Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Re: OT: SF Giants 2023 

Post#101 » by wco81 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:36 am

B-King wrote:
wco81 wrote:
Samurai wrote:Giants fire Gabe Kapler. Can't say I'm disappointed, although I gotta think Farhan Zaidi has a big share of the responsibility for building out a roster largely devoid of playoff-caliber talent. While the roster largely under-performed (with a couple of exceptions), Kapler is the one responsible for squeezing out what talent there is and it would be hard to say that he was able to get the talent previously displayed by the likes of Conforto, Pederson, crawford, Slater, Davis and Haniger in the optimal manner to succeed. Giants have to be among the most boring (and slowest) team to watch so Zaidi needs to find the right talent and hire a manager who will be able to better squeeze the juice out of the roster we get.

Basically Zaidi is trying to do the same thing Billy Beane tried, but with a higher payroll.

Ten years ago, Giants were one of the highest revenue teams in the majors, when the park was new. I don't know if that's still the case with the steady decline in attendance the last 5 years or so. The pandemic really hurt but I believe the decline was occurring before the pandemic.

Seen some comments on McCovey Cove that the owner doesn't care about winning, just being profitable.

Yet their payroll even this year was higher than the MLB average.

I wonder if Zaidi was the one who technically fired Kapler or the owners fired him but it's a message that Zaidi has to produce results.

Problem with Zaidi is that other POBO and GMs know the same stuff he does, to try to dumpster dive for hidden gems. Except they've done better at drafting and developing and finding the free agents to perform. Other than 2021 and Rodon, Zaidi hasn't been able to do that.

I don't know if he has had a chance to rebuild the farm system or he wasn't given that chance or if that's not within his competency, he just uses analytics to find undervalued players but as far as hiring the right developmental coaches, maybe that's not something he's good at.

It may just be that the Giants won't sniff another WS until they get new ownership. But it's not like the NBA where billionaires are lining up to buy franchises, because baseball struggles to attract fan interest.

Sounds like Zaidi made the recommendation to move on from Kapler and ownership approved. Not really laying the blame on Kapler. You can't win in poker with crap cards.

Not really seeing a path for Zaidi to make past another year. This roster needs a major overhaul and I doubt that we are able to do so and be more competitive. It would be more entertaining if we bring up the youngsters than watching the retreads.

At first, most fans would be supporting the youngsters.

But they won't wait forever for the prospects to turn into proven MLB starters.

Remember how hyped Bart was? They were hoping he'd slot right in after Posey retired. Now, I think most fans have little expectations of Bart.

Schmitt started out well. So did Bailey. But no matter how good they are on defense, if they can't hit, it's hard to keep playing them.

Ohtani isn't as attractive a target with the injuries and uncertain future as a #1 or #2 starting pitcher.

But man they need to at least put up a fight or bid up his price so that the Dodgers don't get him for a team-friendly deal.

I get the impression that they will only try to sign someone like Bellinger and to say to the fans that they are trying to sign impact free agents.

The reality is, Giants need both Ohtani and Bellenger, a couple of guys capable of hitting at least 30 HRs.

If they signed Judge last year, they'd still probably need to sign more hitters this year.

They need to bring the fences in, because it's not like starting pitchers are lining up to sign with the Giants except for the 1-year deals that they can leverage to bigger long-term deals with other teams.

Zaidi did accomplish that, get rid of bad contracts and avoid long-term commitments.

But they can't sign the best players without committing for long term deals.

You get what you paid for.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#102 » by Samurai » Sat Sep 30, 2023 1:22 am

Feels like Zaidi is in a no-win situation. But he was also largely responsible for buying the bed that he is now forced to sleep in. But even if ownership fires Zaidi, what genius GM is going to want to take his place working for the current ownership and having to play with the cards that they will be dealt? And the Dodgers aren't going anywhere; its like being a plucky up-and-coming fighter who wants to win and you look at the opposite corner to see who your fighting and Superman is standing there. No matter how plucky you think you are, at some point you just throw in the towel. Unless Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos want to co-own the Giants, I don't see how any GM can compete with a team like LA that has an unlimited checkbook. If the Dodgers sign Ohtani that would be the final straw.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#103 » by B-King » Sun Oct 1, 2023 5:42 am

Giants are more than 2 players away from being decent. They needed to add foundation piece here and there the last 3 years. Can't swing for the fences with Judge and Ohtani when the team is not ready to compete. Combing the league for rule 5 players isn't a recipe for success.

Even if we miss out on the top free agents, we night be able to make a play for some of the talent that teams need to move when they add a large piece. For instance if Ohtani signs with the Padres, they will have to move someone from the existing roster. Granted it is hard that the teams within our division aren't as likely to make a deal with the Giants.
wco81
RealGM

Post#104 » by wco81 » Sun Oct 1, 2023 10:21 am

B-King wrote:Giants are more than 2 players away from being decent. They needed to add foundation piece here and there the last 3 years. Can't swing for the fences with Judge and Ohtani when the team is not ready to compete. Combing the league for rule 5 players isn't a recipe for success.

Even if we miss out on the top free agents, we night be able to make a play for some of the talent that teams need to move when they add a large piece. For instance if Ohtani signs with the Padres, they will have to move someone from the existing roster. Granted it is hard that the teams within our division aren't as likely to make a deal with the Giants.

Rangers lost 102 games two seasons ago.

They just clinched their first playoffs berth since 2016.

Diamondbacks also in the playoffs for the first time in 7 seasons.

Rangers are spending $247 million thIs season. Diamondbacks are spending $117 million. Giants are at $187 million.

So there are alternate paths, spend big in free agency for a few seasons or succeed through the farm system.

Corbin Carroll had a monster season, his first full season in the majors. He was #16 pick of the 2019 draft.

Giants picked Hunter Bishop at #10 in the same draft, Zaidi’s first draft. Bishop had surgery earlier this year and is already 25. He has 18 HRs and 60 RBIs in his minor league career with a .223 average.

Carroll, who is 23, is hitting .285, 25 HRs with 76 RBIs.

So Bishop is either a bad pick or in a bad farm system (poor developmental coaches) or both. It’s a big failure for the organization either way.

Giants aren’t doing well either in free agency or producing a talent pipeline through the farm system. You can look at the standings and guess which teams do well with both ways of stocking their rosters full of talent.
B-King
Rookie

Post#105 » by B-King » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:03 pm

wco81 wrote:
B-King wrote:Giants are more than 2 players away from being decent. They needed to add foundation piece here and there the last 3 years. Can't swing for the fences with Judge and Ohtani when the team is not ready to compete. Combing the league for rule 5 players isn't a recipe for success.

Rangers lost 102 games two seasons ago.

They just clinched their first playoffs berth since 2016.

Diamondbacks also in the playoffs for the first time in 7 seasons.

Rangers are spending $247 million thIs season. Diamondbacks are spending $117 million. Giants are at $187 million.

So there are alternate paths, spend big in free agency for a few seasons or succeed through the farm system.

Corbin Carroll had a monster season, his first full season in the majors. He was #16 pick of the 2019 draft.

Giants picked Hunter Bishop at #10 in the same draft, Zaidi’s first draft. Bishop had surgery earlier this year and is already 25. He has 18 HRs and 60 RBIs in his minor league career with a .223 average.

Carroll, who is 23, is hitting .285, 25 HRs with 76 RBIs.

So Bishop is either a bad pick or in a bad farm system (poor developmental coaches) or both. It’s a big failure for the organization either way.

Giants aren’t doing well either in free agency or producing a talent pipeline through the farm system. You can look at the standings and guess which teams do well with both ways of stocking their rosters full of talent.

No question that the farm system needs to be proficient at developing talent for the Giants to be successful. To be fair Zaidi did inherit a system that wasn't stacked with much potential talent. The Giants were in win now and made a few moves that weren't favorable in the long term. Not sure how to rate Zaidi's performance in evaluating draft picks, but he gets an F for free agent acquisitions.
wco81
RealGM

Post#106 » by wco81 » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:58 pm

Well he's been with the organization since November 2018.

With the pandemic-aborted and shortened seasons, you can say it's not 4 or 5 full seasons.

I don't know what happened to minor league seasons during those seasons when the MLB seasons were disrupted.

But you know what, other teams have produced very promising players in the last couple of seasons so I'm not inclined to give him a pass on the pandemic disruption.

He may not have had the power or the budget though to do something with the farm system. Or maybe that's just not his competency.

I will say one thing, they should be looking to poach minor league coaches from other organizations, like the Rays, Astros, Dodgers, Orioles, etc. Throw money at them and lure them away because there's no reason to have faith with the developmental coaches for position players. In fact if there are hitting instructors who've been in the Giants farm system for around 10 years or more, they need to all be fired.

Bart, Ramos, Bishop, etc. The evidence is overwhelming, they can't develop even average starter level hitters, never mind all-star hitters.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,164

Post#107 » by TB » Mon Oct 2, 2023 4:30 pm

I think Kapler had this team overachieving every year he's been here. The roster screams 500 at best, and they have done that with the one outlier being a stars aligning performance that got 107 wins. Not sure what anyone expected in the following 2 seasons considering the talent in the division vs talent on Giants.

Not to say they can't improve next year and find a manager that fits with the plan moving forward... more-so just saying this was not on Kapler AT ALL.
wco81
RealGM

Post#108 » by wco81 » Mon Oct 2, 2023 4:50 pm

He may be a scapegoat. At least it shows the owners care about the optics as attendance dives.

If their only fixes are to fire Kapler and next year Zaidi, that is just doing PR, not real change.
B-King
Rookie

Post#109 » by B-King » Mon Oct 2, 2023 8:00 pm

Very curious which way they go with a manager for next year. Will they bring in a well known name or another analytic cruncher. Because Zaidi is on the hot seat I anticipate they try to make a splash with this hire.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#110 » by tarantism » Tue Oct 3, 2023 3:26 am

B-King wrote:Very curious which way they go with a manager for next year. Will they bring in a well known name or another analytic cruncher. Because Zaidi is on the hot seat I anticipate they try to make a splash with this hire.
I've seen Buck Schowalter thrown around. I'd rather go with somebody younger personally. I've also seen Buster's name pop up a few places and while that sounds great I'm pretty skeptical that he has much interest.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
wco81
RealGM

Post#111 » by wco81 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:35 am

Well all is not lost for Giants fans, the 100-win Dodgers just got swept by the 84-win Diamondbacks.

Betts and Freeman were a combined 1-21 in 3 games. Diamondbacks doesn't exactly have an elite pitching staff.

Odd though, Orioles also won 100 games or more and they got swept, again by not such a good pitching staff.

And the Phillies are pretty much shutting down the Braves, who had 307 HRs (Giants had 174, Dodgers 249, Diamondbacks 166), leading the series 2-1.

So all three 100-win teams could get knocked out of the Divisional series.

Other crazy stat, the Dodgers have had 10 season of 100 wins or more. They've not won a WS in any of those seasons.

Yankees have had 21 100-win seasons, A's have had 10 and won 4 WS in those seasons.

I don't recall if the Giants ever bid on Harper, who hit 2 HRs today. Of course he got a crazy big contract 5 years ago. Harper has had 2 35-HR seasons for the Phillies, had 6 HR in the playoffs last year and so far 3 this postseason.

Meanwhile, I don't think the Giants have had anyone hitting 30 HRs since Bonds, who had 28 in 2007, his last season. The last time he hit over 30 HRs was in 2004.

So almost 20 seasons, Giants haven't had a 30-HR player. Brandon Belt came close, 29 in 2021, the 107-win season. Obviously don't need to hit a ton of HRs to win championships, Giants proved that.
wco81
RealGM

Post#112 » by wco81 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 4:44 am

Stolen from Twitter.

Dodgers payroll: 210 million
Dbacks payroll: 116 million
Watching the Dbacks sweep the Dodgers in the playoffs: PRICELESS
Nvnervous45
Junior
And1: 91

Post#113 » by Nvnervous45 » Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:39 am

Harper was vocal about not wanting to come here because the pitcher's park. He's a douche anyway, albeit a talented douche, but a douche nonetheless. Looks like we'll just have to go with homegrown position players. I think Luciano at short will be a stud and Ramos with a year on the big club under his belt should continue to develop. That gives us a good young core or Bailey, Luciano, Estrada, and Ramos.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#114 » by Samurai » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:30 pm

Bob Melvin will be our manager next season. Once it was announced that the Padres had given permission for him to interview, I felt this was a foregone conclusion. First, Melvin and the SD GM don't get along at all. Second, our front office is (rightfully) on a very short leash and if they don't win now, they will be fired. An experienced guy like Melvin gives them their best chance of winning now rather than waiting for a rookie manager (Naaken, Vogt, Varitek, etc) to endure a learning curve. Third, the Giants are expected to be very active in the Asian market and will likely make an aggressive push for both Yoshinobu Yamamoto and Jung-hoo Lee. Melvin is said to have enjoyed a great relationship with Yu Darvish (who coincidentally shares the same agent as Yamamoto) and Ha-seong Kim. Not only did Kim have his best season in 23 under Melvin but he is a former teammate and close friend of Lee. And while it would be a long shot to land Ohtani, they are hoping his strong relationship from managing Ichiro for years may help there as well.

Bottom line is the Giants need better players regardless of who is managing. If Melvin can help the team attract desirable free agents, then I'm in.
wco81
RealGM

Post#115 » by wco81 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:14 pm

Melvin has been a manager for 20 years.

(He played in the MLB for 10 years, 3 years with the Giants in the mid '80s).

His managerial record is .516. His record in the post-season is under .500, in 8 postseasons. His best postseason was last year with the Padres, 6-6 when they upset the Dodgers and lost to the Phillies for the NL peanut.

Really an average manager, nothing special.

Bruce Bochy is about .500 for his career as a manger in 26 seasons but in the post-season, he's .596, of course a lot of that from his time with the Giants.

He was 64-65 when he left the Giants in 2019 so I believed the official story at the time that it was his time to retire. He sat out for 3 seasons and then took the job with the Rangers at age 68.

So now I wonder if he was pushed out or left because he wasn't happy with the roster management.

Obviously he chose a team that was spending heavily to become competitive fast. Just two seasons ago, the Rangers lost 102 games.

They signed Seager and Semien in 2022 for a combined $500 million in contracts and signed deGrom and Eovoldi for $220 million in contracts in 2023.

Obviously some of these haven't worked out, like deGrom getting injured.

But they're in the WS in two seasons. I don't know if that's happened before but they went for it, giving big money even to players over 30 as well as a 10-year deal to Seager who was 27 to 28 when he signed.

We will see if Melvin makes a difference. Doesn't seem likely that he will, unless he really helps sign Yamamoto and Lee but I'm not sure why he would more than any other manager or the overall appeal of the franchise.

Giants should have an advantage over the East Coast club because of the Asian-American communities here and being on the West Coast.

However, Giants haven't signed any Japanese or Korean players ever, have they? They go to Seattle or the LA teams or San Diego so far.

So they're the one West Coast team which haven't been able to tap into Japanese or Korean talent. In fact last year they lost out to the Mets for a Japanese pitcher and the Yankees and other teams to the Midwest and East Coast have signed Japanese and Korean players.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,598

Post#116 » by HiRez » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:33 pm

B-King wrote:Very curious which way they go with a manager for next year. Will they bring in a well known name or another analytic cruncher. Because Zaidi is on the hot seat I anticipate they try to make a splash with this hire.

Dusty Baker is apparently stepping down from the Astros, although it's not being reported he's retiring either. I'll never forgive him for handing that "game ball" to Russ Ortiz, and yet, had a lot of good times with him at the helm, I wouldn't be opposed to it for a few years anyway.
wco81
RealGM

Post#117 » by wco81 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:38 pm

Dusty is 74. He's won his WS rings.

He may be done.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#118 » by Samurai » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:00 pm

[quote="wco81"
However, Giants haven't signed any Japanese or Korean players ever, have they? They go to Seattle or the LA teams or San Diego so far.

So they're the one West Coast team which haven't been able to tap into Japanese or Korean talent. In fact last year they lost out to the Mets for a Japanese pitcher and the Yankees and other teams to the Midwest and East Coast have signed Japanese and Korean players.[/quote]

Giants have a fairly deep history of signing Japanese players, just not (m)any stars. Masanori Murakami was the first Japanese player in MLB when the Giants signed him in 64. We signed Shinjo in 2001 (same year Ichiro joined Seattle; not sure but I think Ichiro may have been just a tad bit better...), we had Keiichi Yabu in 2008, Tanaka signed in 2013, and Aoki in 2015.

In 2017 we signed 3B Jae-gyun Hwang from the Korean baseball league; he only lasted a few months with the Giants before being designated for assignment. As far as I know, he's the only Korean-born player to play for the Giants.

Anyone else I'm missing?
wco81
RealGM

Post#119 » by wco81 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 11:52 pm

Hmm, I don't recall any of those.

They must have been mostly journeymen types, not stars?

At least the ones from this century?
Samurai
General Manager

Post#120 » by Samurai » Wed Oct 25, 2023 12:25 am

wco81 wrote:Hmm, I don't recall any of those.

They must have been mostly journeymen types, not stars?

At least the ones from this century?

Aoki was decent. He was a lifetime .285 hitter and hit .287 in his only season with the Giants (2015). He played in 93 games in 2015 and had the 5th highest average for us behind Posey, Panik, Matt Duffy and Gregor Blanco (just ahead of Brandon Belt). But he was already 33 years old then and was known as a fast guy without much power. Had 30 stolen bases his first MLB season (2012) with the Brewers but that number had fallen to 14 in his season with us. At 33, you gotta expect guys to lose a step so the Giants declined his option. If we could have had him when he was in Japan (during his prime) he could have been a decent player when he was a speed guy, 3x batting champ and 7x Gold Glove winner in Japan. So yeah, definitely not a star but I think a .287 hitter with 14 SB's is a bit better than a journeyman. I'd call him an aging but still useful role player since his 14 stolen bases still led the slow Giants team that year.

Return to Golden State Warriors