ImageImageImageImageImage

Trayce Jackson-Davis = Green's Replacement?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

ShootersShoot
Sixth Man
And1: 1,345

Re: Trayce Jackson-Davis = Green's Replacement? 

Post#41 » by ShootersShoot » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:18 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Loon definitely getting underrated, I mean dude was our 3rd most important player during our championship run 18 months ago :lol:

Loon has clear weaknesses that are TJD strengths..I think along with saric they will make a quality rotation.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#42 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Dec 25, 2023 2:40 am

Jester_ wrote:
Romulus wrote:TJD can't shoot a 3 to save his life. He does have limits. But the real question is simple: is he better than anything else on the roster (Looney)?

The answer appears to be an overwhelming yes. He should play a lot until we find out he can't.

Bingo

Not everybody has to be able to shoot 3s.
If your team has guys that can shoot 3s coming off screens a non-3 point shooting big can create floor spacing just by dragging his man out to 3 point line by setting a pick at the 3 point line for his 3 point shooting teammate.

I hate people thinking that good bigs are not good because they can not shoot 3s.

Looney was better than JaMychal Green even though JaMychal Green could shoot 3s. Looney was better than Bejelica. Last year’s Looney was better than Saric and I see no reason why Looney won’t get back to playing like last year’s Looney.
Sandy333
Sophomore
And1: 52

Post#43 » by Sandy333 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 5:01 pm

TJD is better than current looney, not the looney from couple of years ago. But comparing to the versatility of peak draymond is not possible.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#44 » by jozef » Tue Dec 26, 2023 9:45 pm

I see no reason why anybody could expect an improvement of Looney's athleticism.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,301

Post#45 » by Impuniti » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:12 am

KevinMcreynolds wrote:Loon definitely getting underrated, I mean dude was our 3rd most important player during our championship run 18 months ago :lol:

Loon was not more important than either Green or especially Wiggins. He was more in the same tier as Klay and JP in terms of importance, where you flip and switch depending on the team.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#46 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Wed Dec 27, 2023 2:17 am

Impuniti wrote:

Loon was not more important than either Green or especially Wiggins. He was more in the same tier as Klay and JP in terms of importance, where you flip and switch depending on the team.

The 5 starters ability to cover for each other and rotate meant that any one of them could give help and double or sag towards the rim or sag towards the ball and the others could sag to cover an open spot on the floor or saf to cover 2 men. 2022 playoff defense was high basketball IQ sophisticated defense and Looney was good at that.
jozef
Sixth Man

Post#47 » by jozef » Wed Dec 27, 2023 10:16 am

Loon was benched in the Finals and was easily replaceable part of the lineup. Period.
Mac1958
Pro Prospect
And1: 335

Post#48 » by Mac1958 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:53 am

You're not going to find another peak Draymond Green to replace Draymond Green. So looking for one, or making direct comparisons, is pointless.

But TJD has a really nice skill set, plus he's smart and plays with some fire. If it were up to me, I'd put him in the 4 right now and set my sights on a center with range. This was an awesome pickup, a guy I was hoping they could grab in the first round.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,301

Post#49 » by Impuniti » Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:21 pm

The entire premise of this topic is confusing. JK is more of a 3 in my opinion, but he's much closer to a replacement to Dray than Trayce. Trayce would be a replacement for Looney.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,120

Post#50 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Dec 27, 2023 5:59 pm

Impuniti wrote:

Yup.. people frequently rank importance based on their expectations and/or end results. Looney was great during that run, and it was finally being recognized that he was a critical part of the defense

But there's also something to be said about the on/off splits and who's behind them. Looney's importance was magnified because most people see backups linearly, so they'd assume Nemo was the replacement if Looney wasnt there, and that would be terrible, thus making Looney more important. But really his backup was OPJ, and he did great in the role too, so.. :dontknow:
sonnyhill
Pro Prospect
And1: 222

Post#51 » by sonnyhill » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:05 pm

Impuniti wrote:The entire premise of this topic is confusing. JK is more of a 3 in my opinion, but he's much closer to a replacement to Dray than Trayce. Trayce would be a replacement for Looney.

Smart and on-point post.
Upperclass
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,801

Post#52 » by Upperclass » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:42 am

If they had a center, Jackson-Davis would fit well at PF. But they also need a SF and lost value on Wiggins and Kuminga. The entire team needs a reset
michaelm
RealGM
And1: 4,797

Post#53 » by michaelm » Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:03 am

Upperclass wrote:If they had a center, Jackson-Davis would fit well at PF. But they also need a SF and lost value on Wiggins and Kuminga. The entire team needs a reset

Nonsense. Why are you writing off a 28 year old Wiggins who was great in the last title run and looks to be rounding back into form after forced recuperation in the off season from a rib fracture courtesy of LeBron. He isn’t a good playmaking PF, but who other than Kerr thought he was ?.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,648

Post#54 » by GSWFan1994 » Sat Jan 6, 2024 2:34 pm

Read on Twitter
Warriors Analyst
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,696

Post#55 » by Warriors Analyst » Sat Jan 6, 2024 5:44 pm

jozef wrote:Loon was benched in the Finals and was easily replaceable part of the lineup. Period.

You are re-writing history to fit your tired narrative. The starting lineup with Otto had a negative net rating in the Finals. Kerr good Looney to sub in automatically whenever the Celtics went to single-big lineups. Andre Iguodala talked about this at length on his podcast. Looney was on the court for most of the fourth quarter of Game 4 (and when Draymond sat), which was the game that decided the series. The Warriors, per FiveThirtyEight, “they outscored the Celtics by 12 in points from the paint, while they were outscored by 6 in that area during his 20 minutes on the bench.”

Looney has been worse this season. But your obsession with his lack of athletic ability is exhausting and so single-minded that your view of the recent past is warped and incorrect.
jozef
Sixth Man

Post#56 » by jozef » Sat Jan 6, 2024 6:20 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
Loon definitely getting underrated, I mean dude was our 3rd most important player during our championship run 18 months ago

jozef wrote:
Loon was benched in the Finals and was easily replaceable part of the lineup. Period.

What did I re-write??
Otto +/- as starter was -1, +6, +3. Simply any 3rd most important player cannot be moved to the bench and averaging 22 minutes as Loon did. Nonsense. Kevon Looney combined for 8! points in Game 4, 5 and 6. It is 2,67 points per game... Are you kidding me?
It is not exhausting obsession and single-minded view. It is the truth. Ongoing struggle. He was easily replacable then and his fitness deteriorated this season. The difference between Looney+Saric and TJD+Kuminga is mind boggling. Go hit the gym and track and fields for a while and maybe you get that "single-minded" view too.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,240

Post#57 » by EvanZ » Sat Jan 6, 2024 6:51 pm

Upperclass wrote:If they had a center, Jackson-Davis would fit well at PF. But they also need a SF and lost value on Wiggins and Kuminga. The entire team needs a reset

TJD is a 5. He is absolutely not a 4 in the modern NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,360

Post#58 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Tue Jan 9, 2024 9:24 pm

EvanZ wrote:

TJD is a 5. He is absolutely not a 4 in the modern NBA.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

The starting PF for each team with an SRS of 2.0+ whose best player isn't the starting PF:

Prozingis
Tobias Harris
Obi Toppin
Giddey?
Aaron Gordon
Jabari Smith

I don't know if there is really an NBA prototype for PF. I'm sure he could play next to a lot of quality centers in the NBA. We just don't have one.

Green wasn't a starting PF when he came in. The Warriors just made him fit.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,166

Post#59 » by TB » Tue Jan 9, 2024 10:08 pm

The NBA prototype for a PF has shifted to almost always having to be capable defensively on the perimeter as well as somewhat able to stretch the floor on the offense.... at the very least gotta be one of those things to be a quality starter. Maybe I'm forgetting an outlier, but Trayce would be one of the only PFs that can't guard on the perimeter on defense and also can't shoot on offense to space the floor.

I haven't watched a ton of Wolves games, but I'm actually pretty interested in what type of scheme they are doing to cover KATs inability to guard on the perimeter.... my guess is he just sells out on close outs and Rudy cleans up any blow by's? Not to mention Jaden, Ant, Conley all capable help defenders.
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,716

Post#60 » by Warriorfan » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:20 am

Looney insurance

Return to Golden State Warriors