ImageImageImageImageImage

POB for Kurt Thomas

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

montamania
Ballboy
And1: 0

POB for Kurt Thomas 

Post#1 » by montamania » Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:41 pm

I have given up on POB. Seattle on the other hand is still desperate to find a center. I don't know the value for them of having Kurt Thomas on a rebuilding team, so I think this trade makes sense for both teams. Kurt Thomas could really help us in the playoffs. Looks like Kurt Thomas is in the last year of his contract. This trade was accepted by the Trade Checker. Thoughts?
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Re: POB for Kurt Thomas 

Post#2 » by turk3d » Wed Jan 2, 2008 1:54 pm

montamania wrote:I have given up on POB. Seattle on the other hand is still desperate to find a center. I don't know the value for them of having Kurt Thomas on a rebuilding team, so I think this trade makes sense for both teams. Kurt Thomas could really help us in the playoffs. Looks like Kurt Thomas is in the last year of his contract. This trade was accepted by the Trade Checker. Thoughts?

That's gotta be a mistake on Trade Checker. Thomas make 8 M (4X POBs salary). Try it on ESPN Trade Machine. We'd have to use the TPE and then Seattle would have to give back us a player matching POBs salary (2.2M).

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/t ... &te=&cash=
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#3 » by Hopper15 » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:19 pm

migya
Head Coach
And1: 1,344

Post#4 » by migya » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:31 pm

I'd like that trade alot as KThomas is a proven player and would provide real good rebounding and some shot blocking
old rem
RealGM
And1: 1,080

Post#5 » by old rem » Wed Jan 2, 2008 2:41 pm

I have not given up on POB. What I saw was a guy who was okay for a young player who got maybe 30 min NBA time in 2 years...spent much of a year in cowtown,was told he sucked and couldn't get the chance to prove otherwise. I HOPE he splits and I will be rooting for him to tear up the Warriors a few times so some folks wise up.

I STILL want to know who gets the black mark..Mullin for drafting a guy unfit to play ahead of Mbenga....the staff for failing to coach or motivate or teach....or CARE. Nellie for being a stubborn zealot and secretly wanting to show he's the alpha dog and guys Mullin drafts are junk next to Nellies fleamarket reclaimation projects.

Maybe it's all of the above.

Maybe POB already IS pretty good,better than many of the NBA backups...and we'll find out later. Maybe he's ruined,so jerked around he'll always be looking for the axe to fall. Time will tell.

As for Kurt T.....the Warriors are as focused on the bottom line now as on winning. They dumped J Rich...it now appears....more for $$ issues than because Wright was in the big plan. The logic was..well...we have Ellis,Barnes,Pietrus,Azu,and we got it covered. Well they are ALL free agents at seasons end.

You think they would add another chunk of salary to replace POB with Thomas? They have not bought out THud to get a PG...and I'm starting to think they won't. Cohen had some sort of financial problems and I think the deal now is play the cards we got.
CENSORED... No comment.
turk3d
RealGM
And1: 1,277

Post#6 » by turk3d » Wed Jan 2, 2008 3:25 pm

Pietrus + O'Bryant + Thud works on Trade Checker. A pretty good deal for Seatte if KT is what we really want. I'm sure there are a few other variations which will work as well. I think we should get one of Seattle's #1s (we could remove Thud).
Draymond Green: Exemplifies Warrior Leadership, Hustle, Desire, Versatility, Toughness, fearlessness, Grit, Heart,Team Spirit, Sacrifice
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#7 » by Left*My*Heart » Wed Jan 2, 2008 3:43 pm

Once again, I'm not buying into the Warriors (Cohan) financial problems as driving the Warriors decisions. The JRich trade was an excellent basketball business decision.

I can't believe how many of you are writing off Wright. He is a very young bigman rookie playing on a playoff team. I thought he would get more playing time than he has.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#8 » by Sid the Squid » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:01 pm

Nellie needs to give some of you a lecture on what Nellie wants out of his 4's and 5's....Thomas would come in here and start at C or backup AB15....He's never going to play alongside AB15...

Wright has to develop range on his shot if he ever wants to play forward for Don Nelson..If he doesnt? Then Nellie will only use him at C like he uses AB15
Left*My*Heart
RealGM
And1: 641

Post#9 » by Left*My*Heart » Wed Jan 2, 2008 4:21 pm

I agree that Wright needs to develop range on his shot. He is a surprisingly good ball handler for his size and with an outside shot, he could swing between the 3 and the 5, which is perfect for Nellie's system.

I really believe if the Warriors had a couple of reliable players coming off the bench, that Wright would see more playing time. The problem the Warriors have now is the unexpected play of the bench. If you can't make substitutions and hold a lead, the reliable 5 are going to have to play more.
montamania
Ballboy

Post#10 » by montamania » Wed Jan 2, 2008 8:42 pm

I just put the trade in straight up into trade checker and it worked. I was suprised. It mentioned that it was posible because of a trade exception. I can't remember if either team still has one. FWIW, here is the trade:
[url]http://www.realgm.com/src_checktrade.php?tradeid=4381680[/url]

On Brandan Wright, definitely a keeper. I would say in general, we are in a spot now where a few veterans could take us to the next level. I wouldn't trade our future for this, but I don't think POB is the future. For all of the reasons mentioned he looks like a bust. The best thing going for him is when you see a turnaround like Bynum and think maybe you do need to give these guys 4 years.

2 good vets could help us win a key series and maybe get us to the conference finals. I see 2 holes:
1) Defensive forward - Maybe a Kurt Thomas or PJ Brown for defense (remember Boozer stopped us last year). AB and Brand Wright are just unable physically to stop these guys at ths point and Benga too big and slow. Milsap, Craig Smith, Varejo, you name them, they kill us. Until we can deal with this we are vulnerable.

2) PG or combo guard - Again, I would like a vet here. Hudson sounds like he is done, so maybe an Earl Boykins type. Someone who can come in and give us some reliable points. We might be able to get by without this if a combo of Monta/Barnes at point and some scoring from Azubike, but I am worried about our bench. Right now 3 swingmen with some holes in their games. Not a well rounded bench by any means.
scwarrior
Freshman
And1: 2

Post#11 » by scwarrior » Thu Jan 3, 2008 12:13 am

makes no sense for seattle. They can keep KT and sign O'Bryant next year.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#12 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Jan 3, 2008 2:56 am

The JRich trade exception + something for Kurt Thomas makes sense.

At the end of this season the Warriors are going to lose POB and get nothing in return. At the End of the Season the Sonics will lose Thomas and get nothing in return. Thomas will take a pay cut and go wherever he wants. POB will take a pay cut and sign a one year deal some place where he is wanted and can compete for a starting job.

Based on what I have seen there is no physical reason why POB can not become an above average starting Center in the NBA. Then again based on what I have seen there was no physical reason why Keon Clark, Clifford Rozier, and Carlos Rogers should not all have become above average starters in the NBA. What the hell is wrong with POB?!?
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#13 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Thu Jan 3, 2008 3:39 am

you cannot add the Trade Exception to a player in a trade

Want Thomas? Trade a draft pick for him. The Trade Exception covers it.
You cant trade Player A + part of the Exception for Thomas
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#14 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Jan 3, 2008 4:55 am

Two informally linked trade:
1 Trade exception for Kurt Thomas
2 POB, Croshere, Belinelli and a first round pick for Watson and the Sonics second round pick.

My guess is that both Warriors and Sonics fans would reject these trades, but I think it makes sense because the Warriors need some help now to win a first round playoff series while the Sonics need to build for the future.

Sonics fans probably won't know that Belinelli has value while Warrior fans probably will overvalue Belinelli. Sonics fans might think Watson is part of the Sonics future while Warrior fans will think Watson is overpaid. Warriors fans might think that in 2009 Belinelli and a first for an expensive back up point guard and a second round pick is giving up too much but how much do you value winning a first round playoff series this year?
marthafokker
General Manager
And1: 830

Post#15 » by marthafokker » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:02 am

Forget trading for KT unless we use Pietrus/Mbenga/THud/Barnes/Croshere/POB type of players and add a 1st... since Seattle wants to add to their draft picks.

I seen enough of these crappy players. Might as well use KT to help with a real rotation. And then try to sign him back next year.
TB wrote:
We finally have a team for Nellie.... bring the old drunk back.
montamania
Ballboy

Post#16 » by montamania » Thu Jan 3, 2008 5:05 am

[quote="Hopper15"]-= original quote snipped =-

http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=743765[/quote]

Yes good thread thanks. I guess the main point is not whether KT would help us, but what would we be willing to give up that Seattle wants. Like in that thread, I don't think we would trade a #1. I would trade Pietrus for Kurt, but not sure Michael would interest Seattle.
Twinkie defense
RealGM
And1: 1,091

Post#17 » by Twinkie defense » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:19 am

Forget moving forward, let's assign blame!

I'll go first... I blame POB for being a big lackadaisical wuss.
FGump
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by FGump » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:25 am

montamania wrote:I just put the trade in straight up into trade checker and it worked. .

Because they have a 9.99M trade exception, GS has huge flexibility (from normal trade matching restraints) on smaller money trades. In any trade where they are taking back a total of 10M in salary or less, they can trade away anything they want in smaller salary and make the deal work, because of the ways they can use that trade exception.

That's why this trade idea is legal.
Chris Cohan
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#19 » by Chris Cohan » Thu Jan 3, 2008 7:31 am

Sabotaging the bench is one means to motivating exception use but hardly a convincing one.

Return to Golden State Warriors