Official 2007 NFL Draft Thread

ma_falaa_50
Analyst
And1: 0

Post#21 » by ma_falaa_50 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:50 pm

really you guys dont think Troy Smith would be a good pickup? I think he might be a steal.

did they draft anyone or get someone from free agency to replace adalious thomas? I know he is irreplaceble but did they draft a linebacker?
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#22 » by UTMCretin » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:53 pm

ma_falaa_50 wrote:really you guys dont think Troy Smith would be a good pickup? I think he might be a steal.

did they draft anyone or get someone from free agency to replace adalious thomas? I know he is irreplaceble but did they draft a linebacker?

I think Troy could be a steal, but if we had taken him with anything earlier I'd call it a wasted pick. There's a lot of questions about how he will fit into the NFL which caused him to drop as far as he did, so you can't really expect anything from him at this point.

As far as linebackers, they used two picks, a 4th and 6th rounder to mainly just add depth. Antwan Barnes and Prescott Burgess, the second of whom will be likely no more than a Special Teams player
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Post#23 » by SD2042 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:58 pm

Ever since that bad loss at the BCS Bowl it seems like the majority has doubts about Troy Smith. I believe the Ravens got a steal. Smith alos has an advantage with Steve "Air" McNair as a potential mentor on how to better his game and learn to play the game of football both brains and brawn like McNair does. Ravens win out on this potential steal. Look for Smith to be confident and stronger on the field in a couple of seasons.
ma_falaa_50
Analyst

Post#24 » by ma_falaa_50 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:44 am

SD2042 wrote:Ever since that bad loss at the BCS Bowl it seems like the majority has doubts about Troy Smith. I believe the Ravens got a steal. Smith alos has an advantage with Steve "Air" McNair as a potential mentor on how to better his game and learn to play the game of football both brains and brawn like McNair does. Ravens win out on this potential steal. Look for Smith to be confident and stronger on the field in a couple of seasons.

I think people put too much stock in combine workouts. Troy Smith has the intangibles but his main drwback is his height. He can throw, he can run, He can coordinate an offense and he was the leader of the best team in college football last year.

hey is that leanne tweeden? she is filipino like me.
Nowak008
RealGM
And1: 4,303

Post#25 » by Nowak008 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:37 pm

It seemed the Ravens went with our suggestions and took an O-linemen. :wink:

Kiper had a huge hard on for Grubbs, and said that if he was a tackle he would have been a top 10 pick. I wonder if taking Figurs, means that we don't have faith in Sams for next year.

I think the Troy Smith pick was a very good one. Hopefully he can turn out to be like Drew Brees.
John Hammond apologists:
emunney wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote: 9 YEARS!? like any of that matters

THAT LITERALLY IS HIS TENURE.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#26 » by SD2042 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:05 pm

ma_falaa_50 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I think people put too much stock in combine workouts. Troy Smith has the intangibles but his main drawback is his height. He can throw, he can run, He can coordinate an offense and he was the leader of the best team in college football last year.

hey is that leanne tweeden? she is filipino like me.

I have to agree with you there. Despite the height issue. I bet that Troy Smith will prove his worth in a couple of years when he learns everything he needs to know from Steve McNair.

As for the second bolded statement. That's Sofia Vergara and she's Columbian. Muy Caliente!!
kdawg32086
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 930

Post#27 » by kdawg32086 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:17 pm

I'm hoping that everyone who doubted Troy Smith will be wrong, because McNair only has a few years left in the tank and I think Kyle Boller's time in Baltimore should come to an end in the near future. I'm hoping that Smith can beat out Boller for the backup job, so that we can rid ourselves of our biggest wasted first rounder in recent history.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#28 » by SD2042 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:49 pm

How did Boller got pick that high. I will never know. :nonono:
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by UTMCretin » Tue May 1, 2007 12:03 am

Nowak008 wrote:It seemed the Ravens went with our suggestions and took an O-linemen. :wink:

Kiper had a huge hard on for Grubbs, and said that if he was a tackle he would have been a top 10 pick. I wonder if taking Figurs, means that we don't have faith in Sams for next year.

I think the Troy Smith pick was a very good one. Hopefully he can turn out to be like Drew Brees.

I'm really for Grubbs too, I think he can be an underrated Pro Bowl-type stalwart in the offensive line for years to come. Besides, Kiper likes him, how can he fail? ;)

I'm a little curious about the Figurs pick though, because B.J. Sams was quite frankly the best part of our offense last year (with apologies to Todd Heap, who was the best player on our offense last year). Maybe management has decided that B.J. is injury prone or that Figurs is just so much faster that it was worth a 3rd round pick for that upgrade. Who knows? But I definitely think Figurs will come out of training camp as the main kick returner, leaving Sams as the punt returner unless Figurs outperforms him there too
UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#30 » by UrbanLegendMD » Tue May 1, 2007 12:27 am

Now that I think about it we had a solid draft. Troy Smith won the Heisman for a reason. I would've liked Edwards, but I bought a Boller Jersey when he got drafted. I had them picking Grubbs, and he's a strong guard who will start right away. Figurs is a wild card IMO. He's faster than Sams, and having two possibly great returners is never a bad thing.
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.
UTMCretin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by UTMCretin » Tue May 1, 2007 1:16 am

NurbekIL wrote:Now that I think about it we had a solid draft. Troy Smith won the Heisman for a reason. I would've liked Edwards, but I bought a Boller Jersey when he got drafted. I had them picking Grubbs, and he's a strong guard who will start right away. Figurs is a wild card IMO. He's faster than Sams, and having two possibly great returners is never a bad thing.

:rofl: That's why you never buy a player's jersey until/unless they become good, otherwise you get stuck with a Kyle Boller jersey and an everlasting source of shame. But at least its better than buying a Chris Redman jersey, right?
UrbanLegendMD
General Manager
And1: 11

Post#32 » by UrbanLegendMD » Tue May 1, 2007 1:55 am

UTMCretin wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

:rofl: That's why you never buy a player's jersey until/unless they become good, otherwise you get stuck with a Kyle Boller jersey and an everlasting source of shame. But at least its better than buying a Chris Redman jersey, right?

Oh I tried to donate it to the salvation army in Baltimore, and they said they cant take it. Now, i wear it as a joke from time to time.
First the federal government borrowed money; then gave the money to Bank of America; then I borrowed some of that money from Bank of America and gave it to the federal government; then the federal government gave the money back to Bank of America.
DubaLakers
Banned User

Post#33 » by DubaLakers » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:20 pm

I like Baltimore's picks, all smart picks. We got a gamebreaker:KR WR the fastest player in the draft by the way and the best Fullback in the draft, the rest were smart picks that filled needs. Go Ravens!
orangenomad
Ballboy

Post#34 » by orangenomad » Wed Aug 8, 2007 11:31 pm

DubaLakers wrote:I like Baltimore's picks, all smart picks. We got a gamebreaker:KR WR the fastest player in the draft by the way and the best Fullback in the draft, the rest were smart picks that filled needs. Go Ravens!

i gotta agree with you there....but i felt we should've gone after a guy like lamar woodley....wow, he is like a package of suggs and john abraham lite altogether..don't you think?

Return to Baltimore Ravens