Moderator: studcrackers

GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Recruiting 

Post#1 » by GYBE » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:04 pm

I <3 Charlie Weis and Corwin Brown

I think USC has a pretty good shot of taking us over at signing day though. Anyways, discuss your teams recruiting.

8)
bigboy1234
Assistant Coach
And1: 7

Post#2 » by bigboy1234 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:27 pm

Still way too many players left to sign.

Wherever Terrelle Pryor signs will be huge.

Then theres still top guys like Julio Jones, Darrell Scott, Will Hill, Arthur Brown, Shayne Hale, and TJ Bryant.

Roughly 40 of the top 100 prospects haven't even signed yet.
GYBE
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 358

Post#3 » by GYBE » Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:41 pm

I'm really high on Julio Jones, he's the guy I'd most like to add to the class. It's really tough to pull kids out of the south though.

8)
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#4 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:49 pm

According to that list, Oregon got five players, including a four-star offensive lineman who intrigues me.

Overall, I like Bellotti's recruiting. He's pretty big on finding diamonds in the rough (especially from small-town Oregon or California players lost in the fold), and he's good at recruiting offensive lineman and wide receivers. The problem is, he gets a boner every time a fast 5-9 cornerback pops up on the radar and Oregon never gets a top-notch linebacker, meaning those holes in the team are never filled and Alliotti (who needs to be forced out as DC) can continue to waste the defensive talent we have on his s**tty defensive schemes.

He also doesn't do well with top-end recruits. Cameron Colvin was a five-star entering college, and his best recruit in 2007 (Myles Wade) has to do time in JC due to grades. He snagged Haloti Ngata and Jonathan Stewart, but his magic touch doesn't always appear.

Also, Bellotti doesn't give a f**k about character, which is strange because he'll get a bunch of good-character guys (Stewart and Dennis Dixon) and mix them with guys like Marvin Johnson (who had a sexual assault case pending against him as he entered school) and Jackie Bates (thank God he's transferring...he supposedly had a big-time thing for 16-year-old girls). He also famously landed Oregon on probation for using illegal tactics to get Marshawn Lynch and JJ Arrington, neither of whom are stellar character guys.

That being said, Bellotti knows how to recruit for depth. QB isn't a problem for a couple years and should be less of a problem once Bellotti secures Darius Banks (sorry, Pac-10 homers, it's gonna happen). WR is absolutely stacked with raw talent, and guys like Drew Davis and Malachi Lewis are only gonna help. The offensive line is huge, deep, and good, especially at the tackle positions, where Bellotti can seemingly conjure up 6-7, 310-pounders with mobility out of thin air. They're gonna be even better now that Gary Crowton and his love of two-yard bubble screen passes are at LSU.

Overall, Bellotti's good at recruiting offense, and while he can recruit good defenders he usually doesn't. It's maddening, but he churns out top-20 classes like it's nothing.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.
GSWbandwagon
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#5 » by GSWbandwagon » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:56 am

umm, what exactly have marshawn and jj done? there was a bs allegation against marshawn that was quickly refuted and thrown out, and otherwise there's nothing but positive reviews of his character. marshawn is a big young black guy who is proud of his oakland roots and his appearance reflects that. people look at him and think he must be some evil gangster or something.

the only time jj was really in the news was when oregon's coaches pressured him into forging an loi, and did it after the signing period. they also violated the amount of contact they were allowed to have. the main coach involved wasn't even fired. i never heard of jj being a bad citizen.

also, what recruiting trouble did oregon end up in regarding marshawn? other than losing out on a fantastic player that is.

oh, and bellotti didn't have a top 20 class in 2 of the last 3 years (which is as far back as a i looked; i'm guessing when he was riding the tedford-induced glow from the early 2000s, he was able to land recruits).

37 days to kickoff.
PhilipNelsonFan
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6

Post#6 » by PhilipNelsonFan » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:08 am

GSWbandwagon wrote:also, what recruiting trouble did oregon end up in regarding marshawn? other than losing out on a fantastic player that is.

They may not have landed in trouble, but I've read sources that say the Ducks used tactics that violate NCAA rules.

I'm not trying to criticize either player, so I'm sorry if you're offended.
Tim Lehrbach wrote:I will break the Rose Garden.

Return to NCAA Football