Image Image Image Image

Bears select LB Joel Lyiegbuniwe 115th over all

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Re: Bears select LB Joel Lyiegbuniwe 115th over all 

Post#21 » by heir_jordan22 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:03 pm

For those who say OLB should've been the pick: Sweat and Hubbard were taken early in round 4. Ejifor was taken just before we picked in round 5. I prefer Fitts over Ejifor. Idk of any other pass rushers that I liked in the 4th
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,589

Post#22 » by fleet » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:11 pm

heir_jordan22 wrote:For those who say OLB should've been the pick: Sweat and Hubbard were taken early in round 4. Ejifor was taken just before we picked in round 5. I prefer Fitts over Ejifor. Idk of any other pass rushers that I liked in the 4th

Dorance Armstrong and Sweat were taken after Joel

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2018-nfl-draft-results-grades-and-analysis-for-every-teams-pick-in-the-fourth-round/amp/
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Post#23 » by City of Trees » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:42 pm

Maybe Bears medical team disliked Sweat's knee?

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#24 » by fleet » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:55 pm

City of Trees wrote:Maybe Bears medical team disliked Sweat's knee?

Could be, yet Daniels has a knee, and Fitts (who I like), is a medical school topic for the Utah pre med students. If Josh Sweat was taken in the 4th, along with Fitts in the 6th, things would look better on the surface. As it would with any number of DTs and O line prospects instead of again, a little back up middle linebacker. Although I will caveat, box hybrid safeties are en vogue now if that's the plan.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#25 » by City of Trees » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:52 am

Has anyone found game tape on Joel? If so please share!

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#26 » by fleet » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:38 am

No, but found this. I'm not crazy alone:
Hub Arkush wrote:But the selection of Joel Iyiegbuniwe in the fourth round out of Western Kentucky, a prospect from a tier-two FBS school unknown to many and considered a seventh-round pick or priority free agent by most who had scouted him significantly, slowed the Bears' roll.

The kid may prove to be a steal, but the fact that he is a poor man's clone of first-round pick Smith and is slated to compete at the same position while players rated by many significantly higher at other positions of need were still on the board was disappointing

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20180428/hub-arkush-bears-final-draft-picks-are-head-scratchers
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,237

Post#27 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:18 am

I was surprised by the extra ILB they drafted. I would think a cb or pass rusher might have been available.

Who knows though. Some of these late round ones could have been selected for special teams considering the bears have had their fair share of issues on that end.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#28 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:51 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=19
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#29 » by City of Trees » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:23 pm

I found game tape on Joel. Skills that stand out right away speed, range, instinctive, quick decisions, can blitz, good tackler. Id recommend everyone watch.

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#30 » by City of Trees » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:27 pm

fleet wrote:No, but found this. I'm not crazy alone:
Hub Arkush wrote:But the selection of Joel Iyiegbuniwe in the fourth round out of Western Kentucky, a prospect from a tier-two FBS school unknown to many and considered a seventh-round pick or priority free agent by most who had scouted him significantly, slowed the Bears' roll.

The kid may prove to be a steal, but the fact that he is a poor man's clone of first-round pick Smith and is slated to compete at the same position while players rated by many significantly higher at other positions of need were still on the board was disappointing

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/20180428/hub-arkush-bears-final-draft-picks-are-head-scratchers

You're not crazy. Ita probably not you...I'm just feeling some type of way right now because :

Bears fans: " we need to get more picks in the later rounds because Pace finds gems like Howard, Cohen, Jackson, ect"

Also Bears fans: " wtf is Pace doing? There were higher rated players on the board when the took Joel"
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#31 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:16 pm

City of Trees wrote:I found game tape on Joel. Skills that stand out right away speed, range, instinctive, quick decisions, can blitz, good tackler. Id recommend everyone watch.

I expect the Bears to blitz a lot, because all the LBs they drafted have that capability. Certainly Quan does.
ThisGuyFawkes
Analyst
And1: 1,628
Location: Where the sugar cane grows taller than the God we once believed in

Post#32 » by ThisGuyFawkes » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:01 pm

Apparently some draft evaluators really like him.

https://sportsmockery.com/2018/04/top-nfl-evaluator-explains-why-bears-most-hated-pick-is-a-steal/

I watched the first half of the linked game above. He seemed to mostly play back in coverage and did a good job. At around 16:45, he makes a nice tackle 1-on-1 on a wide receiver. Near the end of the 2nd quarter, he makes a tackle and strips the ball for a fumble. I really didn't see much else.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: RE: Re: Bears select LB Joel Lyiegbuniwe 115th over all 

Post#33 » by City of Trees » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:54 pm

mlitney01 wrote:Apparently some draft evaluators really like him.

https://sportsmockery.com/2018/04/top-nfl-evaluator-explains-why-bears-most-hated-pick-is-a-steal/

I watched the first half of the linked game above. He seemed to mostly play back in coverage and did a good job. At around 16:45, he makes a nice tackle 1-on-1 on a wide receiver. Near the end of the 2nd quarter, he makes a tackle and strips the ball for a fumble. I really didn't see much else.

2nd half is way better. He finishes the game with something like 15 tackles, one sack, and two or three tackles for loss

Thanks for attaching the article. Good read. You guys notice how he envisions Joel to play the Stacked linebacker position. So he projects to play next to roquan not compete for his job
O
heir_jordan22
Assistant Coach
And1: 325

Post#34 » by heir_jordan22 » Tue May 1, 2018 3:28 pm

Daniel Jeremiah compared him to Kwon Alexander right after the pick was announced.

Christian Jones was a good backup and one if the best special teams players. I think Joel's athleticism will go a long way in replacing Jones in that department. And he'll probably compete with Kwit for a starting job after this season because Trevathan's contract will expire.
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#35 » by Axxo » Tue May 1, 2018 4:22 pm

City of Trees wrote:
fleet wrote:No, but found this. I'm not crazy alone:

You're not crazy. Ita probably not you...I'm just feeling some type of way right now because :

Bears fans: " we need to get more picks in the later rounds because Pace finds gems like Howard, Cohen, Jackson, ect"

Also Bears fans: " wtf is Pace doing? There were higher rated players on the board when the took Joel"

Put me down for bears fans comment #2
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#36 » by fleet » Tue May 1, 2018 4:44 pm

Axxo wrote:
City of Trees wrote:

Yeah me too I'm not so big on point #1. Although some folks are pushing that narrative. Pace has done ok with 4th rounders. But 4th rounders are not really late round picks. That's a high talent round. Other than that, he basically has Jordan Howard in round 5, that's it. I think people are counting players like Cam Meredith and Bryce Callahan as a late round draft picks. But they were free agents. You can bet most teams have found "late round gems" and undrafted free agents though. There is a focus around here that can't imagine other teams doing similar stuff as the great Pace.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Re: RE: Re: Bears select LB Joel Lyiegbuniwe 115th over all 

Post#37 » by fleet » Wed May 2, 2018 4:35 am

City of Trees wrote:

2nd half is way better. He finishes the game with something like 15 tackles, one sack, and two or three tackles for loss

Thanks for attaching the article. Good read. You guys notice how he envisions Joel to play the Stacked linebacker position. So he projects to play next to roquan not compete for his job
O

Nickle defender? Or maybe like Peppers? Thick Peppers.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#38 » by Susan » Wed May 2, 2018 3:39 pm

fleet wrote:
Axxo wrote:
City of Trees wrote:You're not crazy. Ita probably not you...I'm just feeling some type of way right now because :

Yeah me too I'm not so big on point #1. Although some folks are pushing that narrative. Pace has done ok with 4th rounders. But 4th rounders are not really late round picks. That's a high talent round. Other than that, he basically has Jordan Howard in round 5, that's it. I think people are counting players like Cam Meredith and Bryce Callahan as a late round draft picks. But they were free agents. You can bet most teams have found "late round gems" and undrafted free agents though. There is a focus around here that can't imagine other teams doing similar stuff as the great Pace.

2015-
4: Langford - Meh pick, produced a little but Howard came in and was a home run
5: Amos is a high level starter from the 5th round
6: Tayo Fabuluje didn't stick in the NFL

2016-
4: Kwiatkoski - Developing into a solid LB
4a: Deon Bush - Meh
4b: Deiondre' Hall - Swing & a miss
5: Howard - STUD HOME RUN ABSOLUTE MONSTER YES MORE PLZ
6: DeAndre Houston-Carson - No idea
7: Daniel Braverman - lol

2017-
4: Eddie Jackson - HOME RUN
4a: Cohen - HOME RUN
5: Jordan Morgan - No idea

Between the past 4 drafts, Pace has hit 4 big time home runs in the last 4 rounds. He spammed picks at the safety positions and missed a few times but ultimately got us Amos and Jackson. He took 3 RBs and hit home runs on two of them.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bears select LB Joel Lyiegbuniwe 115th over all 

Post#39 » by City of Trees » Wed May 2, 2018 4:30 pm

fleet wrote:
City of Trees wrote:

O

Nickle defender? Or maybe like Peppers? Thick Peppers.

No I see Trevathan if he can get stronger specifically his lower body

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#40 » by fleet » Wed May 2, 2018 5:09 pm

Susan wrote:
fleet wrote:
Axxo wrote:Put me down for bears fans comment #2

2015-
4: Langford - Meh pick, produced a little but Howard came in and was a home run
5: Amos is a high level starter from the 5th round
6: Tayo Fabuluje didn't stick in the NFL

2016-
4: Kwiatkoski - Developing into a solid LB
4a: Deon Bush - Meh
4b: Deiondre' Hall - Swing & a miss
5: Howard - STUD HOME RUN ABSOLUTE MONSTER YES MORE PLZ
6: DeAndre Houston-Carson - No idea
7: Daniel Braverman - lol

2017-
4: Eddie Jackson - HOME RUN
4a: Cohen - HOME RUN
5: Jordan Morgan - No idea

Between the past 4 drafts, Pace has hit 4 big time home runs in the last 4 rounds. He spammed picks at the safety positions and missed a few times but ultimately got us Amos and Jackson. He took 3 RBs and hit home runs on two of them.

Didn't you read where I said he did ok in round 4? Outside of round 4 he basically has zip to crow about other than Howard, and I already pointed Howard out. And you are getting carried away calling Jackson And Cohen home runs. They are NFL players. Maybe will be above average guys.

4 is not lower round to me. That is a high talent round. 5, 6, 7, those are low rounds. Anyway. Most (all?) teams find players in this area. Ryan Pace doesn't have any kind of special reputation for this but among some of his devotees.

If a GM is doing awesome in late rounds that should propel his team well into the playoffs unless he is crapping the bed in higher rounds and free agency. Ryan Pace finally started GMing last year after an abysmal start. And even last year featured Mike Glennon.

Return to Chicago Bears