ImageImageImageImageImage

We need a playable starting center

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Re: We need a playable starting center 

Post#41 » by Coxy » Sun Dec 3, 2023 11:28 pm

jozef wrote:Nurkic just dropped 31 points on Jokic and my guy DiVincenzo shot 7-9 3P making it .435 3P% this season.
And Yurtseven in his 5th start 4-8 FG, 14 rebs, 4asts, 1 stl, 1 blk, game-high +10.

Dereck Lively II - 20 pnts, 16 rbs, 1 stl, 7 blocks, 9-9 FGA and +12 for Dallas yesterday.
Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#42 » by Sandy333 » Mon Dec 4, 2023 11:14 am

Now even other teamspp are mentioning that making use of lack of rim Protection centers at warriors is a clear and easy statergy for them. With Looney and Greens diminishing athleticism, this glaring hole is getting wider each week.
Our two starting center candidates are looney and green have almost zero offensive ability. Saric is good offensively , but defensively worse than looney and green.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#43 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Dec 4, 2023 11:51 am

Nba salary cap is at 136M.

Our 3 guard small line up is at 125M (steph, klay, and cp3).

The savings need to come from somewhere.

Loon and saric make 9.5M. We are getting great value from our C position.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,716

Post#44 » by Warriorfan » Mon Dec 4, 2023 9:08 pm

ILOVEIT wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:
Coxy wrote:
Look around the league now. We got away with Loon at C for the last run, but the league has changed again with more young athletic centres with skills that he just can't keep up with now. Add in the fact that he looks a step slower and older this season as well.

Looney won't age well in the league. Hell, he didn't age well as a young player either. He may need a walker at age 30.

Stats not lining up with posted opinions.

Green has been injured and suspended half the season.
GS is 1pt away from top 10 in points in the paint defense
They have played multiple games against Min and Clev

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/opponent-points-in-paint-per-game

Warriors top 10 in RB

https://www.nba.com/stats/teams/rebounding?dir=D&sort=REB_CONTEST

I have a fact for you.....back in the day the Warriors, a 20 win team, would be top 3 in redounding. Primarily because they shot like crap, 1, and 2, begin their players COULD ONLY REBOUND!!!! Eric Dampier, Larry Smith! whoohoo.

If Draymond and Looney don't score, block shots...both better bloody rebound AT LEAST.

You just posted uncited opinion so far. Plus feel free to look up the shooting pct of Thompson and Wiggins as Warriors.

Will always be a fact Green and Looney can be bigs for multiple champions
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#45 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Dec 4, 2023 11:18 pm

Coxy wrote:
jozef wrote:Nurkic just dropped 31 points on Jokic and my guy DiVincenzo shot 7-9 3P making it .435 3P% this season.
And Yurtseven in his 5th start 4-8 FG, 14 rebs, 4asts, 1 stl, 1 blk, game-high +10.

Dereck Lively II - 20 pnts, 16 rbs, 1 stl, 7 blocks, 9-9 FGA and +12 for Dallas yesterday.

Love Podz and Trayce but Lively would have been nice. We would have had to trade up in the draft.

Would Kerr play a rookie? There are valid reasons for not playing rookies.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#46 » by jozef » Mon Dec 4, 2023 11:21 pm

https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/points-in-paint-per-game
Dead last. They score 5 less points in the paint than in previous seasons.
If you cannot see it in these videos...
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,583

Post#47 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Tue Dec 5, 2023 1:26 am

jozef wrote:https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/points-in-paint-per-game

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this: our problem is we aren't scoring enough points in the paint?

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,599

Post#48 » by HiRez » Tue Dec 5, 2023 1:35 am

He's not the ideal starting center, but if Kerr would play him, TJD probably would be our best starting center by the end of the year. But we all know he's not going to play him. Saric isn't a C and Loon is great but just really limited in many ways. We're stuck with a list of compromises there, as always. I don't see them making a move for a C either, if they make a trade it's gonna be for a wing and an undersized one wouldn't surprise me either.
jozef
Sixth Man

Post#49 » by jozef » Tue Dec 5, 2023 5:37 am

Chris Porter's Hair wrote:

I just want to make sure I'm understanding this: our problem is we aren't scoring enough points in the paint?

Are you kidding me? I created this thread and 2 Youtube videos. Just very first scenes in them should make it clear for everybody.
Starting centers in the league would finish those plays with an authority. The execution would click and set the tone. Instead of it the team runs in the mud.
Chris Porter's Hair
Forum Mod - Warriors
Forum Mod - Warriors
And1: 3,583

Post#50 » by Chris Porter's Hair » Tue Dec 5, 2023 4:09 pm

jozef wrote:

Are you kidding me? I created this thread and 2 Youtube videos. Just very first scenes in them should make it clear for everybody.
Starting centers in the league would finish those plays with an authority. The execution would click and set the tone. Instead of it the team runs in the mud.

Okay, good. I do understand what you're trying to say, so I now know not to bother looking in here again heh

Are we bad at scoring in the paint? Yup. Is that the problem with this team right now? To quote a famous basketball scholar, "Are you kidding me?"

crzyyafrican makes the best sigs, quite frankly
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,113

Post#51 » by whatisacenter » Tue Dec 5, 2023 4:31 pm

jozef wrote:
Chris Porter's Hair wrote:I just want to make sure I'm understanding this: our problem is we aren't scoring enough points in the paint?

Okay, good. I do understand what you're trying to say, so I now know not to bother looking in here again heh

Are we bad at scoring in the paint? Yup. Is that the problem with this team right now? To quote a famous basketball scholar, "Are you kidding me?"

While I don't agree with some of the suggestions by the OP the reliance on the 3pt shot has never been greater than this season. The team can look great when the shots are falling but they have no other scoring option. Curry is really the only guy who can get to the cup and the roster lacks athletes who can finish at the rim. Defense is also a huge issue and the team has maybe 1 1/2 two-way players on the roster which is a major problem IMO.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#52 » by Crazy-Canuck » Tue Dec 5, 2023 4:54 pm

whatisacenter wrote:
jozef wrote:Are you kidding me? I created this thread and 2 Youtube videos. Just very first scenes in them should make it clear for everybody.

While I don't agree with some of the suggestions by the OP the reliance on the 3pt shot has never been greater than this season. The team can look great when the shots are falling but they have no other scoring option. Curry is really the only guy who can get to the cup and the roster lacks athletes who can finish at the rim. Defense is also a huge issue and the team has maybe 1 1/2 two-way players on the roster which is a major problem IMO.

Points at the rim, we are seeing a bit of a drop off.

Wiggs has been consistent at about 3,5 attempts per game at about 65%
Loon is also consistent at about 3.1 attempts at 65%.

Even in their championship year, those 2 are about the same.

The drop off comes after those 2. No one else is getting to the rim.

In 2021, we had 5 guys with over 3 rim attempts per game.

steph was at 3.6 attempts at 60%
Wiggs 3.6 at 68%
Loon 3.4 at 68%
Poole 3.4 at 60%
Jk at 3.3 at 70%

That was with both Loon and dray and the supposed lack of spacing

Now
Wiggs at 3.5 at 64%
Loon 3.1 at 66%

No one else over 3.

This year, no one else is getting anything at the rim. Steph has dropped his attempts by almost a half.
No one has replaced poole. It doesn't have to be a big, just someone to get to the rim.
Instead the team is settling for multiple dribble (3+) 3 point shots at about a 30% clip. The 1 or 0 dribble 3's, the dubs are hitting +40% on those.

We essentially replaced rim pressure with bad 3 pt shots.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,120

Post#53 » by CDM_Stats » Tue Dec 5, 2023 5:13 pm

We need a playable backup PF tbh. Kerr has not addressed this, because I dont think he can. There was no safety net for Kuminga doing poorly, and he certainly has. A lot of people suggest TJD to get minutes but TJD's not very good and is getting outplayed in the GL by Garuba

We also need an acknowledgement that the way this team is going to win is with our defense, and our best defensive unit is not our starting lineup like it has been in years' past. Kerr has started to address this, if he keeps subbing Moody as first guy off the bench, subbing in for Klay at 6min mark

We ALSO need Wiggins and Klay to be more perimeter threats, because the reason that Curry isn't getting to the rim as much is because there's way less concern defensively about closing out on them, which gives the defense time to recover on rolls. Draymond's attacking more because of it, which is why he's shooting more. Kerr has been addressing this in various ways, but he's clearly ok with one step back, hoping it results in 2 forward
jozef
Sixth Man

Post#54 » by jozef » Tue Dec 5, 2023 6:24 pm

Crazy-Canuck wrote:This year, no one else is getting anything at the rim. Steph has dropped his attempts by almost a half.
No one has replaced poole. It doesn't have to be a big, just someone to get to the rim.
Instead the team is settling for multiple dribble (3+) 3 point shots at about a 30% clip. The 1 or 0 dribble 3's, the dubs are hitting +40% on those.

They try to get at the rim.

Jester_
General Manager
And1: 1,055

Post#55 » by Jester_ » Wed Dec 6, 2023 5:35 am

Yeah I'm utterly befuddled by this guy - I can't tell if he's come out of a 10 year coma
GQ Hot Dog wrote:Kerr has done more with the least talent available of any coach in the history of the game.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#56 » by Crazy-Canuck » Wed Dec 6, 2023 6:06 am

jozef wrote:
Crazy-Canuck wrote:This year, no one else is getting anything at the rim. Steph has dropped his attempts by almost a half.

They try to get at the rim.

Replacing loon with either vuc or nurk adds a whole 3 more points in the paint per game which would still leave us dead last.

The problem isn't our bigs, the problem is kerr playing steph, klay, and cp3 for long stretches. And the 2 guys that actually do get pitp (loon and wiggins) got their minutes cut.

Steph, klay, and cp3 average a combined 100 minutes and 1.1 shot attempts in the paint and 2.2 points per game.

Moody avgs 1.1 fga and 1.7 pts
Jk avgs 1.4 fga and 1.9 pts.

Not having dray hurt, because he loves finding those cutters.
Not giving cp3 a pnr threat also hurts (saric is a bad finisher) His best partner is actually wiggins on a roll, but kerr doesn't like to use it.

A better rotation and a healthy dray, we aren't the worst anymore.
jozef
Sixth Man

Post#57 » by jozef » Wed Dec 6, 2023 7:11 am

Replacing loon with either vuc or nurk adds a whole offensive package on the floor. Just in these videos you see blatant samples how scared, hidden and untrusted Kevon and Dario are around the basket and there is good reason for it - limited athleticism. They could play starting center spot in EuroLeague, not in the NBA.
Speaking of 10 year coma, I posted videos from THIS 2023-24 season... I did my best to convince you but I cannot open your eyes.
BG
Sixth Man
And1: 458

Post#58 » by BG » Wed Dec 6, 2023 8:31 am

Maybe you should post even more videos...
Warriors!!!
jozef
Sixth Man

Post#59 » by jozef » Fri Dec 8, 2023 10:39 pm

Blocks total:
#1 Brook Lopez 62
#98 Klay Thompson 11
#108 Draymond Green 10
#146 Kevon Looney, Trayce Jackson-Davis, Andrew Wiggins, Jonathan Kuminga, Moses Moody 7

Blocks per 36 minutes Warriors team:
#1 TJD 2.5
#2 Draymond 1.1
#3 Klay 0.7
#4 Moses 0.6
#5 JK 0.6
#6 GP2 0.6
#7 Wiggs 0.5
#8 Kevon 0.5
#9 Dario 0.5
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,316

Post#60 » by DonaldSanders » Sat Dec 9, 2023 12:49 am

While we could use a better starting center, we could use a better player at a lot of positions at this point. To me SG is by far the biggest need, if we had an efficient 2nd scorer who could also handle the ball some to keep some heat off of Steph, that would be the biggest possible upgrade.

Center has never been am offensive priority in the last 4 chips. Looney isn't playing elite defense right now, but it's still pretty good in combo with Dray. I think if we actually had a strong SG this team would look very different.

Return to Golden State Warriors