Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,393

Re: is Klay done? 

Post#81 » by Onus » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:30 pm

DonaldSanders wrote:
Onus wrote:
SpreeChokeJob wrote:He should try sixth man like Ginobili. He was already sixth msn before his injury because his starter minutes leaked into bench minutes before. I can see why Kerr is hesitant to pull him because the big 3 has built up chemistry, but they already played without him last year and Poole benefits playing off Curry’s gravity. Poole isn’t good enough to be a first option.

Kerr is being hesitant because if he benches klay that could be the end of klay's career. Confidence is so huge for a shooter, once you lose it, you can really lose it forever.

The thing is, we kinda hid Klay last season with the starters. GPII would come in for him and he was clearly playing better than Klay. Klay should move to a bench role, but if he continues playing this bad he might not get deserve to play at all. The whole team looked better the game he sat, young guys got to play more and all our pieces looked like they fit together. We're not gonna blow people out every game but at least we were playing Warriors basketball.

I assume Klay will automatically still get time, even if he doesn't deserve it. That kinda messes up our young guys though -- we need to make sure the lineup is a meritocracy. But I don't want to get ahead of things, we need to first try Klay in a backup role and see how that works. At least him guarding the backups shouldn't be as hard for him, it was ROUGH watching him guard Booker.

I agree, but Klay has to come to grips with it. Klay was bad last year in the regular season. They made it work in the playoffs though. Kerr has to make the hard decision and find a way to tell klay to take better shots and until he does limit his minutes. But it's hard because if they do something with Klay they could lose Klay for the rest of his career and he becomes Duncan Robinson.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
thunderdunk
Bench Warmer
And1: 190

Post#82 » by thunderdunk » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:49 pm

Big J wrote:Could we just keep Klay as technically a starter to appease his ego, but pull him after 3 minutes into the game unless he’s hitting shots from the jump?

That would probably be the worst thing, IMO. That just ups the pressure on him to hit his first couple shots. Pretending that he's just off to a slow start is also not the right approach. It doesn't solve the problem. I think that they need to have an adult conversation with him about it, and work with him to figure out what's wrong with his mechanics. And maybe Kerr tells him to focus on spot up shots and not trying to do too much for now. Involve Klay in creating the solution. But the answer can't be to just let him shoot badly until he doesn't.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Post#83 » by Big J » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:54 pm

thunderdunk wrote:
Big J wrote:Could we just keep Klay as technically a starter to appease his ego, but pull him after 3 minutes into the game unless he’s hitting shots from the jump?

That would probably be the worst thing, IMO. That just ups the pressure on him to hit his first couple shots. Pretending that he's just off to a slow start is also not the right approach. It doesn't solve the problem. I think that they need to have an adult conversation with him about it, and work with him to figure out what's wrong with his mechanics. And maybe Kerr tells him to focus on spot up shots and not trying to do too much for now. Involve Klay in creating the solution. But the answer can't be to just let him shoot badly until he doesn't.

A lot of shooters think that the best way to get out of a slump is to shoot your way out of it.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#84 » by and1GS » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:06 pm

When Klay came back from injury he played limited minutes, but started. He still took the same amount of shots. I'm not sure that solves our offensive flow issue.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Onus
RealGM

Post#85 » by Onus » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:08 pm

The biggest problem is that we don't need peak klay. We just need a solid 3 and d player or at least one or the other.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Post#86 » by Big J » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:17 pm

Onus wrote:The biggest problem is that we don't need peak klay. We just need a solid 3 and d player or at least one or the other.

We should sign Danny Green.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 794

Post#87 » by vagelis » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:18 pm

Onus wrote:The biggest problem is that we don't need peak klay. We just need a solid 3 and d player or at least one or the other.

I think Thompson could be a lot better in this role.
The problem is that Kerr wants Thompson to be the old Klay.
He is sticked with his old guys and he does not treat his roster fair.
He is a very smart coach but he may is wrong with this imo
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,277

Post#88 » by clyde21 » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:21 pm

he's only done if he refuses to believe that he's not that same player anymore and doesn't adjust to a new role accordingly, can still be very useful off the bench in the right capacity but if that's not a role he's willing to accept at this point, then yes he's done
Onus
RealGM

Post#89 » by Onus » Thu Nov 17, 2022 6:30 pm

clyde21 wrote:he's only done if he refuses to believe that he's not that same player anymore and doesn't adjust to a new role accordingly, can still be very useful off the bench in the right capacity but if that's not a role he's willing to accept at this point, then yes he's done

If Russ can take coming off the bench then Klay can accept being a spot up guy at least until he finds his shot. Kerr just has to tell him specifically. Not just everyone needs to play as a team, pass to the open guy. No be like Klay stand in a corner.
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 460

Post#90 » by Romulus » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:50 pm

[url];ab_channel=AthleticAlchemy[/url]

Watch this. Athletic Alchemy nails it. The Warriors -- from Kerr to Steph to Draymond to the FO -- they all need to be honest and address the Klay situation. He's killing the team right now. It has to change.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#91 » by Samurai » Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:57 pm

It is certainly possible that as Klay continues his recovery from injuries, that his leg strength may return and give him a proper base. Then his jump shot could return. It is entirely possible for a 32-year old to gain leg strength. But can he regain the quickness, particularly lateral quickness, on defense? That seems more unlikely as he ages. So let's assume his shooting returns as his leg strength grows. How much value does he provide as a $38M "3 and no D" guy?
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#92 » by and1GS » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:19 pm

I really appreciate this thread because nobody here is saying '**** Klay.' What I'm mostly seeing is he needs to accept his limitations and maximize what he has.

That means critical attention to 'the little things' on D. Not just the ego stroke 'I'm guarding the best guy' ****. It also means taking fewer shots or smarter shots. Hell he doesn't even need to do both, one or the other would be great. An above average, 6'6", strong wing defender that's scoring 15 a game on 40% from 3 would be a MASSIVE win. How different would this team look if Klay just did that?

But nope he wants to do the glamour game 6 Klay **** and it is killing us. Comes down to him and Kerr, and time is running out.
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,833

Post#93 » by floppymoose » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:22 pm

Samurai wrote:It is certainly possible that as Klay continues his recovery from injuries, that his leg strength may return and give him a proper base.

It's possible. For KD, it seems he got pretty much all the way back. The surgeries are very good these days (I got the modern surgery for torn achilles). But some people never get the strength all the way back. I did not. And given where we are in Klay's recovery, I think he would be back by now physically if it were going to happen.
zhuangcorp
Junior
And1: 65

Post#94 » by zhuangcorp » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:47 pm

Why is Klay worse than last year? If he had more time to recover, he should be better.

I think the age is catching up to him. So he must be done.
tarantism
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,146

Post#95 » by tarantism » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:01 pm

floppymoose wrote:
Samurai wrote:It is certainly possible that as Klay continues his recovery from injuries, that his leg strength may return and give him a proper base.

It's possible. For KD, it seems he got pretty much all the way back. The surgeries are very good these days (I got the modern surgery for torn achilles). But some people never get the strength all the way back. I did not. And given where we are in Klay's recovery, I think he would be back by now physically if it were going to happen.
I think the one caveat to that is that he didn't play ball all summer. Could be that the leg strength for NBA basketball isn't there. I don't know, I'm not a doctor. But the amount of shots falling short seems to indicate that.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Melo and amare should thrive in this offense. If Jeremy Tyler and cole Aldridge looked that good in summer league then us knick fans have a lot to be excited about. Make room for all the bandwagoners when we take off
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,165

Post#96 » by TB » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:09 pm

There is just no way Klay is now this type of player:
38% from 2
33% from 3
75% from FT

Even last year right off of the injuries, he was high 40s from 2, high 30s from 3, and normal great FTs. Sure it was down from prime Klay, but it was still doable to space the floor and counter his bad defense. I personally think he gets back to this level. Pretty bad defense with pretty good shooting numbers. Now, that may still end up warranting going to the bench behind Poole, but it wouldn't be the team killer we are currently seeing.

And yes, regardless of that, he needs to adjust to becoming a bit more selective with his shots and finding open teammates. He's capable of that too.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,305

Post#97 » by DonaldSanders » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:38 pm

Ben Simmons and Russell Westbrook have better FG and eFG%s than Klay.

When your SG is shooting like that after 12 games, they have to hit the bench or the whole concept of meritocracy is shot on the team. Young guys aren't getting time and we're losing. Klay needs to have the expectations of him to be lowered with a bench role, and for him to be put into easier spots (especially on defense). Tell him the nights he is on fire he will get more time.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#98 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:37 am

Every NBA player turns into a pumpkin eventually.

Is this Klay's time to be over?
My guess is that Klay will return to being good this year. 85% of 2016 Klay will be good enough.

But I would not be surprised if I was wrong about Klay returning to being good this year and Klay is finished.

Just wait.
B-King
Rookie
And1: 208

Post#99 » by B-King » Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:19 am

Klay and Poole are taking terrible shots period. Get back to Warrior basketball and move it around and find the open guy. I don't mind missing good looks at the baskets. Both these guys are killing our flow with these early desperation shots.

Klay is not 2019 version and that's ok. Just adjust accordingly and move on. He can still be very effective.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,337

Post#100 » by wco81 » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:20 am

Klay had a lot of open looks vs. Phoenix. Some in transition. But when they're not going down, they're bad shots.

Normally for an NBA player, those kinds of looks are high percentage.

Return to Golden State Warriors