Game 53, Warriors at Jazz 6PM PST, the usual suspects

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,834

Re: Game 53, Warriors at Jazz 6PM PST, the usual suspects 

Post#181 » by floppymoose » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:33 am

killmongrel wrote:When he's only scoring 13 points as the second option, it's not the only problem, but it is a problem. He can get better and more consistent going forward though.

I loved JKs game tonight. 5-6FG, 3-4FT, 4 assists. He kept it simple and made the right play. His presence was part of why his teammates were open.

When he gets 13 and no one else is scoring then i could see complaining. His team scored 140 points.
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,455

Post#182 » by svart » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:51 am

killmongrel wrote:Okay, guys, tell me that Kuminga is just having some underwhelming games and he'll eventually get back to his super star ways.

Kuminga is just having some underwhelming games and he'll eventually get back to his super star ways

You're welcome.

Joking aside, as said before, this sis a bad mtchup for heim.

Also, we are still to small and kerr is again going smaller.
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#183 » by killmongrel » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:53 am

floppymoose wrote:
killmongrel wrote:When he's only scoring 13 points as the second option, it's not the only problem, but it is a problem. He can get better and more consistent going forward though.

I loved JKs game tonight. 5-6FG, 3-4FT, 4 assists. He kept it simple and made the right play. His presence was part of why his teammates were open.

When he gets 13 and no one else is scoring then i could see complaining. His team scored 140 points.

Winning is the important thing. But we still almost pissed away a big lead to a bad team.

By the way, I don't think this is a contending team. So let's get that out of the way. What I'm interested in is hoping Kuminga continues to look better and up his stock value for the rest of the season. Because that's going to be important if this organization wants to keep this narrative that he's the second option. Because if this is the kind of games we are going to see from him more often than not, then this team cannot continue pushing the idea that this guy is untouchable.
svart
Analyst

Post#184 » by svart » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:53 am

CDM_Stats wrote:Prime MJ, Prime Kobe, Prime Bench Klay

:lol: :lol: :lol:
svart
Analyst

Post#185 » by svart » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:56 am

Sandy333 wrote:Today game showed the reason we lost close games, we have no clutch scorer or any scorer apart from Steph. Our shooting outside of steph is poor esp if Thompson is off. Podz , Moody and Kuminga need to forget the hype and really improve thier own shooting .

yeah, Moody almost costed us the game........
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#186 » by killmongrel » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:59 am

svart wrote:
killmongrel wrote:Okay, guys, tell me that Kuminga is just having some underwhelming games and he'll eventually get back to his super star ways.

Kuminga is just having some underwhelming games and he'll eventually get back to his super star ways

You're welcome.

Thank you. I don't know why this is so difficult for some people.
superunknown
Bench Warmer
And1: 460

Post#187 » by superunknown » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:03 am

as mentioned by another poster already, really don't understand why they don't run a curry/kuminga pick&roll consistently to create missmatch after missmatch and force the opponents to make a choice. no one wants to help off curry and kuminga can blow past most of smaller/slower defenders to go straght to the basket or at least forcing the D to help therefore leaving someone else wide open.
sometimes less is more, you can be effective running simple plays until someone figures out how to actually stop it, if possible.
kerr's always been to stubborn, a taleban, with his motion offense and whatnot. I mean, he didn't even run steph/KD pick&roll as much as they could back in the days, and no one really ever figured out how to stop it (because it's simply not possible to stop a steph/KD pick&roll. you can only pick your poison). that's always been mindblowing, also considering the other guy on the floor was klay pre-injuried, it's a testament on the actual kerr's quality as HC.
basketball is a game of matchups and missmatches, if you have an advantage/missmatch you ride that advantage/missmatch relentlessly until you can exploit it, even if not cute or looks boring.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#188 » by Crazy-Canuck » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:05 am

svart wrote:
Sandy333 wrote:Today game showed the reason we lost close games, we have no clutch scorer or any scorer apart from Steph. Our shooting outside of steph is poor esp if Thompson is off. Podz , Moody and Kuminga need to forget the hype and really improve thier own shooting .

We get into trouble in close games:

Kerr makes poor rotation choices.
He plays small and places emphasis on ball handling and shooting, but ignores rebounding and defense.
We go to a steph centric offense. We can't complain when others aren't involved when they arent allowed to get involved. So, when steph is great, we win the close ones. When the offense struggles, we lose the close ones.
Rebounding and defense is the bigger issue. If we get stops and get the rebound, there's less pressure on steph to save us.

But kerr's default is always to go small with no rebounding and no defense. And that's what kills us.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#189 » by killmongrel » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:07 am

superunknown wrote:as mentioned by another poster already, really don't understand why they don't run a curry/kuminga pick&roll consistently to create missmatch after missmatch and force the opponents to make a choice. no one wants to help off curry and kuminga can blow past most of smaller/slower defenders to go straght to the basket or at least forcing the D to help therefore leaving someone else wide open.
sometimes less is more, you can be effective running simple plays until someone figures out how to actually stop it, if possible.
kerr's always been to stubborn, a taleban, with his motion offense and whatnot. I mean, he didn't even run steph/KD pick&roll as much as they could back in the days, and no one really ever figured out how to stop it (because it's simply not possible to stop a steph/KD pick&roll. you can only pick your poison). that's always been mindblowing, also considering the other guy on the floor was klay pre-injuried, it's a testament on the actual kerr's quality as HC.
basketball is a game of matchups and missmatches, if you have an advantage/missmatch you ride that advantage/missmatch relentlessly until you can exploit it, even if not cute or looks boring.

Wasn't Kerr's explanation for this was: "Because not everybody is involved." Lulz.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,178

Post#190 » by watch1958 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:36 am

cpower wrote:
SinceGatlingWasARookie wrote:
cpower wrote:we are the same team, will keep losing like this in March and April

No, I believe.
We will not blow 4th quarter leads in March.

sure but we just blew 2 leads yesterday and today. :lol:
We blew two leads, but today we didn’t swallow.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#191 » by Sandy333 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:59 am

Crazy-Canuck wrote:
svart wrote:

We get into trouble in close games:

Kerr makes poor rotation choices.
He plays small and places emphasis on ball handling and shooting, but ignores rebounding and defense.
We go to a steph centric offense. We can't complain when others aren't involved when they arent allowed to get involved. So, when steph is great, we win the close ones. When the offense struggles, we lose the close ones.
Rebounding and defense is the bigger issue. If we get stops and get the rebound, there's less pressure on steph to save us.

But kerr's default is always to go small with no rebounding and no defense. And that's what kills us.

We had the best defensive team with podz, steph, Kuminga, Draymond, Wiggins and we couldnot score against Clippers and they could score every time with the doubling of Harden. We could add GP2 to the team, but who do you replace, no ball handling without Podz( all on steph), similar to Wiggins, kuminga.
It is sorry state of affairs at the warriors coaching academy that Moody and kuminga have not been able to develop reliable shooting after three years.
Warriors are a middling team at best.
It also seems steph has given up on this team and is playing very loose, so many turnovers in the last two games.
billinder33
Junior
And1: 87

Post#192 » by billinder33 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:02 am

Onus wrote:I’m mean really we don’t have a true 2nd option. Most 2nd options are at the very least top 30 players.

So most teams don't have a 2nd option? There are only 30 teams in the league.
hamncheese
Assistant Coach
And1: 849

Post#193 » by hamncheese » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:03 am

From game 6 Klay to 6th man Klay.
Bob Myers, June 7, 2018: "“It’s not in my job description to please NBA fans. It’s to win, end of story. I don’t need to be entertained, I just need to win. That’s all it is. That’s all I was hired to do. Win.”
svart
Analyst

Post#194 » by svart » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:08 am

billinder33 wrote:
Onus wrote:I’m mean really we don’t have a true 2nd option. Most 2nd options are at the very least top 30 players.

Onus, most of the team means by your definition max half of the teams :)))))))

Check math.
billinder33
Junior
And1: 87

Post#195 » by billinder33 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 11:12 am

Despite all the blown Q4 leads, it's been a great last 10 game stretch.

Unfortunately, looking at the teams within reach ahead of us, they've all had great 10 game stretches except the Kings, who only went 5-5. So despite the great run of late, sadly we really haven't made up much ground.

Still a lot of ball left tho. Gotta keep chopping wood
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,398

Post#196 » by Onus » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:18 pm

billinder33 wrote:

You’re joking right. Most contending teams have 2 top 30 players. Brown and Tatum, bam and butler, Murray and Jokic, Gianni’s and dame, etc.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,398

Post#197 » by Onus » Fri Feb 16, 2024 1:19 pm

svart wrote:
billinder33 wrote:

Check math.

Checking math yes more than half the teams aren’t contenders. Lmao

Even the sorry ass lakers have ad and Lebron.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#198 » by Sandy333 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:57 pm

Onus wrote:
svart wrote:
billinder33 wrote:

Check math.

Checking math yes more than half the teams aren’t contenders. Lmao

Even the sorry ass lakers have ad and Lebron.

Yes, all top teams definitely have it. Clippers have 3.5, suns have 3 or atleast 2.5.
killmongrel
Veteran

Post#199 » by killmongrel » Fri Feb 16, 2024 4:17 pm

Onus wrote:
billinder33 wrote:

You’re joking right. Most contending teams have 2 top 30 players. Brown and Tatum, bam and butler, Murray and Jokic, Gianni’s and dame, etc.

I'm not sure if top 30 is correct, but you're correct that anybody considered "contenders" have two players that are high on the list.

Kawhi/PG
Tatum/Brown
Jokic/Murray
Giannis/Lillard
Embiid/Maxey
Butler/Bam
Booker/KD
Luka/Irving

The Lakers have two top 10(?) players but are severely underperforming though.

Steph is one of the only super stars without a legit "second option" at the moment. Klay has been inconsistent. And Kuminga ain't the guy yet. Wiggins shouldn't be considered as such going forward.

So either the Warriors hope Kuminga becomes that guy or they get one in the off season.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,120

Post#200 » by CDM_Stats » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:29 pm

I know people are killing the team for its defense against the Jazz but after rewatch, the Jazz just hit a ton of contested shots and even did well with the open ones - better than average at least - and the Warriors not only kept pace, but won. Even with the late game meltdown

I think the biggest takeaway from this game, and the entire series, is that plan 1A should not be to just give the ball to Steph and hope for the best anymore. It not only puts pressure on him, but takes everyone else out of rhythm

Return to Golden State Warriors