 49erhokie » Sun Jul 8, 2007 9:10 pm

come on now,

Jim Grobe over Frank Beamer

thats a freakin joke

Return to NCAA Football