ImageImageImageImageImage

What do you think this organization does in the summer.

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Jerry Maine
Sixth Man
And1: 740

Re: What do you think this organization does in the summer. 

Post#41 » by Jerry Maine » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:37 pm

Klay is probably worth 8 per, and will likely get offered at least the tpmle from some team. He can still put up 30 when he's on. He's Kyle Korer with championship pedigree.

Curry likely wants him back but I doubt the team pays him a legacy contract after the last deal, something around 10per makes a lot of sense if he's shown he can play well as an off-the-bench gunner. If he wants above that, or struggles to adapt to his new reality, they should let him walk.
"What're they gonna say now, boy?" - Wardell Stephen Curry, 16th June 2022
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,178

Post#42 » by watch1958 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:43 pm

floppymoose wrote:I dont see any reason resign Klay at any price. At this point min salary folks are about as good.
Kerr will always give Klay an inflated role as long as they're together, whether it's $40M or $10M.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
watch1958
General Manager
And1: 1,178

Post#43 » by watch1958 » Sat Feb 10, 2024 12:46 pm

Jerry Maine wrote:Klay is probably worth 8 per, and will likely get offered at least the tpmle from some team. He can still put up 30 when he's on. He's Kyle Korer with championship pedigree.

Curry likely wants him back but I doubt the team pays him a legacy contract after the last deal, something around 10per makes a lot of sense if he's shown he can play well as an off-the-bench gunner. If he wants above that, or struggles to adapt to his new reality, they should let him walk.
I think that's the sticking point. Klay won't show that unless Kerr makes him a 15 minute per game bench guy. This season. Right now. Today against Phoenix.
This movie is like the Rocky Horror Picture Show where everyone knows all the lines.
Jerry Maine
Sixth Man
And1: 740

Post#44 » by Jerry Maine » Sat Feb 10, 2024 4:26 pm

Kerr has given Klay every opportunity this season, but lately finished games with others. Klay has spoken about how hard it is having once been one of the league's top players. Things seem to be finally moving in the right direction regarding Klay, hopefully he carves out a mutually beneficial role post all-star break. Who knows
"What're they gonna say now, boy?" - Wardell Stephen Curry, 16th June 2022
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#45 » by killmongrel » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:12 pm

I'm like the rest of you, they should lowball the hell out of Klay and only let him return to the team if he accepts a smaller role.
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 460

Post#46 » by Romulus » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:36 pm

GswStorm3 wrote:I said a few days ago I think they'll let Klay and CP3 walk.

Yep. Think this has been the plan for a long, long time now. It's why they didn't trade CP3 at the deadline even though he was a great trading piece.

At this point, Lacob is tired of paying the tax. And since they won a championship a few years ago? Well, that's really not a concern anymore.
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 460

Post#47 » by Romulus » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:38 pm

Jerry Maine wrote:Kerr has given Klay every opportunity this season, but lately finished games with others. Klay has spoken about how hard it is having once been one of the league's top players. Things seem to be finally moving in the right direction regarding Klay, hopefully he carves out a mutually beneficial role post all-star break. Who knows

These last games are really the last opportunity for Klay and the FO to figure out where he fits, how he can help. I do believe he'll have some good games. I'm just wondering though, whether he thinks he can be better on another roster. Warriors will surely make him an offer, though one that will likely disappoint Klay greatly.
Old_Blue
Veteran
And1: 793

Post#48 » by Old_Blue » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:33 pm

Romulus wrote:
Jerry Maine wrote:Kerr has given Klay every opportunity this season, but lately finished games with others. Klay has spoken about how hard it is having once been one of the league's top players. Things seem to be finally moving in the right direction regarding Klay, hopefully he carves out a mutually beneficial role post all-star break. Who knows

These last games are really the last opportunity for Klay and the FO to figure out where he fits, how he can help. I do believe he'll have some good games. I'm just wondering though, whether he thinks he can be better on another roster. Warriors will surely make him an offer, though one that will likely disappoint Klay greatly.

It was madness for Klay to reject the 2 year/$48 million extension that was reportedly put in front of him. That said, perhaps Klay's doing so opens up another avenue for the franchise - in the same way that Harrison Barnes rejecting his extension offer opened the door for KD's arrival.
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,299

Post#49 » by Impuniti » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:37 pm

Jerry Maine wrote:Klay is probably worth 8 per, and will likely get offered at least the tpmle from some team. He can still put up 30 when he's on. He's Kyle Korer with championship pedigree.

He already had a legacy contract

90 million before stepping on the court with injuries
Then a 10m guy grabbing 40m+ for 2 1/2 years after that

What legacy contract? Do they want to give him a supermax when he's 39 years old? :lol:
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,299

Post#50 » by Impuniti » Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:48 pm

Romulus wrote:

Yep. Think this has been the plan for a long, long time now. It's why they didn't trade CP3 at the deadline even though he was a great trading piece.

At this point, Lacob is tired of paying the tax. And since they won a championship a few years ago? Well, that's really not a concern anymore.

It hasn't been the plan for that long, they offered Klay 48/2 early into the season after watching that debacle of his performance from last season. Lacob being tired of paying the tax is fair, the issue is paying the tax for mediocre players.
Old_Blue
Veteran
And1: 793

Post#51 » by Old_Blue » Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:48 pm

Impuniti wrote:
Romulus wrote:

It hasn't been the plan for that long, they offered Klay 48/2 early into the season after watching that debacle of his performance from last season. Lacob being tired of paying the tax is fair, the issue is paying the tax for mediocre players.

I think Lacob intends to send a message to the entire League - Your new luxury tax rules were specifically aimed at the Warriors. Fine. Let's get under the cap then. Now, you're going to reap $180 million less in luxury tax to be redistributed to all those teams that voted in favor of these new rules. That means that those leech organizations throughout the League that make little to no effort to market themselves and win will be seeing a much smaller annual welfare check next season. :D
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#52 » by B-King » Mon Feb 12, 2024 1:53 am

1. Convert Lester Quinones.
2. Trade CP3, Moody and 2nd round pick if needed to Orlando for Jonathan Isaac and Joe Ingles.
3. Decline option on Ingles.
4. Let the Klay Thompson show/drama play out.
JustBuzzin
General Manager
And1: 6,897

Post#53 » by JustBuzzin » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:07 am

Steph Curry/Charlotte

Just keep an eye on this rumor this offseason. It's being discussed for sure. Curry still hasn't made a decision though. Will likely come down to how they improve the roster. Does Dray go to the Lakers? Possibility... Klay leave in FA? Possibility...

Curry has all this in consideration. Don't shoot the messenger...
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,964

Post#54 » by cdubbz » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:10 am

TB wrote:Lux tax - 171m
1st apron - 179m
2nd apron - 190m

With no trades, and before Klay/CP3 figured out, plus adding Q as a minimum....

11 players - 146m

Lets add Klay for roughly 20m

12 players - 166m

Lets assume we want to use the TPMLE of roughly 5m

13 players - 171m

Now, at this point that 14th player being a vet minimum would actually allow for the 13m MLE rather than the 5m TPMLE...

Or, we use the CP3 contract and other assets to try and bring in a non-FA via trade that keeps us under the 190 2nd apron. This is my guess for what we will do, since I don't think we will be a huge FA destination with so many rotation spots pretty much locked up.

And of course, Klay's play this year could totally change that "estimate" of 20m into something where we can use the TPMLE and use part of CP3 for a trade. But my guess is, even with his warts, a 40% shooter that is capable of 15+ PPG is going to get somewhere in that range.

This is my long way of saying, expect a very similar team with CP3 and Saric replaced by whatever we use the MLE and a trade on. The only way its drastically different is if we have a shot at a major trade that would send not only CP3 and picks, but also some of our young assets.

Thanks for this. Answered my question of 'What can the Warriors do?'

Dunleavy Jr already knows the cap situation and possibilities and I'm sure Klay's camp knows the math. Klay wants the big pay check, but to stay with the Warriors and chance to improve I hope Klay is willing to take $10-12m.

What are examples of older and former star players taking a huge pay cut in their early to mid 30s? David West was a lot older when he joined the Warriors and passed up whatever salary he could have gotten with the Pacers.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
Dubs 707
Junior
And1: 147

Post#55 » by Dubs 707 » Mon Feb 12, 2024 2:31 am

Old_Blue wrote:
Impuniti wrote:
Romulus wrote:

I think Lacob intends to send a message to the entire League - Your new luxury tax rules were specifically aimed at the Warriors. Fine. Let's get under the cap then. Now, you're going to reap $180 million less in luxury tax to be redistributed to all those teams that voted in favor of these new rules. That means that those leech organizations throughout the League that make little to no effort to market themselves and win will be seeing a much smaller annual welfare check next season. :D

Oh no, other teams perfer to win in have parity! How dare they!!
Looney for MVP
Winning Against Rivals Regularly In Our Running Style
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,119

Post#56 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:57 pm

JustBuzzin wrote:Steph Curry/Charlotte

Just keep an eye on this rumor this offseason. It's being discussed for sure. Curry still hasn't made a decision though. Will likely come down to how they improve the roster. Does Dray go to the Lakers? Possibility... Klay leave in FA? Possibility...

Curry has all this in consideration. Don't shoot the messenger...

lol no one will shoot you for fantasy booking.. but really doubt Steph leans on the team to trade him to Charlotte. If anywhere, it'd be to a winning team, and only if the Warriors completely fold. Not sure what the Lakers would have to offer us for Dray, but ok..

Klay leaving in FA? Don't you threaten us with a good time
Dom801e
Veteran
And1: 861

Post#57 » by Dom801e » Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:58 pm

I do think they make an attempt at Markkanen. After the draft they can trade 2 firsts and 2 swaps. Given he is on last year of contract that might be in the ballpark.

Steph/Wiggins/Lauri/Kuminga/Draymond looks like a good fit to me. With GP2, Looney, and the rest of the young guys off the bench.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,398

Post#58 » by Onus » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:45 pm

Dom801e wrote:I do think they make an attempt at Markkanen. After the draft they can trade 2 firsts and 2 swaps. Given he is on last year of contract that might be in the ballpark.

Steph/Wiggins/Lauri/Kuminga/Draymond looks like a good fit to me. With GP2, Looney, and the rest of the young guys off the bench.

They probably want JK also. Would you do that plus the picks?
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#59 » by killmongrel » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:36 pm

Well at least we now know they're actually interested in LBJ. But that's what I always figured, they go for a trade they love or they get out of the luxury tax.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,119

Post#60 » by CDM_Stats » Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:39 pm

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/2/12/24070258/golden-state-warriors-steph-curry-steve-kerr-draymond-green-klay-thompson

DRAY

In the past two weeks, Green has helped give Golden State hope that it can mount a run. Since his return to the starting lineup, the defense has posted a 108.4 defensive rating, Curry’s numbers are back up, and, most importantly, the team’s swagger is back. In Philly, as the Warriors built up a 30-point lead in the second half, Green looked as comfortable as ever enjoying the spoils of victory with his teammates.

“He’d go to war with us all of the time,” teammate Kevon Looney says of Green. “He didn’t do nothing to us. It wasn’t like he had to apologize to us. It was something he needed to figure out, but we didn’t want him to leave in the first place.

KLAY
But Thompson says he’s open to a reduced role if it means staying with the only franchise he’s suited up for.

“Yeah, there’s nothing wrong with that,” he tells me. “I’ll be 35 next year. At 35, coming off the ACL and an Achilles [tear] and still have the ability to be a really good player. Maybe not the guy who scored 60 in three quarters and scored an NBA record 37 points in a quarter, but still a great threat out there. I’ve modeled my game after Reggie [Miller] and Ray [Allen], and those guys were incredibly effective until their late 30s. So I plan on kind of following that mold.”

A new deal this summer would continue Thompson’s partnership with Green, Curry, and Kerr. And even if that means his offensive responsibility will be diminished, that’s a small price to pay to compete alongside the guys he came up with.

KERR
But following the departure of general manager Bob Myers last spring, some within the Warriors feared this season would be Kerr’s last. He’s in the final year of his contract, and the fact that Kerr hasn’t agreed to an extension has brought uncertainty about whether he’ll continue with the team, a notion Kerr dispels.

“I want to be back,” Kerr tells me. “I’ve made that clear every time I’ve been asked about it. The only thing I won’t talk about is just any detail of contract stuff, but I’ve been very open. I want to come back. Joe [Lacob has] told me he wants me back, so I think I’ll be back.”

“The thing that I tell the coaches on our staff is that we’re now doing the job that the college coaches used to do for us,” Kerr says. “We’re now taking freshmen and sophomores and trying to turn them into juniors and seniors. It is just everybody wants it now. The players want it now. The fans want it now. But until a player really grasps what wins, and that means boxing out, ... I mean, it’s all the basic fundamental stuff. But then also knowing who you are as a player. Everybody has to figure out who they are as a player.”

Good author here, solid guy. But key points above. Kerr still referring to young players in terms of their college level and he wants to stay HC.. Dray's a leader and trading him = dynasty's end.. Klay softening up a bit but still playing way too much.. lots of stuff

Return to Golden State Warriors