Image Image Image Image

Off-season plan

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,130

Off-season plan 

Post#1 » by patryk7754 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:35 pm

Since we're nearing the end of the Bears' season I thought now would be a good time to discuss our off-season plan.

First, I think Fox will be gone unless the bears finish playing the rest of the games like they did against Bengals.

I think our top targets will be WR, CB and OL

I think our focus will be in the draft because I think the FA class is not as strong as it has been recently (at least before cuts happen)
patryk7754
General Manager

Re: Off-season plan 

Post#2 » by patryk7754 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:42 pm

http://www.spotrac.com/research/nfl/nfl-players-on-the-2018-roster-bubble-664/

As the 2017 NFL regular season heads toward the home stretch, we've identified two players from each NFL team who may be trending toward the 2018 roster bubble, based on performance vs. compensation & dead cap structure. The list below shows the individual financial implications to trade or release each player based on various bonus dates some may have. We'll continue to update this list as new reports emerge. Did we miss someone?

Very thoughtful piece

I think the two most obvious ones are Glennon and Wilkerson. Three interesting ones are Dez Bryant, Cordy Glenn, and Richard Sherman. I don't think any of them would be cut but if they are we should go hard after them especially since Glenn and Sherman would come with huge discounts because of the injuries. I think Talib should be on there as well. It seems like he's always one of the main people brought up when talking cuts so he's someone to look out for.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#3 » by patryk7754 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:33 am

Here's my off-season plan 1.0

Coaching
Fire Fox and all offensive coaches
Keep Fangio
Hire Pat Shurmur

Shurmur has done an amazing job running that offense in Minnesota. He's shown that he can be successful with any type of QB, great play caller, and great at adjusting. He even has some Head coaching experience since he had to fill in as the Interim HC last season for Zimmer. I think he's a perfect fit for Trubisky.

Head Coach option 2: Josh McDaniels, Patriots OC
Head Coach option 3: Darrell Bevell, Seahawks OC
Head Coach option 4: John Morton, Jets OC

Cuts
Glennon: Obvious reason. Saves 11.5 mil
McPhee: He's a great talent but he's always hurt. Maybe we can restructure his contract. Cutting him saves 7.075mil
Dion Sims: He's had little impact for us and the money saved would probably be more valuable the him being on the team. Saves 5.67mil

Total Savings: 24.24mil

Free Agency

Cap Space after cuts 63.7mil

Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, 5/60: Technically he's not a FA but I'll be pretty surprised if he's not cut. The salary was kind of a shot in the dark because I'm not sure what his value will be.

Jarvis Landry, WR: 4/56: I think he's out of Miami and I believe he's the best WR on the market as of right now. Perfect guy for Tru since he can run a bunch of short pass plays and let Landry do work. Davante Adams would be my second option since it would be a blow to the Packers.

Donte Moncrief, WR, 2/12: I think he's a real under the radar guy. He's been hurt a lot but he's always had a lot of promise. He doesn't really get a lot of catches but when he does, its usually a TD.

Benjamin Watson. TE1/3: He's been in the league for many years and he's always been good. Great safety blanket for Tru while Shaheen develops. He'll be much needed with Miller's injury and Sims being gone.

Trumaine Johnson, CB5/70mil: We've been playing it safe at CB now its time to go get a difference maker,

Sebastian Janikowski, K 2/6: Our kickers have been poop

Draft

RD 1: Connor Williams, OT
RD 2: Sam Hubbard, OLB
RD 4: Beau Benzschawel, G
RD 4: Jake Browning, QB
RD 5: Holton Hill, CB
RD 6: Ian Thomas, TE
RD 7: Jauan Jennings, WR
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#4 » by Red Larrivee » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:31 am

I don't have a detailed plan, but I think free agency should be built around upgrading the offense at WR. Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkins would be my main targets. I'd re-sign Kendall Wright as our slot.

For the draft, BPA continues to be the strategy, but I hope we can add more pieces to the defense, particularly the secondary. I know we're feeling good about Amos and Jackson, but I think Minkah Fitzpatrick would be a great add. If not him, I do like Connor Williams for the line.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,237

Post#5 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:23 am

patryk7754 wrote:Since we're nearing the end of the Bears' season I thought now would be a good time to discuss our off-season plan.

First, I think Fox will be gone unless the bears finish playing the rest of the games like they did against Bengals.

I think our focus will be in the draft because I think the FA class is not as strong as it has been recently (at least before cuts happen)

Fox will be gone no matter what. Reports indicate just that.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Axxo
Analyst
And1: 518

Post#6 » by Axxo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:16 am

patryk7754 wrote:Here's my off-season plan 1.0

Coaching
Keep Fangio
Hire Pat Shurmur

Shurmur has done an amazing job running that offense in Minnesota. He's shown that he can be successful with any type of QB, great play caller, and great at adjusting. He even has some Head coaching experience since he had to fill in as the Interim HC last season for Zimmer. I think he's a perfect fit for Trubisky.

Cuts
McPhee: He's a great talent but he's always hurt. Maybe we can restructure his contract. Cutting him saves 7.075mil
Dion Sims: He's had little impact for us and the money saved would probably be more valuable the him being on the team. Saves 5.67mil

Free Agency

Muhammad Wilkerson, DE, 5/60: Technically he's not a FA but I'll be pretty surprised if he's not cut. The salary was kind of a shot in the dark because I'm not sure what his value will be.

Jarvis Landry, WR: 4/56: I think he's out of Miami and I believe he's the best WR on the market as of right now. Perfect guy for Tru since he can run a bunch of short pass plays and let Landry do work. Davante Adams would be my second option since it would be a blow to the Packers.

Donte Moncrief, WR, 2/12: I think he's a real under the radar guy. He's been hurt a lot but he's always had a lot of promise. He doesn't really get a lot of catches but when he does, its usually a TD.

Benjamin Watson. TE1/3: He's been in the league for many years and he's always been good. Great safety blanket for Tru while Shaheen develops. He'll be much needed with Miller's injury and Sims being gone.

Trumaine Johnson, CB5/70mil: We've been playing it safe at CB now its time to go get a difference maker,

Draft

And not cut Jerrell Freeman...? Need to add some more to your list. Think we need to draft a WR high except get somebody who can run routes. Reciever core on this team sucs. Need pass rushers to execute Fangio's schemes. I would go WR and DE in the 1st two rounds depending on how they rate. Then a G, OT, OLB would not take a QB. If Bears somehow got top 5 pick and Barkley was available I'd take him otherwise trade down for a haul.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#7 » by patryk7754 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:18 am

Axxo wrote:

Coaching
Keep Fangio
Hire Pat Shurmur

Cuts

Free Agency

Draft

And not cut Jerrell Freeman...? Need to add some more to your list. Think we need to draft a WR high except get somebody who can run routes. Reciever core on this team sucs. Need pass rushers to execute Fangio's schemes. I would go WR and DE in the 1st two rounds depending on how they rate. Then a G, OT, OLB would not take a QB. If Bears somehow got top 5 pick and Barkley was available I'd take him otherwise trade down for a haul.

I wouldn't cut Freeman because he's not a big cap hit and when he's actually on the field he's our best defensive player. I believe he's also on his last year. I don't think we need to draft a WR high after my signings. A top three of Landry, Meredith and Moncrief is pretty good. And then you got Wheaton as your fourth. That's not bad at all. Not tops in the league but, j think better than average. We could also add someone like Amendola. I don't understand why you would take Barkley with Howard and Cohen on the team already
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#8 » by patryk7754 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:23 am

RedBulls23 wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:Since we're nearing the end of the Bears' season I thought now would be a good time to discuss our off-season plan.

Reports don't really matter to me. They're wrong the cast majority of the time. I like to look at the tendencies of the GM in a situation like this and Pace has shown that he has a lot of patience. Unless they look like absolute garbage I think fox has a good chance if keeping the job. And you have to keep in mind that ownership probably doesn't want to fire a 3rd coach in like what, 5/6 years? One huge thing against fox however is that he has obviously mismanaged Trubisky. People like to compare what he's doing with Tru with what he did with Tebow but that doesn't make sense because trubisky has shown signs of being a really good passers but has never been given and opportunity to learn and develop
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#9 » by patryk7754 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:24 am

I think Josh Gordon will also be available. Dorsey would probably not want to have to start a rebuild having to worry about Gordon all the time
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#10 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:29 am

patryk7754 wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:

Reports don't really matter to me. They're wrong the cast majority of the time. I like to look at the tendencies of the GM in a situation like this and Pace has shown that he has a lot of patience. Unless they look like absolute garbage I think fox has a good chance if keeping the job. And you have to keep in mind that ownership probably doesn't want to fire a 3rd coach in like what, 5/6 years? One huge thing against fox however is that he has obviously mismanaged Trubisky. People like to compare what he's doing with Tru with what he did with Tebow but that doesn't make sense because trubisky has shown signs of being a really good passers but has never been given and opportunity to learn and develop

I'll put my money on Fox getting fired.
Axxo
Analyst

Post#11 » by Axxo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:06 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
Axxo wrote:

Coaching
Keep Fangio
Hire Pat Shurmur

Cuts

Free Agency

Draft

I wouldn't cut Freeman because he's not a big cap hit and when he's actually on the field he's our best defensive player. I believe he's also on his last year. I don't think we need to draft a WR high after my signings. A top three of Landry, Meredith and Moncrief is pretty good. And then you got Wheaton as your fourth. That's not bad at all. Not tops in the league but, j think better than average. We could also add someone like Amendola. I don't understand why you would take Barkley with Howard and Cohen on the team already

This receiver core needs to go. We all can appreciate you support, but those guys suc bro.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#12 » by patryk7754 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:11 pm

Axxo wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:
Axxo wrote:

This receiver core needs to go. We all can appreciate you support, but those guys suc bro.

Right. That's why I sign Landry and Moncrief
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#13 » by patryk7754 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:14 pm

RedBulls23 wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:Fox will be gone no matter what. Reports indicate just that.

I would too but I just don't think it's such a sure thing. If I'm remembering correctly, there were a lot of reports of him being fired last year as well
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#14 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:18 pm

patryk7754 wrote:
RedBulls23 wrote:
patryk7754 wrote:Reports don't really matter to me. They're wrong the cast majority of the time. I like to look at the tendencies of the GM in a situation like this and Pace has shown that he has a lot of patience. Unless they look like absolute garbage I think fox has a good chance if keeping the job. And you have to keep in mind that ownership probably doesn't want to fire a 3rd coach in like what, 5/6 years? One huge thing against fox however is that he has obviously mismanaged Trubisky. People like to compare what he's doing with Tru with what he did with Tebow but that doesn't make sense because trubisky has shown signs of being a really good passers but has never been given and opportunity to learn and develop

I would too but I just don't think it's such a sure thing. If I'm remembering correctly, there were a lot of reports of him being fired last year as well

No, there really wasn't.

Not like this. Not when everyone in Chicago is saying he's gone and where even guys like Schefter around the league are saying Fox is done.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,442

Post#15 » by Susan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:05 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:I don't have a detailed plan, but I think free agency should be built around upgrading the offense at WR. Allen Robinson and Sammy Watkins would be my main targets. I'd re-sign Kendall Wright as our slot.

For the draft, BPA continues to be the strategy, but I hope we can add more pieces to the defense, particularly the secondary. I know we're feeling good about Amos and Jackson, but I think Minkah Fitzpatrick would be a great add. If not him, I do like Connor Williams for the line.

Cam, Wright, Robinson/Watkins, Inman + a top 3 round WR would be a great WR core. Would like it to where we wouldn't have to rely on either Cam or a rookie WR to produce. Scary thing is both Watkins and Robinson's injury histories.

I think we need a difference maker at OLB still. If we had a rotation of Floyd, McPhee, Willie Young and Chubb or Key, that would be plenty of firepower to get to the QB.

I'd prefer a CB over another safety. Amos grades out super high on PFF and Jackson is a monster.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#16 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:53 pm

There's no way the Rams let Watkins go in free agency.
chitownsports4ever
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,959

Post#17 » by chitownsports4ever » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:04 am

RedBulls23 wrote:There's no way the Rams let Watkins go in free agency.

There is no way Adams or Robinson will be allowed to walk either .

Jordy Nelson is 32 and has one more year left so the Pack more than likely will look to rework his deal for less money and funnel that money to Adams .

Robinson is the Jags biggest priority after they extended their defensive guy a few weeks ago . They will more than likely franchise Robinson and end up chasing Eli to replace Bortles

I doubt the Rams traded for Watkins just to let him walk

Landry is a slot receiver and averages 8 yards per catch we would be better of resigning Wright for less and try and find someone that can blow the top off the defense which is what we need

Moncrief has never lived up to expectations even with Luck healthy

I would not get my hopes up for some big splash in free agency for a wideout . He may have to maneuver in the draft find someone in the 2nd or 3rd rd .

If this team goes 7-9 Fox will probably be back now I would not be surprised if they kept Fox and brought in Mike McCoy as OC.

There are so many variables in the Fox situation that no one really knows but I doubt it will be because of the belief that hes mishandling Mitch .
Got a Gold Name Plate that says "I wish you would"
Axxo
Analyst

Post#18 » by Axxo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:24 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:

There is way Adams or Robinson will be allowed to walk either .

Jordy Nelson is 32 and has one more year left so the Pack more than likely to rework his deal for less money and funnel that money to Adams .

Robinson is the Jags biggest priority after they extended their defensive guy a few weeks ago . They will more than likely franchise Robinson and end up chasing Eli to replace Bortles

Landry is a slot receiver and averages 8 yards per catch we would be better of resigning Wright for less and try and find someone that blow the top off the defense which is what we need

I would not get my hopes up for some big splash in free agency for a wideout . He may have to maneuver in the draft find someone in the 2nd or 3rd rd .

If this team goes 7-9 Fox will probably be back nowI I would not be surprised if they kept Fox and brought in Mike McCoy as OC.

There are so many variables in the Fox situation that no one really knows but I doubt it will be because of the belief that hes mishandling Mitch .

Im starting to hear rumblings sounding like Fox is making the case for job. I dont see 7 but if Det chokes then bears could end up at 6 wins which could be enough for Fox to hang around.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#19 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:50 am

chitownsports4ever wrote:

There is way Adams or Robinson will be allowed to walk either .

Jordy Nelson is 32 and has one more year left so the Pack more than likely to rework his deal for less money and funnel that money to Adams .

Landry is a slot receiver and averages 8 yards per catch we would be better of resigning Wright for less and try and find someone that blow the top off the defense which is what we need

If this team goes 7-9 Fox will probably be back nowI I would not be surprised if they kept Fox and brought in Mike McCoy as OC.

Agree with everything except for Fox. I think he's gone no matter what.

I think a trade is probably one of the best way to get that WR. I remember TY Hilton possibly being on the block. Maybe a 5th or 6th rounder gets it done.
patryk7754
General Manager

Post#20 » by patryk7754 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:37 am

I think there's a good chance that Bryant is out of Dallas. With Dak as the starter, Dez's role has diminished greatly and the cowboy's might not think he's worth the price tag. I don't think he'll be cut so this would have to happen via trade. Possibly a third rounder.

Return to Chicago Bears