Bears select LB Joel Lyiegbuniwe 115th over all

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings
And1: 5,462

Re: Bears select LB Joel Lyiegbuniwe 115th over all 

Post#41 » by City of Trees » Wed May 2, 2018 5:56 pm

To get a starter in round 5 or after in 2 out of 3 drafts is pretty good.

Finding UDFA who provide depth or even start is a big plus.

I dont have the info in front of me but id bet Pace is better than Emry in his first 3 drafts at finding this talent. Certainly that doesn't mean Pace has a super late round scout talent, but it could mean he is above average here.

Sent from my LG-H872 using RealGM mobile app
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,589

Post#42 » by fleet » Wed May 2, 2018 6:17 pm

:
You guys use a lot of subjective standards. Fair enough. But this is his team. These are his players (aside from a couple good Emery guys). Are they not? And it has amounted to an 8th seed. That's math
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: RE: Re: Bears select LB Joel Lyiegbuniwe 115th over all 

Post#43 » by City of Trees » Wed May 2, 2018 6:24 pm

fleet wrote:You guys use a lot of subjective standards. Fair enough. But this is his team. These are his players (aside from a couple good Emery guys). Are they not? And it has amounted to an 8th seed. That's math.

Again for the record, last season I felt it was too early in the rebuild to demand Wins.

Ive already stated this year I want results.

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#44 » by fleet » Wed May 2, 2018 6:34 pm

City of Trees wrote:
fleet wrote:You guys use a lot of subjective standards. Fair enough. But this is his team. These are his players (aside from a couple good Emery guys). Are they not? And it has amounted to an 8th seed. That's math.

Again for the record, last season I felt it was too early in the rebuild to demand Wins.

Ive already stated this year I want results

And I have already stated that I felt last year he finally started becoming a real GM (ha), because of the Trubisky move. And this year forward, he will perhaps get results because of Trubisky, a very good 2018 draft, great off season, and his hiring of a good modern coach. Not so much becase of his early years. He grew up. Learned on the job. No way you can't get past the bottom 3rd of the NFL after 3 years if you are doing stellar as a GM. He hasnt been.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bears select LB Joel Lyiegbuniwe 115th over all 

Post#45 » by City of Trees » Wed May 2, 2018 7:41 pm

fleet wrote:
City of Trees wrote:

And I have already stated that I felt last year he finally started becoming a real GM (ha), because of the Trubisky move. And this year forward, he will perhaps get results because of Trubisky, a very good 2018 draft, great off season, and his hiring of a good modern coach. Not so much becase of his early years. He grew up. Learned on the job. No way you can't get past the bottom 3rd of the NFL after 3 years if you are doing stellar as a GM. He hasnt been.

Not so much of from his early years? I disagree. Those were the unsexy years he was fighting in the trenches. I have an appreciation of the work it takes to tear down a roster. It doesn't happen in one or two offseasons. No one is perfect and his record shows that... But I always saw the vision and felt it was on track for this moment.

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#46 » by fleet » Wed May 2, 2018 7:49 pm

City of Trees wrote:
fleet wrote:
City of Trees wrote:Again for the record, last season I felt it was too early in the rebuild to demand Wins.

Not so much of from his early years? I disagree. Those were the unsexy years he was fighting in the trenches. I have an appreciation of the work it takes to tear down a roster. It doesn't happen in one or two offseasons. No one is perfect and his record shows that... But I always saw the vision and felt it was on track for this moment.

in the NFL, yeah 1 or 2 year turnarounds can happen. But we've arrived in year 3. Still no turnaround. I'm gonna say, the work hadn't been put in. These are his players. As previously pointed out, most of the other bad teams below the Bears over Pace's tenure have done better. In some cases lots better. Hopefully this offseason and Trubisky will spur a revival.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#47 » by City of Trees » Wed May 2, 2018 8:09 pm

His defense was ready to give results. Failure in year 3 came from the offense. Specifically injury riddled WR and TE.

Bears tied for 8th/9th, Right? If they had their WR1, WR2, and TE1, do you think they could've escaped the bottom third with Mitch?

Obviously we cant live with hypothetical results but I believe the answer provides context on how close Pace was at 3 years
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#48 » by fleet » Wed May 2, 2018 8:22 pm

I dont know. Pace put the team in a 16 million dollar hole with Mike Glennon.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#49 » by City of Trees » Wed May 2, 2018 8:24 pm

fleet wrote:I dont know. Pace put the team in a 16 million dollar hole with Mike Glennon.

Cap space has never been an issue.

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#50 » by fleet » Wed May 2, 2018 8:26 pm

City of Trees wrote:
fleet wrote:I dont know. Pace put the team in a 16 million dollar hole with Mike Glennon.

Injuries happen. Hopefully you as a GM have built enough depth and quality to if not thrive, survive
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Bears select LB Joel Lyiegbuniwe 115th over all 

Post#51 » by City of Trees » Wed May 2, 2018 9:40 pm

fleet wrote:
City of Trees wrote:

Injuries happen. Hopefully you as a GM have built enough depth and quality to if not thrive, survive

100% agree... But did you see the third lart to my post (one before your Glennon post)

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#52 » by fleet » Wed May 2, 2018 9:58 pm

What you're really asking me if Cameron Merideth and Kevin White transform the Bears offense that was among the worst in the NFL into something of an ascending team offense. No. I wish I could.l say that. I might corollarily be asking why Ryan Pace signed all that receiver room bleh around them. Or bloody Mike Glennon to throw to them. Or why Bears QBs got sacked so much.

Look, we can go back and forth about how good the Bears were. You look at the trees, you like the trees. I see the forest. Maybe we're both missing something.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#53 » by City of Trees » Wed May 2, 2018 11:31 pm

fleet wrote:What you're really asking me if Cameron Merideth and Kevin White transform the Bears offense that was among the worst in the NFL into something of an ascending team offense.

Nah thats not what i was asking. The point was to say on paper the club was ascending from the 7th spot from where Pace took over. Still... I agree the roster was not ready as injuries proved.but agree to disagree moving on.

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#54 » by Susan » Thu May 3, 2018 12:29 am

No hole from Glennon. A real hole is the contract that Brock Osweiler got from Houston.

The Bears were able to kick the tires on a QB and walked away without much difficulty. Houston had to trade a freaking 2nd rounder to get rid of Brock's contract.

The difference between Pace and the Bulls GM group is that Pace IMO has good to excellent foresight. He saw that his roster in 2014 was not ready for anything and had to take a step or two back to move forward. Sure, Glennon was a bust but who knows what you're getting in FA and to be able to take that risk and then walk away from it without any serious harm done is fantastic.

Additionally, Pace has assembled two fantastic head coaching staffs which has given our team a chance to be competitive on both sides of the ball. Say what you want about Fox, he brought credibility here and brought in both Fangio and Gase. Now, we've got a young head coach that seems to understand the game and where it's going, not to mention he was able to manage the situation correctly and get Fangio to stay. I think that this point will be forgotten over the years but Fangio staying really keeps this train moving forward. If Lovie were able to EVER hire a decent OC, he would have been golden but after nearly a dozen years here, he failed miserably. Additionally, Lovie was unable to manage the Ron Rivera situation and that set back our franchise a few years.

For all of the faults that Trestman had, his inability to get that DC postion correct was his biggest downfall. Not getting Maraneli to stay and bringing in Mel Tucker to do an absolute crap job shot him right in the foot from day 1. That's not the case today.

I remember you being excited about Trestman (not dogging you, I was too) and you talking about how exciting it was to have a modern offense for once. Now, we've got a legit offensive HC who just coached under one of the greats and we've got a guy who pushed the offensive game in a unique way in the NCAA as his OC. They know what types of players they want, they know what these players can and can't do and they're going to exploit matchups because we're deep on the offensive side of the ball for the first time in forever.
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#55 » by Axxo » Thu May 3, 2018 3:31 pm

Wow..do i disagree on the take about Glennon. Anyone could see that guy was not worth 16 M before the bears signed him. There was no reported competition for his services. That was a glaring error in judgement.
City of Trees
Forum Mod - Kings
Forum Mod - Kings

Post#56 » by City of Trees » Thu May 3, 2018 3:46 pm

Axxo wrote:Wow..do i disagree on the take about Glennon. Anyone could see that guy was not worth 16 M before the bears signed him. There was no reported competition for his services. That was a glaring error in judgement.

Glennon was the "highest rated" qb in that free agent class. Overpaid for sure... But if you have tons of cap and you structure the deal for one year only... Why the fuss? Paying Glennon $5M or $16M doesnt change anything other than how YOU feel about the contract.

Dude was trash tho.

Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#57 » by Susan » Thu May 3, 2018 5:04 pm

Axxo wrote:Wow..do i disagree on the take about Glennon. Anyone could see that guy was not worth 16 M before the bears signed him. There was no reported competition for his services. That was a glaring error in judgement.

The contract was a heavy hit on one year. I'd much rather pay big one year for this lottery ticket at QB than a 3 year guaranteed deal with say $8m/year going forward.

Do you see how having a big one year deal didn't saddle us going forward?
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#58 » by Axxo » Thu May 3, 2018 5:25 pm

Susan wrote:

The contract was a heavy hit on one year. I'd much rather pay big one year for this lottery ticket at QB than a 3 year guaranteed deal with say $8m/year going forward.

Do you see how having a big one year deal didn't saddle us going forward?

I get that part, but it was a poor evaluation even for 1 year. Glennon was completely immobile esp in a situation where theres no targets and if they did their homework he would have lasted more than 4 games.

Return to Chicago Bears