ImageImageImageImageImage

Taking the pulse of Dubs fans: Who should be starting?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Gimme your four other starters:

Klay
9%
Draymond
22%
Wiggs
16%
Loon
7%
CP3
0%
Kuminga
20%
Moody
11%
Podz
6%
TJD
7%
Saric
2%

Total votes: 219

CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,110

Re: Taking the pulse of Dubs fans: Who should be starting? 

Post#121 » by CDM_Stats » Sun Feb 4, 2024 3:25 pm

Impuniti wrote:
marthafokker wrote:
killmongrel wrote:
I really want to see a Steph/Wiggins/Moody/Kuminga/Draymond lineup.

Me too. With Klay starting, he gets 5 chucks, no D, and down 10 already 5 minutes in, and hope Kerr stops the bleeding before game is over.

I like Klay off the bench, against 2nd strings. And backup needs a little bit of shooting now with JK starting.

I don't remember who but 2? months ago on here someone looked into and stated Klay vs bench units was doing very well +/-. Using him for 15MPG in that role could be great, but unfortunately there's no chance of seeing that this season.

A lot of people looked into it I think.. but yeah can even check BBREF > Klay Thompson > Lineups > 2 man combos

He vibed best with CP3 and Kuminga (bench) because they were halfcourt sets against the opposing team's reserves, and the triangle of CP3/Saric/Klay (supplemented with Kuminga's iso game and then either Moody or GP2) was outscoring the opposing bench while not needing to play that good of defense. Stark contrast to the heavy negative starting lineup, where he had large negatives with Curry, Looney and Wiggins
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#122 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Feb 8, 2024 4:35 am

I want to start imaginary Moody. I don’t want to start real Moody. I want to start the version of Moody that the majority of our board imagines Moody to be.

But then again what do I know. I had a hard time giving up on Imaginary Wiseman.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,178

Post#123 » by watch1958 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 5:29 am

cpower wrote:Curry/Klay/Wiggins is -8.2 per 36 between Dec and Jan (and getting worse). You either trade them or just tank with them. make a fking decision now!

I’m conflicted. Is there any other choice besides trading or tanking?
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,165

Post#124 » by TB » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:00 pm

Now that the deadline is passed, seems like we are going with the "death (of a dynasty) lineup" to start. My guess on Kerr's depth chart for a healthy team is:

Steph / CP3
Wiggins / Podz
Klay / GP2
Kuminga / Saric
Dray / Loon

With Moody, Lester, Trayce, Gui filling in any spots due to injury/rest/fouls/matchups/garbage time etc.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#125 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:11 pm

TB wrote:Now that the deadline is passed, seems like we are going with the "death (of a dynasty) lineup" to start. My guess on Kerr's depth chart for a healthy team is:

Steph / CP3
Wiggins / Podz
Klay / GP2
Kuminga / Saric
Dray / Loon

With Moody, Lester, Trayce, Gui filling in any spots due to injury/rest/fouls/matchups/garbage time etc.

I agree except I probably replace Saric with Trayce and call Podz the SF if he is with Payton and let Payton and Moody split the 50/ 50. I probably only play Klay 25 minutes a game and give the extra 5 to ten minutes that Klay loses to Moody Payton Santos or Quinones.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#126 » by jozef » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:30 pm

They will be surprised that small lineup with CP3 does not work versus elite lineups and that Loon and Dario are outran by opponents. It will be end of April and Warriors will clinch the 10th spot.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Post#127 » by Big J » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:06 pm

Don't get what Moody has done to prove he deserves to start. Podz has shown way more than him.
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,833

Post#128 » by floppymoose » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:09 pm

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:I want to start imaginary Moody. I don’t want to start real Moody. I want to start the version of Moody that the majority of our board imagines Moody to be.

Imaginary Moody is one of my all time fav Warriors.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#129 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:34 am

jozef wrote:They will be surprised that small lineup with CP3 does not work versus elite lineups and that Loon and Dario are outran by opponents. It will be end of April and Warriors will clinch the 10th spot.

Chris Paul is 2nd in season plus minus behind Podz.

The starters slow starts and bad early Wiggins killed the starters plus minus.

Oh no we can’t play Curry together with Chris Paul because they are too small but plus minus says good things happen when Chris Paul and Curry are on the floor together.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,703

Post#130 » by WarriorGM » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:33 am

SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
jozef wrote:They will be surprised that small lineup with CP3 does not work versus elite lineups and that Loon and Dario are outran by opponents. It will be end of April and Warriors will clinch the 10th spot.

Oh no we can’t play Curry together with Chris Paul because they are too small but plus minus says good things happen when Chris Paul and Curry are on the floor together.

Steph and CP3 are two of the greatest basketball players ever. The question isn't whether playing them together is generally positive. The question is whether it is optimal. Against average teams I expect a lineup with them together to be superior but against the very best I'm uncertain.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,305

Post#131 » by DonaldSanders » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:49 am

Curry
Podz
Wiggins
Kuminga
Green

That's our best lineup. 2 ball handlers, a passer/screener, a guy who can get to cup, and Wiggins being able to play off of the threat of the others. Looks great on offense, then great on defense. Podz was actually guarding some bigger guys pretty well. They all look hyped an active knowing it's a well oiled machine playing defense. Steph can be hid/covered for more, and has energy for O (plus the extra ball handler helps).

Really hope Steve has the balls to have Klay come off the bench, we're 3-0 without him all big wins. So much of the bad vibe on the court earlier in the season was knowing you had to cover for a slow guy on D and someone who would chuck on O. Really sucks the air out of the room. I still feel bad saying this stuff, but Klay really looks like a small minute guy (if that). Honestly we might just be better if he sits.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#132 » by jozef » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:05 am

Plus minus say nothing cause they do not show numbers versus elite lineups. Players could be overall positive but they hit a wall at the highest level cause of their limits.
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#133 » by michaelm » Fri Feb 9, 2024 12:01 pm

WarriorGM wrote:

Steph and CP3 are two of the greatest basketball players ever. The question isn't whether playing them together is generally positive. The question is whether it is optimal. Against average teams I expect a lineup with them together to be superior but against the very best I'm uncertain.

Imo fast small ball has more chance of working than slow small ball. 3 guard line up with more than 1 slow guard has little chance against elite opposition.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,299

Post#134 » by Impuniti » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:41 pm

WarriorGM wrote:

It absolutely is a question, and I don't think it's a good idea at all. THey have closed and failed on a lot of games together this season. It was fun watching CP3 take the air out of the ball for 18 seconds only for him to throw the ball to Saric with 2 minutes left as Curry is standing on a corner.

CP3's role should be running the bench unit and maybe mixing about 5 minutes of real game time with Steph. This is my issue with Kerr, this team could be a lot better if he just stopped putting out insane lineups.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#135 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:08 pm

All 82 guys think starting and closing could be a revolving door.

Steph, wiggins, jk, dray + one of klay, cp3, podz, loon, moody, or gp2.

I think that might be the way to go because each brings something different.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#136 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:30 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:All 82 guys think starting and closing could be a revolving door.

Steph, wiggins, jk, dray + one of klay, cp3, podz, loon, moody, or gp2.

I think that might be the way to go because each brings something different.

All 82 guys? All the Warriors players? 82 games?

I agree that the starting and closing core should have Curry, Draymond Kuminga and Wiggins and an undetermined 5th player.
Klay is the best 5th player decoy to start the game if Klay will match the effort of the other options. Hot shooting Klay is my choice to close games if Klay had a good shooting night.

Santos is now my top choice for energy but Podz is also good for energy. Chris Paul has skills and should be considered. Podz should be considered. Imaginary Moody the version of Moody that half of our board believes in would be a good choice for the 5th guy if imaginary Moody becomes real. Payton is more real to me than imaginary Moody and Payton might make us into what small ball is supposed to be. Small ball is supposed to force turnovers. We might want to play a center. We don’t have a big center. Mr reliable Looney is nolonger reliable but good energetic night Looney is still good even though he can’t block shots. I don’t want to play off night low energy Looney. Saric can shoot. Trayce can block shots, is faster and can rim run. Quinones can get hot.

Kerr should just tell the team that match ups, effort level, how you played lately and his got feeling determines the 5th man.

Klay and Chris Paul should be able to handle getting old. Corporate America does not hire 60 year olds even though the average 60 year old was once a better worker than the average 25 year old has ever been. 60 year olds need jobs but have a hard time getting jobs. We all are going to get old and people will doubt our ability because we got old. Most of us don’t trust Biden to be competent. Luckly the White house can probably run OK with a dead man being the president but basketball requires 5 live people.
TB
General Manager

Post#137 » by TB » Fri Feb 9, 2024 5:38 pm

floppymoose wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:I want to start imaginary Moody. I don’t want to start real Moody. I want to start the version of Moody that the majority of our board imagines Moody to be.

Imaginary Moody is one of my all time fav Warriors.

I want him to start next to imaginary Randolph.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,239

Post#138 » by EvanZ » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:19 pm

Wasn't Kuminga "imaginary" just a month ago? Moody was less imaginary to me. We've seen what he can do when he's actually given a chance. Kerr just continually cuts the rug out from under him for reasons that don't make any sense to me. I have no doubt Moody will work his way ahead of Q and Santos though once Kerr gets serious. Of course then he'll have to get past GPII. :lol:

I just don't get why they didn't trade him even for a second.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
TB
General Manager

Post#139 » by TB » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:34 pm

EvanZ wrote:Wasn't Kuminga "imaginary" just a month ago? Moody was less imaginary to me. We've seen what he can do when he's actually given a chance. Kerr just continually cuts the rug out from under him for reasons that don't make any sense to me. I have no doubt Moody will work his way ahead of Q and Santos though once Kerr gets serious. Of course then he'll have to get past GPII. :lol:

Yup agreed. Kuminga is more like Randolph in that regard. It's been awesome watching Kuminga rapid improvement... he's proven me wrong game after game after game.

Moody just does what I expect every game. Solid basketball. And I actually agree with not trading him even if Kerr keeps him out of the rotation for the year. His contract and development is lining up pretty nicely with Klay's unfortunate and inevitable transition away from being starter level. His time is coming.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,110

Post#140 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Feb 9, 2024 6:35 pm

EvanZ wrote:Wasn't Kuminga "imaginary" just a month ago? Moody was less imaginary to me. We've seen what he can do when he's actually given a chance. Kerr just continually cuts the rug out from under him for reasons that don't make any sense to me. I have no doubt Moody will work his way ahead of Q and Santos though once Kerr gets serious. Of course then he'll have to get past GPII. :lol:

Return to Golden State Warriors