CS707
General Manager
And1: 6,395

Re: Free Agent Talk 

Post#63 » by CS707 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:06 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
gst8 wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:
I so hope they re-sign Schroder for the $100M he wants :)

Westbrook/Schroder
Bazemore/Matthews/Ellington/Monk
LeBron/Ariza
AD/Anthony/Morris/THT/Jackson
Gasol/Howard

(assuming they cut McKinnie and re-sign Schroder, Matthews, THT, and Morris)

That's an odd looking and old team.

Let us count the chuckers and players who need the ball ...

It's going to be a spectacle for sure... I'm just not sure in which way.

Honestly, three quarters of the team are injury concerns and half the team needs the ball to play the way they normally do, and while several of them WERE good defenders, defense tends to be something that fades quickly with age.

One thing is sure, a new group of players is going to learn the LeBron way of being a "teammate".

It looks like an utter disaster on paper. Westbrook and LeBron playing basically the same role, old, bad defenders, shaky outside shooting, etc. But sometimes that stuff just comes together in weird ways lol. I'm just a dude on a forum anyway though. I don't get paid to build a roster like LeBron and Rich Paul do.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 20,007

Post#64 » by FNQ » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:08 pm

parsnips33 wrote:Are we seriously not gonna use the MLE? Lacob is so damn annoying I swear

If we got OPJ or Bjelica with the MLE we woulda been happy
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by FNQ » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:10 pm

So because of the 200M tax bill, I get not chasing RoLo.. that tracks. I still think ORL has to move a big, but because of our bill, only way it works is if Looney goes out - the theoretical Oubre TE is not on the table

But I am a bit disappointed we didnt pursue Drummond for the minimum. Maybe Kerr didnt want Javale part 2, but Drummond is the best rebounder in the league, bar none. And its not like our C position is deep or uber-talented at this point.. spilt milk and all, but definitely disappointed
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,027

Post#66 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:11 pm

parsnips33 wrote:Are we seriously not gonna use the MLE? Lacob is so damn annoying I swear

On who?
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,698

Post#67 » by parsnips33 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:11 pm

FNQ wrote:

I'm willing to venmo Lacob $10 if we get Danny Green too :lol:
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by FNQ » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:12 pm

parsnips33 wrote:
FNQ wrote:

I'm willing to venmo Lacob $10 if we get Danny Green too :lol:

He might be a min signing too, but think we're pretty loaded in the middle (wings/forwards) but still could use an extra C and maybe an extra guard. Nunn would have been great, but thats sailed. Hill is now the ideal guard, but the best big is probably Chriss due to familiarity, but there's also Ed Davis as a fallback
parsnips33
Head Coach
And1: 2,698

Post#69 » by parsnips33 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:13 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:

On who?

Danny Green would be awesome. Beyond that, would be nice to see some urgency towards winning from management no matter who they spend it on, but I suppose that ship has sailed
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#70 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:15 pm

FNQ wrote:So because of the 200M tax bill, I get not chasing RoLo.. that tracks. I still think ORL has to move a big, but because of our bill, only way it works is if Looney goes out - the theoretical Oubre TE is not on the table

But I am a bit disappointed we didnt pursue Drummond for the minimum. Maybe Kerr didnt want Javale part 2, but Drummond is the best rebounder in the league, bar none. And its not like our C position is deep or uber-talented at this point.. spilt milk and all, but definitely disappointed

I love Drummond's offensive rebounding numbers but what else does he fit? He doesn't really run, he can't guard the wing OR the PnR, he's not efficient on offense ... I just don't know that he's worth a roster spot if he's not going to play much.

If you look at per36 numbers for Chriss 2 years ago and Drummond from last year Chris is reasonably close on offensive rebounding but is a much better fit.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by FNQ » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:16 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
FNQ wrote:So because of the 200M tax bill, I get not chasing RoLo.. that tracks. I still think ORL has to move a big, but because of our bill, only way it works is if Looney goes out - the theoretical Oubre TE is not on the table

I love Drummond's offensive rebounding numbers but what else does he fit? He doesn't really run, he can't guard the wing OR the PnR, he's not efficient on offense ... I just don't know that he's worth a roster spot if he's not going to play much.

Defensive rebounding too, also has really solid hands. And while he's a bad help defender, he's good at man-post defense.. he'd be a bit player for sure, but one that's very unique and does a lot of things our other bigs cant
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,677

Post#72 » by a8bil » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:16 pm

what I don't get is why we aren't signing Chriss...he started the season as our starting center until he injured his ankle. now he's persona non grata?
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,429

Post#73 » by ILOVEIT » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:17 pm

"Westbrook, LeBron, Carmello go into a bar...."
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by FNQ » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:18 pm

a8bil wrote:what I don't get is why we aren't signing Chriss...he started the season as our starting center until he injured his ankle. now he's persona non grata?

my guess is giving him a chance to find a payday/opportunity elsewhere, and we remain his safety net
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:21 pm

FNQ wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

Defensive rebounding too, also has really solid hands. And while he's a bad help defender, he's good at man-post defense.. he'd be a bit player for sure, but one that's very unique and does a lot of things our other bigs cant

I just don't value individual defensive rebounding numbers.

As for the post defense ... who is he going to have to defend? AD and Ayton are too quick and the Joker is too effective outside. Not sure the need matches up all that well.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,281

Post#76 » by clyde21 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:22 pm

Drummond doesnt belong anywhere near this roster, we already have a single level positionally locked high usage big on the roster we drafted 2nd overall last year, no need for two.

im fine with not spending the MLE, ain't no one out there really worth it anyways, especially with the tax bill he'll come attached with...not that i am worried about a billionaire's checkbook but I get it
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by Scoots1994 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:22 pm

FNQ wrote:
a8bil wrote:what I don't get is why we aren't signing Chriss...he started the season as our starting center until he injured his ankle. now he's persona non grata?

my guess is giving him a chance to find a payday/opportunity elsewhere, and we remain his safety net

They may well have told him what they are working on and that he's on their list if he can't get more elsewhere.
WESCO
Head Coach
And1: 981

Post#78 » by WESCO » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:23 pm

Where in the hell are the Lakers getting this cap space?
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by FNQ » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:26 pm

Scoots1994 wrote:
FNQ wrote:
Scoots1994 wrote:

I just don't value individual defensive rebounding numbers.

As for the post defense ... who is he going to have to defend? AD and Ayton are too quick and the Joker is too effective outside. Not sure the need matches up all that well.

I usually dont chase individual rebrate but his adjusted rebrate kills as well.

He may not match up with the best, but he was an 88th percentile defender of the low block last season (and in the 80s-90s before) on a decent amount of attempts (about 7 finished possessions out of the post per 36).

In a 10 mpg role where he's highly specialized, I've got no problem with it. Plus if he's not worth it, just make the cut. Worth the risk
FNQ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#80 » by FNQ » Tue Aug 3, 2021 10:27 pm

clyde21 wrote:

Drummond doesnt belong anywhere near this roster, we already have a single level positionally locked high usage big on the roster we drafted 2nd overall last year, no need for two.

im fine with not spending the MLE, ain't no one out there really worth it anyways, especially with the tax bill he'll come attached with...not that i am worried about a billionaire's checkbook but I get it

We rostered Smiley for years, we can have a 2-3 month working tryout of the best rebounder in the NBA

Return to Golden State Warriors