Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,110

Re: START Moody 

Post#101 » by CDM_Stats » Sat Apr 6, 2024 11:14 pm

vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:He’ll pass up a shot to drive into the lane and pick up his dribble

**** if this doesnt get me angry every single time.. he starts off aggressive for a quick second but is then like nah, gets into trouble and kicks it back out. Get some lean muscle and lean into someone, or just cycle the ball out

It's been tough shots getting blocked the last couple of times. Open looks turning into turnovers will get lots of players doghouse treatment.

What do the tracking numbers say about how quick his shot is? It seems super slow, from my couch. Defenders keep getting to the shot despite being late on the closeout or biting on the pump fake.

No data on stuff like that, not official anyways. Too arbitrary to determine when a shot starts at the NBA level, especially during game. I've heard things like .5 seconds is the average, I've also heard that the quickest in the NBA a few years back was something like .75.. its one of those things youd probably have to track in an empty gym after seeing tons of shots. Eye test probably best.. and yes Moody's release is definitely slow. He dips the ball to get in rhythm. Its not going to matter much because most contests arent going to bother him with that freakish wingspan he has
vvoland
Senior
And1: 116

Post#102 » by vvoland » Sun Apr 7, 2024 12:05 am

CDM_Stats wrote:
vvoland wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:
**** if this doesnt get me angry every single time.. he starts off aggressive for a quick second but is then like nah, gets into trouble and kicks it back out. Get some lean muscle and lean into someone, or just cycle the ball out

It's been tough shots getting blocked the last couple of times. Open looks turning into turnovers will get lots of players doghouse treatment.

What do the tracking numbers say about how quick his shot is? It seems super slow, from my couch. Defenders keep getting to the shot despite being late on the closeout or biting on the pump fake.

No data on stuff like that, not official anyways. Too arbitrary to determine when a shot starts at the NBA level, especially during game. I've heard things like .5 seconds is the average, I've also heard that the quickest in the NBA a few years back was something like .75.. its one of those things youd probably have to track in an empty gym after seeing tons of shots. Eye test probably best.. and yes Moody's release is definitely slow. He dips the ball to get in rhythm. Its not going to matter much because most contests arent going to bother him with that freakish wingspan he has

I think it's definitely a reason why he's passing up shots. If he's wide open, he'll take the shot but a closeout often spooks him. In pretty limited run he got stuffed in the 4th of the spurs game after champagnie (I think) bit on the pump fake and moody was still too slow on the reload. Forgot who got him last night on the pump fake 3 into the 18 footer, but similar issue.

Unless it's a wembyesque standing reach, a good contest will block a high release because the defender can really get up on that effort while the jump for the shooter is going to be much lower (usually). I think we're just used to podz, cp3 and curry doing nothing on the closeout but those guys are midgets by NBA standards.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,178

Post#103 » by watch1958 » Sun Apr 7, 2024 9:12 am

WarriorGM wrote:That -23 from Moody is rather eye-popping. This bad performance from him deserves further scrutiny.

I will let myself run a little wild with speculation: Maybe it is performances like this in practice that has kept Moody on the bench. Small fast guards are Moody's kryptonite and players like Kyrie and Steph would expose it severely. Silver lining though is if you know his weaknesses you can try to cover them and take advantage of situations where he is not easily exposed.

Will probably have to go back to the Kings series last year and see if this hold true or not. Was Moody put on Fox?
Playing well or badly doesn't really relate to individual game +/- does it? If Moody has a bad game then he had a bad game. +/- doesn't change the reality of what a player did or didn't do.

So how does the -23 become "eye popping"? I guess Trayce's -26 must be even more "eye popping" for you. Any wild speculation on his practice habit?

I suppose your eyeballs went fullblown King Lear back during that 12/28 loss at home to Miami, when Klay and JK were both -26. (Moody was +10 in that one, and played great defense.) What did your "further scrutiny" of Klay's bad performance reveal after that game?

Please share...on the other hand, don't. We know what you think Smithers.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,699

Post#104 » by WarriorGM » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:05 pm

watch1958 wrote:
WarriorGM wrote:That -23 from Moody is rather eye-popping. This bad performance from him deserves further scrutiny.

I will let myself run a little wild with speculation: Maybe it is performances like this in practice that has kept Moody on the bench. Small fast guards are Moody's kryptonite and players like Kyrie and Steph would expose it severely. Silver lining though is if you know his weaknesses you can try to cover them and take advantage of situations where he is not easily exposed.

Will probably have to go back to the Kings series last year and see if this hold true or not. Was Moody put on Fox?
Playing well or badly doesn't really relate to individual game +/- does it? If Moody has a bad game then he had a bad game. +/- doesn't change the reality of what a player did or didn't do.

So how does the -23 become "eye popping"? I guess Trayce's -26 must be even more "eye popping" for you. Any wild speculation on his practice habit?

I suppose your eyeballs went fullblown King Lear back during that 12/28 loss at home to Miami, when Klay and JK were both -26. (Moody was +10 in that one, and played great defense.) What did your "further scrutiny" of Klay's bad performance reveal after that game?

Yes Trayce's -26 is worth noting too but he's a rookie. If the coaching staff is not as familiar with his strengths and weaknesses that is somewhat forgivable. Moody though is in his third. They should already know how best to deploy him. The success of the 4-guard lineups in this game tend to support the supposition that the coaching staff started with a poor understanding of the matchups at play at the start of it.

Any reason you remember the 12/28 game? What impression did it leave with you?
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#105 » by michaelm » Sun Apr 7, 2024 4:33 pm

WarriorGM wrote:
watch1958 wrote:

Yes Trayce's -26 is worth noting too but he's a rookie. If the coaching staff is not as familiar with his strengths and weaknesses that is somewhat forgivable. Moody though is in his third. They should already know how best to deploy him. The success of the 4-guard lineups in this game tend to support the supposition that the coaching staff started with a poor understanding of the matchups at play at the start of it.

Any reason you remember the 12/28 game? What impression did it leave with you?

My conclusion from this game is that there is a lot of interdependence and the team needs good Wiggins who has mostly been prominent in their improved latter season record, and his combination with Draymond Green and TJD is good defensively including freeing up Draymond to do X factor things. Wiggsneeds Draymond as well of course, although I suspect he also improved physically I doubt it is a coincidence he came good when Draymond concerned. 15 or 20 points from him come in handy as well.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,699

Post#106 » by WarriorGM » Sun Apr 7, 2024 5:06 pm

I thought I'd look up some of the lineups with Moody and the core trio to see if there were any possible patterns:

S. Curry - K. Thompson - D. Green - J. Kuminga - M. Moody
7 27 107.6 106.2 1.4

S. Curry - K. Thompson - D. Green - A. Wiggins - M. Moody
8 17 109.3 120.5 -11.2

S. Curry - K. Thompson - D. Green - D. Saric - M. Moody
2 16 126.5 114.7 11.8

S. Curry - K. Thompson - D. Green - M. Moody - B. Podziemski
3 14 126.5 121.4 5.0

S. Curry - K. Thompson - D. Green - K. Looney - M. Moody
3 10 71.4 118.2 -46.8

S. Curry - K. Thompson - D. Green - G. Payton II - M. Moody
4 10 100.0 121.7 -21.7

S. Curry - K. Thompson - D. Green - M. Moody - T. Jackson-Davis
2 8 70.0 136.8 -66.8

From what I can tell playing Moody with Curry, Klay and Green doesn't seem to have a promising history even before last night's lineup. Someone mentioned Draymond once saying that it's tough for some players to play with Curry and Klay because they end up deferring too much. That's probably as good a theory as any to explain Moody's subpar performance with them. Moody is actually very good when paired with GP2 or TJD usually so I can actually understand why the lineup with them and Curry, Klay and Draymond was tried. An overview of the better lineups with Moody and the three veterans however tends to show that the better lineups with them are with another player who is more aggressive or is willing to take shots.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#107 » by cdubbz » Mon Apr 8, 2024 1:06 am

man I want a Moody jersey so bad
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.

Return to Golden State Warriors