ImageImageImageImageImage

Potential big moves 2023-24

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,343

Potential big moves 2023-24 

Post#1 » by wco81 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 6:02 pm

We've had some discussions across various threads, including many game threads, about what this team needs, what it lacks.

While the team is playing well, team is likely too small to be a threat in the playoffs.

The Warriors are at a crossroad, with a 36-year old top 5-10 player and some assets in the form of large expiring contracts and at least 2 or 3 FRPs until the end of the decade.

CP3 is on one of those large expiring contracts. He's played well and made the second unit much more effective. But the team has to trade him right, rather than his expiring slot go unused?

Unless the ownership wants to prioritize getting under the second apron and luxury tax relief? This season will be the last before the more punishing rules come into effect starting in 2024-25 season.

So here are the possible trade assets which have been discussed many times:

1. CP3's expiring $30.8 million.

2. Klay's expiring $43.2 million.

3. Kuminga, whose contracts are $6 million this year and $7.6 million next season before hitting RFA.

4. Wiggins, who's on "team-friendly" extensions of $24.3 this season and $26.3, $28.2 and a player option of $30.2 for 2026-27.

5. FRPs

The big targets would be big forwards who are also on expiring or potentially expiring deals.

1. Siakam will be UFA in the summer. He will turn 30 in April and has said he doesn't want to be traded. Only Toronto can give him a 5-year extension, probably around $250 million.

2. Anunoby turns 27 in July, when he can decline his player option and become UFA. Also looking for max deal. OG is off to a red-hot start, 17.6 PPG in 7 games, shooting over 55 percent and 41.7% from 3 on 6.9 3PAs.

Less likely because they're division rivals but the Clippers got off to a strong start and then have lost 3 straight. PG and KL are off to strong starts and both have player options, looking for big extensions.

Clippers haven't extended them yet and they acquired Harden, who's also going to be looking for a big extension. They're about to open a new arena so they're not going to let either hit free agency if they continue to play well and not get injured again at crucial times.

Toronto is playing much better than expected, though they're only 4-4. IF they really played well, they could extend both Siakam and OG. They let FVV walk this past summer without any compensation so maybe Ujiri keeps demanding too much and neither player gets traded, risking them walking away for nothing..

But not only OG but Barnes is shooting way above what he has for his career. So likely the Raptors' shooting comes back down to earth and they drop in the standings.

With Ujiri, you never know, he could continue with the four FRPs for OG nonsense and end up letting him hit free agency without any compensation.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,398

Re: Potential big moves 2023-24 

Post#2 » by Onus » Thu Nov 9, 2023 6:12 pm

I'd look into Caruso, Lauri, Jerami Grant, Bojan, Kelly O as other options as well. Vets on most likely lottery teams that fit a need.

Lauri, OG, Caruso are probably my top 3 targets.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,166

Post#3 » by TB » Thu Nov 9, 2023 7:24 pm

Kuminga / Podz
for
Caruso / Phillips

Steph / CP3 / Joseph
Caruso / GP2
Klay / Wiggins / Phillips
Dray / Moody / Santos
Loon / Saric / Trayce
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,716

Post#4 » by Warriorfan » Thu Nov 9, 2023 9:36 pm

Don't trade the young assets or go for big swing yet. Wait for all the core are exp resign for much lower salary get a new younger player to build around.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,599

Post#5 » by HiRez » Thu Nov 9, 2023 9:46 pm

It's going to be difficult to plan for the future until we know the shelf life of Steph and Draymond (to a lesser extent Klay). They're exceeding expectations but the end probably isn't more than 3-4 years away and possibly much less than that, it can happen in an instant. Personally I'd want to acquire more bridge players who have a lot of tread left on the tires (OG) but they might keep going all-in on aging vets (CP) to extend the championship window 1 year at a time. All our young guys show some promise but they're also all still 1-3 years from being starter-material and chances are none of them are going to be stars to build around, more like good support players.
CDM_Stats
Head Coach
And1: 2,120

Post#6 » by CDM_Stats » Thu Nov 9, 2023 9:48 pm

A good rule of thumb is to never trade with Ujiri.. he doesnt lose trade often
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#7 » by Coxy » Thu Nov 9, 2023 10:12 pm

I was really hoping the Porzingis trade to Boston would flame out in fit, with JT, AH and KP not fitting in that front court, but it looks like a mastersteoke now for Boston. KP is what Wemby is, without that amazing defensive instinctive nature. I really wanted to add him to our team using Poole and Kuminga last off season. What a shame.
Dom801e
Veteran
And1: 861

Post#8 » by Dom801e » Thu Nov 9, 2023 10:27 pm

I don’t expect any big moves.

Team could use another wing defender. I could see a Kuminga trade for a young guy on cheap contract with lower upside. Or they could end up signing a vet like Danny Green.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,648

Post#9 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 11:31 pm

Onus wrote:I'd look into Caruso, Lauri, Jerami Grant, Bojan, Kelly O as other options as well. Vets on most likely lottery teams that fit a need.

Is Lauri on the market though? I thought he was a cornerstone for Utah.
wco81
RealGM

Post#10 » by wco81 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:22 am

Toronto has to extend Siakam and OG or risk having them walk.

But teams over the cap who want to trade for either of those players can't sign them via free agency.

Ujiri might take what he could get with a team under the cap but any playoffs team is likely to be well over the cap.

Ainge also will bleed you out for trades.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,398

Post#11 » by Onus » Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:25 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:
Onus wrote:I'd look into Caruso, Lauri, Jerami Grant, Bojan, Kelly O as other options as well. Vets on most likely lottery teams that fit a need.

Is Lauri on the market though? I thought he was a cornerstone for Utah.

Cornerstone for what? He’s a good player but he’s not going to be a top 10 player and it’s not like they have a top 10 player on the roster.

I haven’t seen or heard anything just figuring utah isn’t really in a position to build around anyone. He’s 26 so he’s entering in his prime.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 460

Post#12 » by Romulus » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:05 am

Excellent post and topic, OP. Thank you.

This is a good team that still frustrates me in many ways. I think if they play TJD more it will help their lack of size. Regardless, they still need something more to really be a top contender. And yes, I'm thinking short term here, thinking about the next few years and trying to figure out the best way to possibly win a championship.

I just hope they don't play it safe, are content with the team they have, only to fall just a little short (which is very likely to happen).

Is a big move necessary? No, probably not. But, why be opposed to a big move? Why not be willing to make almost anyone on the roster except Curry available if it meant improving your chances for a title?

With that in mind...

Guys I want to keep at all costs: Curry, GPII.
Guys I would be willing to trade: Kuminga, Wiggins, Moody (although I like him a lot), Podz, and draft picks if necessary. And for the right player? Yes, even Klay and Draymond (would have to be a true difference maker).

Right now, the Warrior bench is saving them. The starting unit is having a problem because they're getting next to nothing out of Wiggins. Basically, you're currently looking at 3 non-scoring threats: Looney, Draymond, Wiggins. It's just a terrible burden to put on Klay & Steph. I would prioritize a Looney replacement, someone with size and some offensive skill.

The guy I think would be a perfect fit? Lauri Markkanen of Utah. He's 7 feet tall, averaging 24 points a game and almost 9 rebounds. I hate it when Curry is doubled, makes a beautiful pass to a wide open Looney, and he just stands there, won't shoot, and everyone just continues running around in circles. Markkanen with his beautiful stroke would just be knocking down shot after shot in this offense. Defensively, yes, he's not great, but you'd have Draymond to help and I just think this trade would make the Warriors so dangerous.

Now, what would Utah want in return? We all know Danny Ainge LOVES draft picks (and to make trades). Include them in the trade. He also is building a young team. Kuminga and Podz would be the two guys he'd probably love to have. What else would it take? Moody? Looney? I don't know, but I'm sure they could make it work with mutual interest on both sides.

Whether its Markkanen or Siakam or someone else, I think adding some offensive punch to this starting unit would make a difference.

And just as a side note: I'm not a fan of CP3 closing out games with Curry. Against Denver, in the 4th Curry had the ball and was getting great looks for everyone, then Kerr inserted CP3, Curry plays off the ball, doesn't see any touches and the offense isn't as effective. Plus, having CP3 in means worse defense and less rebounding.
cdubbz
RealGM
And1: 2,965

Post#13 » by cdubbz » Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:11 pm

Dom801e wrote:I don’t expect any big moves.

Team could use another wing defender. I could see a Kuminga trade for a young guy on cheap contract with lower upside. Or they could end up signing a vet like Danny Green.

I see Kuminga as the only player I would trade right now. I think the Warriors will let the CP3 experiment run through the entire season and so far he's been great addition to the team.

Moody, Podz, TJD, are terrific role players for post Curry years. I wouldn't put them in a trade.
Kuya wrote: a good agent collects all the data, including quotes to give them leverage in contract deals.
wco81
RealGM

Post#14 » by wco81 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:50 pm

Big move means big salary implications.

That is ultimately what the team is going to have to decide, as much as they spend, they may have to commit to one or two more large salaries for several more years to make a big difference.

Otherwise, they might be tempted to just get big salaries like Paul's salary off the books after this year.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,240

Post#15 » by EvanZ » Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:05 pm

I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,166

Post#16 » by TB » Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:26 pm

EvanZ wrote:Image

Its only right that the players that belong in the G-League have a graph that looks like the Giant Dipper in Santa Cruz.
EvanZ
RealGM
And1: 3,240

Post#17 » by EvanZ » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:42 pm

Wiseman will probably be out of the league next year.
I was right about 3 point shooting. I expect to be right about Tacko Fall. Some coach will figure out how to use Tacko Fall. This movement towards undersized centers will sweep ng back. Back to the basket scorers will return to the NBA.
Hoopstar23
Veteran
And1: 1,932

Post#18 » by Hoopstar23 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 9:48 pm

i would try to go after Zach Lavine and Patrick Williams
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,599

Post#19 » by HiRez » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:14 am

wco81 wrote:Big move means big salary implications.

That is ultimately what the team is going to have to decide, as much as they spend, they may have to commit to one or two more large salaries for several more years to make a big difference.

Otherwise, they might be tempted to just get big salaries like Paul's salary off the books after this year.

Salary is a big part of the problem with a big trade though. The Warriors only have 3 salaries that aren't either small or large (between $3.9M and $22.3M): two of them are Looney and GP2, neither of whom they'd be inclined to trade. Kuminga only makes $6M, which first of all makes him a bargain for his production (and even more assuming he gets better with more playing time), but second, what difference-making veteran are you going to pick up for that kind of salary? You basically have to include Klay or Wiggins or CP3, and then you might actually be over the asking price, meaning adding Kuminga makes it even harder to balance out.

And trading any of those 4 players you're losing something, so you have to not only replace their contributions but exceed them to win the trade. Not to mention bringing in any new player is going to incur costs of a required learning curve, even KD took a while to gel with everyone.

Maybe something like Wiggins + JK + picks for OG + OPJ works on a technical basis. But even assuming you could get Ujiri to go for it, are the Warriors really winning that trade?
wco81
RealGM

Post#20 » by wco81 » Sat Nov 11, 2023 12:27 am

HiRez wrote:
wco81 wrote:Big move means big salary implications.

Salary is a big part of the problem with a big trade though. The Warriors only have 3 salaries that aren't either small or large (between $3.9M and $22.3M): two of them are Looney and GP2, neither of whom they'd be inclined to trade. Kuminga only makes $6M, which first of all makes him a bargain for his production (and even more assuming he gets better with more playing time), but second, what difference-making veteran are you going to pick up for that kind of salary? You basically have to include Klay or Wiggins or CP3, and then you might actually be over the asking price, meaning adding Kuminga makes it even harder to balance out.

And trading any of those 4 players you're losing something, so you have to not only replace their contributions but exceed them to win the trade. Not to mention bringing in any new player is going to incur costs of a required learning curve, even KD took a while to gel with everyone.

Maybe something like Wiggins + JK + picks for OG + OPJ works on a technical basis. But even assuming you could get Ujiri to go for it, are the Warriors really winning that trade?

Well the only carrot for Toronto would be to get big salaries off the books, avoid long-term deals. So you'd be using CP3, not Wiggins, though Wiggins doesn't have that long a contract if he exercises his player option in a couple of years.

It just depends on where they end up. Last season they just got into the play-in and lost to the Bulls. If by mid January they're on track to do better than last season, maybe they don't trade anyone.

Otherwise, it will be expensive for them to re-sign OG and Siakam.

They may be very motivated sellers but there will be a lot of interested buyers too.

Return to Golden State Warriors