ImageImageImageImageImage

TJD Not Playing Is Costing Warriors Games

Moderators: Sleepy51, Chris Porter's Hair, floppymoose

Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 460

TJD Not Playing Is Costing Warriors Games 

Post#1 » by Romulus » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:58 am

This is just insane. Someone needs to ask the question why. Why does Kerr refuse to play TJD when he has proven that he makes a huge difference.

Of all the bizarre things Kerr has done over the years, this might be his worst mistake. Again, I cannot believe after the game TJD just had that he gets no playing time against the Clippers.

They would have won if he had. And it's true in so many of their losses.

What is going on?
svart
Analyst
And1: 3,455

Re: TJD Not Playing Is Costing Warriors Games 

Post#2 » by svart » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:29 am

he's behind klay, and klay needs his minutes to be efficient
''You don't need to be serious to be focused"
Philosopher and basketball player JaVale McGee
Coxy
RealGM
And1: 14,666

Post#3 » by Coxy » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:17 am

I'd like to understand Kerr's reasoning not to play Trayce today against Zubac. Seemed like a good time for him to come in and be big.
DonaldSanders
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,315

Post#4 » by DonaldSanders » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:21 am

I'm with you, Trayce needs to play. It's just baffling that Steve thinks we might actually make a championship run this year. Play the guys who will be your guys next year, NOW. Let them learn and grow.

Klay is not one of those guys. Saric is not one of those guys. Moody/TJD are, and they barely play. Loon is good in spots, but TJD needs time too -- he has potential to be much better than Loon next year with experience and time in the weight room.
DevinVassell
Bench Warmer
And1: 860

Post#5 » by DevinVassell » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:13 am

So much waste and lost games this season simply due to silly and inflexible rotations from Kerr.

My god, the stupidity of giving TJD dnps when EVERY man and his dog sees his value. Its almost as stupid as playing two-way player wannabe Lester Quinones over Moody.

Almost...
Romulus
Pro Prospect
And1: 460

Post#6 » by Romulus » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:37 am

I just wish one of these reporters would ask the question why to Kerr, because we all know there is no answer for not playing this guy. He's done nothing but play well whenever he's given the chance. It just blows my mind every time I see Saric play the 5 (not his fault) and get abused on defense.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,636

Post#7 » by GSWFan1994 » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:29 pm

Imagine this team with:

- Klay not playing at all, and his minutes splitting between Moody, GP2 and TJD
- Better subs pattern
- Better overall coaching
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#8 » by jozef » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:15 pm

Maybe Kerr's son struggled with TJD in Santa Cruz or something. It's unbelievable mistake.
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,299

Post#9 » by Impuniti » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:30 pm

Coxy wrote:I'd like to understand Kerr's reasoning not to play Trayce today against Zubac. Seemed like a good time for him to come in and be big.

He had a horrible game last match vs the Jazz, so it makes sense. Kerr is a genius!
Impuniti
General Manager
And1: 7,299

Post#10 » by Impuniti » Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:30 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:Imagine this team with:

- Klay not playing at all, and his minutes splitting between Moody, GP2 and TJD
- Better subs pattern
- Better overall coaching

That's a 5-6 seed easily.
killmongrel
Veteran
And1: 1,291

Post#11 » by killmongrel » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:19 pm

I think not giving TJD any minutes in some games is a strategy that a lot of us are just not smart enough to understand. Being .500 is also a strategy that will pay dividends later.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,340

Post#12 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Feb 15, 2024 6:45 pm

He’s still a pretty bad defender outside of rim protection. That being said, he should at least be getting backup big-type minutes (12-15 minutes).
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,716

Post#13 » by Warriorfan » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:40 pm

Kerr and the coaching staff have lots of game of tape and analytics plus know the proper rotations to make a judgment which fans are not privy to.
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#14 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:44 pm

Warriorfan wrote:Kerr and the coaching staff have lots of game of tape and analytics plus know the proper rotations to make a judgment which fans are not privy to.

I wonder what they see in the tape and analytics that says 3 guard lineups are the way to go because to the untrained eye it never appears to work

BayAreaDub
Junior
And1: 206

Post#15 » by BayAreaDub » Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:12 pm

The kid is still soft and gets wrecked by bigs with size. Zubac would’ve feasted on him. It happened before.

Truth is Looney + Green is about as good as it gets when competing against sizable strong bigs.

TDJ is not our savior and needs a good bulking off-season.

The meta concern is valid and that is our persistent lack of size/strength
Warriorfan
RealGM
And1: 2,716

Post#16 » by Warriorfan » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:30 pm

KevinMcreynolds wrote:
Warriorfan wrote:Kerr and the coaching staff have lots of game of tape and analytics plus know the proper rotations to make a judgment which fans are not privy to.

I wonder what they see in the tape and analytics that says 3 guard lineups are the way to go because to the untrained eye it never appears to work

See championships and analytics. CP3 Curry Klay Wiggins Looney was top 7 unit that played more than 10 gms together
KevinMcreynolds
RealGM

Post#17 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:37 pm

that lineup is garbage, don't know how it would possibly be top 7

SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM
And1: 2,695

Post#18 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:03 am

DevinVassell wrote:So much waste and lost games this season simply due to silly and inflexible rotations from Kerr.

My god, the stupidity of giving TJD dnps when EVERY man and his dog sees his value. Its almost as stupid as playing two-way player wannabe Lester Quinones over Moody.

Almost...

Who cares if Quinones is a two way player. The question is whether Quinones is a better player than Moody.

Not playing Trayce is worse. Trayce is our only shot blocker and our 3rd best rim runner and faster than Looney and Saric. Trayce is inexperienced but his innexperience does not show much to me.

Quinones might be better than Moody. There is not a big gap between Quinones and Moody. Saric has some good qulities but I would rather give Saric’s minutes to Trayce. Saric is very slow.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#19 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:16 am

Warriorfan wrote:
KevinMcreynolds wrote:

See championships and analytics. CP3 Curry Klay Wiggins Looney was top 7 unit that played more than 10 gms together

What exactly are you saying? I am interested, but there was a bit of a writing problem.

One of the top 7 units?
The top unit out of 7 units that met the qualification to be considered?

Our recent success seems to be based on Draymond replacing Looney as the center and Kuminga playing with Curry, Draymond and Wiggins. Whether Klay or Poz is the 5th man may not matter. We could also try other guys like Payton, Moody or Trayce as the 5th man.
We could use Chris Paul as the 5th man but one of Draymond or Chri Paul should be on the floor at all times for ball handling which keeps Curry off the ball. Podz is an adequate ball handler but he is not as good of a ball handler as Draymond and Chris Paul.
SinceGatlingWasARookie
RealGM

Post#20 » by SinceGatlingWasARookie » Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:26 am

Coxy wrote:I'd like to understand Kerr's reasoning not to play Trayce today against Zubac. Seemed like a good time for him to come in and be big.

Dray at center with Kuminga Wiggins and Curry was beating the other teams until the Clipper game where Draymond waa minus 12 the worst, kuminga and Wiggins minus 9 and Curry minus 6 because Curry was playing with those guys.

Our guys were awake and sharp recently until the Clippers game. Draymond beat Nurkic but Draymond did not beat Zubac.

We don’t get slow with Trayce. I would have played Trayce. Zubac was 2nd best plus minus for the Clippers. Zubac might not be a good match up for Draymond.

Trayce Dray Kuminga Wiggins Curry means one of Wiggins or Kuminga is defending guards but I think both Wiggins and Kuminga can defend guards.

Return to Golden State Warriors