ImageImageImageImageImage

What's Wrong with Andrew Wiggins?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

AdonalFoyle4Prez
Analyst
And1: 364

What's Wrong with Andrew Wiggins? 

Post#1 » by AdonalFoyle4Prez » Mon Nov 6, 2023 12:19 am

I know this team is a work in progress, but he stands out as the one who's been struggling the most.

Slow start? Finding his role? He's been pretty terrible. Poor free throw shooting (Mental toughness is lacking?). Kerr has been benching him for the 2nd half or in 4th quarter. Virtually zero impact through the first couple of games.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,120

Re: What's Wrong with Andrew Wiggins? 

Post#2 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Nov 6, 2023 1:12 am

He can't shoot.. it affects the rest of his offensive game. Defense he's doing fine but most of his public-facing metrics have him eating **** for the rest of the team, when he's actually been solid (not his typical peak, but he's not doing as bad as people are saying)

When the jumper comes around, everything will unlock
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,224

Post#3 » by cpower » Mon Nov 6, 2023 1:29 am

not only he can't shoot , team also has the worst defense when he is out there, -9 BPM my godness
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM
And1: 6,402

Post#4 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Nov 6, 2023 1:31 am

Mental issues.

He's compensating for his injured rib in his head. The shot mechanics and vertical explosion is a mess.

You can also see wiggs peaking at the sidelines thinking he's going to get pulled.
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 460

Post#5 » by Romulus » Mon Nov 6, 2023 2:00 am

cpower wrote:not only he can't shoot , team also has the worst defense when he is out there, -9 BPM my godness

Agreed. He can't get a rebound to save his life and most of the time he's just standing around.

He also is taking very difficult shots for the most part. And we all know he's one of the worst FT shooters in the league for forwards.

You just might consider trading him at this point.
Dubs 707
Junior
And1: 147

Post#6 » by Dubs 707 » Mon Nov 6, 2023 2:16 am

Sounds like a JK thread.

I don't mind paying a rookie contract for a guy to learn the small things.

But a vet lol smh.
Looney for MVP
Winning Against Rivals Regularly In Our Running Style
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#7 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Mon Nov 6, 2023 2:17 am

He thinks he is in Minnesota.
We have to remind Wiggins that everybody loved him when he was a hard working role player on the Warriors.

Your not in Minnesota anymore Wigs, you escaped.
WarriorGM
General Manager
And1: 3,708

Post#8 » by WarriorGM » Mon Nov 6, 2023 2:21 am

I wonder if the Poole brouhaha is affecting him? Was one of my concerns with the whole episode.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Post#9 » by Big J » Mon Nov 6, 2023 2:52 am

Won a ring, made an all star game, and got a new contract. He seems like the kind of guy who is just content to coast at this point. Probably feels like it's okay because he took a team friendly deal.
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#10 » by Coxy » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:18 am

Big J wrote:Won a ring, made an all star game, and got a new contract. He seems like the kind of guy who is just content to coast at this point. Probably feels like it's okay because he took a team friendly deal.

This.

He's also probably playing too much fortnight.
ILOVEIT
RealGM
And1: 3,429

Post#11 » by ILOVEIT » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:37 am

I think this is a bit of the Latrell Sprewell effect on Joe Smith. Remember how Latrell poisoned the locker room and Joe Smith before choking the coach. Even after he was traded, Joe and Billy Owens were pouting.

I would not be surprised if Wiggins is pouting because of losing a buddy in the Poole trade.
2021/22 - The return of the Ring.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#12 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:42 am

ILOVEIT wrote:I think this is a bit of the Latrell Sprewell effect on Joe Smith. Remember how Latrell poisoned the locker room and Joe Smith before choking the coach. Even after he was traded, Joe and Billy Owens were pouting.

I would not be surprised if Wiggins is pouting because of losing a buddy in the Poole trade.

He went through this when his BFF at the time, lavine was traded. So, thus isnt new for him.

I still think he's playing with the ghost of his rib injury in his head + he didn't play all off season and the start of training camp.
cpower
RealGM

Post#13 » by cpower » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:42 am

Romulus wrote:
cpower wrote:not only he can't shoot , team also has the worst defense when he is out there, -9 BPM my godness

Agreed. He can't get a rebound to save his life and most of the time he's just standing around.

He also is taking very difficult shots for the most part. And we all know he's one of the worst FT shooters in the league for forwards.

You just might consider trading him at this point.

problem is, we are already thin at 3, need a lot of defense and shooting at that position and not easy to find one.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#14 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Nov 6, 2023 4:50 am

BPM has little to do with actual defensive effectiveness, the stat actually funnels impact based on role. Its why when Klay was a borderline elite man defender, he was still negatively regarded in stats like BPM.. BPM measures results of the play, and if someone is assigned the ballhandler most of the time like Klay was and Wiggins is, they bare the brunt of the negatives as they are usually out of position for rebounds, and are very rarely involved with the termination of the play

For example, Steph Curry is showing as a -0.9 DBPM after tonight, Saric showing as a -0.7, Klay as a -2.0. They've been our 3 worst defenders, with Kuminga right behind them. But they don't have to absorb the effects because Saric is grabbing the empty calorie rebounds and Steph's assignment is usually the least offensively capable guy at 1-3

For those grousing about his rebounding, its hard to be guarding the best perimeter player, typically a shooter, AND be the one grabbing the rebounds.. if you're wondering how this differs from when he grabbed boards in the playoffs, he was playing PF a lot of that time, and teams were screening him onto big men and forcing Looney to guard the perimeter, which let Wiggins rebound.. but this is no different than the last time people groused about Wiggins' effectiveness.. March 2022. Lessons were not learned
cpower
RealGM

Post#15 » by cpower » Mon Nov 6, 2023 5:01 am

CDM_Stats wrote:

BPM has little to do with actual defensive effectiveness, the stat actually funnels impact based on role. Its why when Klay was a borderline elite man defender, he was still negatively regarded in stats like BPM.. BPM measures results of the play, and if someone is assigned the ballhandler most of the time like Klay was and Wiggins is, they bare the brunt of the negatives as they are usually out of position for rebounds, and are very rarely involved with the termination of the play

For example, Steph Curry is showing as a -0.9 DBPM after tonight, Saric showing as a -0.7, Klay as a -2.0. They've been our 3 worst defenders, with Kuminga right behind them. But they don't have to absorb the effects because Saric is grabbing the empty calorie rebounds and Steph's assignment is usually the least offensively capable guy at 1-3

For those grousing about his rebounding, its hard to be guarding the best perimeter player, typically a shooter, AND be the one grabbing the rebounds.. if you're wondering how this differs from when he grabbed boards in the playoffs, he was playing PF a lot of that time, and teams were screening him onto big men and forcing Looney to guard the perimeter, which let Wiggins rebound.. but this is no different than the last time people groused about Wiggins' effectiveness.. March 2022. Lessons were not learned

agreed that BPM has little to do individual defense but based on what we know in the last 7 games, team has seen visible drop in rebound, stl and blk when he is on the floor, and opp Ortg is 122 when he is on says a lot.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/2024/on-off/
CDM_Stats
Head Coach

Post#16 » by CDM_Stats » Mon Nov 6, 2023 5:13 am

cpower wrote:
CDM_Stats wrote:

agreed that BPM has little to do individual defense but based on what we know in the last 7 games, team has seen visible drop in rebound, stl and blk when he is on the floor, and opp Ortg is 122 when he is on says a lot.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/GSW/2024/on-off/

My point is that it really doesnt say much. NetRtg stats are most accurate for teams and lose a lot of its accuracy when they go to individuals, because almost all individual metrics for defense are straight up garbage. There's no objective metric that can really sum up how good a defender is, why the sub categories (peripherals) are extremely important. And those have to be done subjectively unfortunately

The deeper one digs, there's a really problematic stat underneath all of it.. despite being hidden, Curry and Klay's perimeter defense levels have sunk. Curry's was to be expected a bit, but Klay's is much tougher to digest because he already wasn't very good. But he's getting plastered on the perimeter and inside

All that said, a Wiggins that's unable to shoot is a huge liability, as that would mean 3 people in the starting lineup aren't perimeter threats, and we've been struggling to get by with just 2.. and on top of that, the team needs to address the Curry/Klay defensive problem, as well as Looney's steeply declining challenge rate
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#17 » by Coxy » Mon Nov 6, 2023 8:05 am

ILOVEIT wrote:I think this is a bit of the Latrell Sprewell effect on Joe Smith. Remember how Latrell poisoned the locker room and Joe Smith before choking the coach. Even after he was traded, Joe and Billy Owens were pouting.

Was he that close with Poole? That'd be news to me.
vagelis
Starter
And1: 795

Post#18 » by vagelis » Mon Nov 6, 2023 1:32 pm

I don't see that he is close right now with anyone in the team.
Neither with the players nor with the coaches.

A change of scenery would probably be good for him and for the Warriors.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Post#19 » by Big J » Mon Nov 6, 2023 2:57 pm

I honestly don’t think he loves the game. He left the team for 3 months last year while his brother kept playing the entire time on his overseas team. There’s nothing wrong with him doing that, it’s just not someone see from most guys in a similar situation.
Crazy-Canuck
RealGM

Post#20 » by Crazy-Canuck » Mon Nov 6, 2023 3:35 pm

Big J wrote:I honestly don’t think he loves the game. He left the team for 3 months last year while his brother kept playing the entire time on his overseas team. There’s nothing wrong with him doing that, it’s just not someone see from most guys in a similar situation.

You mean the same guy that gutted through game 6 in immense pain trying to play with a fractured rib? That guy?

Return to Golden State Warriors