ImageImageImageImageImage

Taking the pulse of Dubs fans: Who should be starting?

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Gimme your four other starters:

Klay
9%
Draymond
22%
Wiggs
16%
Loon
7%
CP3
0%
Kuminga
20%
Moody
11%
Podz
6%
TJD
7%
Saric
2%

Total votes: 219

GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,019

Taking the pulse of Dubs fans: Who should be starting? 

Post#1 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:03 pm

I left one obvious name off the poll since I think we'd all agree Steph should be starting and I left GP2 off the poll since I thought he would be the least likely to get votes but I could be wrong.

Give me the other four names you want to see out there playing 30+, ie. the bulk of the minutes going forward. Feel free to add a comment describing what you want to see rotation-wise or if you think starter minutes should be going to more than five players or if you think GP2 should be in there.

Good luck!
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
donkeylips
Veteran
And1: 1,305

Re: Taking the pulse of Dubs fans: Who should be starting? 

Post#2 » by donkeylips » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:16 pm

klay, wiggins, kuminga and green. i believe they should get the bulk of the minutes, though not all at the same time
I can hawk a loogie eight feet in the air and catch it with my tongue.
bicycle
Sophomore
And1: 72

Post#3 » by bicycle » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:35 pm

More than 2x more votes for Wiggins than Klay... If Klay isn't starting who the hell besides Steph is supposed to score? Kuminga is not that level yet, though his trend line is looking really good. And I don't even like Klay that much, I just see that we don't have a lot of guys that defenders worry about.
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 13,111

Post#4 » by whatisacenter » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:45 pm

Wiggins, Moody, JK and Loon.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,224

Post#5 » by cpower » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:08 pm

we dont have a starting lineup that can play, if we do then the record will not be look like this. You need 2 way wing like OG, Bridges..
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#6 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:11 pm

bicycle wrote:More than 2x more votes for Wiggins than Klay... If Klay isn't starting who the hell besides Steph is supposed to score? Kuminga is not that level yet, though his trend line is looking really good. And I don't even like Klay that much, I just see that we don't have a lot of guys that defenders worry about.

I voted Wiggs, Kuminga, Dray and Loon. My reasoning is to 1. focus on defense and rebounding and 2. shift the offense away from pace and space 3pt shooting and more toward what I'm calling pace and paint.

The idea is to put the ball in Kuminga's hands to attack the paint as the primary offensive action which will make the defense collapse and generate more open looks for Curry and Wiggs on the wings(and Dray in the corner).

The question I asked is if I preferred Wiggs superior defense and inferior shooting or Klay's inferior defense and superior shooting? What's more important? I decided I would like to see us return to being a better defensive team than a better shooting team if we're going to be featuring Kuminga more on offense.

I just don't think we can be a good defensive team with both Curry and Klay on the floor for long stretches.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
bicycle
Sophomore
And1: 72

Post#7 » by bicycle » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:17 pm

My answer was Klay Kuminga Dray Loon, for what it's worth. Wiggins vs Klay in the starting lineup you could talk me into it being situational, but I think a generic opponent it goes to Klay because offense is more important. By the same token Kuminga does not have a guaranteed starting spot either, but the way he's playing lately and the way we need him to play in the near future I think it helps to have him out there.
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,164

Post#8 » by TB » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:23 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
bicycle wrote:More than 2x more votes for Wiggins than Klay... If Klay isn't starting who the hell besides Steph is supposed to score? Kuminga is not that level yet, though his trend line is looking really good. And I don't even like Klay that much, I just see that we don't have a lot of guys that defenders worry about.

I voted Wiggs, Kuminga, Dray and Loon. My reasoning is to 1. focus on defense and rebounding and 2. shift the offense away from pace and space 3pt shooting and more toward what I'm calling pace and paint.

The idea is to put the ball in Kuminga's hands to attack the paint as the primary offensive action which will make the defense collapse and generate more open looks for Curry and Wiggs on the wings(and Dray in the corner).

The question I asked is if I preferred Wiggs superior defense and inferior shooting or Klay's inferior defense and superior shooting? What's more important? I decided I would like to see us return to being a better defensive team than a better shooting team if we're going to be featuring Kuminga more on offense.

I just don't think we can be a good defensive team with both Curry and Klay on the floor for long stretches.

With Draymond shooting the ball so confidently, I've been thinking about this setup as well. We all know Kerr's reasoning for not playing Kuminga/Dray/Loon (or Trayce) together, and thats because JK's shooting needed to be better to shift to the 3.... however, with Dray shooting it great this year and Kuminga shooting it okay the last 2 months, I'd give it a shot.

Quick history with those 3:

Rookie year they played 14 minutes and were a exact net 0

Last year they only played 19 minutes together and it was a disaster. But all lineups with Kuminga were pretty bad and those lineups had Klay and Poole shooting awful....

This year they haven't played 1 minute together.

I'm not overly confident it will work because 1) Dray/JK will have to at least shoot it okay, and 2) we still have the same issue of JK or Wiggins being the POA while splash bros are stuck in help where they have been awful. Never-the-less, I still want to see it... and I'm also not against Trayce jumping ahead of Loon.

So I'll go with:
Steph, Klay, Kuminga, Dray, Loon

But I think against the Kings tonight we should go with the lineup that has routinely done well against them:
Steph, Klay, Wiggins, Dray, Loon

What I dont want to see is a third straight game of the latest Kerr lineup which has been a disaster.... Steph, Klay, Wiggins, Saric, Loon.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#9 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 6:54 pm

TB wrote:
GQ Hot Dog wrote:

With Draymond shooting the ball so confidently, I've been thinking about this setup as well. We all know Kerr's reasoning for not playing Kuminga/Dray/Loon (or Trayce) together, and thats because JK's shooting needed to be better to shift to the 3.... however, with Dray shooting it great this year and Kuminga shooting it okay the last 2 months, I'd give it a shot.

Quick history with those 3:

Rookie year they played 14 minutes and were a exact net 0

Last year they only played 19 minutes together and it was a disaster. But all lineups with Kuminga were pretty bad and those lineups had Klay and Poole shooting awful....

This year they haven't played 1 minute together.

I'm not overly confident it will work because 1) Dray/JK will have to at least shoot it okay, and 2) we still have the same issue of JK or Wiggins being the POA while splash bros are stuck in help where they have been awful. Never-the-less, I still want to see it... and I'm also not against Trayce jumping ahead of Loon.

So I'll go with:
Steph, Klay, Kuminga, Dray, Loon

But I think against the Kings tonight we should go with the lineup that has routinely done well against them:
Steph, Klay, Wiggins, Dray, Loon

What I dont want to see is a third straight game of the latest Kerr lineup which has been a disaster.... Steph, Klay, Wiggins, Saric, Loon.

I agree with all your reasoning. I am pretty close to 50/50 between putting Klay or Wiggs in with the others mentioned and would be excited to see either combination.
The hottest of takes...
floppymoose
Senior Mod - Warriors
Senior Mod - Warriors
And1: 15,833

Post#10 » by floppymoose » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:54 pm

I voted and then i see my 4 votes are top 4 vote getters. Looks like I'm not alone.
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#11 » by GQ Hot Dog » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:56 pm

floppymoose wrote:I voted and then i see my 4 votes are top 4 vote getters. Looks like I'm not alone.

All the Warriors fans frequenting this forum are at the pinnacle of NBA expertise so I'm not surprised. We should rename this the Light Years forum. /s
The hottest of takes...
Old_Blue
Veteran
And1: 793

Post#12 » by Old_Blue » Thu Jan 25, 2024 9:14 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
floppymoose wrote:I voted and then i see my 4 votes are top 4 vote getters. Looks like I'm not alone.

All the Warriors fans frequenting this forum are at the pinnacle of NBA expertise so I'm not surprised. We should rename this the Light Years forum. /s

How quickly we forget just how many Dubs fans on this forum were hammering away on a daily basis about how awesome James Wiseman was or soon would be. Light Years? Um, no. :lol:
GSWFan1994 wrote:I saw signs of David Robinson, Anthony Davis, Chris Bosh & Kevin Garnett while watching Wiseman.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,392

Post#13 » by Onus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:29 am

The closing lineup should be curry/moody/jk/wiggins/dray. The issue is that means 70m is sitting on the bench in Klay and cp.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
TB
General Manager
And1: 1,164

Post#14 » by TB » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:18 am

Onus wrote:The closing lineup should be curry/moody/jk/wiggins/dray. The issue is that means 70m is sitting on the bench in Klay and cp.

I had to triple check this, and now I'm questioning if the sites are broken... but that lineup has NEVER played together in the three years since drafting JK/Moody :lol:

And its not like its some random lineup... its two lotto picks with our two best player and arguably 3rd best player for a lot of time Klay was injured. :banghead:
SpreeS
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,402

Post#15 » by SpreeS » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:23 am

Start

Curry/Moody/Kuminga/Green/Looney

Finish

Curry/Moody/Wiggs/Kuminga/Green
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 460

Post#16 » by Romulus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:26 am

cpower wrote:we dont have a starting lineup that can play, if we do then the record will not be look like this. You need 2 way wing like OG, Bridges..

Yeah, OG's impact on the Knicks has been huge. What impact would he have had here?
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 460

Post#17 » by Romulus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:30 am

I would make a trade and shake things up dramatically. However, if I were forced to choose a lineup with current roster, it would look like this:

Curry
Moody
Kuminga
Draymond
TJD

That would be by far your best defensive lineup. You'd actually have some athleticism as well. And Moody provides shooting and Kuminga provides scoring and slashing to the basket. I think this lineup would also allow Curry to have the ball more and take more shots.

But that's just my opinion.
Onus
RealGM
And1: 5,392

Post#18 » by Onus » Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:43 pm

TB wrote:
Onus wrote:The closing lineup should be curry/moody/jk/wiggins/dray. The issue is that means 70m is sitting on the bench in Klay and cp.

I had to triple check this, and now I'm questioning if the sites are broken... but that lineup has NEVER played together in the three years since drafting JK/Moody :lol:

And its not like its some random lineup... its two lotto picks with our two best player and arguably 3rd best player for a lot of time Klay was injured. :banghead:

That’s kind of inexcusable, especially since this year they’ve been searching for 2 way play all year and have experimented with just about every lineup. It’s like Kerr is purposely sabotaging the team.
Most 4th Quarter Points in Final since 1991
1995 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5
2000 Shaquille O'Neal 11.5 (61.1% TS)
2015 Stephen Curry 10.8 (75.1% TS)
1997 Michael Jordan 10.7 (55.1% TS)
1998 Michael Jordan 10.6 (50.6% TS)
2011 Dirk Nowitzki 10.3 (68.0% TS)
cpower
RealGM
And1: 7,224

Post#19 » by cpower » Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:17 pm

Curry/Klay/Wiggins is -8.2 per 36 between Dec and Jan (and getting worse). You either trade them or just tank with them. make a fking decision now!
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager

Post#20 » by GQ Hot Dog » Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:19 pm

cpower wrote:Curry/Klay/Wiggins is -8.2 per 36 between Dec and Jan (and getting worse). You either trade them or just tank with them. make a fking decision now!

No! You split up Curry and Klay to improve the defense. Your assertion is not accurate. Improvement on defense is possible just by making that adjustment.
The hottest of takes...

Return to Golden State Warriors